Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:13 AM   #1  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Free Online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

I find myself repeatedly recommending the book Feeling Good, by David Burns, because it is so helpful in fighting depression. It works by teaching you exercises (the pen and paper kind!) that help eliminate the thoughts that are at the root of depression. I find that whenever I do an exercise, my mood jumps a ton!

Anyway, I recently came across the site The Mood Gym, which is a free site that uses some of the same methods. I haven't really used it myself and cannot vouch for it, but I thought some members might be interested.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:27 PM   #2  
Carolyn

S/C/G: 146/113/110

Height: 5.1

Feeling Good by Dr. Burns is terrific. It's the only book I've read that actually has exercises to combat the negative thoughts that depression causes. I recommend it every time I learn that someone is battling depression.

For me, now when I'm in a depression cycle, I only feel the physical effects such as fatique and loss of energy. I am no longer effected by the bad thoughts, I'm able to block them the moment they start.
clvquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:52 PM   #3  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

That's interesting. Are you saying the fatigue and loss of energy are not affected by the book?
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:05 PM   #4  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by clvquilts View Post
I recommend it every time I learn that someone is battling depression.

For some of us, depression goes way beyond what cognitive-behavioural strategies can help change.
For me, I would most likely not be here were it not for meds, a loving family, good friends and skilled therapists and psychiatrists.

Not to knock this book or how it has helped you or those with mild/moderate depression, but for those with major depressive disorder, self-help books are not going to ever be optimum treatment.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote