Old 01-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #1  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

Question Calories for the day question.

I eat 4-5 small meals a day, and I stay inbetween 1000-1300 calories. I am in no means starving myself, because I am very satisfied. I am drinking lots of water, eating right for me...and I don't get dizzy, feel sick, or any of that. Is it OK for me to be eating that little bit of calories a day? I swear, if I forced myself to eat more I probably would get sick. =/

Help?
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #2  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

This is best to discuss with a doctor / dietitian. Everyone's a bit different on what keeps them satisfied and how they metabolize (I personally would go bonkers if I dip anywhere below 1,300), but generally it's best not to go below 1,200 calories a day.

But even so, with only 1000 - 1300 calories it's hard to get all the variety of foods and nutrients that you need (yes, you could take a multivitamin, but everyone agrees that these nutrients are best absorbed from foods, not to mention there's a plethora of other nutrients in food that are helpful that we may just not know about yet.)
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #3  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

I've been taking a multi-vitamin for quite awhile now. I also drink V8 everyday. I am more of a veggie person than fruit. I can't really stand a lot of fruits. I would go to my DR but, I don't have the money..so..I can't right now. Thanks for your advice though! I appreciate it.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #4  

I know how you feel. I posted a thread a couple months ago on how to get MORE calories in a day healthily, as I was having a similar issue.... When I counted all my calories at the end of a day in which I felt I had eaten really well and healthily, I'd be surprised if I hit 1100 cals. Heck, some days I wouldn't break 900. But I'd be eating three meals and two snacks, mostly whole foods, etc.

Here's a link to that thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96917

As always, the ladies were in excellent form and came up with great ideas for upping calorie intake without feeling like you're eating more food.

When I ate under 1200 cals, I didn't feel sick or dizzy or anything like that either, but it didn't feel right either, you know? And I went crazy (binging) WAY more often than I do now that I make sure I get about 1500. If it's something that concerns you enough, try adding a little handful of nuts or something and see if you feel any different with a few more cals in there on a regular basis.
britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #5  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

Thanks for the thread link. I will check it out after I type this.

See, I am doing the same thing. One day I didn't even get 1000 calories, and I felt full and satisfied. But, I don't binge. I haven't done that since New Years Eve. The only night of the week that I allow myself to have a bit more is Sunday nights when we have the L word party when 11 or so of our friends are over in our tiny downstairs part of our townhouse. LOL. But, that's mostly veggies, nuts, crackers and fat free cheese...healthy stuff. Except for a cookie or two. lol.

I will try the adding nuts. How many times a day do you suggest I do that? Like, two? Try to get more calories in?

I have been doing great with keeping my carbs/protein/fat in a good percentage & evened out with one another.

I have been using the heck out of my FitDay program. LOL.

One thing I don't understand though is how to set how many calories I burn in a day. It says I burn 2,600 calories or more in a day. 0_o I know that's not true. lol. Or it may be, I have no idea.

Last edited by muzikjunky; 01-19-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-19-2007, 02:21 PM   #6  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikjunky View Post
One thing I don't understand though is how to set how many calories I burn in a day. It says I burn 2,600 calories or more in a day. 0_o I know that's not true. lol. Or it may be, I have no idea.

I have no clue as well..........! I am going to see a nutritionist in a month or so so maybe that will help me out.
Just a suggestion for you and others as well, maybe.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM   #7  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

If I had the money to go see a nutritionist I would. They have one at the YMCA, maybe I could check into that. Maybe I have one free visit with one. -crosses fingers- LOL!
Old 01-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 230/125/125

Height: 5'4

Yeah, I hate saying this, but you might be hurting yourself in the long run. Cause I find that I stay way below too, and feel wonderfully satisfied. If I "treat myself" or "binge" I find that the weight comes off quicker. Because your body, unfortunately, goes into starvation mode and holds onto your fat...sucks huh? I hope that helps....
Cheercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:34 PM   #9  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

So, what am I suppose to do..make myself bloated every meal to get my calories in and feel miserable the whole day? I am just going to ask a nutritionist or something. Maybe I can get some free advice, I dunno. Probably not, but worth a try....blah.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #10  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikjunky View Post
So, what am I suppose to do..make myself bloated every meal to get my calories in and feel miserable the whole day?

No, you could continue to eat less than probably is recommended. But, just be aware and warned that like Cheercoach says, you may permanently or semi-permanently screw up and slow down your metabolism. So, if you are okay ALWAYS for the rest of your life, eating less than you can/should then.......I suppose you could continue this way.
But, most of us try to use our metabolism to the max and try and keep our body functioning on non-starvation mode (in other words, normally) so that we can eat more AND lose more at the same time.

But, to up your caloric intake for purely health reasons you could probably just add a tablespoon or two of a high-protein, high-calorie shake supplement. My brother has these to help him put on weight and muscle mass. They have like 2,000cal in 1 shake. So... even just a table/teaspoon in a glass of milk or something to disguise the taste should up your calories a few hundred without you feeling full at all.
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 07:58 PM   #11  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

I drink a high protein shake for breakfast. But, it doesn't have that many calories. That would be too much for me. Fitday is saying I need 1,300 or so calories as a max. And I feel that that's enough for me. At the end of the day I feel satisfied, I do not binge during the day, and overall - I think I am doing great. I am not gaining anything. I am losing. Today was my weigh in, and I have lost 4 lbs. Also I can tell that my muscle definition is getting better. And since I started losing weight this is what I have been doing, and so far I have lost 11 lbs. I think I will just use britomart's idea. Eating a few handfuls of nuts a day, that will add extra calories, and also a few of the other ideas on the thread she provided.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:07 PM   #12  
here I go again...

The issue here is that they recommend not going below 1200 calories a day for a very real reason. When you aren't consuming enough calories, your brain gets desperate for the glucose it needs to function. It wants to conserve fat for bodily protection in case there really is famine, so it robs your muscles instead. Your body can convert the muscle tissue to glucose. Therefore you don't only reduce your metabolism by not "stoking the fire" with food, but you're losing the muscle mass that you need to gain to use up more calories per day, even at rest. You might end up smaller, but you won't be leaner.

Also, I'm curious, are you able to get in a good, tough workout at that calorie level? When I get below about 1600 calories a day, I don't want to workout, and all I want to do is sit on my butt or sleep.

Bottom line: feed your muscles, then use them!
illinichick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #13  

What do you eat on a typical day Muzikjunky? Maybe we can help.
CookieMonster416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I'm going to politely agree with everyone who says that 1000-1300 calories is too little. Your not going to be losing just fat, your body is going to start attacking muscle tissue as well.

I was in the SAME boat as you. I was eating 1200 calories a day because I thought I had to. Well just the past 2 weeks I upped my caloric intake to 1700 calories and I'm losing weight just the same as I was eating 1200 and I feel MUCH better. More energy!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #15  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

illinichick- This whole week I have worked out, no problem. The past three days I have done 3 hours of workouts. I've done Cardio, Fat Burn, Weight Training, played basketball, ran around with my dog, etc. I have the energy to work out. It's just I am having trouble getting in the calories I need for the day without bloating myself or feeling miserable and upset at myself afterwards. Like I said before I don't binge, haven't since New Years Eve, and I have been eating healthy except for on Sundays when I have a sweet or two - nothing too big. I am not losing muscle, I am actually gaining it. I can really tell in my legs, and my arms.

CookieMonster416- Let's see. Let me open my fitday.

Here's what I ate yesterday.

B - 1 cup Vanilla Silk Soy Milk + 1 scoop of Chocolate Protein Powder. 210 Cal/5 Fat/12 Carbs/29 Protein

S- 100 Calorie Pack - Cinnamon Thin Crisps. 100 Cal/2 Fat/19 Carbs/1 Protein

L- Lean Cuisine Roasted Garlic Chicken & 8floz of h20. 180 Cal/7 Fat/8 Carb/20 Protein

S- 6 Triscits, Lite String Cheese, and 8floz of H20. 180 Cal/7 Fat/20 Carbs/12 Protein

D- 8floz V8, 1 Tsp Mediterranean Blend Butter, Baby lima beans, 1 Tsp Hot Sauce, 2 pieces Natures Whole Wheat bread, Tilapia Fillet. 420 Calories/11 Fat/68 Carbs/38 Protein

S- 6 Triscits, Lite String Cheese, and 8floz of H20. 180 Cal/7 Fat/20 Carbs/12 Protein