Closed Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 08:43 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You have to be kidding me.......my mom has Dorothy and always gets outbid on the others...I want to get her the rest-I was looking at Glinda-and she goes from $80 on up...speaking of Munchkins...My 2 year old son is going as a Lollipop Guild Munchkin for Halloween! I am even letting his hair grow shaggy so it is long enough to gel into the funny hairdo. (I am a costume maker as a profession) He is SOOOO going to kill me when he is a teenager-I think this just may be worse than naked baby pictures.
Aphil
Old 09-30-2003, 02:01 PM   #17  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

.....but then he'll love it again when he is an adult, so GO FOR IT!!!!
Old 09-30-2003, 11:24 PM   #18  
WW Moderator

Oh, Cody was going to be a Lollipop guy one year! It was Suzanne's idea. I can't remember why that fell through.

Last year he was an excellent PeeWee Herman and he really excited everybody in the neighborhood. I think they find it refreshing to have fun characters come to the door. Cody got lots of 'extra' candy, and the fun of waiting on people's porches while they got their friends to see. It was nice to see people get into his outfit. The year before he was Mario, and that also brought a lot of smiles. He wants to be a bag of jelly beans this year. Like a 4-foot wide bag. Not sure where we're going to find a plastic bag to do that. Any suggestions?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:41 AM   #19  
it's always something

Cody would have been so perfect, as I thought he just looked like them, lol! I really wanted to do that.

Aphil, I'm not a professional anything, lol, but I used to love to make costumes for my son when he was little. It was so much fun! I'd love to see the pics of your son in costume, if you get the chance

Jen, that sounds interesting What will you use for the jellybeans? Hey, ask Dad if they've received anything packed in big plastic bags at the office.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:48 AM   #20  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Whah! I miss making costumes! And not just for Hallowe'en! Ah well, one of the Wisemen will need a new crown for Country Christmas.
I worked in the costume department at Stratford, Ontario, a couple of summers in a previous incarnation and still have it in my blood!
Old 10-01-2003, 09:31 AM   #21  

I would be glad to post pics up here after Halloween-I made Jasmine the Dorothy blue/white gingham checked dress, found red glittery ruby slippers online, and got her the blue hair ribbons and blue fold down socks...For Raiden I found a huge lollipop at Cracker Barrel, blue striped tights at Baby Gap, and made the shorts out of light blue knit, and the top out of blue and white plaid material, with the pieces cut so the plaid is diagonal like the munchkins, and not up and down/side to side. The biggest pain has been altering it all to include the ragged zig-zags on the ends of the shirt bottom and sleeves, and the shorts-so that the seams are all finished and nothing is crooked. I have also had to treat the edges so they won't fray. I made a loop in the shirt to hold the lollipop so he won't have to...and I need to make a yellow bow around the lollipop handle. (I am a stickler for proper details!!! ) I will also have to include our costumes in these pics. (My husband and I) I am finishing up the last stages of my husband's stormtrooper (Star Wars) costume-complete with voice changer and everything-I have been workin on it for a year now-it is movie quality. When we go trick or treating with the kids-we get about as much candy as the kids-and the older people especially just love us...they really enjoy it and that makes it totally worthwhile! We get a lot of old women coming to the door with candy and then yelling "Morty, you have to get in here and see THIS!!!!"
As far as the bag of jellybeans-I would try to find a large clear bag-try the local UPS, Post Office, ect. because they usually have them for packages they have to leave on a rainy day. You want to fasten it at the neck level obviously and not put it over his head... And I would just fill the bag with small blown up balloons in jelly bean colors, and then have "jelly beans" written on the front side of the clear bag-like with those stick on letters they sell to put your house name and number on your mailbox.
I have also seen a cluster of grapes done this way...where the kid wore a purple sweatshirt and pants and fake vines were attached on the head and neck area, and small purple balloons were blown up and attached to the suit all over by using safety pins on the excess little piece at the end of the knot. Make sure the child pees before putting any of the balloons on either costume!
Aphil
Old 10-01-2003, 11:24 AM   #22  
WW Moderator

Thanks for the ideas!! I'll sweet talk my UPS man and see what I can find. He delivers daily to my job, and my house is also on his route, so he knows about all the workout crap and protein powder that I buy, yet he hasn't told me he's noticed the difference!

Aphil - What is your costume this year?
Old 10-01-2003, 12:25 PM   #23  

My UPS man and mail lady always look at me like I am half crazy...we get a strange variety of items...things like belly dance costumes/props/newsletters, health items like supplements, the occasional Harley or dune buggy part, and then of course the strange items for my costuming...what makes it even more fun is when I answer the door to recieve a Harley part with a coined hip scarf on, or when I open the door to get a package from a belly dance company when I am looking my exotic best in flannel pj pants and my hair sticking up.
The mail lady is propbably sorting through our mail going "Harleys, belly dancing, health food supplements, Star Wars fan club...geeze, who are these people?"
Aphil
Closed Thread