General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 03:58 PM   #1  

Default Body for Life #22

Hi everyone!

I am back from New York. I had an okay time. Sad (visit to WTC) and happy (visit with my kids) and intense (the interview).

I am just beginning to notice good changes in me. I did have forbdden foods in NY but I'm all better now.

Glad to home but I'm tired. I didn't walk the dog this morning but opted to sleep in. I'll go back to the walk tomorrow.

Susan
Old 11-04-2001, 10:31 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Howdy y'all!

Susanje - glad to see you back!

Jim and I had the best time yesterday - we went to the Grand National horse show/rodeo at the Cow Palace yesterday. I've been going to this show every year since I was a kid. My first husband didn't care about horses and I always went by myself previously, but Jim LOVES going with me - and this year was the best since the stable I ride/take lessons at (Kramer Training) had their show string there and they really did well, won a lot of ribbons. Perhaps by next year I'll be in the Grand National show ring...just a dream...

This morning I had a lesson and got to ride Tucker, who is an ex-race horse and still has a lot of pep, in fact so much that it's really hard to hold him back - my arms and legs got a great workout trying to hold him in! Horseback riding can most definitely be a great sport for BFLers...

So anyway - I had not eaten any Halloween Candy and I am so proud of myself!!! Last night my sister knew it was Free Day today and she had me paw through the kids' bags for choice goodies for today. As soon as I woke up this morning, I ate a couple of pieces...and all I have to say is, my new 'candy limit' is two Fun Size Snickers in one sitting. (I used to be able to polish off the whole bag without a whimper!).

Time to hit the tub! Good night all!
Old 11-05-2001, 08:01 AM   #3  
Give Peace A Chance !

Hello Everyone.
I am thinking about doing the BFL program and don't know where to start. I went to the web site and downloaded the daily progress reports and I'm going out this morning to buy the book and a set of weights and a bench. Where do I go from there? Are there little tips I should know from those of you who know the ropes and have been doing this with success for a while? I'm already doing a LC diet(Atkins) And have been since june of this year. I have lost 41# so far. I just feel my results could be lots better and now I'm stalled and unhappy about it. I'm willing to try something new to jump start myself again. I've always wanted to get into weight lifting and this seems to be just the ticket.

Mrs. Tim, I saw your web site and WOW!!!! is all I can say. I love the results you have gotten. Now help me
Old 11-05-2001, 09:29 AM   #4  

Smile BFL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Taz-

The one thing about BFL is that it is not a low carb diet. I'm sure you already knew that, but you will be getting many more clean carbs than you were with the Atkins diet.

You do eat quite a bit of low fat protein for muscle development.

Well...it seems you are on the right track with getting some weights and a bench. I have been lifting for a month now (getting ready for challenge #1 in January). Just make sure that you are mentally prepared to do the challenge. That is why I am waiting to make sure that I have no interruptions/excuses for my first challenge. I am not speaking from experience, but rather from my own "investigation" but it seems like its easier to keep to the food plan if you really plan ahead. Get individual quick frozen chicken breasts, etc...stuff like that so it doesnt take as long to prepare the meals.

It will take a few weeks to get used to it, but make sure you are hitting 10's when you lift and do cardio. Hitting a 10 doesn't mean that you crumble to the floor after cardio...or that your arm feels numb and is about to fall off after lifting. It just means that you worked yourself to failure and you could't do one more rep with GOOD FORM.

Anyways...I am at work and kind of rambling so this whole post probably didnt make much sense.
This is my first post by the way...probably post again later. Hope ya'll don't mind a male joining the discussion.

Sean
340/290/190

Program: not really on one...just eating "clean" foods and doing cardio/lifting 3 days a week. Not as intense as BFL. Going to do C1 in January/March ending the day before my Spring Break(free week!!). I have lost 50 lbs since April doing what I have been doing, but I know I can do better. I know I have some muscles that can come out...considering I weigh 290 but I "only" have 32% BF...which is still a lot...but that means I've got 192 lbs of "lean mass". I'm only 5'11...so anyways...im just rambling again. See you all later!

Last edited by doggz23; 11-05-2001 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-05-2001, 06:55 PM   #5  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Mrs. Jim~~~~~

Are you still doing the program that Jeremy did for you ( for fat loss) ? How are your meals and exercisising differing now? Is it working? I am getting ready to start my 3rd challenge, last one wasn't too good. Somehow, I need to lower my carb intake. Maybe a zig-zag thing every other day?
~~~Sil
Old 11-05-2001, 08:00 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hi Sil -

Actually, Jeremy has me zig-zagging carbs - on high carb days I get three extra carb portions, spread out between meals 3,4, & 5. The protein stays the same each day, except on Free Day of course. Actually Free Day is a bit different - the first four weeks of the program, it's Free Day as usual, then on week 5 I get a free meal, then alternating between free day and one or two free meals a week. As it turns out Week 5 is Thanksgiving week so guess which day I'm having my free meal?

In addition, I'm having a post-workout shake on non-cardio days.

As far as working out, for the most part I'm doing Pam B's workout - except I'm NOT doing Cardio every single day. I'm still at three 20-minute sessions a week, but I might add in an extra session. Pam B's workout is in the Lean & Strong "Training Library" - I've quoted from it before and it is a VERY motivating read!

Taz - Congratulations! First thing you gotta do is READ the book, and I mean the WHOLE book. (not that it's a really challenging read). Don't skip the chapter on "Crossing the Abyss" After three Challenges, I've come to realize that is the MOST IMPORTANT chapter in the book!

Then go to www.leanandstrong.com and check out the "Transformation Gallery" there for motivation. There are so many great transformations there - all ordinary people who decided to cross the abyss and take control of their physical and mental health.

Another good site to read is www.hussman.com/eas. Dr. Hussman's site goes into depth about the scientific reasons as to WHY the BFL program works that the book doesn't touch on.

After reading the Hussman site - you may be tempted to 'tweak' the BFL program a bit. Most of us old-timers would say emphatically - on your first 12-week cycle, GO STRICTLY BY THE BOOK - don't tweak anything. And be patient - change doesn't always happen overnight. If you're in the habit of weighing yourself once a day/week/month - get over it. On BFL, the SCALE LIES. I have lost maybe 10 pounds on BFL over 2 challenges which (if I was into the scale thing the way I was before) would totally depress me - BUT BUT BUT - I'm now wearing size six clothes (DKNY & Calvin Klein jeans) at 5'4" and 151.5 lb (last time I weighed which was at the end of C2).

Anyway, gotta run - take care!
Old 11-05-2001, 08:59 PM   #7  
Give Peace A Chance !

I'm going to read the book cover to cover. Then I'll be back with more questions. Thanks for all the advice so far.

Last edited by Tazmani77; 11-06-2001 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:10 PM   #8  

Default Challenge 2 has begun...

I was really worried about not lifting any weights during free week, but I listened to everyone's advice and didn't touch a dumbbell all week. This morning was my first UBWO of C2, and I'm stronger than I was at the end of C1! Of course I had a major case of "rubber arms" afterwards, and I'll probably be really sore tomorrow...but I was thrilled at the amount I could lift.

Welcome back, Susanje...glad to hear your trip was OK. And welcome Taz and Sean. BFL is a great program...and you can get as much out of it as you're willing to put into it. If you read the book and set your goals and give it 100%, you will be amazed at the results.

Goodnight all ---

Marci
Old 11-06-2001, 05:18 PM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

Default Mrs. Jim~~~

I have a few questions, please.
Do you know how many grams of carbs you take in on high-carb days as opposed to your lower-carb days?
So are you saying that on meal #3 you get a portion of protein and 2 of carbs? Do you ever reduce or omit a carb portion to get a low-carb day?
I was trying to zig-zag with a high cal/high carb (1400 cals/140 carbs) vs. low cal/low carb (1030 cals/66 carbs) but i found it difficult to stay on.
I know that you usually eat the same foods, but could you please post an example of your days? Thanks again, Sil
Old 11-06-2001, 05:54 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Post My typical day's menu-

Here's an example of a low-carb day:

Meal 1 - Myo Lite w/1 tbsp Udos
Meal 2 - Cottage Cheese and 1/2 banana
Meal 3 - Chicken breast, 3/4 apple and veggies (any amount)
Meal 4 - Tuna, 2 oz baked potato, veggies (any amount)
Meal 5 - Lean beef, 1/3 c. pinto beans, veggies (any amount)
Meal 6 - Myo Lite w/Udos

Daily total - 84g protein, 97g carbs, 57g fat, 1184 calories (more or less)

And a high-carb day:

Meal 1 - Myo Lite w/Udos
Meal 2 - Cottage cheese and 1 cup blueberries
Meal 3 - chicken breast, 1/2 banana, 1/3 c black beans, veggies, 1 tbsp flax oil
Meal 4 - 2 eggs, 7/8 c. grapes, 2 oz baked potato
Meal 5 - salmon, 1/3 c pinto beans, 2 oz pasta (usually couscous), veggies
Meal 6 - Myo Lite w/ Udos

Daily total - 98g protein, 140g carbs, 73g fat, 1553 calories (approximately)

On non-cardio days, I also have a post-workout shake which for me is a Myo Lite w/udos and banana thrown in.

Hope that helps you out, Sil!
Old 11-07-2001, 08:35 AM   #11  
Give Peace A Chance !

Mrs. Jim, I got the book and am almost done with it. It is an easy read. It doesn't give a sample menu of what to start out on. Could you post a typical menu for a beginner. I have no clue as to what to eat and I'm so afraid of eating the wrong things. Coming from the Atkins plan it is hard for me to get used to the idea of eating more carbs than 20/day. This help will give me an edge on getting started in the right way.

I hope you don't mind..............thank you much

Last edited by Tazmani77; 11-07-2001 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-07-2001, 09:32 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default BFL Meals

Taz - that's an easy question...

Actually in the book Bill Phillips does have some sample menus for three days. The only problem I have with the menus in the book is that three of them are meal replacement shakes (Myoplex). Personally I like to keep my MRP meals to two a day at most.

Here's what Dr. Hussman has to say about the Nutrition-for-Life plan on his site (www.hussman.com/eas):
Quote:
The core of the Nutrition-for-LIFE aspect of this program is to eat 6 limited, high quality meals a day. As Bill says, "A meal doesn't mean you have Mom lay out a napkin, and put a fancy plate of food out there. A meal simply means a portion of protein and a portion of carbohydrate. So a meal for me may mean a protein drink and a piece of fruit." If your goal is fat loss, remember: frequent, but limited (particularly in terms of refined carbohydrates).

Bill's advice seems to target about 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fat (which is largely contained in the whole foods you eat, even "lean" meats). Since you'll be doing weight training, shoot for at least a gram of protein per pound of lean weight daily, regardless of your specific goal.

As for how much to eat, Bill's "portion rule" is simple, and gets the job done. To keep it as simple as possible, Bill advises scaling your portions by the size of your open palm or closed fist. If you feel that you must count calories, or you want to do the calculations once just to make sure you're on track, see the section about "How calories work" on my main fitness page. You'll also see fairly quickly why Bill didn't include that discussion in his book. That said, try to keep it simple. The Body-for-LIFE program will work just fine using the "portion rule", as long as you're not holding your hand under a magnifying glass.
Basically, all you need to do is choose a food from the protein list (make sure it's the size of your palm); a food from the carb list (the size of your fist - my fist equals 1/2 cup of brown rice); add a veggie for at least two of your meals and that's it! The exception to the palm protein rule is eggs and cottage cheese - since they are 'fluffier' you need more than a fist-size portion usually.

Here's a typical day for me on my first two challenges:

Meal #1 - Myoplex Lite w/Udos or Flaxseed oil (1 Tbsp).
Meal #2 - Cottage cheese and fruit (usually melon)
Meal #3 - Grilled chicken breast w/ brown rice and veggies
Meal #4 - Cottage cheese and 1/2 banana or 1 apple
Meal #5 - Salmon, cous-cous with veggies
Meal #6 - Myoplex Lite w/ Udos (just before bedtime)

If you haven't already done so, do check out www.leanandstrong.com. Most of us here hang out there as well. During the week, Tall Jen (TJ) posts a daily menu thread, where you can post your daily menu for her to critique. Even if you don't post your menu, you can still learn a lot from just reading the thread and seeing what she says about others' menus! Check it out!!

PS - I almost forgot - check out the Cooking Library at L&S as well for some great BFL recipes - including my Joe's Special recipe!
Old 11-07-2001, 09:34 AM   #13  

Default hope ya like chicken breasts :)

Taz-

All meals combine a serving a protein with a serving of carbs. A serving equals a fist pretty much. Thats all it really takes. Mix cottage cheese with some fruit, down a myo lite shake, make up some chicken with cous cous or brown rice, etc. 6 meals a day....usually about every 2 1/2 - 3 hours apart. Oh...and add veggies to two meals.

I think a typical day might look like this...but anyone can feel free to correct me if its not right.

Meal 1: Myo lite shake after workout
Meal 2: cottage cheese/fresh blueberries
Meal 3: tuna salad/whole wheat bread
Meal 4: myo lite or bean salad
Meal 5: grilled chicken breast with brown rice
Meal 6: egg white omelet with spinach/tomatoes

Obviously there are tons of combo's you can make up with whatever you like to eat. I would think that Meal 6 could be optional if you aren't hungry, but from what I have heard you will be because your body needs the extra nutrition to grow and fuel your body for the workouts.

Later-

Doggz
Old 11-07-2001, 09:48 AM   #14  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thanks Mrs.Jim~~~That really helped. I entered your food choices (to the best of my ability) onto Fit Day and the numbers are not even close. My portions may be too big, since I don't weigh my food. For the examples that you gave to me I used 1 cup green beans as the veggie choice, and I'm not sure of the exact sizes of your banana/apple.

But if you get a chance, please check out my public fitday journal. I have not been using it lately, except to check out certain food combos, etc. For Nov 6 & 7 I entered your choices that you gave me. Let me know about the portions that I entered (might be too big) and therein lies my problem. Anyway, check out the numbers and let me know what I did wrong because the cals, carbs and protein are way off.
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...l?Owner=silbar
Old 11-07-2001, 11:55 AM   #15  

Default DOGGZ23 (aka Sean)

Like you, I've been "setting up" for my first challenge starting Monday, November 19. I've been experimenting with food, practicing the lifting with a trainer to get the form perfect, clearing out my cabinets, incorporating flax oil, trying out the MAS, etc. By the day I start, I'll have food in the cupboards and the freezer, gym visits scheduled, and all systems go! Many of us here lost weight another way before taking on BFL. Congratulations on the steps you've already taken to change your life!

Good to hear everyone is doing so well. Counting down to 11/19/01, D1,CH1...
Closed Thread