Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Default ~Golden Girls~

There is Value in us
There is Power in us
There is Wisdom in us
And Laughter....
We are about Fitness and Quality of Life after 50...
We are about Fun and Friendship after 50...
We are the Golden Girls...
We are a rainbow of unique wonders,
There is love in us.
(poem by Dorothy Holmes)

Tell us a little about your life, family and goals. What keeps you motivated? What is the best thing that's happened to you when you turned 50? 60? 70? Friends laugh, cry and stand by each other, we'll be that to you!
Old 09-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Thank you for the new thread Bobbi ~ Happy Fall to you as well.
Old 09-15-2015, 02:07 PM   #3  

Height: 5' 2"

Bobbie You must check with us now and then to realize how lippy we are.

Gayle Thinking of you as I choose NO arthritis yesterday after so many hours working in the garden, and amazed I'm hardly sore at all. I may have been taking it too often before my Doctor really cautioned me, with my ease of bruises that I need to go some days each week without the Alieve that helps so much.

Actually the hydrolic acid in the sack at my knee is such a good cushion that I truly don't have the pain I did before I began the shots. I'm so fortunate that they give me so much help. Last one June 2, and hopefully I can finish 2015 without having to take the shots again.

Another comfortable day outside and it was a real pleasure carrying the watering cans of Miracle Grow to put on those many, many pots. We really enjoy those annuals that bloom and bloom. We can see some of them out of every window in the house. Love watching the red Miscanthus feathers move with the slightest bit of breeze. In back it is the tall Silver Grass that gives the movement with the breeze.

Reminds me of waves in water of the Mountain Streams we love to fish in.

Called a dear friend in the Hospital and she cheers me up! She is super intelligent and has great humor. I'm always ready to talk with her. She is suffering terribly but never inflicts her pain on any of us. Amazing woman.

Enjoying September, Sandy
Old 09-15-2015, 05:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone, making marinated chicken & veggies tonight. Interested to ask my new doctor about the long-term effects of cutting out dairy & grains. Seems to me that this might be OK for a while, but NOT a good idea forever. Tomorrow, going to lunch & to see Learning to Drive. Has anyone seen it?

Have a nice evening,

Lynn

From Sandy, “Lynn where would you find Marshmallow root? What side effects does it have. I well know the problems with Prevacid from friends.” And, “…I need to go some days each week without the Alieve that helps so much.”

Hi Sandy, I got it from my new doctor, but probably available in health food stores or online. It’s a liquid & I take 3 dropper-fulls in a little water every morning. Doesn’t taste good, but only takes 1 swallow. One of the reasons I want to get rid of the Celebrex (same family as Aleve) is because of the indigestion & esophageal problems it has caused me.

From Karrine, “LadyinWeighting, Hope you enjoyed the arts and crafts show. I would like something like that. Hey - great that you are down another 3 lbs!! Also, good for you in being able to drop some of your meds and that you see good physical benefits and for losing 5 MORE LBS!!!”

Hi Karrine, show is this coming weekend. Looking forward to it. Thank you for the “congrats.” I appreciate the support.

From Carol, Lynn, good for you getting off those meds and feeling so much better.

Hi Carol, I am really anxious to get rid of some more. Thank you for your support. I have depended on you & the other Golden Girls through this process.

From Gayle, “Nobody can force you to have a certain attitude. But life will go so much better if you will simply choose to be positive. When you wake up, choose to be happy. Choose to be grateful for the day.” (Joel Osteen)

Hi Gayle, my DF has a saying that reminds me of this – in the wheels of life, you are either the grease or the sand. I try hard to be the grease as often as I can.

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 09-15-2015 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 AM   #5  

Maryea Thanks for the great words of welcome. I think your idea of eating for health is a good one. Honestly, I think that if we eat healthfully it does not matter if there are 10 extra pounds. I think health is more important. Eating FOR health. So thumbs up.

wannabehealthy Thanks for the welcome. Yes Vermont is a great place to live. As long as people like the cold.
I too have acid. If you want to watch a good video about marshmallow root, or hear about the non prescription things I take that were recommended by the naturopath or my MD, just pm me.

Ladyinweighting Thanks for the welcome. Hope you have a good time in Deerfield.

Glynne Thank you for the welcome. And words of encouragement. Congrats on losing a part of a pound !

Love2garden, thanks for your lovely words They made me smile.
Sounds like you had a great time in the garden. Aren't flowers and plants amazing? Oh i do love them.

Karrine I hope they can figure out the internal bleeding source. And easily correct it. I am SO sorry that's happening to you As for the problem with the bold names, what you are doing looks fine. Perhaps you will start a new trend I am sending good thoughts your way for the physical challenges.

Bobbolink, it seems you are the keeper of the thread thank you for that. And for the words you wrote !

Well, those are my replies from the previous thread. Seeing that it is past 1 in the morning (1:23 to be exact ) I will have to read the posts on this new thread tomorrow.

lost .6 lbs today. And then I decided after PT to go to Trader Joes and get some Turkey Jerky and a 3 oz bag of popchips. Yes, they are not on the diet. So my daily intake out of wack. Increased by about 400 calories and a whole lot of carbs. My weakness is hot chocolate. I will call it what it really is. An addiction I use stevia and cashew milk which is low in calories. AND I use a cocoa powder blend that's low in calories. But I do tend to drink way too much of the stuff. WAY too much. Consequently weight loss is slow. Anyway, I found a hypnosis recording through a thread at 3FC. I am hoping it helps. Today was day 6.

I hope everyone has a great Wednesday doing enjoyable things.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:43 AM   #6  

Hi!

I am happy to be back among the living! I had several more surgeries and then surgeries for the surgeries -- lol! I am adjusting after hernia surgery and the mesh is giving me some pain on and off, but I am trying to do careful and gentle exercise and it really has helped to get in the pool to walk every day. I still am unable to walk far on land so I use a wheelchair, but the water makes everything easier than ever when you are not dealing with the physics of gravity!

I joined this group last July and at the time was recovering from stage one ovarian cancer. Then after having everything removed it weakened the abdominal wall, requiring me to have hernia surgery. Then more c-spine surgery for no reason because I had not been in any sort of accident -- but in two more surgeries I am going to be through all of this. I am going to get well. The physical therapists that come to my home think I am going to make an impressive recovery. I will not have the same body, but I will adapt to the one that has healed and be able to do well.

I put up the most authentic pic that captures me, taken last year with my beautiful little Siamese lilac point and she made it to 16. I am 55 in that pic. I am now 56. I am a composer/guitarist. I studied and lived in Boston/Cambridge for most of my life, but was born in MN, so Hi Bobbolink!!! Wonderful to see a Minnesotan! My group did Keillor, and we are Prairie Home fans! Also, one of the best Ren Faires in the US is in MN and my comedy troupe has enjoyed performing there.

I am a fan of Geneen Roth. She has helped me truly understand food and especially how women relate to food. I am glad to see threads for women my age because in all honesty, I am just not young enough to know everything ... he-he!

Sincerely, Ms Hatcher
Old 09-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 243.50/227.50/190

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Good morning ladies,
I got a pretty good report from the doctor yesterday in that my red blood cell count is still low but hasn't worsen so we are going to wait for another three months to check it again. If it does go any lower than I'll have to have more procedures.
The bad news is my tenant went to the doctor yesterday and it looks like she might have shingles. I feel so bad as she probably got it from me. It is only contagious if you haven't had chicken pox or measles and she doesn't remember if she has had either of them. She is 78 years old so it will be hard on her.

Sandy - your gardens sound to be very beautiful. I enjoy gardening but I don't have as much variety as you have.

Flower - thank you for your comforting words. That hot chocolate drink sounds yummy but perhaps you could try to cut back on the number you have in a day. Let us know if the hypnosis recording works.

Ms. Hatcher - welcome back. Your story about all your surgeries; complications and limited abilities truly makes it difficult to even think about weight loss. You seem to be a very strong person and I wish all the very best for you. P.S. Your picture is beautiful. I need to get a more recent one up for myself and should get a friend to take a new pic of me.

Have a good day everyone,
Karrine
Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 AM   #8  

Ms Hatchling - I'm sorry I spelled your name wrong in my first post and I'm also forgot to say that although it seems to be so very difficult to lose weight under your circumstances I'm sure that one day at a time and not giving up will ultimately show a weight loss.
Good luck to you.
Karrine
Old 09-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Karrine, doctors can't seem to agree whether shingles are contageous or not. When I got them, there were 5 other people at work who had them, but I was around DH constantly, sleeping in the same bed, etc, and he didn't get them. Years later there was a woman in the waiting room of our doctors office who was in extreme pain and we thought she might have shingles. Within a week, DH had them. So, it seems that we got them from other people, but for some reason, no one got them from us. After DH had them I got the shot, because I didn't want to get them again. If a person didn't have chicken pox, they cannot get shingles, but they can get chicken pox from someone who has shingles. I hope your tenant is OK.

Welcome to Ms Hatcher.
Old 09-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

Hello everyone and welcome to Ms Hatcher! I have been keeping busy...shopping for a new entry door..has to be the "right" one as we do not plan on getting another one like most things we are doing on our house these days. We have to have the whole entry area done so it is going to be more expensive than we originally thought but worth it I'm sure. I'm trying to decided between two companies right now. And of course today I am also doing the prep for the procedure tomorrow. Ugh!

Ms Hatcher - So sorry about all your surgeries. As someone who's had several myself I know it's difficult to see a day when it's all over, but it will come. I too notice that my body is never quite the same but you adapt and of course in some ways it is better if it eliminated a problem.

Flower - I think we all have something that we get kind of hooked on. For me it is my pb mocha frappes. I make my own so they aren't as high in calories or carbs as they sound, quite a bit of fat though esp with the pb. I normally add extra fiber and protein powder. I wish I could have one right now! I hope the hynosis tape helps. I have a couple and thought they helped me a little, however I can never get myself to lay down and listen to them regularly. It is very restful though.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #11  

Good morning ladies,

Carol - Thank you for the information on shingles. I guess the information
sheet the doctor handed out is completely correct.

Mary - Good luck for your colonoscopy procedure today. I know it isn't pleasant so I'll be thinking of you. I'm sure you will love your new front entrance once it is finished.

I have new neighbours that moved in during August. I have a semi-detached house so their property joins into mine in the front so I have been cutting their grass for them along with my own to be neighbourly. Yesterday afternoon the man who lives there came over and said he will gladly cut my lawn every week for me starting today. He will need to use my lawnmower as he doesn't have one yet. I was flabbergasted and thanked him telling him that my lawn mower really is getting harder for me to use each year. I offered to pay him but he won't have that so I'll get him a gift at the end of the season. Perhaps a case of beer? I don't know what he likes. I have a snow blower so I'll be able to do a little bit at the end of their driveway & their front sidewalk to reciprocate. They have 3 cars in their driveway so that would stop me from doing too much for them.

That's all my news for today.
Karrine
Old 09-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #12  

Carol - LOL I meant to say the information sheet is NOT completely correct.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:18 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I woke up early this morning, around 6, but I fell back to sleep and didn't get up until 9:15. I was really surprised that I slept that late. I should feel better today.

Karrine, what did the doctor's information sheet say that is different? Don't take what I say as gospel. This is just what I have experienced myself and what I have read online. I am curious as to what the doctor's sheet says.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #14  

Carol - the doctor's sheet was quite simple. That shingles can spread which it did in my case. I got a double dose as it spread on me from my right torso to my left torso. I don't have the sheet anymore but it basically said the only way it can be contagious is if you haven't had chicken pox or measles and approximately how long it lasts. It didn't mention any other potential ways that shingles can affect another person. If you read something on the internet regarding chicken pox it might be something the doctor isn't aware of. I like to go to the Mayo clinic for information and also the web doctor. Regardless, I'm sure you know how terrible it is to go through. I'm going to ask the doctor for the Shingles vaccine next time I go.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #15  

Height: 5' 2"

1hatchlingWELCOME from one who is scared of surgery, your survival is amazing. Hope all this medical stuff is over soon and you can learn how to live in the different kind of way it sounds will be necessary.

Karrine I'm sure you are really letting all you know to get the shingles shot. We certainly have done so. Let us know if you still need to take the shot after having such a severe time with Shingles.

Mary hope you are not completely wiped out. Also that the report is good news for you.

Carol The experiences are more to be believed than someone's "professional" information. So sorry that this is one more medical experience that neither of you needed.

I need to count my blessings, so far, to have had so few issues to complain about.

Today was my "me" day with quiet house as DH took car to shop for oil change, took our daughter to get her eyes checked. She didn't need eyes dialated but knew if she did she couldn't drive. Then they went to have lunch, a long lunch and she was glad to have her Dad to herself. He is always glad to get any of our kids in a 'not in a hurry" time together
Closed Thread