Losing weight at 50

You're on Page 32 of 34
Go to
  • Quote: I did it . I lost weight and I am 53 soon to be 54 years old. The first month was a mental/physical struggle as I rid my body of it's craving for sugar/carbs. THe scale was nasty and would not budge. But then at week 5 of being committed to recovery, the weight started to tumble really tumble off. I can be honest and say I went from 167lbs to 119 lbs.
    I have CHANGED my life, my eating the reasons why I over ate and I got rid of my self loathing, my depression has lessened tremendously, my gums stopped bleeding, the sores on my ankles, inner thighs are gone and I feel like teen ager again, but without the pimples.
    You are a whole new woman, Lucinda!!! But with all the practical experience, too! How great is that? Congrats
    Liana
  • Such great inspiration on this thread! I just turned 53 and struggling but you guys offer hope.
  • 55 and not giving up!
    Hello all,
    Just found this thread. I am about 2 weeks new to this 3 chicks community. Since January I have lost 13 lbs, and a few weeks ago, I started an alternative IP style program, which is helping a lot! Looking forward to seeing everyone's progress which is helping stay motivated!
    My weekly weigh in is tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed for some lbs forever gone!
  • Hi Annieway
    I am new to this site, I am 60 and I have some arthritis. I have my sons wedding in a month and want to at least lose a little. What kind of meal plans did you follow?
  • I eat great big wonderful colourful salads with every kind of fresh vegetable thrown in. I top it off with one teaspoon of cashew butter and a dash of amino acids called Dr. Biggs. Or sometimes I used olive oil and sugarless salsa. I eat salads and I drink one spirutein protein shake made with unsweetened almond milk.
  • This is a helpful thread! Thanks for posting everyone.
  • This thread seems to have gone quiet...I've been gone for 3 months, over the last 4 months, I've gained back the last 20 lbs I'd lost. Now I'm working on losing it again.

I've tried "half-hearted" multiple times--but somehow, this time feels different--the way it did when I started out and lost 50. So, I'm back down that path.

I'll be participating in the Beck forum again, too.

I think we can be a great support to each other--if those of us who need that support (and I DO!!) post regularly.

Today, my success was lunch. We went to PF Changs, which I did not choose. Since I knew the night before where we were going, I read the nutritional info on the website, decided what to order based on calories, and only looked at the real menu enough to be sure it was on there. I started out with chopsticks to keep myself eating slowly. I only ate about 1/2-2/3 of my meal, and hardly any rice. I felt fine and satisfied--and pleased that I kept my intake down to what my usual lunch would be if I hadn't gone out.

My daughter and her friend made the salads for dinner tonight--we had sloppy joes (which I measured carefully). DD and her friend made a fruit salad (measured mine) and a side green salad (no measurements except for dressing).

I was afraid that I'd be horribly over due to my lunch out--and I wasn't.

3 days back on track....and tomorrow will make 4.
  • yahoo Bethfromdaytona! I also pre plan when eating at a restaurant is on the radar. It is doable. We don't deprive or deny ourselves. We choose to nourish our bodies, the one body we will ever have, with foods that do us good.
    I am glad you got back on the path towards health. We deserve meaningful purposeful lives, and we deserve to treat ourselves with healthy love.
  • For BethFromDayton -- thank you for posting! I tend to lurk around and read everything, but am so neglectful about actually posting something. I have missed everyone's updates --
    I know exactly what you mean about getting back to where you were. I lost down to around 165 a few years ago, started to get a little self-confidence back -- then the weight crept back on. Pound by sorry pound.
    Now my mind set almost seems to be "why bother?"
    So -- once again, thank you for posting and getting this thread active again!
  • Although I am in maintenance & at goal, just popping in to see how everyone is doing here... Hi everybody! Keep to your healthy eating plans and enjoy the other aspects of your life even more!

Liana
  • I'm at 7 days back on track and feeling confident.

The scale showed a drop, so that's always very nice. If it sticks around a day or two, I'll update my ticker.

I'm going to try the 30 day shred again--I think my daughter and I are going to start it tomorrow!
  • There is a unique exhilaration when a whole week has come and gone and my eating stayed healthy and in control.
    It is as though I have really broken free from the shackles of addiction.
  • Okay.... I am here again!

My story...
    I joined in 2008. Lost 70 lbs. by 2010. Gained most of it back. I started back on the weight loss journey again march 2014. I know posting helped last time so here I am.
  • back Hattie22. I love your pup avatar! We'll all be here to help you with a little extra

Liana
  • Hi and welcome back Hattie! I also lost weight the first time I joined in 2012. But by the Summer of 2013 I had gained it all back plus plus plus.
    This time I am doing things differently. No more calorie counting/portion control. I have admitted to myself and anyone else in earshot that I am a sugar addict and I was quickly descending into alcoholism as a way to get liquid sugar into my system fast. No more. I am now sworn to abstinence. No sugar, no wheat, no simple carbs. Nothing that stimulates an over production of insulin.