Old 01-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/148.6/119

Height: 5'6"

Default Olivio from Lee Iacocca

Chrysler loved him and now I do, too!

I'm at my daughter's house and she has Olivio in her fridge... I haven't had butter or oils in 37 days but I think I've found something I could incorporate into my diet.

*toast* to Lee and Monica for turning me on to this

PS - Monica's middle name is Lee............ Hmmmmmmmm................
AnAbsoluteDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/140/128

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the suggestion anabsolutediva. I was using I Cant Believe Its Not Butter and I loved it, but then I noticed that, despite the label saying Zero Trans Fats, there is some hydrogenated oil on the ingredients, so I stopped using it. Tried Smartbalance (I think that's the name), which has no partially or otherwise hydrogenated oils, and its only 45 cal per tablespoon, but it does NOT MELT very easily! Not happy and will try Olivio next, though they also use a bit of hydrogenated oils, they claim its a low amount. What do you all think of using a spread that claims no trans fats but does have a bit of hydrogenated oils. I'm not clear on the difference. Thanks
Mami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #3  

I don't know what the difference is between trans fats and hydrogenated oils. I think if it's less than half gram then the FDA allows them to call it zero trans fats. My daughter tells me that it's virtually impossible to make something that's not butter harden like butter without the hydrogenation but they're working on it.

The reason I chose Olivio over SmartBalance was that Olivio has the Omega-3 fatty acids (500 mg per serving, I believe). It doesn't taste great (butter tastes great) but it's nice to have in the house. I entertain a lot and my friends will be happy to have a spread, although I still think olive oil infused with garlic is a MUCH better dipping choice.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #4  
-

S/C/G: 245/178/150?

Height: 5'10"

FYI Smart Balance does make a Smart Balance Omega Plus Buttery Spread with "plant sterols and Omega-3 from the Sea" as they say. I've had a hard time finding it though. I live in a big city and have found only one grocery chain that carries it. It's great! I tried their Lite version and found it to be watery and gross - didn't melt at all. This Omega-3 Plus one has a great taste (very much like butter) melts well and you can cook and bake with it.

Here's their link: http://www.smartbalance.com/product.html

Here's the nutrition info:
Serving Size 1 TBSP
Calories 80
Calories from Fat 80
Total Fat 9g
Saturated Fat 2.5g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5g
Monounsaturated Fat 3.5g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 90 mg
Total Carbohydrate 0g
Protein 0g

_____
Beth
CinnamonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:10 PM   #5  

Thanks for the info, Beth. I'll see if I can find it here.

:-)
Old 01-19-2007, 10:53 PM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAbsoluteDiva View Post
I entertain a lot and my friends will be happy to have a spread, although I still think olive oil infused with garlic is a MUCH better dipping choice.
Another great choice to keep around the house to use as a spread is cream cheese. I use non-fat cream cheese, which has only 15 calories per tbsp, on bread, English muffins, even potatoes--really on anything I would have spread butter on before. I mix a little splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla with it and use it as a dip for apples. Now if only I could cook with it...

If you want a little more flavor and can stand a little more fat, whipped cream cheese is also a good choice at only 35 calories per tbsp.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote