Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 08:50 AM   #1  
Buggin' with Pugs

Exclamation Getting Desperate (sorry so long)

Well I have been all over this Forum and finally found an area with some ladies that are 'my kinda gals'. I have NEVER joined something like this and am typically that steely kinda chick that doesn't ask for anyones help. BUT something inside me is screaming for some support (since family won't do it) and oddly enough, my (also overweight) friends don't seem to want to change. -- So, I come online looking for a place with some charismatic, fiesty people who can perhaps lend a hand.

I am 33, 5'8 and a little, 242 pounds (plan on weighing today to see if theres any changes for the + or -). I have no children, except my Pug and Boxer and 2 bunnies (can you tell I was compensating?). My highest weight was 257 and that was over 2 years ago. i am having the hardest time losing, despite reduced eating, much more excerise, I gave up the sodas and all caffeine, (call me nuts but I drink nothing but water now) and the weight stays. Sooooo.....I went to my doctor and discussed some alternatives (other than the upteenth ones already tried) including surgery. <----- This being prompted by 4 friends who have done it, one having complications, 1 dropping weight like crazy, the other 2 having success but hate the stringent regime.

Now my doctor put me on the scale and gave me an odd look. Our conversation at the point went something like this:

Doctor: "Well you certainly don't look like you weigh that much. My guess would have been 180 maybe."

Me: "I used to body build, and carrying this exra weight is a workout in itself."

Doctor: "your body frame is also large too. That factors in as well."

Me: "True, but according to 'the charts' I am obese. If the charts says I am supposed to be 168 at the most and I am 242, thats 74 lbs. Hence, Doc, I am a bit'o'chunky."

Doctor: "According to the charts, yes, you are obese, but from my medical standpoint, and based on your physical structure, I cannot consider you a condidate for surgery or for prescription of any suppressant medications. I suggest Weight Watchers and an exercise program."

Me: "Pardon me for this Doctor, but No Duh. I have tried over and over. You know I have PCOD, you know I am IR, and you yourself put me on a diet to which I have followed with minimal success. what else is there? What more can I do to get rid of this weight before I had MAJOR health issues to deal with?"

Doctor: "Let me look into some alternatives and get back with you."

Well ladies that was 2 months ago. The doctor has not gotten back with me and I feel like I am on my own. What blows my mind is that one of my friends who had the gastric bypass surgery was 5'9 and the same weight I am now, built the same (some people thought we were sisters) and had it done. Her doctor said 'no problem'.

Overall, my personal thing is that honestly, I have a problem with the drastic decision to go surgical. I know so many tout it as a miracle for them, and it very well may be, especially for those with major weight to lose. I am not angry at my doctor for saying 'no'. But her No provided me with an opportunity to really look at what I do towards my weight. And basically, the nitty gritty is that I need support and when I don't get it, give up.

So here I am. 242 lbs..hating it...wanting a change...and looking for someone(s) to 'diet with and meet mutual goals".

Anyone in here want to do that????? We can make weekly, monthly or whatever challenges for pounds or heck even challenges to just drop a food from our regular diet. Exercise challenges, whatever. Anyone game????
Old 03-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #2  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

I don't have much to lose but I'd love to help support you. I need someone to help with my accountablity.
This past week has been very stressful for me. Trying to gather all my money together as we are waiting for the lawyer to call and tell us how much we owe for the down payment and her fees. We are buying a house and taking possession on March 31. I've been eating sweets like crazy this week. I don't usually eat sweets because I don't want them. But for some reason this week that's all I've wanted.

Looking forward to getting to know you and helping you on your weight loss journey.

~Kelly~
Old 03-21-2003, 10:22 AM   #3  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

We have posts that we go over our excersice, food ect...but if you want a challenge. I am in. If I were you, since you use to body build, I would get back into it. You burn so much more fat and calories with more muscles. You frame already is working out holding up that extra weight, you might as well do it an advantage! Welcome to our group. I think journaling your food is a great start. You need to "see" where your calories are coming from. I think calorie counting isn't enough for energy. You gotta eat balenced whole foods. And you need to move your body more than what it has been accustomed to. And then you will start seeing results. Maybe if you want we can have a new food challenge. I know my diet is pretty boring, I could use a kick in the pants to eat new veggies. Or we could have a video tape challenge. We have to go to blockbuster and rent a tape and report each day for a week how we are doing? Or something...I am open to suggestions. Great to meet you!
Old 03-21-2003, 10:38 AM   #4  

Height: 5'-2"

Hey Rubens... welcome! Sure, I'm up for a challenge, too. I've got 60 pounds to lose, and like you, I carry it fairly well. My doctor said the same thing as yours when I asked for a weight loss program from him. He's a wonderful doctor, but this is NOT about vanity! This is about our health!
I think the body building is a good idea, too. I've started again this week. I'm not going to overdo it... I need to do a lot of cardio, too, but I definitely need to exchange some fat for muscle.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:18 AM   #5  
Buggin' with Pugs

Well I am doing the Snoopy Dance!!! :
I just knew you gals would be great!!! Well how do you all feel about starting this out by listing all of our Stats?(Start weight (from this day, not total lost so far), exercise rate (how many times per week) and "report" changes weekly. And lets say we add a new food each week, something healthy of course, (i could add more veggies) or delete a bad food (fewer Rice Krispie treats). Little steps toward the goal. I am so tired of leaping and falling on my face.

Ellis....you are so right! Honestly, losing weight, for me, in a small part is about feeling better about my body physically, which in a way is personal vanity, but f it was about vanity for any of us, we would all be getting lypo and surgery.....but in essence, I really just do not want to end up with the illnesses and diseases I see happening in my family. Hereditary is against me on some of these, but I can surely control the outcome by not duplicating the errors I see. I already feel achy in the joints at 33....I hate to see what 63 will bring if I stay on this road.

OI812...can we help my having you make a log of your food intake? Would that help with your accountability? Maybe by our adding a new healthy food can help with that too. Creating a substitute for the naughty one.

Flower...great point and I have already changed my workut program at the Y to include equal amounts of weight/cardio. When I trained before, I was a junior builder (16 yrs old...over 15 years ago) in my state, and had someone else training me and giving me my food. I sooo hated those protein drinks. The Whey powder... eventually turned my stomach with the mere smell of it.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #6  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Welcome Rubensmuse

We are all up for challenges, in fact we currently have an Easter Challenge going on where we are trying to lose 5 lbs to 10 lbs by Easter weekend. Each person has chosen their own goal.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:06 PM   #7  
Student of the Hoof

Hiyas Rubenmuse

I'm kinda new to this site, and this forum, but I love it so far. I think you'll find that the support is fantastic. I have my own self challenge going right now to do pilates 5 times a week for 3 months. So far so good! But if ya'll come up with another challenge, I may go for that one, too. I live for the pressure.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:26 PM   #8  
a brave new me...

Angry Welcome!

Glad you found us! FIRST of all... please find a new doctor! A doctor who doesn't listen to you or follow up should be fired immediately! Second, did you say you have Polycystic ovarian syndrome (you said PCOD)? I was diagnosed with mild PCOS several months ago and my doc put me on metformin... it has made a HUGE difference in my appetite and for the first time in my life I have been able to lose weight without starving myself. If you do have PCOS and aren't on the meds, you should go to a doctor immediately and see if it is right for you. Actually... anyone with a few symptoms of PCOS should go get the lab work done. One of the primary symptoms is obesity with difficulty losing weight.

Anyway, I am always up for more encouragement... so lets all go for it!
Old 03-21-2003, 01:28 PM   #9  
a brave new me...

Angry One more thing...

I just love pugs! I've been wanting one for years... I'm going to name him "Java" (like the coffee)... his full name will be"Java the Pug" (get it... Jabba the Hut?)

Last edited by Sojourner; 03-21-2003 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:33 PM   #10  
Student of the Hoof

Sojo

ok. it's cute.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:14 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Welcome, Rubens!

These alternachicks are fabulous, aren't that? Honestly, I feel more supported by my virtual group here than anyone in my life - we're all free to be who we are & everyone is very respectful & friendly.

Anywho! You might want to check out an old thread I started a few weeks back on weight-loss goals, you'll find a lot of folks listed their stats, how long they've been on this weight-loss journey, what got them started, what they're doing, etc., etc., You can see it here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=25549

Second, I agree with Sojo, if your doctor said she'd get back to you & is blowing you off, you either need to keep bringing it up or find a new doctor. You might not be a candidate for surgery or weight-loss drugs - she could be exactly correct, however, if she's promised something and not delivering - then it sounds like she doesn't have a clue what to do or tell you - and being obese is a serious medical condition contributing to tons of diseases and conditions. Don't get me started on the medical profession - arg!!

Lastly, congratulations for taking the first steps! I am doing 100% better sticking to my goals since I found these wonderful ladies at Alternachicks. Honestly, this is only the second time in my life I've successfully changed my eating & exercise habits. This time around, I honestly believe I can do it, and that's in part because of these ladies and the other forums here.

Last edited by Lunula; 03-21-2003 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:42 PM   #12  
a brave new me...

Angry I agree!

This is the longest I have ever stuck with a weight loss program in my entire life... and I owe it all to this great forum! What a great group of supportive and crazy alternachicks!
Old 03-21-2003, 02:59 PM   #13  
Buggin' with Pugs

Yes I can tell you that being online with you all feels 'right'. Like I am part of something with great people. I started a journal on her that I welcome you all to see and add to with comments and so forth. But to get the "party Started" I will post my current status here..since today is my 'new beginning'.

Weight Goals:
Current weight as of this minute: 243 (just had lunch & alot of water*burp*)
Current goal: 10 lbs (trying small steps so I don't get overwhelmed)
Total Goal: 70lbs or something like it.

Exercise Goals:
Current schedule: I go to the Y 3 times a week. Mon. weights/cardio. Wed. Racqetball for 1 hour or Water aerobics. Fri. another weight/cardio workout or 1 hour walk. (Fridays are strange days cause I have class in the evenings)
Current Goal: Keep up the above schedule for at least 3 months.
Total Goal: some form of exercise everyday even if for 15 minutes. Get flexible enough for Yoga.....oh for some peace. :cloudnine:

Food Goals:
Current habits: Eat whatever I want
Current Goal: Eat much less of whatever i want
Total Goal: Control my sweet tooth and stop frequent snacking.

So there it is ladies! My thoughts out for all to see!

Sojourner...Yes I have been seen by 3 doctors for the PCOD..they say 'D' because I have many many many cysts (the ovary looks like cauliflower one doctor wanted to give me a total hysterectomy, the others say its the worst thing, especially at my age. All I know is my GP, the one who blew me off, is not the most curteous person anyway, and I have an appointment to see my GYN (I had to get GP referral which is why I had to see her first...thank you HMO). I can't get in till April 12th though.
Old 03-21-2003, 03:18 PM   #14  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

I am at 190, goal is 138. I am 5-5. I am 33.9999

Cardio-5 days a week walking
3 days a week-small weights

Will be adding next week-home gym 3 days a week
cycling 4 times a week.

May 1st-Aqua classes
Old 03-21-2003, 03:20 PM   #15  

Height: 5'-2"

Okay Rubens... I NEEDED a kick to get me started again!

Weight goals:
current... 193
goal... to get into the 180's and NEVER go back!
total goal... 60 pounds. Approximately.

Exercise goals:
current... I go (normally, except I've been sick for 6 weeks and have just started again this week at the Y) to the Y at least 3 times a week. Workouts are a minimum of an hour and include a lot of cardio plus some weights. Plus an hour and a half of yoga.
goal... to keep this up as a minimum. Indefinitely.
total goal... same as above. Plus I'm supposed to do a 60km charity bike thingy in May. If I don't pull myself together, I'm going to have a stroke.

Food goals:
current... I eat until my eyeballs are popping out.
current goal... I MUST write down what I eat.
future goal... eat to live, not live to eat.
Closed Thread