Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:39 PM   #1  
jmo
jmo

S/C/G: 201/201/151

Height: 5' 7"

Default hypothyroid and on Armour thyroid

I have finally found a doc that will perscribe Armour Thyroid. I am taking 30 mg; I don't know how many grains that is. I am waiting to feel better and loose some weight. Instead I feel lousy and I am gaining weight. I was hoping for some reduction in the horrible symptoms like sugar cravings etc. But I have not experienced the amazing improvements that many have with the natural thyroid meds. Can anyone suggest a diet that would work.
jmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #2  

Hi there! Sometimes it just takes time and adjustments to the meds to see improvements. Perhaps you need a higher dose? As for diet, I highly recommend Sugarbusters. It works better for me than anything else I have tried. I am hypothyroid too. It helps curb the sugar cravings, which by the way, I don't think are related to thyroid issues. You may have to fight like a tiger to get off sugar, but it is good if you do. For some, it is just about an addiction! I really struggle to lose anything, so be prepared to take it slow. Good luck!
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:04 PM   #3  

The weight will most likely not come off just because you get the right dose. I do South Beach/WW Core. You need to avoid all the white foods (flour, sugar, salt, rice, etc.) and limit soy and raw vegetables in the cabbage family (cabbage, broccoli, etc.). They are okay when cooked. These prevent the thyroid from working properly and inhibit absorption of your medication.

Sugar cravings have nothing to do with your thyroid - we teach our body to crave sugar and you have to go through a withdrawl to get off it. You'll feel a whole lot better when you do.

Weight loss will be slow. You need to eat 5-6 mini meals to keep your thyroid working properly and also exercise a minimum of 30 minutes a day.

You should have blood work redone in 6 weeks to be sure the dosage is correct for you.

It took 2 years for me to get to the right dosage (200 mcg Levoxyl) and really feel good.

We're here to help you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 AM   #4  

30 mg is nothing, no wonder you feel crappy. Great place to get some info is on Low Carb Friends Health board. There's a general thyroid thread started by a thyroid patient avocate.
pnkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #5  
Atkins Chick

S/C/G: highest234/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2 1/2" the 1/2 matters!

I craved sugar more on Armour thyroid than on Synthyroid. I just never could get to feeling good on Armour. It took four years for me to switch to Synthyroid and I like it better.
problysewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:45 AM   #6  

I guess everyone is different. I switched from synthroid to Armour and have never felt better. I take 90 grains/day. In terms of diet, I do South Beach but generally have just stopped eating sugar, white bread, white rice, white flour; only eat whole grains, lots of veggies, lean proteins (fish, chicken, etc.), and a little fruit. I hope you find what works for you.
ChadsMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey jmo,

30 mgs is 1/2 grain and as pnkfloyd mentions...."it's nothing"....30 mgs is a very low dosage.

Most people find they need between 3 to 5 grains (180 mgs to 300 mgs) thru out the day to treat their hypo symptoms.

I take 5 grains daily. So does my son. My mom takes 3 grains.

I did not start losing ANY weight at all until I got up to 3 grains, and it took 5 grains daily to treat the rest of my hypo symptoms like hair loss, etc.

You might want to check out the info at
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com

as the info compiled there may be of great help to you.
Let me know if I can help with any of it.
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 245/207/150

Height: 5'8.5"

I just started taking Armour. I too was expecting great changes - easier to lose weight. All that happened is that my energy got better. Now if I want to exercise I can. Too bad I hate it. The diet mentioned here I have heard of. I switched to mostly raw to help combat Diabetes but still have a prob with the craving the white stuff. I am addicted. It may only be emotional but geez it is strong.
Learning2LuvMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #9  

many doctors don't do the conversion properly when they adjust your meds from T4 only drugs to combo T3/T4. I had a good endocrinologist and when we fooled around with my meds last year - long story - and I had to go back on the Armour - it took her months to keep upping my dose to get me to where I needed to be.

After years of being on Synthroid and feeling lousy and being told my levels were okay - I found out about Armour, found a doctor to switch me and I was able to drop the weight I had gained that wouldn't budge. It was still a battle but at least it became manageable. I had also lost my sex drive on Synthroid and found it again on Armour. It can take a long time to find the right drug or combo of drugs and the right meds. Some people do better on T3/4 meds and some do better on T4 - some do better on a T4 and adding a T3 drug like Cytomel.

One important thing is to request copies of your blood tests and learn how to read them. Many doctors under treat hypothyroidism and many have ridiculous views about what a proper TSH level is. I have a problem the last year and I'm gaining weight and my appetite has been out of control. I'm inbetween endocrinologists right now and went to my regular gastro doctor for a checkup. My usual TSH is 2.0 - this recent reading was 3.8 almost double my usual level. I asked him to increase my dose of Armour and he told me no, there's no reason to because I'm within range. I can't tell you how shocked I was and disappointed in him.

They lowered the TSH level for what is considered Hypothyroid about 2 yrs ago. Some doctors are still using the old levels and are undertreating women. For years, women would complain to their doctors of all symtoms of thyroid disease and because their TSH was 5.0 they were told they were within range and didn't need medication. Now they have lowered the range and all those women are not so crazy. Sigh. A person without Thyroid disesase usually has a TSH of between .5 and .8 Does it make sense that 5.0 would be normal???

I recommend getting books by Mary Shoman (sp) and visiting her site on About.com. She is the most knowledgeable expert out there on thyroid disease and her site on About.com has more information than you could ever want to know. They also have a forum there.
valentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 317/305/160

Height: 5'7"

I've been on Armour (30mg) for just about two weeks. On the 8th day that I was on it, I woke up and suddenly realized that I didn't just feel good...I felt GREAT! If you had asked me before, I wouldn't have said that I was depressed, because I really didn't feel sad - but after the armour kicked in, I realized that I had been depressed. I feel so much better. I have energy. I'm listening to music again...the colors seem brighter somehow.

As an added bonus, my terrible terrible plantar fasciitis for which i have taken anywhere from 4-16 advils a day is suddenly 99.5% gone!!! I haven't taken an advil in almost two weeks - the first time in 11 years that I have gone that long!! It is really kind of shocking to me.

I go back in a few weeks for tests to see if the doc needs to adjust the dosage, but so far, so good!!
Lyndyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #11  

you guys are so lucky!! there are only 2 (yes 2) brands in Canada! After reading some posts in here I told my dr I wanted back on the other brand, he switched me when we moved here, 8 years and 40 pounds!! It took a while but I have been switched, lost 30 pounds and started a fight between my thyroid guy and his wife my GP! She says my TSH is too low and I'm over medicated. He says my TSH is in normal on the low side but my free T4's are right dab in the middle of normal. Seeing as I feel better and am loosing weight I'm sticking with him!
housewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #12  

I take Synthroid... 100 micrograms in the morning at least 1/2 hour before I eat anything. It has helped. I haven't experimented yet with nutritional changes to help with hypothyroidism specifically... but the medicine has eased a lot of the symptoms and my blood tests have indicated that my thyroid is becoming more regular.
ordinarysocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #13  
Gettin Closer!!

S/C/G: See Signature

Height: Tall enough for my feet to reach the ground

I have been on synthroid for years and it keeps having to be adjusted...but I want to try Armour....my dr is sooooo reluctant to let me. But I think the next time I go in I am going to beg him to at least let me try it for 6 or so months, then I will at least know if it helps more than the synthroid. I mean I am on .175/day synthroid plus 12.5 cytomel and it isnt helping much i have to still take a 20mg dose of ritalin so I dont fall asleep. I dont like the idea of taking ritalin to help me stay up during the day...grrrrr but i love my dr.
StillTryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:05 AM   #14  

What you are eating can cause sugar cravings as well - artificial sweeteners even do this. You aren't taking a miracle pill so you will have to exercise and eat right to lose weight and get energy and it will also help with other symptoms. I take 250 mg Synthroid once a day, one hour before eating, and follow the Curves Higher Protein Plan (very much like South Beach). It definitely helps to cut back on simple carbs and eat protein with EVERY meal and snack. Good luck to all of you.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

hey StillTryin - I think that is an excellent idea to see if you can talk your doc into letting you do a trial on Armour for 6 months. sometimes you can talk them into that way.

I would really like to encourage you to check out the info at www.stopthethyroidmadness.com there is a section on mental illness and thyroid (which includes ADHD). A lot of people with ADHD have found that with the proper thyroid treatment (which is the correct med for you as well as the correct dosage) they find that they no longer need the psych meds.

There is also a short thread with some good articles to read on the forums there called "ADHD Hyperactivity and Thyroid" at:

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com...pic.php?t=2851

My mother was on synthroid for years and the doc would adjust it every 6 months according to her TSH. She was a wreck! Now for the past several years she has a doc that was willing to switch her to Armour and treat her symptoms rather than a lab result. She is soooooo much better!

Hey Susan - it's good to see ya. I want you to know that I gave up caff free diet coke over 3 weeks ago and it has made a huge difference in my appetite. Just as you said, the artifical sweetner in it was apparently causing me to crave sugar. I can definitely tell the difference!

oh, for the record, the reason I gave it up is bec I'm thinking I was addicted to the stuff. I was drinking too much of it every day and not getting in my water. I'm feeling better now ;-)

I hope everyone is feeling well :-)

hugs,
Cathy

Last edited by cathyxxx; 07-12-2007 at 11:41 AM.
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote