Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #1  
Pending Email Confirmation

Talking 2004 Accomplishments

I know we are starting our new year Missions and some new Challenges (which I do plan on joining in on this time!) but I always find it a nice task to look back at the year you are finishing and give yourself a hand on what you accomplished in the year.
Here are mine...

I got myself a new job, and I have reduced my stress levels from a 9 to a 4 at least. It has improved my phycial and mental health and my relationship with my husband (which by the way is also a great accomplishment in my mind).

I joined the gym and have been going at least once a week. It's not much, but it is a start, and I am proud of myself.

We got a cat, which totally changed the dynamics in our home, and I think that it was a change for the better. Sounds like a silly thing, I'm sure but I never had a pet growing up and my husband didn't either. So it was a new and fun experience and the feeling of pride for rescuing a kitty that needed us as opposed to buying a kitten, was worth it.

Well, it's not much, but it's all I could come up with for now. I look forward to hearing other people's accomplishments, might give me some ideas that I hadn't thought of.

Take care guys, and happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Great idea for a thread, Lizzi!

Let's see...

I've reduced my therapy to once every two weeks instead of weekly. (I THINK that's an accomplishment...)
I finally picked up my contacts after damaging my eyes a few years ago, and am able to wear them for a few hours a day. Which totally boosts my self-confidence. (I hate me in glasses)

Funny how you can think of all the BAD things ... I'll have to come back and add to this later...
Old 12-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #3  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Accomplishments:

Lost some weight.

I managed to reduce my stress and change the way I react to things going on around me.

I feel a lot more at peace these days.

I managed to reduce my caffeine intake from 3 cups a day to one cup per day.

I quit my chip habit!

I bought myself a drum -something I have wanted to do for some time and I will be taking lessons in the new year
Old 12-29-2004, 10:52 AM   #4  
Pending Email Confirmation

ellis - i had to work on mine, you know. ****, i put getting a cat on the list. *LOL* it's a tough task, that's why I thought it would be fun. And having been a girl in therapy, you are right to consider that a great accomplish. Congratulations!

Mauv - any tips on how how change the way you react to reduce stress? I'm a great believer that you create the world for yourself and all of your reality is based on how you percieve things. So if you are able to filter out the bad, or somehow spin it to be good for yourself, you'll live a happier life. But that doesn't mean I'm any good at doing it. *LOL*
Old 12-29-2004, 01:09 PM   #5  

Basically my philosophies go like so...

1. In the grand scheme of things is this(whatever is going on at the moment) really that big a deal?

2. When a crisis hits or the pressure is on what is the worst thing that could happen? Answer: The worst thing that could happen is that I am dead - I'm not dead so everything will be alright.

3. Try to treat people the way you wish to be treated.

4. No matter how bad you think you have it there is always somebody out there in the world who would gladly trade places with you.

5. If you constantly complain, whine about things beyond your control, or have a negative attitude then only negative things will come your way so if you turn your attitude around then things will get better.

My two mantras are = "It will get done" and "It will all come together"

I am not a Pollyanna miss Susie Sunshine type but this seems to have worked for me over the past year. Everything doesn't fix itself overnight but having a better attitude and perspective on things certainly has helped.

I have also developed a habit of at least once or twice a day completely stopping whatever it is I am doing and taking a good look at my surroundings - sort of a "be in the moment" type thing. At home I do it by turning off the t.v, stereo etc. and just enjoying the silence for a bit. Just taking that step back and a deep breath can be calming.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:20 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Mauvais, I am SO with you re: attitude. Those are my philosophies, too.

Over the past couple of years I've gradually rid myself of "friends" who did nothing but whinge and complain about their lives. Their attitude really dragged me down, and I couldn't do anything to raise up those people. They just seemed to enjoy the *****ing.
I'm happy to help others, but if they're not willing to make a change in their lives and look for the positive, then I can't continue the relationship. ****, I'm in therapy and on meds for depression! Give me a break!

Okay, I've just remember something else I'm happy about.
I've become even more involved as an activist this year. I sort of "diddled" with it for years, but I've upped my input this past year, and I feel good about that.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:57 PM   #7  
Cat Lover

Default me too!

Hi, sorry I haven't posted in awhile. Happy New Year to all!

I accomplished buying a house in 2004! I will close on it in the next two weeks. It is quite an accomplishment and I am very excited. My health is a goal for 2005. I want to get healthy and avoid diabetes II which my father, grandmother, and great grandmother all had. So my goal is good health and more posts in 2005.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sandi
Old 12-31-2004, 08:35 PM   #8  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HI ALL!! Welcome back Luckycat!!!

2004 was a year of extremes for me. Some difficult times and some WONDERFUL times! My accomplishment is that I enjoyed the good times and didn't let the tough times bring me TOO far down. Hasn't always been that way!

Mauvais-I've been working towards a more positive outlook myself. With some success thanks to drugs, therapy and hard work!!!

Ellis-YUP!! You try to help, or at least be sympathetic; but you don't allow yourself to be dragged under as well. As a fellow recovering depressive I couldn't agree more. Don't EVER want to go back where I used to be!!! (shudder)
Old 01-02-2005, 12:31 PM   #9  

Congratulations to everyone for their accomplishments Let's get some more done this year!

Welcome back Ilovemyluckycat! and congratulations on the new house!

That is also a thing I have accomplished in 2004 - I said I would be in my new home by Christmas and managed to buy my house and be moved in by November 1st
Old 01-02-2005, 12:32 PM   #10  
a brave new me...

Exclamation Amazing!

Hi chickies... well the most incredible thing happened. My goal was to lost 12 1/2 pounds between November 15 and January 1, 2005, which is about 7 weeks. That would take me from 182.5 to 170. With a couple of weeks to go I had about 4 pounds to lose yet and I really didn't know if I would be able to do it with all of the Christmas celebrations in there. But on December 31, I stepped on the scale and there it was... 170. I couldn't believe it. I stepped off the scale and weighed myself about ten more times. The last time I stepped off the scale I started crying. I realized that I have, never, ever in all my years of trying to lose weight, never have I met a weight loss goal that I set for myself. It was really a pivotal moment for me, and I am now feeling so very confident and excited about the weeks to come. It feels wonderful to know that instead of starting out the year having gained weight over the holidays, I am starting out at 170 as well as having four weeks of exercising behind me. And its been intense exercising, hitting the gym 4 to 5 times a week and doing 45-60 mins of cardio at least 3 times along with weight training. I am really proud of myself, which is something I have rarely ever felt in relation to my health and body. So I am ready for the new year challenge ahead and ready to set a new goal!
Old 01-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #11  

Way to go Sojo!!!!!
Closed Thread