Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #316  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

That is quite a happening Carol Sue. One of those small world things. I have had things like that happen from time to time. People I meet and they are either familiar with areas I have lived, or happen to know someone I knew.

The one that I remember ~ when we were living in North Carolina, I started to attend a local church. I went to the Sunday school class for ladies my age. We were going around the table introducing ourselves ~ telling a little bit about each of us. One lady ~ after I told where I was originally from said that her husband was from there. We got to telling more details, and it turned out that her husband was a high school class mate of mine.

I sort of remember that there were several of those kind of things over the years, but I can't seem to recall them now.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:41 PM   #317  

Height: 5'3"

It's been mostly a quiet day however the kids did come over for a little while.
I picked up a subway for lunch as dh had his own packaged food he bought at Costco the other day and it didn't sound good to me.

I got my new printer set up last night and I think it's a good one but haven't tried it except for the test print.

Carol - Quite the coincidences in one day! I haven't had anything like that happen to me as far as I can remember. I have had a couple people tell me I looked exactly like someone they knew. Hard for me to imagine as I think I'm very unique.. LOL My sister and I are built the same but we don't even look alike.

My weight dropped down 1/2# but that's it. I once read that your body likes to go back to a weight it's used too...doesn't make much sense to me, and if it does why doesn't it go back to 160...I was that weight for a long time! I think I only dropped the 1/2# because I was so busy setting up the printer I forgot about eating last night. The movie was good and I ate my usual junk food but didn't snack in the evening. And as usual after eating candy, my bs was better this morning. Not the best but better than often.

Trying to finish up my son's tax return but it keeps asking me for info and now he's not hear to tell me so I have text him and wait for him to get back to me. Slow process. Hopefully I'll have it all soon and can send it off. I love
that we can now e-file!

Not much news...have a good eve. The weeks sure fly by fast.

Last edited by maryea; 03-13-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:05 AM   #318  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning everyone,
What a surprise I got this morning. I'm down 2 lbs. and don't understand that as I have been misbehaving for 2 weeks now but I'll take it lol. It is a rainy day here today and they are calling for rain for the next few days so I imagine the lawns will start turning green any time now. My ankle isn't good enough to do the yard and garden spring cleanup so I'm trying to get my friend's two sons to come and help me with that. I love gardening and sure hate having to give up doing this job for this year.

Carol That is quite the surprise story about the people you met at the event you went to.

Mary I bought a new black and white Brother printer. It is a WiFi connection and I had to have a friend from church come and set it up as it was quite complicated. I apparently had the wrong remote connection information. I just love it and hope you enjoy your's. I didn't want a printer that uses color as ink is way too expensive.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 03-14-2016, 11:49 AM   #319  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Mary, I think your body would go back down to the previous weight if you had tackled it as soon as you gained. If you stay at a new weight for a while it becomes the new set point, but it takes a while. That's why they always say it's harder to lose weight that you have had on for a while.

Our bodies are very complicated.

I have to go help DH make his doughnuts. I will have to come back and tell you what happened to the ones he made yesterday.

Ok, they're done. He makes these doughnuts from a thick batter, rolls it into a rope between his hands and drops them in Crisco. When he takes them out , he puts them into a bowl lined with paper towels and I shake powdered sugar onto them. Yesterday, he was making them and I was taking a nap. Trying to get back the hour of sleep we lost. He had his slotted spoon sitting on the plastic lid to the Crisco. When he picked up the spoon, the plastic lid stuck to it and he dropped it into the boiling Crisco. It melted so much before he could get it out and it was half melted away. At that point he should have dumped out the Crisco and used new, but he didn't. He said the finished donuts had an off taste and threw them away. Then, this morning when he want to have a cup of coffee he noticed that the milk smelled bad. So the odd taste could have been from the milk, or from the plastic melted into the Crisco. So he made a new batch. These donuts are very good when eaten right away, but a little tough the next day. There aren't usually many left the next day but they can be warmed up in the microwave. I eat one just to see how they turned out and these today are very soft and tender. But I can't eat them otherwise.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-14-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:28 PM   #320  

Mary, I have a question about a wireless mouse. We saw one at Goodwill that looked like it was new, still in the package. I was going to buy it, but DH kept saying that the cord is missing to connect it to the computer. I don't understand, if it's "wireless" why would it have a cord to connect it to the computer? We don't need a mouse, but for a couple dollars I would have tried it. I don't know if he didn't know what he was talking about or if it's me.

Our new printer has wireless capability but we have it connected by USB port.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 03-14-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:34 PM   #321  
Want to feel better

Carol Sue ~ I have a wireless mouse for my lap top. I can use either the touch pad and my finger like a mouse, or the wireless mouse. The wireless mouse has a little thing that plugs into the side of the lap top and it makes the computer "recognize" that something (the mouse) is there. You're right ~ there is no cord ~ that is why it is called wireless.

Here are pictures of:

The wireless mouse, the little thing you plug into the computer, the ports where you plug it in, and the little thing plugged into the port.

Hope that helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wireless mouse.jpg (19.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg wireless mouse plug.jpg (12.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ports.jpg (20.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg plug thing plugged into port.jpg (23.3 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by glynne; 03-14-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:17 PM   #322  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

Back to good eating. Had an accident on 2/28 - fell off a segway & the segway fell on me. Hurt my shoulder, leg, & ankle. LOTS of bruises & pain, but nothing serious. However, out of action for the gym. I start PT tomorrow. Will take some time today (after I finish my taxes) to read through the posts.

Hope all of you are well.

Lynn
Old 03-14-2016, 03:56 PM   #323  

Height: 5' 2"

LynnOUCH for your fall and the injuries. You hit lots of spots with one fall. Hope the PT gets you OK.

My Taxes are done. Waiting on one piece of info for estimated taxes then DH will take them over to Mary our wonderful Accountant. Mary Good for you in helping your son with his taxes.

77 degrees here and sunny. Will go out and transplant a Lenten Rose frun UNDER the Burning bush to a shady spot between Garage and Garbage Shed where it will shine with pink blossoms. Ferns and Epimedium (bloom yellow soon) will snuggle in around those ever green, waxy leaves of the Lenten Rose (First bloomed in first of February and still going till June!!!!

CarolSue your husband's Kitchen experience sounds familiar. Glad we all quit deep frying here. Doing without some good stuff like DH's great Egg Rolls.

House has windows open as I vacuum. I somehow feel this is healthier. Knee is doing good so far today, but I fear the transplanting I'll be doing won't be kind to it. Knee shots on Wednesday and I do have medication if I need it.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #324  

Haven't gotten anything done here at home today but went to the gym and then the grocery store. "Rested" too long when I got home, online too long.

Carol -Yes, that's the way the wireless mouse works as Glynne described. I have a completely wireless system...computer, keyboard, mouse and printer. The same USB sensor works for both my mouse and keyboard, but the printer just works after it's installed on the computer. The computer detects it. This is my 2nd wireless mouse and keyboard I think, possibly 3rd, can't remember for sure. Wouldn't want any other way now. I can print from my tablet and probably from my phone but haven't tried that, however my son has printed from his laptop with my previous printer. Love technology!!

The doughnuts sound good. I wouldn't eat anything plastic had melted into either as some of it when heated lets off toxic fumes. I used to make doughnuts They aren't one of my craved items usually but if they are around I will eat them for sure! Dh buys us one each now and then. I have two fond memories about doughnuts from our travels. When we were in London, we were in this Bed & Breakfast that wasn't far from a doughnut place. Their doughnuts were greasy and very yeasty and at first I thought they were kinda yucky! But the more I ate them the more I loved them...definitely got hooked. Then one year we exchanged our timeshare for a place in New Orleans and we found out about Cafe Du Monde...and their fabulous beignets. We would take a walk everyday to get our fix and sometimes take some back to our unit! In case you don't know about them, they are a deep fried pastry with powdered sugar on top similar to a doughnut but not round and no hole. You can google for pictures. Whenever I think of New Orleans I think of them. I even brought back a picture of Cafe Du Monde. Thank God I wasn't a diabetic then!

Makes sense what you say about the weight, Carol. I was kinda joking about my body remembering 160, but I read a book once where this lady was trying to lose a lot of weight and she said every time she reached a lower number that previously she had been at for a long time (years ago), she would be stuck there for a while no matter what she did..and she was told that the body will try to stick to a weight you have been at before in life. I don't know but I found that a little hard to believe, but who knows maybe that's why we have plateaus after a while

Sandy - 77 degrees sound so nice! GFY. It's in the 50s here and a little windy (at least this morning when we were out) and it's cold. Hope your knee survives the planting...don't push it too far.

Welcome back, Lynn - That was quite the fall..fortunate you didn't break anything.

Bye for now...

Last edited by maryea; 03-14-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:12 AM   #325  

Good morning everyone,
I have just a Doctor Appointment this morning to get the results of my red blood cell count which has been too high and caused me to have Anemia. So far, they haven't found out the source of my internal bleeding via the colonoscopy but my last visit to the doctor 3 months ago indicated that my red blood cell count has slightly improved. I'm hoping for the same result today. I'm also hoping my BS level hasn't increased as he said it was getting high the last time. I don't use sugar in anything but I am eating quite a bit of carbs.

Carol that is really too bad that the melted plastic got into the Crisco but freshly made warm doughnuts sure sound good.

Lynn to sorry to hear about your accident but glad you are back on the road to recovery. Good to hear from you.

Sandy You are having awesome gardening weather. Your Lenten Rose sounds beautiful.

Mary I have a wireless printer and used to have a wireless mouse but I found that the mouse was using too many batteries so I hooked up my wired mouse again. It doesn't bother me as my computer stays in the one spot so I don't even know the difference.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 03-15-2016, 06:49 AM   #326  

I googled wireless mouse and saw the little dongle that plugs into the USB port, but don't recall seeing that in the box with the mouse at Goodwill, but didn't know to look for it. My Fitbit has a dongle like that for transferring your information to you account on the computer. I don't really need a mouse. I am fine with the wired one I have, but just thought wireless would be nice. Maybe we would go through too many batteries like you did, Karrine.

I hope your doctor is able to find the source of your problem and it isn't anything serious.

Mary, when I was thin back in my 20s and 30s, I was averaging 137. I wanted to be in the 120s and I could struggle and get down there, but couldn't stay there. I did stay in the 130s for years but put a lot of weight on after I got married. DH is fattening. LOL I know I will never see the 130s again.

DH could live on doughnuts. He buys 3 at a time and eats all 3. The only ones I like are jelly filled and will only eat a very small piece if at all.

Lynn, I'm so glad to see your here! I'm sorry to hear of your injury. A segway always looked like fun to me, but not fun falling off!

Sandy, I've missed you, too. I also love to open the windows when I'm cleaning. It seems to freshen the house, and when one of us is sick we try to have the bedroom window open for a while during the day to let some of the germs go out the window. We don't know if it helps, but it makes us think it's helping.

Our weather is warming up too. The buds are out on the lilac bushes, which means I will be housebound for a month or so. I am highly allergic to them. I will have to take a walk around the yard to see what bulbs are poking through. I hope winter is over, but in PA you never know. We have had snow on Easter in the past. I remember going to church in my new Easter dress and my boots. LOL
Old 03-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #327  
Want to feel better

Carol Sue ~ you might not have seen the little thingy for the mouse that plugs into the port on the computer if it was packaged like mine. The mouse folds up and when you unfold it, there is a little compartment where you can store that little thingy so it doesn't get lost. It feels kind of like it is held in place with something magnetic. Here are more pictures of that ~ hope that helps.

The folded up mouse, the underside with the little compartment for storing the "thingy" and a picture of the "thingy" in the little compartment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folded up mouse.jpg (15.4 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mouse thing compartment.jpg (16.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg mouse thing in compartment.jpg (15.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-15-2016, 05:17 PM   #328  

We are waiting for the service man to come and put in our custom glass in the new garage door. It will be a cathedral style which will match (in shape) what we have on our door. The size won't be the same and it won't have a design on it but will be similar in shape. They put them in from outside so we don't have to be here but we want to be. After that our plan is to go get some groceries. I forgot several things the other day.

I do not have a place in my wireless mouse that holds the sensor device. I just leave it in my computer all the time. My mouse looks like any other mouse except no wire. The sensor device (plugs into USB port) usually comes with the wireless mouse so I would not want to buy a mouse without it. However, perhaps it is possible to buy them separately I don't know.

On batteries....my batteries last quite a while and I'm on my computer off and on all day, every day. I only turn my mouse off if I'm going to be away from the computer a few hours or at night. But I have found I have to buy the better kind. Can't remember right now what they are called but they cost a little more, but you can get them anywhere.

Wouldn't it be fun to be 130# again! I think my perfect weight was probably around 120-130. I have a fairly small frame so much more than that is too much really. I could even weigh less than that and be fine and was for many years. My weight challenge really began after my 5th pregnancy when I was 34 but from age 18-34 I went from 103#-140ish and I gained 24-25# which each pregnancy. My highest pregnancy weight was around 174 I think. That was my last one. I had no problem dropping the 25# but the challenge/struggle and dieting really began then. I realize now if I got down as low as I used to be I'd have a lot of sagging skin so that's why I am aiming for about 140.

I did fairly well on my eating yesterday but last night dh offered me candy he had bought just for me. And of course I ate them. My bs was better than usual this morning. My weight was down another 1/2#, not new pounds though, still just trying to get down to sig weight again. Life is strange sometimes.

Last edited by maryea; 03-15-2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #329  

Good morning everyone,
My doctor visit yesterday went very well. My red blood cell count is still too low but it hasn't changed or gotten any worse so we won't be doing anything more about that unless it does worsen. My BS level is also on the high side but no worse than last time. He told me to watch my sugars. I told him that I don't use sugar for anything at home but I do eat too many carbs. He was quite happy that I've lost weight since my last visit.

Carol that is really too bad that you are allergic to lilacs as they are so beautiful and I love their fragrance. Years ago I had a lilac shrub but had to remove it to put in my double driveway.

Mary I too worry about sagging skin if I lose 25 more lbs. I'm hoping that it won't be too bad but even with another 25 lbs. off I would still be overweight but would look and feel a lot better.

Hi to everyone else and have a good day,
Karrine
Old 03-16-2016, 08:37 AM   #330  

Karrine, many general practitioners don't realize that it isn't only sugar that raises blood sugar. I think when they go to school they touch on a lot of different subjects but don't get into detail about some unless they are going to specialize.

I am also concerned about loose skin after losing weight. That's why I'm only interested in losing no more than maybe 25 lbs. I will be no where near my perfect weight, but that would be enough to greatly improve my blood sugar and blood pressure. I can't afford to have skin surgery, which you have to pay for out of pocket, and too much loose skin would be just as hard to accept as the fat, to me. Since I rarely lose more than 5 lbs, I don't have to worry about that for a while, or maybe never. LOL

One time at work a woman seated near me brought in a big bouquet of lilacs to put on her desk. It was so terrible for me. I actually started to feel that I was going to pass out. I was new, so I didn't speak up, but I was so glad when those flowers died. LOL

Gayle and Mary
, I'll bet that wireless mouse I saw did have the little thingy tucked in somewhere, because it appeared to be brand new in the box. But it didn't appear to be a good one, so it might now have worked well. Oh, well, now I know what to look for in the future. Shouldn't have listened to DH. He's not as smart as he thinks he is. (shhh, don't tell him.)
Closed Thread