Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #1  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

Default Just joined WW!

Hello everyone..... I've been a member here for quite some time, and am once again attempting weight loss. BUT this time I know it will stick! This time, it's for real! I was so fed up, I went to my local WW on a whim and joined. Enough is enough. Today was my first day! I have a few questions... after browsing this forum I'm hoping I'm not missing my answers somewhere but if so, you can just stear me in the right thread direction....

My questions....

-I have "book 1" - I asked what that meant when I signed up and I was told there are a total of 10 books. So, when will I get the others?
The next 9 meetings? Or when I lose a certain amount of weight? And what is different about each book? Do the points system change?

-I know they want you to eat your allowance but today I actually was under by 7 points. Is that OK? Someone at the meeting said never to do that, to always eat all your points or you won't lose. True?

-I'm a little confused about how exercise fits into this program. I'm doing the Points system. Any insight wld be very appreciated. Do I track my hours or steps or anything?

-Lastly, can you go to any meeting in your area or do you have to return to the location you signed up? I didn't really get anything out of the meeting. I found it to be dull, and everything that was said and discussed, I already knew (I've done SO much research in the last few years on diet and fitness)
I can skip the meeting, but I have to show up for the weigh-in - can I get the second and third, etc., book then or must I stay for the meetings every time?

I've thought about doing it on my own, just going to sign up and get the material but now I'm unsure... one, because of the fact ya get multiple books, and two, I think knowing I have to weigh-in in front of someone every week will motivate me to stay on track. $14 a week is a small investment if it means I'll actually FINALLY reach my goal weight and good health! Right?

Any tips, advice, personal stories, feedback for a newbie would be MUCH MUCH appreciated! Thanks so much for any help. For the first time in my life I am excited about losing weight. I look forward to chatting with fellow WW's.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #2  
Just gotta do it!

S/C/G: 251.2/246.8/156

Height: 5'7

Hey Amberoo first off congrats on your renewed commitment to a healthier life. I am on my second week of WW and have already lost more weight in two weeks than on any of my other half-hearted attempts at weight loss. I'm still a "newbie" but I'm gonna take a go at your questions....

1) Each week that you weigh-in you will receive your next booklet. At your second week you will get a bookmark and then at each 5, 10lb, etc you will get a sticker to put on your bookmark. At your 10% weight loss mark you get a keychain and then other big milestones like 25, 50, 75 you will get something. The booklets cover a different topic each week. For instance, I just received the booklet that covers on how to incoporate exercise into your life.

2) you MUST eat all of your daily points, however your weekly and activity points are optional. I work up very very late today and now at 10pm I'm struggling to get the last of my points. On top of eating all of your points, make sure to get in your 8HG short for 8 healthy guidelines, you will find those in the back of your book that you received in your meeting.

3)Exercise. If your exercising now keep it up, once you reach your third week you will get that exercise booklet. If you're not exercising now the booklet has three different stages for people that haven't worked out in a long time, are working out, and are super worker outers. You can record your steps if you are doing a pedometer, many WW'ers try to break 10,000 steps a day. You earn activity points for how long and how hard you work out. The levels are based on low, moderate, and intense and can be figured out on your slider or on etools. You can choose to trade out your Activity points or not eat them.

4) Have you thought about being an online member. Online members have access to a plathera of information. In my area, we have a monthly pass for only 39.95 a month you can attend unlimited meetings a month and still only weigh in once a week. It's my understanding that you can attend meetings at any location. The first day I signed up there was a member from NE at my meeting. If you're meetings are currently boring you try a different location and maybe that will help. My best friend and I are doing WW together, however she lives 1 hour away and does not have the time to go to meetings so she is an online member. Find out what you like best and stick with it.

If you have anymore questions just holla!
Old 05-04-2007, 11:44 PM   #3  
banned

do you have monthly passes? its the cheapest way.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM   #4  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

evonzie, thank you SO much! very helpful. i know who to go to now and congrats on the weight loss! i'm hoping to be saying the same thing!
i was thinking about signing up online but money is prrretty tight at the moment and prob will be for a while so i really dunno if i can afford it. but i am going to look into it. at least now i know i can go to a different location.

ok so my understanding is you get ten books, one every time you weigh in...so technically i only have to go to nine more meetings (or weigh-ins) to get my books? and then i've got all the material they give out? (other than the reward thingys)....and again, i can just ask for the book while im being weighed, and say i can't stay for the meeting, right?

hmmm so i MUST eat all the points? as an overeater i was surprised that on my first day i sorta had to struggle to meet my points... very strange. but i guess that's because i was so gung-ho about it. on a normal-stressful-angry-bad-hungry day i'm sure it'll be muuuuch easier to eat 'em all up.

andrea, the montly pass is what evonzie mentioned, yeah? i'll look into that as well, i didn't hear anything about it at the meeting, will go onto the website. so either $14 a week or around $40 a month.... let's see...do the math... uhhhh... yeah that's cheaper!

again, thanks so much.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Amberloo! You might find that meetings are really, really valuable. You don't have to go to the same location that you signed up at - you can go to any WW center world-wide! And, the face-to-face support is great. Specials are available from time to time, such as their "buy the summer" pass, which is valid for weigh-ins all summer. Check with your local center.
You will get a book a week, which will focus on healthy eating and living habits.
As for your points, make sure that you distinguish between your daily allotment of points, your weekly 35 bonus points and any exercise points that you earn (YOU WILL FIND OUT ABOUT THESE IN WEEK 3).
Your body NEEDS your daily food point allotment to stay healthy and to maintain your metabolism, so you NEED to eat these.
You DON'T need to eat the 35 bonus points each week. My leader recommends NOT eating these unless there is a special occasion.
The same goes for the exercise bonus points which you will learn about very, very soon (week 3, I think).
As for the online approach - I think it is FAB for those who cannot get to meetings for whatever reason. BUT, I PERSONALLY have found that the weekly meetings are really, really helpful. I get to meet lots of people, get great ideas and support from them, and even get hugs when things go wrong. I feel that the members are really supportive, and there isn't any substitute in my mind for that personal contact each week. I find it inspiring.
ANYWAYS, best of luck!!! You can do it!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #6  
Mistyblue_68

S/C/G: 254/2/170

Hello,
I'm new to WW meetings too. I did the online in 2004 and had a lot of success but once I stopped I gained the weight back, now I'm doing WW at Work program (the meetings come to us at work) anyways, the meetings are new to me and Wed will be week 2 so we will be in line with each other pretty much. Our leader did say not to skimp on your daily points just like the other ladies mentioned, eat your points everday and then you also have your 35 weekly "overdraft" protection points, those days we slip up or special occassions. Our leader has kept her 91 pounds off since 1991 and is really down to earth. As far as activity points, she jokes and says activity is ANYTHING that other then not moving, so just get out and move. Anyways, I wish you luck on your journey !
Closed Thread