Old 10-15-2008, 09:24 PM   #16  
What am I waiting for?

S/C/G: 315/254/160

Height: 5'6"

I think this is an nice fit for me too. I am like no one I know. I think is a positive though
jasmine987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:59 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

yay im so glad to have found this forum! Its nice to know there other people out there like me, the people that never really fit into any catergory but there own! I just joined this site and im excited about it!
luvmyinnerdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 136/130/119

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

I am new to 3FC and came to this forum to see what it was all about. It seems like there is a lot of discussion around music and appearance. To me, "alternative" means anything that is not main stream society. While music tastes and especially appearance can be indicators of an alternative mindset, I think there is more to it. I think there are certain parts of myself that are mainstream - how I dress for the most part, my career and where I work, where I live. But I think the core of me - my beliefs and morals - are alternative. My husband and I are both sober; we do not have children (by choice); we prefer staying at home and by ourselves rather than going out; we are both intellectually curious and try to figure things out on our own; we are spiritual but do not subscribe to any organized religion.
kmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #19  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

i agree kmcp. but as this site restricts a lot of discussion about beliefs, morals, religion (to some degree) as not to offend, many of the discussions revolve around trivial issues such as music and tattoos. so this forum is kind of wishy-washy in that respect but for the most part i believe most of our "alternativity" is based on what's on the inside rather than the outside i.e. my views on religion and politics. for what it's worth i like it here largely on the basis that i don't really seem to fit in in any of the other forums.

btw
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:22 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

The only thing that is really forbidden here in the forum is political talk...and that is because people tend to get REALLY defensive about it, and it causes a lot of messes for the mods and administration to clean up.

As far as religion goes, religion isn't banned here...we have sections devoted to just that-Faith Based Groups, Paganchicks, etc. Some of the mods and administrators have different faiths, and we are all very respectful of that. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone mentioning that they are Pagan, Jewish, Baptist, or whatever and mentioning their holidays or events in passing....only when someone becomes "preachy" to others.

I would not consider anything wishy-washy about that...we are primarily a diet and fitness support site, and we try to keep the focus on THAT aspect of our lives...rather than going into politics, etc. There are thousands of other sites focused on that if that is what people want to discuss.

I don't call it wishy-washy...I call it keeping focused on the primary purpose of the forum.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:20 AM   #21  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

I would not consider anything wishy-washy about that...we are primarily a diet and fitness support site, and we try to keep the focus on THAT aspect of our lives...rather than going into politics, etc. There are thousands of other sites focused on that if that is what people want to discuss.

I don't call it wishy-washy...I call it keeping focused on the primary purpose of the forum.

Eh, potato/potata. That's what I meant, you just put more thought and words into saying it. Cheers.
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #22  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

I'm a lil confused

Growing up I went thru a phase where I dressed in all black, no make up and long black (natural) hair. I slamm danced and loved the Sex Pistols. I have several tattoos and plan on getting more. I've had nose pioerced and lots of earrings in my ears. I do now and always have been a christian with very strong beliefs. I am married to a black man - we like all kinds of music and some of the same things as some of yall have mentioned so why doesn't that just mean you are you just like I believe all of this is just me being me

Maybe I don't understand exactly??????
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #23  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I don't really post here alot, but I do post here when the topic speaks to me. I definitely feel way outside the mainstream quite often, so I do understand the desire to meet and gather with other people who are "off center." When you're very different from other people in some way, sometimes just meeting other people who are also different (even if it's different in a completely different way) can create a bond. "Hey you're an unmatched colored sock in a sea of white socks too - that's cool!"

Do I consider myself alternative, or just an individual? That's harder to answer. I look very normal. I tend to dress rather conservatively, and my personality is often called "cheerful and upbeat" by others (I hide my inner darkness well). But my way of looking at the world is - well, sometimes very unique.

My husband looks a lot more alternative than I do. I describe his appearance as "biker-viking." 6'2", 350 lbs (more when I met him) with graying hair with still a lot of his natural, many-shades of red hair. He looks "tough" and unconventional, but his beliefs and values are more conservative than you would expect. He's a gamer and still plays with the group he joined in high school. They meet monthly, and members travel for hours (when we were in IL, the drive was 5 hours, but hubby still drove it every month). I tell him we're a strange pair, because I'm normal on the outside and kinda strange in the middle, and he's strange on the outside and kinda normal in the middle.

My husband will often look at me during a conversation and say "you're just not right" (meaning "what planet are you from, anyway?") - but say it with such a mixture of awe and pride - he definitely did get a unique woman.

I remember his mother LOVING me when she met me (because I looked normal, had a great job, and didn't carry some of the emotional baggage of some of hubby's former girlfriends). But I think she started realizing I wasn't going to "fix" her son for her, when she was trying to badger me into getting hubby to get a haircut for our wedding. I guess I sort of did - I asked hubby to get his hair trimmed (about an inch) and braided for the wedding in a long braid down the center of his back (it almost touched his belt).

We horrified both sets of parents by having decks of cards on the reception tables, board games and a boom box instead of a band and dancing at our reception.

I didn't want a diamond for my engagement ring - I wanted an aquamarine, because it's my absolutely favorite stone (and birthstone). The wedding band has diamonds and saphires that surround the aquamarine engagement ring (diamonds because they're my husband's birthstone and saphires because they traditionally represent fidelity).

I didn't realize how abnormal having a non-diamond stone was, until so many people said "I've never seen a blue diamond before," - and I tell them "and you still haven't." I don't know how anyone could mistake an aquamarine for a diamond, but I guess they so expect a diamond that they assume that's what it must be.

Am I alternative? I don't know, but I'm definitely weird - does that count?

Last edited by kaplods; 10-29-2008 at 04:06 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #24  
diosa

S/C/G: 216/157/124

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
"Hey you're an unmatched colored sock in a sea of white socks too - that's cool!"
That is an awesome quote.
Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM   #25  
Grasshopper

S/C/G: 197/117/100

Height: 4'10"

I love this thread! Basically, I think Alternachick is anyone who thinks outside the box. I like to say not only do I think outside the box, but I live there. I have multiple tattoos, an eyebrow piercing, Henna my hair that's unruly and a gleaming orange red, yet I'm a naturalist/hippie who attends music festivals and environmental causes....and a rebel, that is, when it comes to society's norms and conservations. I'm a human rights activist, a bowling mom, a worker bee, and a hooper. I refuse to be slated as one particular label.

Last edited by RedKat; 10-31-2008 at 12:45 PM.
RedKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 241/232/165

Height: 5.7

fly that weirdo flag!!!!
jandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:19 PM   #27  
Snazzy Person. :]

S/C/G: 166/149/130

Height: 5'5"

Hmm... Well, seeing as I am new, I can't really say anything. But I am young, so being an 'alternachick' is what almost all teenagers consider themselves... I was goth in like, sixth grade, tried to be 'emo' in seventh grade, and in eighth grade I went to a mental health clinic... But I mean, I'm also best friends with the cheerleading captain, am an avid member of the debate team, and am practically a make up artist. And yet almost every weekend I get very 'dark' or whatever, and go to a show and mosh around... So... I think everyone is an alternachick really, somehow.
katie m a r i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:21 PM   #28  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

i guess i should pipe in here.

I am definately an alternachick... I favour the rockabilly/punk/pin up fifties style and i have numerous tattoos and piercings.

But i am trying my hardest to break the mould within careers. I am currently in my 2nd month of an amazing job/career which is public facing and has LOADS of progression opportunities. I hope i am making way for people to look past the appearances of people who may look a little differently and see the intelligent and successful person inside.
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #29  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

My husband and I were discussing this very topic - what is the distinction between individuality and an anternative lifestyle - and the conflicting needs to express individuality and conformity. Especially in the teen years, being a non-conformist - often means finding a non-standard group to conform to. If you're truly unique, you're just a freak.

It's funny sometimes how people sometimes see us as direct opposites, and others say how much alike we are. I think we're opposite sides of the same coin. My husband looks like a freak, a huge 6'2" biker-viking, though he neither owns a motorcycle or is of Scandinavian descent it is the impression he gives, with his waist-length auburn, now graying, hair and his obnoxious t-shirts such as "I'm big, you're small, have a nice day.... or I love my wiener (and a picture of a dachshund)... and yet he is the most morally and religiously conservative (yet tolerant) person I know. I on the other hand, look pretty "straight" and yet have a very weird (or to be flattering, eclectic) way of looking at the world. We both love sci fi, the Chieftains (I love celtic music from the instrumental "Enya" type to bawdy drinking songs, my husband is just an all-around music buff), animated "G" movies (and even better if they have thinly veiled adult references from the classic, even sappy old-movie nods in WallE to the adult humor in Shrek)...

My husband made this very astute and profound statement - "basically I just came to realize I am the only normal and sane person on the planet - and the rest of you all are just crazy freaks."
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #30  
frustrated foodie

S/C/G: 237/223/size 10/12

Height: 5'5.5"

Talking Yet another alternachick definition!

[QUOTE=aphil;2346885]
I am:

~A member of the 501st Division ( http://www.501st.com )

~MARRIED to a member of the 501st.

and play Star Wars Trivial Pursuit QUOTE] Yeah!

Anyway, I echo alot of the same-alternachick is alternative to the norm, left of center if you will. My musical taste includes mostly persons no longer living, I have a pierced nose, I like W00T!, video games, and I'm a total Star Wars geek. I am Pagan, but even there I'm left of center. Pretty much this is where everybody can belong.
owlmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote