Old 01-30-2007, 12:25 AM   #1  
Bida Bida Bida

Height: 5'6''

Default Rmr

Ok - so I'm wondering for those of you that do consistantly lose weight if you calculate your negative caloric rate - and if the math really works?
Meaning today I calculated how much I ate and subtracted from it the avg caloric activity that I did (running) and got my number from which I subtracted my projected RMR (which is somewhere between 1590-1640 pending on whose calculation you use) and got -300 now at this rate I would be losing less than a pound a week.
Anyone do this math before? just wondering. (not to bore you!)

(and according to this method you would have to have a -1000 calorie intake to lose 2 pounds a week which seems almost impossible.)

Thanks!
B
bida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #2  

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that's what all the people in the Calorie Counters section of the website sort of rely on. I have done that sort of calculation before, but I'm always skeptic about how much I am actually burning in a day and so don't rely to heavily on it. Sorry if that doesn't help much.
sweet_talker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:00 AM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I do this calculation, basically, and it works fairly well, though it does require some trial and error to see what calorie levels work for you.

I try to get a 500 calorie food deficit (my daily needs are something like 1800) and another 500 cals worth of exercise to bring my total deficit to 1000...it is possible!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:54 PM   #4  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Not a chance...most online calculators say I need close to 3000 calories to maintain my weight. I know for a fact that if I consistently eat more than 2000 a day, I gain. I do count calories, but I don't try to calculate my deficit. I especially don't try to calculate how many calories I burn during exercise since there's really no way to know for sure. Heck, i could do the same WATP workout 2 days in a row and burn a drastically different amount of calories each time even though it's the same movements and the same amount of time. Also, as you get fitter, doing the same exercises no longer burns as many calories because it's not as challenging to your body, so though you may burn 100 calories doing something today, you might only burn 70 calories doing that same activity in exactly the same way next month.

I eat my target amount of calories (based on trial and error for my personal body, not based on what some calculator says I should eat), and I think of any calories burned during exercise as just an added bonus.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote