Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:28 PM   #1  
SkinnyGina

Height: FiveSix

Default Food Intolerance?????

This is definitly a question for my doc but I thought I would bounce it off you ladies first.

Does anyone suffer from food food intolerance? If so...lets say for example you eat from that forbidden intolerance category. Do your symptoms occur immediately or like in a couple hours? The reason I am asking is b/c I don't know which doctor I should make an appt with.

My problem is every time I eat a certain food immediately afterwards I get congested. My lungs get a tiny amount of mucus in them and my throat feels like something is stuck in it all the time. So I am coughing and clearing my throat for a good hour or so after I eat. Another symptom I have is my nose gets runny and sometimes my eyes. Does this happen to anyone, or do you think it is not a food intolerance? Thanks so much!

Last edited by SkinnyGina; 03-29-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

Go see a Naturopath. Regular doctors tend to not "believe" in food intolerance. The assume if you are not all out allergic, then your problem is not food. At least this has been my experience.

Food intolerance can manifest in all sorts of ways. If you go to a regular doc you may have to do an elimination diet on you own to prove your point.

BTW, is it dairy that does this to you? Dairy is widely know as causing excess mucus production in some people.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-29-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

This sounds more like an allergy than an intolerance, especially since the reaction is immediate. Honey does this to me, or more likely a pollen commonly found in honey, as I've had a couple instances when I ate (non-local) honey and did not have the reaction. I had no problem with my doctors believing me or recognizing it as an allergic reaction. I was told that I should avoid honey altogether because food allergies can get worse without notice.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #4  
SkinnyGina

Actually this happens when I eat bread and pasta. All of a sudden after I eat it I just get hit with all this mucus. I agree with you Zenor that Doc's don't believe in inotlerance. And when I cut out wheat I do notice that I do not have the same things occur. Just testing can be expensive so I wanted advice before I go that route to really see what my body doesn't like.
Kaplods you have it instantly happen as well? That is good to hear because I always thought there might be something else happening since my reaction happened so quickly.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:57 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Yep, immediately. I get a scratchy, itchy throat. The runny nose and itchy eyes sometimes too. My doctor said that "hayfever" type symptoms are most common for food allergies. The super severe, life-threatening anaphylactic shock is much more rare and more common for peanuts and shellfish.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #6  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

Is it possible that you might be gluten sensitive? I've read about some people on where who claimed that they used to get some funny symptoms (that weren't life threatening or anything like that) after eating wheat based products and that when they figured out gluten might be the problem, they tried doing without it and the symptoms cleared up. It might be a thought worth entertaining, at least...
Old 03-31-2008, 12:45 PM   #7  
SkinnyGina

Thanks Lindsey, it definitly is something to consider. Thankfully I live close to a Whole Foods so I can find numerous gluten free foods
Old 04-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

I can't eat fruit and many high sugar veggies, they make me bloat with painful gas, I get so thirsty after eating them and I also fool so sluggish and tired. I love fruit so much but it just kills me to eat it.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:45 PM   #9  
SkinnyGina

I love fruit as well! Have you tried berries they have smaller amounts of sugar?
Old 04-07-2008, 11:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 250/150/135

Height: 5'4

I can tolerate small quantities of berries, I use them in tofu smoothies.

Last edited by ShannanA; 04-07-2008 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM   #11  
God, Give me strength !!

S/C/G: 240/240/150

Height: 5'7

I was just reading about gluten intolerance.. I was told my naturopath that I have gluten sensitivity via saliva testing, but I am not so sure I put much stock in saliva testing for this issue, but willing too give things a try * I think *...alot of the gluten free foods are so awful,and awful is putting it nicely..I have found a few thingfs I like but the breads, fliurs and muffin mixes are nasty.... at any rate.. I was reading that it can take up too 72 hrs before a reaction shows up, which makes it hard too figure out food is bothering you..

I know chocolate is a no no for me, it makes my mouth burn.
Closed Thread