Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #1  

Default Recipes anyone?

Hey guys, I thought it might be fun to share some recipes. Anyone interested? I know there is a section on the site but I don't really go anyplace but the alternachicks section right now. Too busy Just post tried & true's that you love.

I almost started posting under the low carb thread but I figure I can always use yummy recipes that are not low carb on weekends.

If someone posts something that is specifically low carb it would be nice if you said so. I guess ditto if it is low cal or something.

Anyways, here is one I am making for supper tonight. It's super easy & everyone always loves it. I am a huge fan of crockpot cooking.

Stuff you Need:
A crockpot
tin foil
beef, anything except burger will do (pot roast is the standard but I'm too broke so right now I'm using two slabs of mock chuck steak tossed in the same packet.
a package of dry onion soup mix (the cheap kind works just fine)
a can (or 2 if you have a LOT of meat & a big crockpot) of condensed cream of mushroom soup

Optional Stuff:
dry gravy mix in the packet
vegetables of your own choosing (onions & shrooms are always great)

How To:
You take the beef and lay it on a large piece of aluminum foil. In a small bowl, combine the cream of mushroom soup (do NOT add milk, just the condensed soup) with the dry packet of onion soup mix. pour the mixture all over the meat making sure to get some under it too. Then you wrap the meat up in the foil like an xmas package. Then pull out another large piece of foil & wrap that over the already wrapped package. pour a couple cups of water in your crockpot & drop the package into it.

If your crockpot is large enough you can then drop some veggies into the open, water filles space around the package.

Cook on low for however long you think the meat should cook. This is a very forgiving recipe if you "overcook" the meat because you are actually steaming it, the foil seals in juices. When you open the packet (carefully because the steam is hot as hades) the meat just falls apart.

When it is done I usually take the meat out & just break it up into pieces with a fork. You can leave it together but I find its so tender you have to be careful if that is how you want to serve it. I usually toss in a packet of gravy mix to thicken it up to a stewlike consistency but you don't have to.

yummm...

ps...the first time I heard of this recipe I was told that I shoudl put the meat in a water filled pot in the oven. I never tried it, I immediately adapted it to the crockpot.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:30 PM   #2  

Ok, I don't think anyone here is doing the atkins-ish thing but I feel like posting whenever anything comes out really yummy soo....here is tonights venture. Cover some pork chops in salt & pepper, cook in olive oil & then toss them in the oven with some tin foil on low to keep warm. Then put a chopped onion into the frying pan with a little more oil...plus some chicken stock to scrape up the yummy browned bits of pork. toss in a tablespoon or so of garlic. Cook the onions until they are carmelized nicely. Anytime they get too dry pour in a smidgeon of chicken stock again. When they about halfway done toss in some sliced mushrooms, however many you like. After they grill for a few minutes pour in about a half cup of dry red wine. Let that cook down to a nice bubbly consistency then dump in a few blobs of sour cream. I don't measure, I just use a big ladel. Stir until the sour cream is mixed in well & warmed up. Pour over the pork chops immediately & serve. Some fresh dill on top of a tiny dollop of sour cream in the middle of the dish looks pretty too. This sauce works great with beef or chicken too.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 PM   #3  
Pending Email Confirmation

That sounds really delish! I have a not-so-diety recipe that calls for a sour cream gravy, and the first time i ate it i was like - hrm that's weird, but good... and now it's my fave. It's basically the same principle as yours, you butter and bread chicken breasts and put them in a pan w/ onions and bake it til the chicken is cooked, then you use all those yummies at the bottom of the pan and the onions and toss in some sour cream and milk to make the gravy. so good with rice. Love that recipe, but like i said, with the breadding and all it's less than diet friendly. Maybe i could find a way to alter it.

Lately we've been cooking a lot of salmon and a lot of tuna steaks. So tasty! I found a great recipe for a marinade for both, and the great thing is it was all stuff i already had, so so easy! I can not for the life of me find in online right now. I'll post it when I get home from work. But I found it on www.recipezaar.com and they have some great recipes.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #4  

Here is what I made up for dinner tonight because I didn't want to go to the store. It turned out really good, unlike most of my kitchen adventures. I figure it to be about 8 points if you're doing WW. It's not low-carb, though, because of the rice, and the recipe assumes ownership of a rice cooker with a steamer basket, because I totally forget how to cook without one.

Turkey Curry with Veggie Rice

For the turkey:
1 package of turkey breast tenderloins
1 container fat free vanilla yogurt
An assortment of spices, mostly curry but also cardamom, ground ginger, cayanne pepper, paprika, stuff like that.

Mix the spices in with the yogurt. Cut the turkey breasts into medallions. Toss with the yogurt mixture and put in the fridge to marinate for about an hour.

Meanwhile...
Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the rice cooker.
Add:
1 med. chopped onion
~ 3 tbsp diced ginger root
~ 1 tbsp garlic
Cook until the onions get translucent.
Add amounts of the same spices you added to the yogurt, adjusting for taste.
Add brown rice (however much you are going to cook). Stir to coat, then add the appropriate amount of chicken broth. Cover and ignore for 15 minutes.

15 minutes later...
Preheat oven to 350. Line a baking pan with alumium foil and spray with pan spray. Spread marinated turkey pieces out, cover with another piece of aluminum foil, and put in the oven for 30 minutes.

15 minutes later...
Add once cup each frozen corn, peas, green beans, and okra (or whatever suits your fancy) to the rice cooker steamer basket and put on top of the rice.

15 mintues later...
Everything should be done at about the same time. Take the turkey out after 30 minutes. Mix the rice and the steamed veggies. Top with the turkey. I served this with sliced cucumbers because we had a couple that were going to go bad if we didn't eat them quickly.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:33 AM   #5  
Pending Email Confirmation

Italian style grilled tuna or salmon steaks
from www.cooks.com

4 tuna or salmon steaks
1/4 c. olive oil
2 tsp. basil
3 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. garlic, minced
2 tsp. salt, pepper, and thyme

Combine olive oil, basil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme. Marinate 4 steaks 30 minutes; grill and baste 5 minutes or until steaks flake easily.

So I liked, it's not recipezaar.com but that site is still really good. I never grill my fish because I have no grill. I throw it in a tin foil packet and bake it with the marinade still on it.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:53 PM   #6  

Oh yum....those sound great! I really want to try the tuna steak recipe. And I love anything with lots of curry & chili pepper. I just made a great curried chicken in the crockpot last week. I love crockpot cooking when I am in school. BTW, yoghurt & sour cream seem to be some of the most adaptable things I've run across. You can add either one of them to almost any sort of dripping from meat right before you serve it to bump up the creamy yummy factor.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #7  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I use yogurt in a ton of different sauces and dressings, as well as baked goods. It's so wonderful at making things moist and tasty w/o adding lots of fat I will try to remember to post my absolute favorite banana bread recipe later. It's from the "Conscious Cuisine" cookbook and uses non fat yogurt, applesauce and turbinado sugar. It's soooooooo yummy, has no fake anything in it and has only 110 calories a slice.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:42 AM   #8  

That sounds sinfully yummy. Maybe I can make it after I lose enough weight to cheat heavily! I adore bannana bread. One thing I mix in with many of the low carb cake mixes & brownie mixes that really helps the texture, moistness & taste without adding many carbs is cream cheese. Speaking of cream cheese I am baking a low carb ricotta & sour cream cheese cake as we speak. Yumm....taking it to a cookout.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnlizbeth
I am baking a low carb ricotta & sour cream cheese cake as we speak. Yumm....taking it to a cookout.
Dont keep that recipe to yourself, now :0)

lilith
Old 09-03-2005, 04:59 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnlizbeth
I just made a great curried chicken in the crockpot last week.
Ditto this one! I have a crock pot that I haven't used in awhile and this sounds like a good reason to dig it out of the cabinet.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:20 PM   #11  

Ok guys, I will post both of those recipes tomorrow! I am just checking in quickly & then my bf & I have a pile of movies to watch. The recipes are pretty long but I'll get them on tomorrow. Have a great night!
Old 09-03-2005, 06:46 PM   #12  

ok, nate just decided that he is going to take a shower so i guess i have time to type out at least one recipe. so here goes:

Low Carb Cheesecake:
24 oz of cream cheese (softened)
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 & 1/2 cups of splenda
1/3 cup cream or half & half (half & half has one carb more per serving than heavy whipping cream but its SO much cheaper that I can't bother buying the whipping cream)
1 tablespoon no sugar added vanilla extract (don't be fooled when the grocery store extract says PURE...check the back as most have corn syrup in them. I had to go to a health food store for the vanilla & it was expensive but a little goes a long way)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 eggs
3 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 275. Grease your pie pan. The recipe I have calls for a springform pan but I don't have one. So I use a 9 inch glass pie dish...then I pour all the extra (which is a lot) of mix into several small baking dishes that I have for single servings. anyways. In a shallow roasting pan, big enough to hold your pie/cheesecake pans, pour enough water to go halfway up the sides of your cheescake dish. Put it in the oven to heat up.

Then, in a large bowl, beat the softened cream cheese, ricotta, sour cream, & splenda on low for about a minute or until well blended.

In a seperate bowl, mix up the half & half, vanilla, lemon juice, eggs & egg yolks until blended.

Gradually pour the egg mixture into the cheese. Do not over whip.

Pour batter into the pie pans & place in the heated water bath. Bake for approximately an hour & a half. The cheese cake should not be too brown. You will know its done when the sides of the cheese cake pull away from the edges of the pan. Turn the oven off & open the door a bit for a few minutes to let out a little of the heat, but not too much. Then close the door & leave the cheese cake in there for three hours. This keeps it fluffy for some reason. Take the cheese cake out & let it cool to room temp to prevent condensation (which makes it nasty) in the fridge. Then cover with plastic wrap or whatever & stick it in the fridge. It should cool in there for a couple hours before you serve it. Its very nice with cool whip (also low carb) and blueberries. Go easy on the berries as they are not low carb. ok, my turn for a shower. Will be back with curry tomorrow. Happy baking.
ps...this is the most expensive low carb dish i have ever made thanks to the splenda & sugar free vanilla extract. Definitly a special occasion item.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:44 PM   #13  
Work in Progress

Dawnlizbeth...I think that I saw this on Low Carb and Lovin it....it looked wonderful, is that where you go it?

Last edited by Rowan Bailey; 09-05-2005 at 12:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:29 AM   #14  
LivingDeadGirl

S/C/G: 325/250/165

Height: 5'7"

sounds so good
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I got one!!! I mixed it up but haven't named it.

Ingredients
4 oz Lean ground turkey 120 Cals 8g Fat, 0g Carb, 15G Pro
2/3 cup Kroger frozen fiesta style mixed veggies 35 Cals, 0g Fat, 13G Carb, 2g Prot
2 Tbsp Salsa 10 Cals, 0 Fat, 2G Carbs, 0G Pro
1.5 Tbsp FF Sour cream 15 Cals, 0 Fat, 2G Carb, 1G Pro
1/4 cup FF shredded cheddar, 45 Cals, 0 Fat, 2G Carb, 9G Pro
Taco seasoning

Brown grown turkey, drain, mix in Taco seasoning. Steam veggies. Mix veggies, meat and toppings together. Eat.

Total dish= 225 cals, 8G Fat, 19G Carb, 27G Protein

YUM!

Tiki.
Closed Thread