Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #1  
Just gotta do it!

S/C/G: 251.2/246.8/156

Height: 5'7

Question Not math savy at all...HELP!

Okay so it's my second week on the program and I'm lovin it. I have never stuck to a plan for this long! Anyways I'm not math savy at all and I know how to figure points out, but I don't understand something. Actually my friend asked me about it cause she use to do WW. So if you could help me that be great!

So let's say something like a serving of veggies/fruit/or whatver is 0,2,4 points....but if you eat two servings at one sitting then the point value goes up.....but if you eat it at lunch and then at dinner again....and each time it's only Xpoints isn't that the same as both servings at one sitting?? (hope that made sense)
Old 05-04-2007, 04:12 PM   #2  
banned

non starch veggies are 0. fruit most of the time is 1 pt per serving so 2 servings would be 2(at the same time) but if at diff meals its still only 1. hth
Old 05-04-2007, 05:16 PM   #3  
Cowboy Up Chick

Like Andrea said 0 point veggies stay 0 points no matter the quantity.

If you have something that is say 1 point per serving but 2 servings are 3 points and you eat it at the same time its 3 points. If you eat one at lunch and one at dinner then each serving is 1 point.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:22 PM   #4  
the journey begins

S/C/G: 270/257/150

Default what about baby carrots??

evonzie, I'm not the slightest bit math savvy either!

Kelly_S, what you said made me think of something that the leader said at my first (and only) meeting.... BABY CARROTS are 0 for the first ten but then they GO UP in points to 1 pt every next ten carrots. Is this true? And I think she said something about peas too but I didn't hear it because of so many ppl chatting away.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:33 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Amberloo, I think that you are right! We got this message too - if you eat 10 baby carrots for breakfast (0 points), then 10 for lunch (0 points) and 10 for dinner (0 points) you have actually eaten 30 baby carrots that day, for a points value between 2 and 3. It doesn't matter what time of day this happens, or if they are eaten together or not. The basis for the points system is a calculation taking calories, fat and fiber into account. The daily total is what is important, because your body WILL account for the calories, even if they are spaced out. Take this for example:
Tapioca pudding: 90 calories, 3g fat, 4g fiber = 1 point.
If I eat 2 in a day: 180 calories, 6g fat, 8g fiber = 3 points.
If I eat them three hours apart, or three minutes apart, I STILL have consumed 180 calories, 6g fat, 8g fiber that day (total of 3 points). If I don't account for this, my bottom will for me!
As a general rule, non-starchy veggies are really a non-issue. Carrots, peas, corn and potatoes ARE an issue, and you need to account for them as a daily total IF you are prone to "pigging out on them" to feel full. The same goes for most 1 and 2 point foods that are used as snacks. 2 snacks of tapioca equals 3 points, and not 2. I also have to be careful with doubling up servings - some soups have 2 points per serving, but 5 points for a double serving. I have to be super-careful and find that daily planning is the most important when keeping a grip on my points. I also verify almost every point value when I double things up. Just a thought...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:12 AM   #6  
Just gotta do it!

S/C/G: 251.2/246.8/156

Height: 5'7

Thanks frejamaya....so fruits like grapes, apples, strawberries, and bananas are okay?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:05 AM   #7  
Cowboy Up Chick

My leader always says 'you didn't get fat eating baby carrots' and yes while W/W for a few reasons on the higher gylcemic foods such as carrots and onions give points for the most part zero point veggies are always zero points.

W/W allows 200-250 calories a day for zero point veggies and since most servings of zero point veggies are 5-15 calories per serving that is a heckofalotta veggies and if you may have more problems than just the excessive eating of serivngs.

If you think about it that is between 13 and 40 servings of veggies based on the caloric intake W/W allows for them.

However going back to the W/W 'rule' on eating foods your
Quote:
SO, if you eat 10 baby carrots for breakfast (0 points), 10 (0 points) for lunch, and 10 (0 points) for dinner,
statement is a bit incorrect (according to my leader) .... different times different points. However I see your concern.

Again my leader (and many others) aren't really concerned about the 3 separate 0 point servings for veggies...as much as they are the say 3 separate servings of something like 2 Tbsp Cool Whip Free w/1/2 cup of Sugar Free Jello. The veggies provide nutritients that your body needs whereas th Cool Whip Free and Jello are empty calories (25 calories for both total per serving).

Another rule my leader advises is for each 0 point NON ZERO POINT VEGGIE you eat put a tickmark in your journal and for every 4-5 add 1 point to your food total for the day.

This is just another objective outlook on the program.

Also in the member books is says nothing about 11 baby carrots being 1 point (nor in the leader manual)...the only place it does this is in the PointTracker on the official website and we have been told since it totals cal/fat/fiber for the items for use in the Recipe Builder it CANNOT distinguish between what is a zero point veggie and what is something like Cool Whip Free.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 AM   #8  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberoo View Post
Kelly_S, what you said made me think of something that the leader said at my first (and only) meeting.... BABY CARROTS are 0 for the first ten but then they GO UP in points to 1 pt every next ten carrots.
I addressed this in the previous post. W/W has assigned points to carrots because many litterally pounds of them and not counting them. Much like many people ate high fiber foods that were very low points and not losing so the brought in the fiber cap. Also I have never heard (and I asked my leader about this) that 10 baby carrots is 0 but 11 is 1. Again I addressed where this came into play with the online program.

[quote[And I think she said something about peas too but I didn't hear it because of so many ppl chatting away.[/QUOTE] Peas are not now nor have they ever been a 0 point food. They have always had points (or were counted as a starch back in the days of exchanges).
Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 AM   #9  
Cowboy Up Chick

Also 11 ounces of baby carrots is 109 calories/.5 fat grams/5.6 fiber and that is only 1 points. Do you know how many baby carrots are in 11 ounces? Way too many. LOL!

So that 11 baby carrots for 1 point is way, way off.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #10  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

Hey, whatever works for you re: points counting is just fine! Personally, for me, keeping a grip on points and total food counts has worked for me. It just goes to show you how different leaders explain different things. I know that for optimal results for me, I have to be careful re: doubling recipes and eating too many 1 point snack foods and not accounting for it. When I didn't, I stopped losing weight. Hopefully, not everyone out there has to be as obsessive as me to get great results...
Closed Thread