Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:30 AM   #1  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

Default First day on Prozac

Hi everyone. Today I finally took Prozac for the first time. Doc described it about 2 months ago, and I was too scared to fill the prescription. Had an AWFUL weekend... I call it a "mood" but it's so much more than that. DH went and had the prescription filled for me and has been urging me to take one. I've talked to a few people and I finally decided to try it today. I know it's not going to work miracles in one day but here's hoping I can see results soon.

My biggest fear is gaining weight. I'm working so hard to lose that that would be the worst side effect.

Wish me luck. Would love to talk to anyone who's been there-done that. This is a hard thing to do. I've been depressed all my life but my parents always ignored it and I just tried to deal with it. I feel awful for all the crap I've put my husband through... and I REALLY don't want my kids to see it, like they did this weekend. That's the kicker.

Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:04 AM   #2  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations on taking the first step to getting better! I can understand your reluctance to take meds, I felt that way long ago. But when you start to feel better, you won't want to go back to feeling out of control. Depression does effect everyone around us, nearly as much as it does us, so think of it also as taking care of your whole family.

As for weight gain, I don't know if it's a side effect of prozac or not. My only experience with it was in college. It was the first drug I was ever prescribed. I think I was too young for it b/c it made me worse almost immediately so I stopped for a week, got better, started it again, got worse, so I knew it wasn't the right one or me. Apparently some drugs, as we know now don't work so well in younger people.

Good luck and we are all here for you.
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #3  
Starting Over...again

S/C/G: 210/210/190

Height: 5'9"

My doctor started me on Serafem (same as Prozac) for PMDD. This is my third week on it. I think I feel better but I have noticed that I've been more sleepy. I'm hoping that will go away but I read that it could take 5-6 weeks to fully feel the effects of the meds. I should know in about a week and a half if it's going to work or not. So far I really want to say it is helping (to keep me off the 11:00 news for doing something unspeakable) with the way I feel. We will see...

Good luck with yours and I hope it gives you the strength you need. Keep us posted.
L8again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #4  
Liz

S/C/G: 307/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

I found that prozac pepped me up, where as Zoloft slowed me down. My dr. told me there's less weight gain with prozac. I wouldn't worry. You should start feeling better soon..
Holdensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:17 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I liked being on Prozac... made me feel better and I lost weight while on it. Zoloft made me feel jittery and gave me nasty thoughts, that stuff was evil LOL.

Everyone's reactions are going to be different so just take it one day at a time and don't be afraid to call your doctor if you experience anything unusual.

GOOD LUCK !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 PM   #6  
One Busy Mom!

S/C/G: 149/166/130

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks, everyone. It's so nice to know I'm not the only one who has to use the stuff...
Treighsie is offline   Reply With Quote