Old 02-27-2007, 04:16 PM   #1  

Default Can I be GAINING from 1200-1350 cals per day?

I ama veteran dieter, so with that said...yes, I weigh and measure all of my food, I use fitday to track my food each day and I range between 1200-1350 cals per day, 1400 is what I consider a really HUGE day once in a blue moon.

I eat oatmeal, brown rice, fruits,veggies, vegetarian soups, beans, egg whites, yogurt, soy milk and chicken maybe once a month when I see my calories are really low and I need something clean to boost my calories up. I dont eat processed food with the exception of brown rice cakes and maybe a teaspoon of dark chocolate mini chips if I am craving a sweet. I dont eat breads, pasta or red meats or meat at all except that chicken once a month or so.

When I plan out my day on fitday, I list everything out and sometimes am still below 1200 calories, which I know is a no-no, so I add more clean choices. I am rarely hungry and need to MAKE myself eat sometimes. Now,the scale is not only stuck, it has risen about 2-4 pounds over the last few weeks (depending on when I weigh). Heres what has changed..I was running 2-3 times per week (5 miles) which I havent done in 6 weeks (knee injury) and Im probably not drinking enough water.

My daily breakdown is usually 60% carbs, 30% protein, 10% fat and my fiber intake is usually between 40-50 grams...Im wondering if I am just bloating from too much fiber? Is this possible with this much fiber? I really dont see HOW the scale can NOT move, eating salads, soup, beans and a cup of steel cut oatmeal...its just not mathematically possible...so is it the large fiber intake?

Im ok to maintain a few pounds below what I am now, I just feel my clothes differently and I dont know if its just cos I havent been able to run...I just dont want the scale going in the wrong direction. Ive been as high as 203 after my last child (was 245 during) and am happy to have been in te 130's for a year now..just wishing I could stabilize a little lower and dont like how my clothes feel right now. Help me!!
3boysathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #2  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

S/C/G: 211/204/150

Height: 5'9"

Try upping your calories for a couple of days, to wake your system up. You might be surprised at the result!

Gingercakes
Gingercakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:22 PM   #3  

How many would you think to try? Problem a lot of times is, that if I "up", my fiber content REALLY gets huge, like 60 grams...that seems like too much of a good thing...
Old 02-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #4  

I agree with Gingercakes that you might need to shake things up a little - especially if you've been eating very similar foods at a very similar calorie level each day. Eventually, your body can settle into a complacent mode...alternating some higher calorie days with the lower ones could make a difference.

Also, it's highly possible that stopping your exercise - especially in combination with not drinking enough water - could be part of the problem right now. Your body was burning a lot of calories on those runs of yours, and now that's not happening - that alone could mean a couple of pounds go on quickly. Are you doing *any* activity now (walking, or swimming, or ??), or nothing? If nothing, you could definitely try something like water aerobics until your knee is better - adding the activity back, in a way you can manage, will likely help things get going in the right direction again. If you just can't be active right now, then definitely focus on getting your water in (ESPECIALLY with all that fiber!!) and try to keep your body guessing with the calories each day. It doesn't mean you need to eat more all the time - your weekly calories can still average out, just alternate higher days with lower (but not too low!) days.

Also - if you've been cutting a lot of fat out of your diet you may want to work on building that number back up. Most "balanced" eating plans recommend no more than 30% calories from fat....your 10% is quite low and could be part of the problem. We need fat in our diets for all kinds of reasons - I know from my own low-fat diet experiences that when I reduced fat too much, I stopped losing weight.

Last edited by sugarlove; 02-27-2007 at 04:36 PM.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #5  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

As you up your calories, you can change your ratios. The body changes when it's surprised. Try having a cheat day, or add a few "empty" calories, to see if that helps. I would try to go up to 2000 or so, but for no longer than two days. Then go back to your regular eating plan, and see if that wakes up your system enough. When our bodies get used to conditions, it stops changing. Of course, you can also tweak your nutritional ratios to try to boost yourself, but I'd add a few calories for a few days, and then continue on with my routine. It can't hurt to try....?

Gingercakes
Old 02-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #6  
No cake 4 Gingercakes!

I just re-read your post and agree with Susie regarding your fat intake. 10% is a bit low.....

We all need a certain amount of fat in our diets. I keep my fat intake at 25-30%.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #7  

If you aren't drinking a lot of water, try to avoid taking in too much fiber - 60grams is a lot!!

Can you try adding in some foods that you don't typically eat? Not junk - but how about some peanut or almond butter? Avocadoes? Something high in calories, with healthy fats....and lower fiber This will give you an increase in calories that you don't typically allow yourself without sacrificing the healthy way you choose to eat.
sugarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #8  
cals. in v. cals. out

S/C/G: 157/151/130

Height: 5'6

Maybe stopping exercising and maintaing your same caloric intake is also part of the problem? Is there any movement you can do to get your heart rate up for a bit that doesn't aggravate your injury?
I know a lot of people on here have used a dvd called walk off the pounds. They seem to think it's great. I've never done it but maybe that's something you can do so you can get your exercise in.
nomorefatpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:46 PM   #9  

Ive got three little boys so Im hardly sedentary and I plan to get back to walk/running within the next two weeks...I get what youre saying about the shake up..I guess this cup of popcorn that I just ate doesnt cut it in the world of reality (as opposed to my skewed,restrictive world! LOL!)- Ill try to boost it. But on the fiber (and yes, 60 is rare...its usually 45-50), could that be making bloating or retention (other than the obvious waste...I mean water retention)? Good point on the fat...thanks, PLEASE keep it coming!!
Old 02-27-2007, 04:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I'm a big fan of protein. If I was going to tweak your calories upward ... that's what I'd do. More chicken? a shake?
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:54 PM   #11  

Yea...I know, lean protein is awesome...I was following the Fat Smash plan since late September (broke my long plateau of 5 pounds which brought me to goal- then Ive stalled out again) and that broke me of meats/poultry. Maybe I should go back to more "balanced" eating with the poultry added in. Im similar in stats to you, Susan, so if it works for you, Ill give it a go. Whats your daily caloric intake like?
Old 02-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Theoretically it's 1200 cals per day ... just a minute ..... er maybe 1600 according to fitday

When I'm really in a groove it's 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fats.
In a perfect world, I'd do some cardio and/or weights 6 days per week .. at home.

Now in reality ... why don't you come join us in the Featherweights threads? We'll put our heads together and get you down into those clothes nicer.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

I wouldn't add any calories if you aren't exercising....I think once you start exercising you will start losing weight again ... Running 60 mins burns approximately 350+ calories depending on your weight, etc... So if you ran 2-3 times/week before that would be about 700-1050 burned, that is a LOT of calories burned ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #14  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

5 miles 2-3 times a week is 1000-1500 calories/week, so that could be part of it. Also as a runner, when I stop running I sometimes "stop" elsewhere and bloat. My system is used to working with running.

But 10% fat is really low. I wonder if your metabolism has suffered maintaining that activity level on that low of fat and calories.

Also, if you are injured, there may be some benefit in increasing your healthy fat % permanently. There was a study reported in the latest Women's health that runners who ate below 20% were injured more often then runners who ate 31% fat. The fat is necessary to lubricate and maintain tendons, cartilage etc.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:07 AM   #15  

I went back through my fitday...in actuality, my average fat intake is more like 19%, so its not as bad as I originally wrote. Love these replies though, thanks and keep em coming!