Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 294/230/140

Height: 5'4

Wink Hi new girl here with ? about lap band

I'm concidering lap band i have a seminar on tuesday i'm gonna try to get it financed and would like to know how much can i expect to pay and is lap band better than the bypass procedure? Thanks for your help.

dannybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi Dannybaby and

You will know whats right for you when you walk out of that seminar (well you should know LOL) you will mostlikely learn about each procedure.

Lapband was what I chose and all for personal reasons. The procedure is easier/recovery is easier and its reversible plus many more reasons.

The price really depends where you go and your doctor. My insurance paid for mine and the hospital stay for my band (1 day) was $33,000.00 that does not include the pre op doctors and my surgeon. I'm pretty sure if you go to a weight loss clinic it would be cheaper.

Again, welcome and let us know when you've done the seminar and your thoughts.

HUGS !!! GOOD LUCK !!!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 277/221/150

Hey Dannybaby! The information you get at the seminar will help you decide what is best for you. Like Leenie said you will definietley have a better idea when you go to your seminar. I decided the lap band was best for me as well. Because of my age (20) and I didnt have any major health issue but I wanted to put a stop to my pattern before I did.You will be so excited when you leave the meeting I know I was ready to get my band the next day! But do your research even when you leave there is so much to consider. Good Luck to you!
Lauderdalechick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:45 PM   #4  

I considered the Lap Band until I did my research.

In the end, the lapband has the lowest sucess rate,and the highest rate of eating complications (the throw ups). It also has the high maintenance thingy - fills and unfills, then yu have to worry about slippage or erosion but mostly ... I cannot imagine that I could wear a tight band around my stomach for the rest of my life. At some point you would have to have yet another surgery to remove it ... and pop ... you'll get fat again.

See www.obesityhelp.com and read the posts on the lapband, all the other wls and the 'revision' surgeries.

I talked to 3 doctors ... all indicated they have to do a lot of revision surgery from lap band to another wls. The Doctor I chose was one of the best in Europe with over 7000 RNY procedures and only losing 2 ppl.

I decided on the RNY method which does have a slightly higher complication rate but has a MUCH higher sucess rate. It has the restriction as well as the 30% malabsorption rate so you will DEFINITELY lose the weight.

It does bar you from eating more than 15grams of suger per portion and high fat foods - which the lap band does not - so you will have to struggle NOT to eat sweets abd defeat yourself on the lap band.

Nothing is forever though and after a year or two you CAN eat whatever you want - though you won't want to OVEREAT.

The RNY is the cutting type but ... it is completely reversable - of this I am sure.

I am extremely pleased with my choice - hope this info. helps someone else out.
becky8933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

hey there, danny - like these ladies said, the seminar will help answer LOTS of questions. each procedure has its pros and cons - but bottom line, neither is magic. ya still gotta figure out how to live with it, and how to live without eating your emotions. it's not easy! we're ALL works in progress.

and, while i agree that the lapband has lower overall weight loss results, when you look at the 'whys,' it's often because people don't manage their eating and exercise. notice i said OFTEN - not ALWAYS.

ya gotta figure out how you want to live.

so, now that you've opened the door, you KNOW that you have to tell us what happened and what you thought and all that other stuff. we'll be waiting!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote