Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 11:25 PM   #1  

Unhappy Scared to go into WW meeting

So I tell my husband that I go to WW. I do, I just don't tell him that I sit in the car and cry w/o ever actually going into the meeting. This has been going on for months!! Am I the only one that can't get into a meeting? I can't figure out what my problem is. I am educated, great career and wonderful family. Yet, I feel that WW is some sort of rehab. I know I need to be there-- I just can't go. I'm feeling like the Britney of WW. I absolutely need to do something about my weight but I'm scared to even get out of the car. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
Anne
Old 03-07-2007, 11:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 239.9/226.8/175

Height: 5'4"

The first step in the door is the hardest! Once you get in the door the first time, it gets easier! Everyone in there is fighting the same demons! Go for it!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:21 AM   #3  
so close, yet so far...

S/C/G: wanna be 135

Height: 5'3"

I think you'll find that most leaders and the people who work at WW are really friendly and welcoming. There's nothing to be afraid of. The members are just regular people with a common problem who go to the meetings for support. Would it help you if you took an understanding friend along? It's always easier to face the unknown with someone you know and trust. But really, like the previous poster said, the 1st step in the door is the hardest (I know this because I've had to make that 1st step 3 times! ). I think you'll find that once you do it, you'll be glad you did. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #4  
banned

anne,

i know how you feel. i hope you dontr get offended but by any chance do you have people related anxiety issues cuz that might have something to do w it.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:55 PM   #5  
I <3 Gaby

S/C/G: 107.6kg/89.8kg/58kg

Height: 5'0

aw sweety, my heart goes out to you.... ((Hugs))

My first meeting, my Mum pretty much had to force me into it... and when I had that first weigh in I thought "god this is never going to happen"

but you know what? My second weigh in - when I found I had lost 1.6kg (3.5lb), I felt SO bloody good about myself! I was on a high - I had taken the first step of going into the meeting - and it had paid off with a pretty decent weight loss!

I am into my 4th week on the POINTS plan now, and each day that I accomplish my mini-goals, or stick my points, drink all my water, do exercise..... it makes me feel so good about myself...

Even after only 4 weeks, my self esteem is much higher, it's amazing what doing something POSITIVE for yourself, can do for your self esteem!!!

A lady at my meetings was inthe same position as you - it took her months to actually get in the door... What she did, was write a list of ALL the positives of going to WW, and her reasons for going... For her first day of going into Weight Watchers, she just did the weigh in & then left... and then she REWARDED herself for making that first important step.. I can't remember what she did, I think she got a manicure or something.

for the nexxt couple of weeks she just came ot the weigh in, but then on her 4th week going, she stayed for her very first meeting - and has been at every single one since!!!

I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you are able to make it into your first meeting soon - that was certainly the most daunting step for me...
((hugs))
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Awww.... Taking the first step can be the hardest thing but it is a positive move towards good health, more energy and feeling good about your self.

As others here pointed out, the people in that meeting room are going through similar things as you and you are and some of them probably had the same feelings of anxiety and trepidation.

I have a fear of heights and to deal with it I do crazy things like go up the CN Tower, the Space Needle - sit in the window sit in an airplane, ride roller coasters - just to force myself to face my fear and try to conquer it. I won't be going skydiving anytime soon but I am now able to stand on a balcony 20 floors up without wanting to run inside so I am making progress.

You can do it!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

Coincidental you should post this. One of our members in our meeting has now lost 100 lbs. The leader asked her how she felt before she started coming. She said she cried every day at least once about her weight for months before joining. When she decided to join, she sat in the car and cried. Stopped herself and came through the door. She sat through the first meeting and said it's been a step up EVERY week since. She's been coming since just after Christmas 2005. She's in her 60s and looks great. If ANYONE can do it, you can. Best of luck. The first and hardest part is coming through the door and joining. The tools they give you are fabulous. You'll be surprised as there are people from every walk of life and in every age group. With a common goal. No judging. Just great help.

Let us know when you make that first step. We'll be here rooting you on.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

What a great story Rosegarden! Glad that lady did so well!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #9  

Anne: First you need to get over feeling like something is wrong with you that needs to be fixed. You have to LOVE, yes, LOVE yourself overweight so you can love yourself thin. I am adament about women feeling beautiful in any size because they are. Instead of thinking this is some place you are going to "get fixed" think of it as a group of friends that are like you and want to share in all their good fortune because finding WW is good fortune for you! Believe, truly believe that at the size you are now is ok, but that you want to be even better. You are beautiful, caring, funny, helpful and all the wonderful adjectives that everyone knows you are now. No fat person is ugly. I like to use the word fat because we need to make that not an ugly word. BTW, I always feel I am beautiful and I started WW at 362 lbs. I will always be beautiful and you are too! Now, go out and meet those new friends of yours and have fun!!!! Faye
Old 03-11-2007, 03:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 230/230/225

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Anne,

Today I joined WW and yesterday I had posted that I needed help getting in the door. I read a few messages of support and felt much better. However, this morning, I looked at the clock, the meeting was at 9:00 a.m., and I rolled over, and rolled back and finally my feet hit the ground and off I went.
I've set a small goal of 5 pounds. The funny part of it is that I didn't stay for the meeting, didn't want to know how much I weighed and hightailed it out of there as quick as I could. As I sat in my car with a fistful of information, I realized I did not know how many points I could eat........I hesitated and thought "Gee it must be about 30, so I'll do that".....but I thought for a minute more on how I was setting myself for failure from the get go and got out of the car and went back in and asked for my points (29). I still didn't stay for the meeting, but the power I felt from going back in was great. Left there and did a 3 kilometer slow walk with a friend and our dogs. It's almost time for bed and I haven't eaten 29 points and tonight I can't. It's too late in the evening to eat. But I made the best choices I could today even though I ate more carb than I should and not enough water.......but you know what......I'm proud of my day........oh and I also took all my "big" clothes to consignment as well. No more hiding. I'm overweight, I have alot to lose, but today I felt so much more positive. That first step was hard and so will the second, and perhaps the twentieth.......it's all relative. So deep breath, shoulders back and move on out of the car......we are all there with you........and when you get in there say hi to everyone from all of us at 3FC, because we are a team.......Next weeks goal for me: Staying for the meeting...oh and drinking water......auuggghhhh. Night all.........
Closed Thread