Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Help with an eyebrow piercing !!!!

I am hoping someone can give some advice. I got my first eyebrow piercing about 2 years ago. I got a second one - same eye - about 1 1/2 years ago. I have constant crusting problems. The second piercing - the inside one - seems to be the most problematic. I get the white fluid accumulation and major crusting and it bleeds sometimes when cleaning it. I know the bleeding is probably a sign that the crusting is irritating the inside so it is not healing up. It is NOT infected. I cleaned it with Dial liquid soap and all that initially - and actually have taken that up numerous times since in the hopes it will heal up (and warm salt water compresses). I have also tried leaving it alone and not really cleaning it to see if it will heal but then I get the fluid accumulation. The barbells are not migrating - just won't heal. It generally looks fine - I get compliments etc - but they get crusty most of the time. What am I doing wrong ? I have ear piercings and a nose piercing that I've had no problems with. I know the eyebrow tends to collect dirt but what am I missing ???? Lavender oil or tea tree oil maybe ?? Any advice ??

I LOVE them and don't want to remove them and I am VERY PALE and know they will scar very visibly.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #2  
So close!

S/C/G: 162/143/105

Height: 5'3"

I know nothing about eyebrow piercings, but I have a ton of ear piercings, navel, and nipples. My experience is that curved pieces of jewelry going through "flat" parts of the body rub more, and therefore take longer to heal. My holes with straight barbells through them healed much faster than those that are curved.

I got an orbital ear piercing about a year ago, and it still gets a little crusty. I will rinse it in the shower, but other than that I don't worry about it. It has gotten a lot better, and I expect it will be fully healed soon. My nipple piercings (also curved rings, through a straight piece of skin) still get very crusty and white fluid is present. Occasionally they bleed, but only when they get bumped or irritated. They are only three months old though, so this is typical. I have never had a piercing stay that way for a year and a half, so I might be worried. Contact your piercer maybe? Or try a straight barbell if you have a curved one in?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

This is what has worked for my friends:

Replace the hoops with bar bells until healed.

First clean the barbells in alcohol them dip/coat them in neosporin before inserting them. Remove them daily post shower and repeat. Always keep them coated with neosporin until you're totally healed.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #4  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

i am having the same problem w/ two cartilidge piercings i have. they just aren't seeming to heal up, though they aren't infected. sometimes they hurt and they're always crusty. i just wash them w/ the soap from the piercing shop and try not to play too much with them. i have been hoping if i ignore it eventually it'll be okay. lol.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

I had the same problem, twice, plus it basically migrated out and I had to take it out and give up. That was a sad day. I loved my eyebrow piercing, I really did.

~Choirgirl~
Old 04-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

My body rejected my eyebrow. I took it out after awhile. It was not going to heal. Eyebrow rings are a common problem for people.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #7  
sugar is the devil

Could you maybe try a different kind of material for the barbell? I'm very allergic to nickel - but I know most barbells now are not even made with that anymore. A good choice is stainless steel or titanium. Maybe even gold. I don't know if this will help your problem but I though I would suggest it. It could be the body reacting to the material?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #8  

Height: 5'4"

Thank you all for your suggestions. Initially I had rings and I now have curved barbells. I have a nickel allergy so they are titanium. Last time I asked about the crusty stuff at the place I had it done was when I switched to the barbells - and he said some people just get that but it will go away. I think I'll try a different place and get an opnion and maybe try the straight barbells as Rowenna suggested. I know that the neosporin is a bad idea and is to be used only sparingly as it can keep air from getting to the wound - I'm glad it worked for you Razorcandy but it is NOT infected anyway. Until I can get to a new piercing shop I'm going to leave them alone as much as possible and just do a hot salt compress each evening but NOT move them around. The first eyebrow piercing was very meaningful to me. It was after I had finished losing my first 100 pounds and had been making some major personal life changes - I don't want to have to take it out.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.
Closed Thread