General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 10:37 AM   #1  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Thumbs down PMD #71 - Prevention Healing Diet

This Diet is currently being promoted on newstands as the Prevention Healing Diet. The
booklet will
be on sale through Nov. 23, 2001.

Prevention Millennium Diet*

Daily servings
veg and fruits, 9 servings ( 5 veg/4 fruit)
whole grains, 3-6 servings
high-calcium, 2-3 servings

Weekly servings:
Beans - 5+
Nuts - 5
Fish - 2

Serving Sizes

veg. & fruit
1 serving = 1/2 c. chopped fruit
1/2 c. cooked or raw veg.
1 c. raw green leaves
3/4 c. veg or fruit juice

Whole Grains
1 serving = 1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 rice or bulgar
1/2 c whole wheat pasta

Calcium 1 serving = 1 c ff or 1% milk
1 c ff yogurt
1 c calcium fortified O.J.
1 oz. reduced ff cheese

Supplements
100% DV multivitamin/mineral
500 (under 50) to 1000 (over 50) mg. calcium
100-400 IU Vit. E
100-500 mg Vit. C

Keep calories to 1500 a day - 250 cal. per meal. Eat 6 small meals a day. Do not exceed 42
fat
grams per day.

Drink 8 glasses water and 1+ cup of tea daily.

* Copied from the Jan. 2000 issue of Prevention Magazine

This Diet is currently being promoted on newstands as the Prevention Healing Diet. The
booklet will
be on sale through Nov. 23, 2001.
Old 11-01-2001, 08:17 PM   #2  
Chick

Default Goodevening,

How is everyone?

judi, I hope you haven't got off to California before I got to wish you a good and safe trip. Have fun.

All is well here. I seem to have gotten my equilibrium back from my trip, the time change, etc.

Beatrice just returned home after being out for two days. We were really worried and with good cause I guess. One of her eyes is swollen shut. She seems hungry, thirsty and perky enough, but I am concerned about her. I have been putting hydrogen peroxide on it and we'll see how it looks in the morning.

Not much news other than that. Everyone have a nice day tomorrow.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:49 AM   #3  

Default evenin' all

Ledom, we are leaving tomorrow. How is Beatrice's eye? Maybe she brushed by some branches or twigs, poor cat.

Alice, what did Lacee think of her first snowfall?

Today a friend and I went to the Hadassah Bazaar and bought loads of delicious pastries (to freeze of course)

I am taking along the Nov. Prevention Healing Diet book to re-read and try to look at with new eyes. Going to give that ol college try for the gazillionth time.

Hi Shebacat and Lady Windsong!

Hope to be able to email you all from someplace along the trip. Everyone have a good weekend and upcoming week
Old 11-02-2001, 09:36 AM   #4  

Angry Hello........

I hope everyone is having a good day. It's awfully foggy this morning. I really want to go for my walk, so I hope it burns off in the next half hour or so.

ledom~I am so sorry about your kitty's eye. How is it doing? Better, I hope. It's really frustrating at times because they can't tell you what is wrong nor what happened to them.

judi~When we let Lacee out the first time, I don't think she even noticed the snow mixing with the rain. DH let her out just before we went to bed he didn't say what her reaction was. The test will be when we get our first measurable snowfall. We did have snow when we brought her home, but she was only a tiny little thing, and she did not go outside to do her duties. Have a very safe trip to Calif.

Hello Shebacat and Lady Windsong!

Take care. Alice
Old 11-03-2001, 11:47 AM   #5  
Chick

Smile Goodmorning,

Alice, your two 20 minute walks a day sound good.

Beatrice' eye is looking better. Something really chewed on her though. She is in healing mode, sitting very quietly on the rug and getting regular doses of peroxide. She went out and sat in the sun for a while this morning, but didn't protest when I brought her back in. I am afraid for her to be out if she can't see out of one eye.

Well, a little bragging time please. I couldn't sleep last night so I got in my closet and tried on all my smallest clothes. They fit, I am in them with the exception of that elusive jean skirt that now zips but is WAY to tight. On my little jog this morning I was really visualizing all my clothes getting too big and having to buy new ones. Fun daydream!

So, I feel that I am in a good place now. I have exercised regularly for the last 3 months and pretty regularly before that. I have upped my weights and started jogging a mile 3 or 4 times a week and that is what I attribute my success to. I have been dieting pretty good with plenty of not so good days. The exercise is what is tipping the scale I believe.

Maybe I am naive, but I think I can pull off a reasonable holiday season as well, meaning not gaining 10 lbs. in one month!

Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:41 AM   #6  

Angry Good Monday morning........

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend. On Sun. we did a few winter chores around the house. DH cleaned out the gutters, we raked leaves, and staked out some driveways so when DH and our neighbor have to plow they know where the gutters and rocks are in the road. By evening, we were both pretty tired, but it was a good tired. It was early to bed!! Friends of our's stopped by unexpectedly, which was a nice surprise.

ledom~That is fantastic being able to fit into smaller clothes!!! You should be very proud of yourself. All your exercising has paid off in a big way!!!
I'm glad that Beatrice's eye is getting better. How is her eye doing now? Is her eye scratched?
I found some protein bars at Sams Club the other day. They are low in carbs., which is good for me. I'm watching my sugar intake along with everything else. These have 230 cal., and a tad bit more fat 8 - 9 g., than the 6g. the PHD recommends. I cannot get over how energized I feel after eating one!

judi~I hope you are having a great trip.

Hello shebacat and Lady Windsong.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-05-2001, 09:11 AM   #7  
Chick

Default Goodmorning Alice..

and the rest of the gang.

Alice, what brand are the energy bars. I just posted on the clif bar thread about wanting to find one higher in protein.
Your day of fall chores sounded fun. Glad you had a good weekend.

Mine weekend was fun too. D & I went to big city on Sat., she picked out the clothes she wants for Christmas so I felt I got a lot of my holiday shopping done. We had the best lunch, she is such a good girlfriend. We ate 1/2 or entree's and then had it packed to take home some we could share a tiramisu and coffee. We were happy girls when we left that restaurant and we couldn't wait for supper. My entree was a mushroom, pepper and spinach calzonetto with this divine balsamic dipping sauce. Yum!

Yesterday I took my kayak out. It had been a month since the last time I was out. The day was gorgeous, the high about 74 so that the water wasn't too cold, but even at high noon it wasn't too hot to be paddling. I haven't figured my distance yet, but I was out from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. I followed three bays up too the creek source. Once I went so far up a narrow creek that I had to paddle backwards to get out. When you get up in the little narrows you find the most amazing land formations. I shot about 3 rolls of film.

So, back to the salt mines today. But, Thanksgiving break is coming up very soon as is my b'day. This year it is just 2 days before Thanksgiving.

Beatrice' eye is healing, but it doesn't look good. Kind of milky. I am really afraid she has major damage to her eye. She isn't 100 % in energy level either. She is sleeping a lot though her appetite, etc. seems good. She may have to be an indoor cat again. She is a little cat, maybe that is why she is the one that always gets beat up. This is the second time she has come in looking gnawed on. She isn't agressive and she has been fixed. Ricky Martin is the one you would think that would have trouble, but he hasn't so far.

judi, shebacat, windsong - hope you all are doing well.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:52 AM   #8  

Angry Good morning......

I only got 1 walk in yesterday morning. It was raining pretty good by the afternoon with SNOW mixed in. I heard that farther north they received around 6 - 8"
I'm just not ready for that yet!

ledom~The power bars we bought at Sams Club are called, "Carb Solutions". They only had 2 flavors, Chocolate Peanut Butter and Chocolate fudge Almond. I just received my monthly issue of Health Magazine, and I saw an ad for a low carb power bar sold at GNC, called, "Nitro-Tech".

Your day out with your daughter sounds really nice. A friend of mine recently told me that her daughter is her best friend. I do remember my mother being my best friend when I got into my 20's, which seems eons ago. That's great you were able to get some of your shopping done.

The kayak trip sounds wonderful. It sounds like your pictures will be beautiful. Do you get the fall foliage that we get in the north?
It must have been so peaceful where you paddled. It is too cold and the lake is too rough to go out in the canoe. Unfortunately we never got the chance to go out this fall.

I hope the start of your week was good.

Hello judi, shebacat, & Lady Windsong, I hope you are all doing well.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-06-2001, 02:25 PM   #9  
Chick

Default Hi Alice,

It has been a busy morning. We are registering students for next semester so my office has been full of kids all morning. I have a bit of a break now.

Well, D and I have our moments. The older she gets, the more "friends" we are - as long as she remembers whose boss.

Yes, our foliage is really nice right now. I do shoot in black and white so my nature photos are a lot about composition more than about color. I really think this might be prime kayaking weather, I just have to watch about the wind. I may be able to get out again Thurs., just savor it before winter gets here. I can't believe you have snow already.

I am on a mission to find a protein bar that I can afford, one that I have tried and really like is almost $3, a far cry from the 99 cents Clif Bars are often on sale for. I stock up when they go on sale.

I exercised this a.m. Yesterday morning I was too worn out from my day of kayaking. I usually don't exercise on Monday because it is such a rush to get back into my work routine after the weekend.

I haven't weighed in a while and think I might in the next day or two. I have been going by my clothes and feeling encouraged by that, sometimes the scales make me apprehensive.

Later...
Old 11-07-2001, 08:49 AM   #10  

Angry Good morning ledom,

From what I have read in the past, they say that your best indication of how you are doing with your weight loss is by how your clothes fit. Since you have been exercising quite a bit, you have lost fat and built muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. So...don't get discouraged if the scale hasn't gone down very much. Good luck with your weigh in.

I honestly don't know if I should stick with the power bar snack anymore. The scale hasn't budged, and I am wondering if that could be the problem. I am also wondering if 1500 cal. is too much for me. Maybe instead of 6 mini-meals, I'll only have 5, and no power bar. I will try that and see.

I did get my 2 walks in yesterday. I felt like a frozen popsicle when I came home. On my way home I was walking into the wind. I don't think I will be able to walk today, as I have to go later this morning to register my car, then I have to clean house because I have a friend stopping by tomorrow who has never seen my house, and I want it looking up to snuff. I honestly don't know how 2 people and a dog make such a mess!!!

I hope today is not as busy for you as it was yesterday.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-07-2001, 12:17 PM   #11  
Chick

Default Alice,

How are you liking your new car? Your description of it sounded so pretty.

Well, I am on the energy bar problem too. I stopped at Kroger yesterday, they have a really good selection so I thought I'd try a variety. I was looking for something more high protein/low carb. The one I had the a.m. had 19 g of protein compared to much lower in the clif bar, the carbs were lower and it was 170 cals. as opposed to 250 for the clif bar. It was a Power Bar Protein Plus. Not as yummy, but it still satsified me. My morning routine is this, I get up. Have a bowl of cereal, do 1/2 my tape, jog a mile, shower, get ready. Drive to work. On the drive to work I have a cup of green tea and a power bar. Then I have lunch around noon. You know I was thinking about calories and how I'd lose better if I ate fewer. But you know Alice, I think if I went below 1500 I'd be so hungry that I would just go off the diet in frustration. Guessing but I think I am down 30 maybe 35 lbs. for the last 2 years. It doesn't seem that great, considering I need to lose twice that much more, BUT I have kept it off which is a huge accomplishment. I am not will to change anything accept try to make sure that I do 1500 every day instead of just some of the days and 1700 other days. Just one cheat snack and I'm at 1700 and that happens more days than I would like to admit.

I didn't weigh this morning. I am not sure when I will, but it will be one morning when I get up feeling especially light. Like not much water retention, etc.

Take care, enjoy your company.
Old 11-09-2001, 08:21 AM   #12  
Chick

Default Goodmorning,

TGIF - though I do have to work tomorrow too.

Well I weighed this morning. I am down 4 1/2 lbs from the first of Oct. In my mind I am rounding it off to 5 as I had Mexican out last night.

So I have lost, roughly, a little less than a lb. a week. I feel ok about that. I sure wish for the days when I could lose 2 lbs. a week but those days, along with my youth, are gone. I do not feel discouraged at all. I do feel like I want to refine my focus. Things like getting more water and getting my calories from higher quality food.

I was off yesterday. I kayaked and it was just sublime. I was paddling across the lake as the sun came up. I flushed out a flock of wild turkeys on the shore line and then a little later came upon three wild turkeys getting a drink (made me think of Thanksgiving). I saw a hornets nest, the first one I have ever seen out in the woods, and when I was loading my boat back up I saw a buck with a beautiful set of antlers. All that, plus the beauty of the water, rocks, wildflowers. It was a perfect day.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:40 AM   #13  

Angry Good morning......

I had a wonderful day shopping yesterday. My friend and I met at a park & ride near where I live around 8:00am yesterday morning, we headed north to North Conway where they have a gazzillion outlet stores. We did not get home until 6:00 pm. It was a very full day to say the least. My eating was just so-so. We stopped for lunch and I had the most delicious Southwestern Chicken/Corn Chowder I have ever tasted. It was so delicious that I ordered 2 more chowders to bring home so that DH and I can have it for supper some night.

ledom~That is fantastic losing 5 lb. Way to go!!!! Losing weight slowly is the best way to lose it. I know what you mean about not being able to lose 2 lb. a week as we did when we were younger. The first time I lost a lot of weight I was in my 20's and I did lose 2 lb. a week. Did you have your camera to take photos of the wildlife? Seeing what you saw would make it perfect day for me too. This past spring and summer we had a family of wild turkeys in our area. There was the mother and 11 or 12 babies. Towards the end of summer you couldn't tell the mother apart from her babies! Sometimes we would look out our livingroom window and see them sunning themselves in our front yard.

I find eating the 6 small meals is getting better for me. Since I haven't lost weight, just stayed the same, I thought that I would omit my afternoon meal, but I find that by eating around 3:00pm that I am not famished at supper and I do eat a lot less, as I don't nibble as I am cooking.

Enjoy your weekend even though you have to work Sat. On Sun. I am off to visit with my cousin.

Take care. Alice
Old 11-12-2001, 10:05 AM   #14  
Chick

Default Goodmorning,

I hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine was nice. I accomplished a lot. Sat. I did a recruiting trip, but had a chance to mark a few more items off my christmas list as well. Sun. I raked leaves and worked in my darkroom. D & I went for a nice hike on Sun. On Sunday I didn't diet. I was just feeling very hungry and decided to take a day off. I don't feel to badly about it, for one thing a day off is so different that a day off used to be. Also, I feel confident going in to today that I will stick with the program.

Glad you had a good shopping day with your friend Alice. Shopping is GREAT therapy, don't you think?!? At least great fun.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:39 AM   #15  

Angry Good morning......

Ledom, I am glad that you had such a nice weekend and got a lot of things accomplished. Mine was very nice too. My visit with my cousin was very nice, and our shopping trip was very productive. I got my Christmas wrapping paper and most important, I bought something for Lacee Shopping is great fun and something I like to do. Buying something you don't need is great therapy.

You have a great attitude with dieting. It's great to take a day off once a week to eat whatever you want. I find I can't diet 7 days a week. My "cheat" night is usually Friday.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend and a good start to your week.

Take care. Alice
Closed Thread