Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2003, 07:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Default How do you cope with "bad days"?

What are your coping mechanisms when you've had a bad day?

I had a rotten day yesterday & it's extending into today... Weighed myself this morning and I gained 3 pounds (which is undoubtedly water weight because I've done really well over the last week - but still!). I wanted to have a great workout tonight, but I made the mistake of trying a new step-aerobics tape and it was awful... too many "cutesy" moves that were hard to follow, too much floor work (I have problems with massive toe-numbness when I workout, step aerobics bother me the least... regular aerobics just kills my feet) and it wasn't long enough... so I was pretty upset by the end of it.

Anyway, so now I'm frustrated in general... that my feet hurt so bad when I workout, that the aerobics tape was so bad, that my workout tonight was awful and that the scale said I'd gained 3 pounds. I need suggestions on how to pull myself out of this funk before I let it go on & on & on... so what do you do when you've had bad days?
Old 01-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #2  

ok, well, I know this probably doesn't sound very healthy.......but I generally head home - stop along the way to pick up a mindless mag like People or InStyle, tomato soup, crackers or ice cream if it's summertime and then get home and crawl into bed and maybe call a friend on the phone and/or read my mag or watch mindless TV and hug myself and /or cry and just drift off to sleep depending on how bad the day was........thankfully not too often

Terri
Old 01-15-2003, 09:34 AM   #3  
Must Shrink.

I'll have a bad day every once and awhile, where I cannot stop eating, I call them Hungry Days. Those are the days I'd walk a kilometre to get a bag of chips or chocolate bar...

I remember when I was doing the Zone diet, and Dr. Sears said if you mess up, you can always start fresh the next meal or I would start fresh the next day.

I'll buy a new WW magazine, some comforting diet food, and make a big pot of soup.

It sounds pretty lame. But it works for me...
Old 01-15-2003, 12:10 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

A bubble bath, a glass of wine, a little weep and then early bed with something light to read. Dog hugging works for me too!
Old 01-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #5  
Hardcore UFOs

A bubble bath is always in order if I'm not feeling quite tip-top. I'm with Ruth, totally... bubble bath, glass of wine, and a kitty or a warm hug and snuggle from a loved one.

Naps are ace, too.

Hang in there! This too shall pass. I've been in a little slump lately, but I am never giving up, and you shouldn't either. It will be worth it in the end, I promise.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:35 PM   #6  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Definitely a bubble bath, with the phone in there so I can call a good friend who I can BITC* to . Friends are great that way, they will just dit and listen to you go off, just because you need to. I also like to light lots of candles, scented preperably and read a fav. magazine or maybe just listen to some classical music, that always relaxes me.
Virginia
Old 01-15-2003, 03:54 PM   #7  
wfh
PsychoMutts!

I'm having a bad week and I think I'm just gonna chuck it in and start on WI day.... That's how bad my week was. I was bummed being my first week back and I only loss .8 (I'm a lifetime member of WW's) I'm over my goal by 8 pounds and need to get back down. So, nonetheless I've been beating myself up..... I'm good at that. Oh well. wanted to vent....
thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 05:21 PM   #8  

Height: 5'-2"

Select your sharpest carving knife...
Old 01-15-2003, 07:23 PM   #9  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Things that help me - comfort food like mashed potatoes, stuffing, ice cream, puddings, pasta. A bath. Warm covers and a good book. Chocolate. Coffee, tea or hot chocolate.

Or a friend who has bail money.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:58 PM   #10  
Cat Lover

Default Bad day

I used to drink to mellow out, but no more.

For me, I know I can go to bed early and wake up to a new day. Also, hugging and playing with my cat really helps, as do calling a friend to vent. The bubble bath sounds good. So is a good cup of tea.

Sandi
Old 01-15-2003, 11:08 PM   #11  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

I usually put on my "bum around the house"clothes or pjs, make a big bowl of popcorn and sit on the couch with a blanket watching movies that make me laugh. They are usually older movies like Breakfast at Tiffany's, Auntie Mame, The last Remake of Beau Geste, or the movie Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown which I end up laughing out loud at and forgetting my troubles for a while.

Sometimes I just curl up with a magazine or a humorous book and a pot of my favorite herbal tea.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:11 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/149/138

Height: 5'6

Thanks, everyone. I forced myself to workout tonight, even though it was ****, it made me feel better afterwards. ALL I've thought about for the past two nights is binging... I'm still holding out, but it's tough. Luckily I don't really have any binge food in the house, unluckily, I live about half a mile from a grocery store, lol.

I think a bubble-bath and a couple glasses of wine with a good book sound about right. Just reading all your posts helps, too!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:55 AM   #13  
Searching

Talking I want to add mine

Things I do when I am just feeling bad!

Wear my favorite PJ's and be creative.

I might write for hours in my personal journal about why I feel so blah and then rewrite it in a positive frame, because feeling bad is half attitude.

Or I might start some topic oriented collages and see what comes out when the picture is done. You wouldn't believe what I have learned about me by clipping and pasting pictures.

Have a film festival. I am my favorite movie critic and I love movies. I like to make topic line-ups and analyze why I would group these movies together. Anything with strong female roles is a plus to get me up and going.

Pretend I am not feeling bad and just smile. My largest goofies smile, and sometimes I just find happy again.

Geeze I am a goober
Miss Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 07:08 AM   #14  

Height: 5'-2"

Someone emailed me this...

Shake It Off And Step Up!

An illustration is told of a farmer who owned an old mule. The mule fell into the farmer's well. The farmer could hear the mule "braying" or whatever mules do when they fall into wells. After carefully assessing the situation, the farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule nor the well was worth the trouble of saving. Instead, he called his neighbors together and told them what had happened...and enlisted them to help haul dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery.

Initially, the old mule was hysterical! But as the farmer and his neighbors
continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back, a thought struck him. It suddenly dawned on him that every time a shovel load of dirt landed on his back HE SHOULD SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP! This he did, blow after blow.

"Shake it off and step up...Shake it off and step up...Shake it off and step up!" he repeated to encourage himself. No matter how painful the blows or distressing the situation seemed, the old mule fought "panic" and just kept right on SHAKING IT OFF AND STEPPING UP!

You're right, it wasn't long before the old mule, battered and exhausted,
STEPPED TRIUMPHANTLY OVER THE WALL OF THAT WELL! What seemed like it would bury him actually blessed him all because of the manner in which he handled his adversity.

THAT'S LIFE! If we face our problems and respond to them positively, and refuse to give in to panic, bitterness, or self-pity...THE ADVERSITIES THAT COME ALONG TO BURY US USUALLY HAVE WITHIN THEM THE POTENTIAL TO BENEFIT AND BLESS US!

One Day At A Time...No Guilt and Move On!!!
Old 01-16-2003, 07:11 AM   #15  
Searching

Thats awesome Ellis!

Miss Chris
Closed Thread