Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/127/125

Height: 5'1''

Default New!

Hello ladies (and gents if there are any in here),

My name is Lindsey, I've been lurking around in here, I normally post in chicks in control a fair amount. I've recently realized that overeating/binging at times has stemmed from 1. not giving myself enough cals during the day and 2. having tried every diet on earth. While with exercise/running I've always, despite these tendencies, kept my weight in check i'm coming off a horrible running injury where I couldn't do anything for exercise and have put on 7-8 lbs. On a short person, it looks like much more.

My question for all of you is, did any of you find that after tons of dieting around just counting/tracking your calories and having no off limit foods (as with dieting there are "bad" foods) worked for you in the end? It seems like a sound solution to me and I feel like many of you in here have been successful. Would love some tips/insight!

Have a great friday!

Lindsey
uf gator linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi and welcome.

I love calorie counting. No foods for me are off limits, but many, many foods for me are greatly, greatly eaten only once in a while and in small portions. I find though I count calories, I do my best to make those good healthy calories. Low fat proteins, vegetables, and high fiber foods. Those foods fill me up the most and keep me from getting hungry. As well as providing me with essential vitamins and nutrients. I also like volume. So I would much rather eat say, 200 calories worth of stir fry vegetables with an egg white omlette then say a tiny English muffin with some butter.

Good luck with calorie counting and I hope you are feeling better shortly from your injury.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 147/130/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Lindsey!
I started counting calories 3.5 years ago or so. I was looking for a life change, not a diet...I knew I was eating too much and needed to change that, I wanted to learn to control portion sizes. I didn't change what I ate, just how much and I lost about 30 pounds. A lot of my success was from keeping a food journal in the kitchen at all times and writing down what I was eating and tracking calories. I got comfortable with my weight and have (had) gained back about 17 pounds....now I am back to counting and I have lost around 7 of those. This time around I have changed what I eat, my husband and I decided we needed to eat healtier, so most of my calories are veggies, fruits, lean meats, nuts, low fat cheese and whole grains. The thing I really like about counting calories is you can usually look back at you counts and see why you are or aren't losing weight...if you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain...but burn more then you eat and you lose! I think for the entire time that I was dilligent about counting I never gained any weight in a week. Not to say there aren't ups and downs, but I definatelly think it is a method that works and is something that you can live with as a lifestyle, not just a diet. Best of luck to you!
amberj002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am a calorie counter, too. I plan my meals ahead of time, takes me about 5 minutes the evening before and as I eat my meals I check them off so I don't eat something twice or just as bad forget a meal.Along with exercise it is very effective and costs me nothing. I think this a healthy and easy way to go. All you need is a calorie book, you can get them on internet, too.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I agree! I love calorie counting! I mostly eat healthy calories (like rockingrobin) but it's nice to know that splurging isn't "off plan." My best friend always goes on these diets that forbid chocolate; I would go insane if I couldn't have a little dark chocolate every one in awhile (well lately, more than that.) That's why calorie counting works for me so well.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 137/127/125

Height: 5'1''

Thanks so much, this is all so good to hear. And I agree with all of you who mention that you fill up on veggies, protein, etc. The funny thing about me is I eat like that, a mostly healthy diet...it's just anytime I read some type of "diet" (obvi not lifestyle) that tells me not to eat something, its all I want and it leaves me prone to binging. I think calorie counting may show me that I can lose weight even if every so often I splurge (i.e. it isn't the end of the world if I eat some dark choc).

I just got a fitday account, do many of you find its fairly accurate given that you "customize" certain foods?

Again, thanks for all the positive feedback. Looking forward to gaining some inspiration from everyone who has chosen this LIFESTYLE :-)
uf gator linz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #7  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf gator linz View Post

My question for all of you is, did any of you find that after tons of dieting around just counting/tracking your calories and having no off limit foods (as with dieting there are "bad" foods) worked for you in the end? It seems like a sound solution to me and I feel like many of you in here have been successful. Would love some tips/insight!
Well, let's put it this way - I 'dieted' my way to 220 pounds. Diet after diet after diet, which only led to failed attempts. Then I'd put what little weight I lost back on, along with an extra 10 or 15 pounds or more, over and over and over.

Then I started counting calories. I ate much healthier, but didn't deprive myself, I allowed myself to have my favorite foods (the ones that aren't so healthy) and just counted them in with my calories. Plus I ate them in extreme moderation. I didn't eliminate them, I simply limited them. And always counted them.

Well.... 80 some pounds later I can say that, yes, it's the only thing that ever worked for me. When I started counting calories and STOPPED dieting and STOPPED depriving myself, that's when the weight started to come off.

Almost 3 years later (3 years in June) and still a proud calorie-counter, the weight is gone and staying gone
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote