Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #1  

Unhappy Need a hug...

I'm new here but I could use a . DH is in Iraq and I've been working since beginning of Dec. to lose weight. Well, today while talking with DH I let something slip (it was supposed to be a surprise) about my loss. When I told him how much I had lost, all he said was "that's nice". Not a way to go, I'm proud of you, nothing. I've lost 25 pounds guys, that's major for me! I haven't been this small in like 7 years.

I'm not going to let this stop me, but it really is a bummer!

Thanks for listening!
Jenn
sooooperbizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #2  
Coldblooded Thread Killa

Height: 5'3"

Awwww.... You're right not to let it stop you; having our mates notice and be impressed by our weight loss is wonderful, but at heart you have to do this for YOURSELF.

I'm sure he was just distracted.
callystia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 05:58 PM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Here's a big from me, too. Men can be really thoughtless sometimes. Just remember what callystia said . . . you've got to do it for yourself.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:11 PM   #4  
Meg

Jenn, if it makes you feel any better, I had to tell DH when I lost 100 pounds and he squinted his eyes, looked at me and said ...

That's nice, dear!

just like your DH. Men!!

(it doesn't mean that they don't care or appreciate how hard we've worked ... I think sometimes they just don't know what to say when the topic is weight ... it's such a minefield!)
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #5  

Height: 5'7"

MaWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/130/130

Height: 5'5

Jenn,

My take on it is this...men just don't take weight/weight loss as that big a deal, especially in the women that they love. The reason for that is because they love us either way, and often don't see the differance when we do change because they just don't think about it. Either way, we're beautiful/sexy to them. It seems strange to us, because we obsess about it so much.

I've been with my boyfriend for 2 years, and that pretty much comes straight from his mouth
just_a_dreamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #7  
Make it a great day!

S/C/G: 196.6/191.2/160

Height: 5'6.5"

I am sorry that he did not share your victory with you! I am proud of you, as 25 pounds is quite an accomplishment! Keep on, keeping on! Be so proud of yourself, and keep up the awesome work!
WorkinItGirl1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/180/140

Height: 5'3"

I know my husband doesn't seem concerned because whether I am 200 pounds or 150 pounds, he loves me just the same. It doesn't make it easy. That is why I come here for support.
You have done awesome. You should be really proud of yourself. Congratulations.
Wanna be a loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:58 PM   #9  
Am I a senior too?

S/C/G: 74/64.2/58

Height: 153cm

I started on my weight control just today, but have been "talking" about it for months after last bub. My other half says he will support me and asks how. I am lucky to have him, but i wish he wouldnt discuss it with his work collegues. It's embarrassing cause he works in a warehouse where gossip is rife. If I fail I don't want people to snigger at me. I know he's only trying to help but I'd rather he help silently.

He always tells me I am beautiful and loves my body and can't understand WHY I want to do this for myself.

Males - They just don't get it.
7senuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:27 PM   #10  

Aww, I'm almost in tears! Thanks ya'll!!! I feel better. He's usually such a thoughtful guy, it just caught me off guard I guess. But, here's to keepin' on keepin' on!

I love you all!!!
sooooperbizee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:29 PM   #11  
Meg

How long until DH comes home? I'll bet you'll knock his socks off when he actually sees you in person!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #12  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

Congratulations on the awesome wt. loss. WTG. Your DH will be so happy when he sees you. I'm sure it's hard for him to visualize it over the phone. Plus men are just men.

meg is right, wt is such a "minefield". My DH said very little while I was losing weight. I told the people here on 3FC's that I finally met my goal at least 2 weeks before I told DH. He didn't really encourage my wt. loss or discourage it. He never said anything bad at all before I lost the weight. He has now said that one reason he never says much about it is he thinks I'll think that he thought I looked bad before. (man, that didnt' come out right , but I'm sure you'll know what I mean). Hugs.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #13  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

Jenn, Congratulations on your success! He'll be so proud of you when he sees you!

I agree with Meg who said that men don't know what to say. My husband always seems to think it's a trick question, when I say something about my weight, and he's never sure what to say. I finally had to tell him a few months ago that I needed him to say encouraging things to me, and he's tried to since then.

Lilybelle, I understood exactly what you meant.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #14  

Jenn rocks!!!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 10:29 PM   #15  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

You know, I've learned - slowly - that if we want something from the men in our lives, we have to be blunt and ask them directly for what we want. Hints they usually don't catch; subtlety passes right under their radar. But if we tell them flat-out, "Honey, here's what I want from you in this situation..." they're usually more than happy to try to give us that. At least, my DH (well, we're not married, but near enough) is like that. If I call him when I'm feeling lonely and insecure (it's a long-distance relationship) and just expect comfort, it usually doesn't work, and I end up getting mad at him for being "unsupportive". However, when I call and tell him, "Love, I'm really lonely and kind of insecure right now. Can you please spend some time with me and remind me that I'm not alone in this?" he will do exactly that, and especially once I've told him what my general need is, he can take it from there.

The moral of the story: Don't be subtle or expect him to know what to say. Smack him upside the head with a clue-by-four, and he'll be much more helpful.
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote