Pregnant - Nursing Diet support for the pregnant or nursing chick!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 PM   #1  

Default intro - 4 mo. nursing twins

Hi everyone! NAK...

I'm Carrie, SAHM to Lela (2), and Laurel and Olivia (almost 4 months). I'm thinking about starting the Fat Smash diet. There is very little information out there about dieting and nursing, much less dieting while nursing twins. They are exclusively breastfed - no bottles of breastmilk or formula, and no pumping - call me lazy.

You'd think that those kinds of calorie requirements would mean rapid weight loss - not for me, though. It was the same when I nursed my toddler. She is still nursing a couple (brief) times per day - a real lifesaver when she's ill!

Anyway, just looking for info on this - is there a minimum caloric intake to produce milk? My thoughts are "no" because even severely malnourished women (e.g. in developing countries) produce enough milk for their babies. But it's another thing when it is your own babies you're talking about. By the way, I have enough milk to feed another set of twins....seriously.

Thanks - hello to all the other beautiful nursing mommas!
Carrie
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #2  

Height: 5ft 4in

I nursed both my kids for 10 and 11 months. I started WW while nursing my 2nd and they (and my doctor) said you do have to keep up a certain number of calories if you don't want your milk to start drying up. (with WW that meant an extra 10 point - I don't know how many calories that is) I would suggest you talk to your doctor. You are doing such a wonderful (and hard) thing by nursing them. I would hate to see that be sacrafices! Also I have heard many other diet plans say not to even do them while pregnant or nursing.

BTW - I never lost weight while nursing. I think that is something that they tell you so you don't get stressed.

Good luck!!
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #3  

Height: 5ft 4in

I forgot to mention something. I think that you need something like 500 extra calories a day (and that is with a balanced diet - fruit, veggies, good carbs and protien) I may be wrong. Someone please correct me if I am.
adaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #4  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

its 500 extra PER baby roughly.

you want to make sure you have energy too

Here is one source: http://www.storknet.com/experts/nutrition/cd20.htm
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:09 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

The 500/day number also changes as your baby grows. (500 is quoted, but most moms dont ebf that long in this country)

You need to account for how many calories your baby needs:
http://www.dhep.astate.edu/PHYSDIAG/...c%20Needs.html

after that you also need to make sure you are getting enough so that you dont cannibalize your own body. Yes women in africa produce milk, but they are also OLD women physically by the time they are 40.

Roughly 1200 for you plus what your baby eats should put you into weight loss mode. Try it for a few weeks aiming for 1/2-1 lb loss per week, try and add exercise if you can.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc92802 View Post
They are exclusively breastfed - no bottles of breastmilk or formula, and no pumping - call me lazy.

Thanks - hello to all the other beautiful nursing mommas!
Carrie
By the way, WELCOME, come to our monthly nursing mommy chat, and NOONE would EVER call an ebf mom of twins LAZY
Old 04-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #7  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

One more thing! (I do tend to run on). I am not very familiar with fatsmash, but my impression is that there is limited meat at least at the beginning. Keep a very close eye on your protein count if that is the case....you need extra when nursing.

And isnt it a phased diet? Most phased diets recommend skipping the intro phase when nursing.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 PM   #8  
resident lactivist

Fat Smash might work if you are careful about eating to hunger & somewhat loose with the limits. I think you're allowed 1c oatmeal & 2c brown rice a day. If you are certain to get that, and careful to eat a deal of beans as well (rice & beans together are a complete protein), you may do OK.

As far as the calorie issue...Some women find it affects their supply, some do not. La Leche League recommends a minimum of 1800 calories/day, and that's for mamas with singletons. We've got mamas here who are successfully losing weight eating 2100 to 2300 calories. I'm with Ennay on the famine thing...although women in impoverished nations can & do breastfeed, there's no doubt in my mind that it can lead to malnutrition even in our well-fed country.

It's something you will have to experiment with until you find your own level. I'd recommend the classic of keeping an honest food & drink diary for a couple of weeks and then evaluating yourself for junk food/processed food & the like. I've personally had some success in losing weight by merely being more mindful of my portions. It's easy to eat more than you should, even if you know what you should be eating!
GreatBigMonsterMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Hi and welcome. I too don't really have any advice but that is an awesome feat for nursing twins.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:46 PM   #10  

It's mainly a motivational thing and a sugar/carb addiction thing. If I have a schedule/guideline of what to eat and when, I think I'll be more likely to follow it. I've also been suffering from PPD, so that makes motivation a big issue for me.

I will try cutting down portion sizes and cutting out refined sugars and carbs. I just don't have much time to count calories these days! That's why I was looking for a "mindless" type diet. But maybe if I use this site as my motivation, I can do whatever "diet" I like.

Thanks for all the nursing compliments. I'm really nursing 3 (twins plus comfort nursing my 2 year old) and it makes me feel good to hear feedback from others. I don't think that my body is in any danger of starving itself, but I know what you mean about minimum amounts. I think if I keep it at about 1800-2000 calories (1200 for me and 300-400 for each baby....even though they are EBF they are still young and small).

Thanks for the links to the calorie counters - I will check them out.
Carrie
cjc92802 is offline   Reply With Quote