Old 09-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #1  

Default I'm back, more discouraged than ever

Hi:

I can't remember the last time I wrote here. It's a blur after several more surgeries and for the first time in my life, I can't lose weight even when sticking to this diet (from ****). I never knew 1,500 cal a day along with upping my thyroid medication and even joining the Y could just result in not one damn pound lost! I actually have stuck with it this time for over two months and nothing is happening so they are sending me for more tests.

I am hungry. I want to eat a tuna sandwich and even that with diet mayo will not work. They said that after a hysterectomy and oophorectomy (I was stage one ovarian cancer - but free now!) Well, they said that after these surgeries, women can gain weight. I am in such despair and so frazzled. I have been hypothyroid most of my life and they upped my thyroid medication. I was really jumpy for a few weeks, but now I seem to be adjusting, but still ... no weight loss.

Are any of you going through this, too? Is it this hard to lose weight after fifty? Anyway, hi again. I have never posted in this area of the forum and this is where I belong. It used to be so easy for me to lose and keep my weight down, but now ... I just feel hopeless and do not know what to do.

Thanks for listening.
Best to all.
1hatchling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:45 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3"

I felt very discouraged after just adding a new med a year ago July that made me gain 10# so I can imagine now you feel with all you have going on! I was so discouraged that I totally went off my diet...didn't try at all for a few months. Since the first of the year I'm back trying although certainly not perfectly. Right now all I want to do is lose the 10# I gained (still taking the med ) because it made me so mad! It is harder to lose weight as we get older ...I'm 72...but it is possible. At least that's what I'm told. Just keep working on the diet, watch portions sizes..make sure you get plenty protein with each meal, eat lots of veggies, and exercise as much as you can. And the hard one for me...do this consistently every day...I do fine for a while, then start snacking too much esp in the evenings and up my weight goes again or at least I don't lose. Consistency is very important! If you can take fiber, it helps a little to keep you fuller. In my case I also refuse to eat "diet" foods unless I actually like them which is not usual. I'd rather eat a little bit of the real thing than the diet version of most things. But I have to watch it as that little bit will creep up if I am not careful.

Last edited by maryea; 09-21-2015 at 11:36 PM.
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:53 PM   #3  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Eat the fish without the bread and you will lose.
Fish. Fish. Fish. And seafood.
But not fried.
With salad.
Job done.

Last edited by IanG; 09-21-2015 at 10:54 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:15 PM   #4  
Less of a Better Me

I recently had my resting metabolic rate tested. I breahted into a mask and they analyze the gases. My RMR is only 1120 a day. And, I live in a one story house and work from home at a desk and do a lot of sedentary thing. Some days I may only burn about 1300 calories (exercise days are more of course). But, the point is I can't maintain loss on 1500 calories due to my low calorie burn.

It might be worth checking out your RMR and looking at your real calorie burn. And, then figure out how much you can eat. I lost my 61 pounds averaging 1200 calories a day....
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote