Old 01-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #1  
Bikini Season :)

Thumbs down The Bloat!

gah!

i feel GROSS!!

everytime i eat unless its fruit, yogurt, small amounts of cereal... -- i get bloated! my stomach gets distended and tender, im nauseated...

its so gross!!

does anyone else experience this???
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/125/125

Height: 5'4

Only recently...and it is vicious...it's actually whenever I eat refined carbs...like my body gets pissed off and says "here then, you can have a distended belly for the rest of the day...." And of course, I have NO solutions...
Cheercoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 PM   #3  
Recovering Couch Potato

S/C/G: 168/139/135-ish

Height: 5'6"

That happens to me too, whenever I have refined carbs, a lot of sodium, or beer--all the more reason to avoid all of them! Take a good look at your diet and see how much processed food you're eating, even if it's "diet" food--cutting most of it out should help (the grocery store perimeter rule really worked for me).
Jasmine419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:48 PM   #4  

perimeter rule??

and yes, its been a lot of processed foods recently - completely off plan and doing PMS and depression eating.. blah!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:33 PM   #5  
Co-Mod

S/C/G: 272/129/127

I start off the day with a flat tummy and by nightime it looks like I am 5mos preggers! Why oh why???!!! I HATE it!
shrinkingchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #6  
Recovering Couch Potato

S/C/G: 168/139/135-ish

Height: 5'6"

perimeter rule = shop primarily along the perimeter of the grocery store, because that's where all the fresh foods (produce, whole-grain bread, low-fat dairy, etc.) are .

If you have PMS bloating going on, diurex works like a charm. Just make sure you're taking it correctly and for only a short time so you don't get dehydrated.
Jasmine419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #7  
Ex-fast food junkie

S/C/G: 168/167/140

Height: 5'6

Ok this might sound odd, but I take Gas-X sometimes when I'm like that...not because I actually have gas or anything I think it helps with he pressure/bloaty feeling. I think certain foods I eat, especially fruits, make me feel more bloated. Maybe it's the high water content in many of them?
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #8  
Megan

S/C/G: size 14/ pudgy size 10/Size 8

Height: 5'5"

It's going to sound counterintuitive, but I find if I up my water intake the bloat goes away. I puff like a fish if I eat too much salt, I've always had the problem and probably always will.

Case in point, 2 crazy nights of eating (yes eating) my JR year of college. Thursday night was good old deep fried southern food. It was good but of course I felt it Friday morning. So what do I do Friday night, but go out for Asian stir-fry for dinner. Here I'm being so good sticking with veggies, veggies, and more veggies. Of course said veggies are loaded with soy sauce! Saturday morning I get up and try to squeeze my then 200 pound fat behind into my already tight size 18W jeans! Needless to say the I couldn't get the jeans up past my knees So I reached for the giant 50 oz bottle of water that was sitting in the dorm fridge determined not quench the parchness in my throat from a 2 day salt binge!
Sunday my fat *** fit back into those jeans!

Now of course, I'm just happy I'm no where near a size 18 anymore!
marzbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Yup, it happens to me too! I can REALLY tell becuase my fingers get gross and bloated and look like sausage links! YUUCK!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #10  
I £øve ®ºcK MüZïk

S/C/G: 262/198/160

Height: 5'7"

i am lucky in that area. I usually don't bloat or get cramps.

Sorry though.
muzikjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:05 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 179/179/140

Height: 5'3"

oh nice, i was always worried that this only happened to me. It always happens when i eat breads, refined sugars, carbs. its as if i look 5mos pregnant. its uncomfortable too!! i have learned not to touch those things when going out, but i always "forget" and eat it and complain later when i am bloated. it sucks but water definitely helps in the deflating process.
cotinara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:20 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Unless you're eating large portions you shouldn't be bloating like that every time you eat. There are a bunch of things that might be causing it, like IBS or a food allergy. It can also be a symptom of Celiac's Disease (gluten intolerance). It's pretty common in the UK and people are being diagnosed with it more and more here in the US. Your body basically can't process the glutens in foods and they don't digest like they normally would, which causes malabsorbtion of foods, bloating and a whole slew of side effects.

I'd look into it with your doctor just in case.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:09 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzbe View Post
It's going to sound counterintuitive, but I find if I up my water intake the bloat goes away. .....

actually that medically worked.

if someone's sodium levels are high we give them regular water because it actually lowers your sodium levels. ie - it would also help decrease water weight.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #14  

Hey all,

I went to a Gastroenterologist with basically the same symptoms that KateRN described and my dr said it was most likely IBS or Celiac, in my case, most likely IBS. I haven't had the time due to my crazy work schedule lately to follow up on it, but taking probiotics definitely helps... try Culturelle it helps with the bloating

Hope that helped!
DaisyJ is offline   Reply With Quote