Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/190

Height: 5'4

Default vacation & my family

I am going on a vacation with my grandparents and lil sister next weekend.
We are going to Tennessee from my Mammaw's (great- grandma) 92nd birthday. The thing is my family is southeren and very stuck in their ways. They have a fit if you waste food by not eating it. Last time I was their and on a diet I got bactieral gastritist from all the grease. I'm sure you are thinking well just don't eat it, I tried that. I had french fries that I refused to eat thrown @ me and yelled @ for drinking skim milk. They say I need to lose weight but, have a fit that I am losing weight and as they call it wasting food. I have explained tat it is for my health and it's what I am going to do no matter what they say! I still get yelled at!
Any advice???

sorry for the blubbering on and on and on.

~Jenn
JennelleV86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

People yell at you and throw food? Whoa.

I can only advise being in control of serving yourself at all times, therefore you control what you put on your plate. Only put on the plate what you plan to eat. They should be ashamed of themselves - adult people yelling and throwing food. If they must yell, leave the room and refuse to submit to their abuse. No one deserves to be treated in such a barbaric fashion, especially not by people who supposedly love you.

You are an adult, in charge of your own diet and health. No one can make you eat anything you don't want to. It is only a weekend, nothing you eat over a weekend can adversely affect your long term health and goals, it is a blip. Do the best you can udner the terrible circumstances and get right on track when you get back.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I agree--what Glory87 said. Take control of your plate, only put on it what you intend to eat, eat slowly, don't take seconds.

Sounds like a little too much Jack Daniels goin' around...

Good luck!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Why would they throw food at you? Were they drunk? That's just rude!
You are in control of your life. Don't let other people dictate your life for you. Besides, it probably would be a while before you see these relatives again. So. try not to stress out too much. Best wishes to you.
NWGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #5  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

I can kind of associate with you. I live with and care for my disabled mother. Since I started gaining weight, when I was like 8 years old, she has told me I was fat and needed to lose weight.

Now, at age 31, and it seems, now that I am actually trying to lose weight, whenever I make an adjustment to any recipe to maybe make it maybe a little more healthy, like low fat margarine, 1% or 2% milk instead of whole, brown rice instead of white, etc...), Mom throws a fit... and she's fat too, she weighs 20 lbs more than me now. She has tons of health problems like diabetes, strokes and heart attacks, etc.. I tell her I don't want to deal with the same health problems as she is when I am in my 50's, and she tells me "No, yours are gonna be worse than mine".... I say "How sweet, I love you too..." She was 5' tall and 270 lbs when she was my age, trust me, I remember, yet she seems to think that I am worse off than she was.... yeah, right.

Anyway, I don't know if she actually dislikes the stuff I cook or if she's just being stubborn and set in her ways, or if she's just jealous because she I'm loosing weight and she's not... She can be such a witch with a B sometimes..... I love her but sometimes she makes it hard.

I agree with the others. Don't allow anyone else to serve your plate, and don't take more than what you plan to eat. Eat it all, and don't give them any reason to complain about you wasting food. If they start to fuss, get the **** outa there, pronto.

Having a fit and throwing food at people is very immature and rude! If anyone ever threw food at me, I guarantee, they would be wearing my whole freaking plate, and whatever else I could get my hands on. I can be tempermental at times There is no excuse for this behavior, but I believe in the expression, you get what you give....

Who does this to you anyway?
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #6  
Wild Angels

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajungal328 View Post
Having a fit and throwing food at people is very immature and rude! If anyone ever threw food at me, I guarantee, they would be wearing my whole freaking plate, and whatever else I could get my hands on. I can be tempermental at times There is no excuse for this behavior, but I believe in the expression, you get what you give....
I second that! I've got relatives not only in Kentucky, but also in Tennessee, so I understand where you're coming from. However, my family do not throw food at me....they know one of us is gonna end up in the hospital should they do that. Besides, when you think about it, that's just wasteful in itself! Hmpt.

Just do what everyone else is telling ya, and you'll be fine. If they don't like it, they can just eat it all themselves.
NemesisClaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/133/130

Height: 5'2"

I'm originally from Ohio too. I to have relatives from the south and I truly understand. I wouldn't mention to them that your dieting and would just put a little bit of everything on my plate and then just slowly eat a little of what I wanted. Everyone else will clean their plate (along with a lot of conversation) and then you can just get up while their talking and kinda ditch the rest of your food. If their all busy chatting (like my family does) no one will notice. I think as long as they don't know your trying to eat a little lighter then they will not pay attention.

That's just my experience. Good Luck!
abbyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:50 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/180/135

OMG My grandmother is like that. They are also from TN. She wants to make everyones plates for you and although I love her food it is terrible for me. Last time I went there I drew the line (mostly because of medical problems of not having my gallbladder but also because I knew it was best for me). I politely told them that I can not and do not eat food like that anymore. Then I went to the store and purchased my own food that I new would be safe for me to eat.

Good luck. I know it is hard but I guess I'm just telling you that it isn't that abnormal for southern familes.
RememberHowToSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:47 PM   #9  

Quote:

Who does this to you anyway?
My Mammaw did it!!!! Oh was she mad as a wet bee that I would't eat french fries!!!!!! The woman is 4'10 and 200 + lbs . Thank you, everyone for the advice. My family LOVES their FOOD & their CAFFEINE.
We are going to an ALL you can eat Family Buffet, I will just have one plate while they have their 4-5 plates each. My family can eat more than most people can in a week!!!

Thanks ~Jenn
Old 03-31-2007, 09:44 PM   #10  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

LOL on the all you can eats. It's my family's trademark. They don't throw food, but they constantly complain that you won't "try" this or "try" that. Or that you won't eat what they've got. Mom complains if I don't spend enough time there, then complains that I won't eat what they have there, and complains if we go out that I refuse to go to the Golden Coral. So I just got back from 2 days there, and they wanted GC today. I adamantly refused and told them I'd go elsewhere, and IF I DID...I'd continue on home when I finished my dinner. Since I'm there to help them remodel their bathroom, they decided not to go there afterall. They complain Applebees is too expensive, then go spend $11.95 each at GC for all you can eat. I spent $10.97 today at Applebees for me and the baby!
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #11  
Heather

S/C/G: 203/180/130

Is everyone in your family obese?

Listen honey, I commend you for trying. It's really a good thing, despite how yor family feels about it. Imagine how it will feel when you go back next year all slim and trim....

Just, when everyone sits down to eat, just serve yourself everything that you know you will eat, and just eat slowly, and let them talk and laugh and carry on, and try and keep your "undereating" on the down low. Stay in the background, don't make it obvious, don't draw attention to yourself, and don't mention any diets. If anyone asks why you're not eating much, just say you're not feeling well, and you're not hungry.. May I be excused, please? And then maybe go lie down for a little while, so it's won't look like you're trying to avoid eating.

That explains it, the throwing food that you spoke of. You said your MawMaw is 92, right. Well, many people act like children when they get old. She may be getting a little senile or something. Has she had any strokes before?

My grandmother was the sweetest old lady in the world, until she had a stroke that left her brain damaged. After that, she would become violent and would have tantrums often, and I, at 8 years old, would not go near her. I was afraid of her and p'd off at her. Everyone always asked why I was being mean to Grandma, why I wouln't look at her or talk to her, but they never saw how she was mean to me, so they didn't understand....
cajungal328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #12  

Quote:
Is everyone in your family obese?
Not everyone in my family is over weight,But, the majority of them are. My family Cooks, talks,Eats and Eats some more.

Quote:
That explains it, the throwing food that you spoke of. You said your MawMaw is 92, right. Well, many people act like children when they get old. She may be getting a little senile or something. Has she had any strokes before?

She has never had and strokes. Actually, for being 92 she is in pretty good health except for her arthritis.

Thanks, everyone for your advice and input.

~Jenn
Old 04-04-2007, 03:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 152/140/130

Height: 5'5"

Good luck Jennelle - I have no advice to add to what the others have already suggested. I'm just thinking a bit about why they act this way. I would suspect that they want you to stay overweight, because it makes them feel better about their own weights and lifestyles. You adopting a healthy lifestyle could also, in a way, symbolize a rejection of your family's values (ie. eating a lot), so they may be taking it personally, as criticism. Which is silly, of course, you're doing this for your health. But someone who doesn't focus on their health very much won't likely appreciate where you're coming from. Stick to your guns, do what you know is best for you, and if anyone gives you a hard time, just go for a walk, I guess.
Janie Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 11:02 PM   #14  

Thanks, for all the advice. I am leaving for TN Saturday Morning @ 6 am ! I have been sick for a while now and the meds the doc put me on has me not eating so much. So, I am going to use the antibiotics as an excuse as to why I am not eating much if anyone asks, it will be the best way to avoid any problems. I will be back sometime on Monday. Take Care- Jenn

Everyone have a VERY Happy Easter!!