Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/232/135

Height: 5'2

Default venting... I would love support...

First time posting in the forum but I really need support.. and a hug...
short back round I'm 22 and have 3 children and have struggled with depression and weight issues most of my life. I've been on and off meds but haven't had any since my first son was born 4 years ago.

My depression is out of control lately. I'm so ashamed of myself, I hate my body.. I really really do want to change it but why is it so hard? I recently read a post here that I could have written. I eat because I'm depressed and then I get depressed because I eat.. its like a cycle.. I want to break this battle but I'm exhausted..

Lately I've been feeling like meds would be a good idea but I have no health insurance (don't get me started... on our health care system LOL) anyway... I just needed to vent.

I'm an emotional eater, I have no idea why.. I'd love to have a buddy, someone who could relate to me. I have about 100 lbs to loose.
RainbowFairyMoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/138/125

Height: 5'4"

Default buddies

were here for you sista!!!!!!!!
vent away......................
There is some good articles on this site about exercise and depresion some people have had good luck without meds,keep reading and posting.
debbieduzLAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:32 PM   #3  
Starting Again

S/C/G: 202/163/120

Height: 5'1"

Have you ever tried St. John's Wort (an herbal supplement)? B4 I was on meds I used to take it. I can honestly say that it worked better than most of the meds I have been on, that is when I remembered to take it regularly. It recommends taking 2 tablets 3x a day ( the last bottle I read anyway, check for yourself). Sometimes I would forget the afternoon dose. The only reason I stopped taking it was b/c it is believed to interfere with your birth control. Just a thought if your dr. agrees and you aren't relying on the pill.
I also have delt with depression and weight all of my life and it is a vicious circle. Eat, feel bad, so eat some more, and then feel bad. I am also between insurance but haven't taken St. John's b/c of the birth control problem. I will have to take some job soon even if it isn't my dream job to get more meds.
Being home all day is a struggle. Too much time to think has never been good for me mentally or for my diet. Sounds like you may be a stay at home mom? If so I imagine that with our issues it has to be tough. Do you get out of the house and have any time for yourself?
hope4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #4  
I'm Big, God is Bigger!

S/C/G: 289/275/200

Height: 5'3"

I don't have health insurance either. I have a wonderful dr. who gives me as many samples as he can and now Wal-mart has alot of generic drugs for $4 per perscription. This is what I am using to get my Prozac( ofcourse I am taking a generic, but it is working great!)

I hope that you can feel better about yourself as I know we all want to. Keep your chin up!
rachelfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 AM   #5  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm so sorry.

I'm not a doctor, but here are some things that are free or almost free that have been shown to work for depression as well as antidepressants. (Not that one shouldn't take antidepressants as well if a doc says so -- the combination is often better than just one method. I take Zoloft myself.)

The book Feeling Good, by David Burns is a self-help book based on Cognitive-Behavioral therapy for depression. The exercises in it have been shown to work as well as antidepressants and even better in that there is a lower rate of relapse. I can't recommend this book enough (which is why I probably recommend it in almost every thread on this subforum! )

Aerobic exercise. I know, who wants to exercise when they're depressed? But if you can get yourself to do it, it really helps. Personally, I've found things that really make me breathe hard, like running and swimming (I suck at swimming!) help the most.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #6  

thanks for the support...

I am a stay at home mom.. I think I might have some post partum depression going on as well. Lately I've been having such a hard time being motivated to do anything let alone lose weight. bleh just a pitty party...

I actually just started taking St Johns Wart.. The idea of meds makes me uncomfortable but I just had to do something. I'm also breastfeeding so.. I worry about that too but right now my mental health is really important.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #7  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

Be careful! Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe! Talk to your doctor about the St. John's Wort:

http://www.clinicalanswers.nhs.uk/in...?question=5010

Quote:
There is limited information regarding the transfer of St. John’s Wort into human milk and the impact of a mother’s use of this herbal medication on her breast-fed infant. One study, involving 30 women who took St. John's Wort and breastfed, found a higher frequency of infant side effects (lethargy, colic, and drowsiness) when compared to a group of infants whose mothers were not taking the medication.

St. John’s Wort is a long-acting medication, and thus any amount ingested by the infant would be expected to remain for a long time. Until more is known about St. John’s Wort, many women are choosing to avoid it if they are breastfeeding. If you are significantly depressed, you may wish to speak with your health care provider regarding prescription antidepressants that have been better studied in breastfeeding women.”
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman1 View Post
Be careful! Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's safe! Talk to your doctor about the St. John's Wort:

http://www.clinicalanswers.nhs.uk/in...?question=5010
thanks for your concern, it is something I have researched it a lot Also my daughter does get organic formula as well since I have a condition called hypoplasia which means I don't make enough milk.
I need to start excercising more.. I know that would help
Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 PM   #9  
Just...t.

S/C/G: 160/125 (135 on planet Earth!)

Height: 5'5"

Pick ME!!! The last time I took meds was about 4 years ago I was working for an OB/GYN who one day threw a sample bottle of Zoloft at me and said "I'm not working with you unless your medicated!" I knew I probably should go ahead and take something if it was THAT obvious. Of course the reps who stopped by the office gave us stock bottles if we were on prescription so the Doc pointed to me and told the rep to make sure I never ran out. Ha Ha. But I will say that I was diagnosed when I was 15 and know that living with depression is a daily battle. No matter what anyone else says I have a girlfriend who just doesn't believe that I'm clinically depressed. I told her I am a mom and a wife and I work full time- I don't get to be depressed. But there is only so long you can keep it together. My husband forced me to watch the Green Mile (the saddest movie ever) the other day and I cried for 2 days. OVER a movie!! Come on!! So if you have to cry bring it on. My ears are always available!!
tifanicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 222/=ticker=/150

Height: 5'7"

It's amazing to me to see how many people on this board have the exact same problems as I do. I too am a sahm and believe me being a depressed sahm is more common than it should be. I also have 3 children and recently moved all the way to GA which to some might not be too far but if you grew up in Hawai'i it's about as far from home as you can get. If you feel that you might have post-partum you should definitely try to see a doctor. Some states provide medical care to those who need it but can't afford it. I know in the state of Hawai'i there is a medical program called quest. Maybe your state has something similar. I suffered from post-partum after the birth of my second child and refused meds because I was breastfeeding. Looking back it was a very dark time. I can honestly say that the depression I feel now from being away from family and friends and also gaining back all the weight I had worked hard to lose is nothing compared to what ppd was. I give you the biggest hug humanly possible and when you weigh over 200lbs like I do, you know its gonna be big. In the mean time try exercising a little those endorphins have a way of making you feel better.
browneyedgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote