South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #1  
Your Cruise Director

Default Unsupportive Family

I swear they think I'm nuts. I'm fininshing week 1 now, and have had a very successful week. My family on the other hand is being less supportive then I wish.
When I told them I was going to do this, I promised that there would not be a change to what they eat, but there would be a change to what i eat. For example if I make porkchops, rice and a veg for dinner, instead I eat the porkchop without glaze the veg and add a second veg.

One of my partners was upset that I wouldnt eat the fried rice he made Friday. The other interrogates me this morning about "how long this is going to go on"
Um forever? Even after I finish my chosen three weeks of phase 1, phase 2 isnt all chocolate cake and noodles.

Gah. I'm just venting. I dont mind going it alone, I just wish they didnt worry about what I'm eating.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #2  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Stick it out Seattle Jo. I've gotten that too but it's not worth the sabotage. You tell them that it's going to last long and you'll be healthy!!!

I know it's easier said than done...but in the end you will be so very happy!!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

SeattleJo for hanging in there, despite your family and friends' support! They should be proud of the fact that you are working on maintaining a healthy lifestyle, unfortunately, they may feel threatened by the "new you." Reassure them that you are still the same person you always were before, just a whole lot healthier!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #4  
This is the Last Time!!!

S/C/G: HW283/GW170

Height: 5'5"

I just gotta ask, how many "partners" do you have?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:16 PM   #5  
Your Cruise Director

Thanks everyone. Its frustrating. I went out for a walk this morning just to get out of the house and get some exercise in, and they still registered a fair amount of suprise. I dont think its that they are seeing me as a threat, i think they just dont get it.

In the interest of not scandalizing everyone I'll answer the how many partners question in PM
Old 03-18-2007, 04:44 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 205/173/145

Height: 5'8"

I had the same problem with my DB...At first, he was really un supportive.

Once he figured out that this was the way I chose to live my life, he decided to try some of the things I was eating.

Much to my delight, he now loves turkey bacon, quit drinking soda, and even buys SBD freezer dinners.

Just stick to it and they will see your positive changes and maybe you will make an impact with your family.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM   #7  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I LOVE scandal!!!

But like I said, stick to it girl!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #8  

I love scandal too...

Hang in there Seattlejo, eventually they'll get the hint, see that you're totally serious and leave you alone... It takes a while though, people can be sloooow sometimes ...
Old 03-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #9  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Just stick to your guns and I think once they see how important this is to you and how determined you are, then they'll come around.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not easily scandalized.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:08 PM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Jo, it's hard sometimes for people to get used to things. Even though they know that the changes you're making are healthy, they might be scared just to see things change! It's something people experience when alcoholics become sober. It's a great thing and they know that, but they feel frustrated because things are changing. Weird, but true. Your partners might also be a little afraid that they'll get used to these changes and then you'll go back to your old ways and they'll feel frustrated...they may hold out until they are sure you're really going to do this. You'll show them that pretty soon, I think! My DH said that he really believed me when he saw me toss a nearly full carton of ice cream right in the trash because it wasn't SBD safe. I was sure of myself once I got going and saw how good it made me feel, but to be fair, I'd done tons of other plans that I was sure of and gave up within a month or 6 weeks. So DH was right to be cautious of me, I guess. But he's definitely become incredibly supportive, even though it did take him a long time to get used to SBD and what was and wasn't okay.

I think support at home is so important, but you do have to make them believe you by sticking to your guns and not falling for any sabotage, intentional or otherwise. Sounds like you have the singular advantage of your partners possibly convincing each other to get on board...so let's hope that if one of them starts to see the light, he'll convince the other!

No worries about scandal...we have people from all walks of life here. It's a safe space, but you don't have to reveal any more about your life than you feel comfortable doing, Jo. But it would be helpful for us to know what you want us to call your partners and what pronouns to use so we don't offend you! We've had all sorts of fun monikers for our special someones. D (for dear or other adjectives when they're bad... ) combined with an initial for their relationship, F for fiance(e), B for boyfriend, G for girlfriend, H for husband, etc. is pretty common around here. That way you don't have to share names if you don't want, and you don't have to write out long words either. My favorite moniker to date was Jenn's 'HB' for her 'Honey Bunny.' I'm thrilled that she's married now (YAY!!! ) but as much as I love seeing her write "DW" for her Dear Wife, I do miss that adorable "HB" from time to time. :

Keep posting here and stand your ground, Jo. I know you'll make it, and what's much more important, *you* know it!
Closed Thread