Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 02:56 PM   #1  

Default Which Food Plan to Choose

Hello Everyone - I'm a newbie on this forum, but I've dropped in and read here for years now. I'm finally at the point where I've got to do something - so here I am.

I was thrilled to find this area - I'm 39, a lesbian and have been with my partner for 7 years. We live on Long Island. I currently work in real estate, but my love is entertainment.

I have joined and quit ww more times than I can count. This past Monday I started Atkins and the results are amazing. I haven't weighed myself, but I'd guess I've lost between 5-7 lbs in 5 days. I don't feel particularly healthy and I absolutely HATE the food. I'm not a big meat eater and I loathe eggs - but it's hard to deny the pounds dropping away.

Here's my question for the most part, what plan do most people like? I'm tempted to go back to ww since I really don't like the food on this plan, but I'm unsure. I guess I'm afraid of failure again. Thoughts?

292/285?/1st Goal 230

-deb
Old 03-28-2003, 04:29 PM   #2  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

Hi Deb!! Welcome!!

I am probably the last person who should be answering your query since I have been unable to stick to any program recently. HOWEVER, I think that whatever program you follow should be something that you CAN stick to. What part of Atkins are you doing? I believe it is stricter at first, and you may be able to tolerate it better at the next step. Some people here do modified low carb diets which allow you more carbs than Atkins. Weight Watchers is great too. There are LOTS of great women here, and we are ALL ready to give support and (sometimes too many!!) suggestions!!!
Old 03-28-2003, 05:21 PM   #3  

hi Deb. Congrats on your success with Atkins. I tried low carb for about 3 months and lost and gained the same 5 over and over. Just started counting calories. I have to count something I guess and carbs and fat doesn't seem to be working for me this time. Good luck on your choice. I can imagine that low carb would be difficult it you don't care for meat or eggs.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:46 PM   #4  
Old Cackler

hey there, deb... nice to see you...

now, about what to eat. the key, i guess, is that you eat things you like. not only is there no point in suffering, you also need to maintain this lifestyle. and you can't do that if you're miserable.

so, i suggest you read a lot. maybe carbohydrate addicts lifeplan is a better choice for you. it's still low carb, but you get a reward meal daily. some folks like sugarbusters. there are soooo many choices, but bottom line,

the best choice for you is the one you can stick with, with eating habits you can handle, and allows you to lose weight.

sorry i wasn't more help... but hang out, look around, ask questions.... you'll find your path.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:36 PM   #5  
Student of the Hoof

Hi Hi Deb. and welcome I tried the low carb thing, felt yucky and hated the food. Lasted about a week. I've found that I can stick to 1200-1400 calories a day with very little problem. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, try to make sure my carbs are complex, drink water till it's coming out my ears, and try to get in some exercise every day. I figure this is for the rest of my life, so I'd better be doing something I can live with! I started about 5 weeks ago, and I'm down 11 pounds. I'm happy with that kind of progress.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:49 PM   #6  
Cat Lover

Angry

Hi Deb!

I don't do Atkins, but I do watch my carbs. I really don't eat very much pasta anymore. I like chicken and fish and eat plenty. As for carbs: I try to stay away from white and stick with whole. I allow any fruit or vegetable and think they are good. I am not a big dessert eater and that is no problem. I love alcohol and it is my enemy.

Stick with us and you'll have fun!

Sandi
Old 03-28-2003, 09:19 PM   #7  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Welcome Deb!

I follow no plan, just try and eat well. I will not cut anything I really like out. I just know I can't eat it every night.

I would just find something that you can live with. Otherwise, even if you do lose the weight, you may not be able to maintain it.
Old 03-28-2003, 10:12 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome Deb!

I did ww before and lost 20 lbs and kept it off for the last year or so. Then I tried low-carb ala Suzanne Somers. The food and the recipes from her books are great but I have a hard time with the food combining You don't have to count carbs and you get to eat more fruit and veggies than with Atkins but have to stick to complex carbs like whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, brown rice.

You also have to cut out sugar and caffeine and I love my coffee

I am currently torn between going back on the WW plan,which two friends of mine are doing and it did work but I hate eating those low-fat food products on the market, and giving SS another go since I do really like her ideas and the plan in general.

Then again there is a low-carb version of WW too .... this probably isn't helping you by giving you more choices!

Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 03-29-2003, 11:59 AM   #9  

Thanks for the responses! I went back to ww and I've lost about 10 in a week - great results, but Atkins just isn't for me.

I found a diet buddy there and even told her about this site. I think we'll do great supporting eachother in real time and in the mean time I have this great place. Thanks again.

292.5/283.5/Short Term Goal 230
Old 03-29-2003, 01:23 PM   #10  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Your welcome!

Congratulations on the 10 lbs that is a great start!
I looked into Atkins too but I thought the plan was too restrictive for me. I need something that I can stick to and make into a way of life and also that my DH will eat. It is so much easier when you don't have to buy two lots of groceries and only have to plan one set of meals instead of two.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #11  
a brave new me...

Angry Food

I try to focus on healthy foods but eat things I like. For me, healthy food choices include vegetables, fruits, complex carbs and whole grains, poultry and seafood, skim milk and small amounts of high quality cheese, eggs, and nuts. I indulge with small piece of good chocolate, occasional dessert which I eat in place of a meal, yummy coffee drinks made with skim milk and 1/2 the flavor, and the occasional splurge with Chinese food or french fries or similar once a week. I eat smaller portions and try to eat only when I am hungry and stop when I am comfortable rather than full. The whole Atkins diet repulses me... I can't stand most red meat and I go crazy without complex carbs. I do avoid most refined carbs (except for chocolate and ice cream ), red meats, and am working on the fried foods. I do really well if I eat under 1600 calories a day... the weight just comes right off. I think moderation and not depriving yourself is the key for making it a lasting lifestyle change.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:38 PM   #12  

Like Raven and a lot of you-all, I find that counting calories and staying around 1200-1400 works for me. I do watch carbs (esp the white stuff - bread, pasta & rice) but I find that being flexible works best for me as I need to eat like this for the rest of my life...though having said that I do tend to stick to a few basics: veggie soup, wholegrain bread, chicken and salad greens with low-fat dressing, grapefruit & oranges, oatmeal, skim milk, yogurt.

I also take half a day a week (Sat. usually) to have whatever I like, like takeout & about as many chocolate mints as I can manage (yum yum!)

Deb, congrats on the 10 lbs! That is impressive & such a great way to start off! And welcome!

Lidian
Closed Thread