3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~January Golden Girls 2nd thread (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/251419-%7E%7Ejanuary-golden-girls-2nd-thread.html)

Bobbolink 01-25-2012 09:25 AM

~~January Golden Girls 2nd thread

2nd thread girls. I'll meet ya all here.

Bobbolink 01-25-2012 09:34 AM

Happy Birthday Rie...wish we could all be there for a birthday bash!:bday2you:
Quote:

Keep me Accountable menu 1134 calories + 51 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Orange yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds,
3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Finished the chicken lentil soup + crisp apple dunked in sweet mustard sauce.

Snack - mock coconut pudding w/sf cool whip and 10 grams dry fiber one

Supper -Venison stroganoff on flatout, ( I skipped the noodles) baked squash, cranberry sauce

Hungry Girl had a Chocolate Turtle cheesecake recipe on today’s email. I made it mainly for DH. I had one small piece with SF cool whip and crushed fiber one on top. DH had his with crushed graham crackers, pecans, cool whip and drizzled with butterscotch syrup as stated in recipe. I picked out the chocolate chips, don’t want a headache. I found something neat about entering the ingredients into Fitday. After I saved the recipe and added it to my menu, I could click on the plus sign by the turtle cheesecake and the list of ingredients drops down. I clicked on the chocolate chips and deleted them out since I didn’t eat them. It worked and lowered the calories!

Woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep so had a bowl of honey nut cheerios and instantly went back to sleep. Works every time.

Wannabehealthy 01-25-2012 09:43 AM

Thanks all for the birthday wishes! We had a little family thing last night. We don't usually make a big deal of birthdays anymore, but my grandson likes the singing and the candles and the CAKE! So we do it for him. He came in and gave me my present. Then he said "Do you have a present for me?" I said "Is it your birthday?" He said "No..." I said, "So you don't get a present!" LOL He was ok with that. I think he was thinking of Christmas. He's such a sweetheart. He wanted to stay overnight until he realized they hadn't brought his blanket.

Rie - Happy Birthday to you, too! I knew we had something in common. Hope you have a great day. It's my visiting nurse's birthday today, too, so we left the balloons up for her.

Gayle - I tried hummus once with crackers and I liked it, so I think I will get some to go with the cucumbers. I am going to eat the cucumbers, seeds and all, because the doc said I no longer have diverticulitis. But I'm still going to stay away from nuts, as I think I may be prone to get it again since I had it once. I'm not taking any chances. Also, after having the colostomy, I have learned to chew more thoroughly and eat slower, and I think that will help. I used to eat the cucumbers with cheese too, and it's pretty tasty that way.

Bobbolink 01-25-2012 09:49 AM

Ooooops Carol Sue, I thought everyone was wishing you happy birthday, then looked on todays birthday list and saw Rie's b'day. Missed yours, sorry. Happy belated b'day.
:bday2you:

Zoe...thought of you when I read this on Dr. Oz's web site. I think you stopped eating them, why?

Quote:

Top your salads with chia seeds; they contain the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan. The tryptophan in chia seeds, like in turkey, raises melatonin and serotonin levels, which promotes stable sleep. With more than twice the tryptophan of turkey, you’ll need just 2 ounces of chia seeds to help you snooze.

retiredone 01-25-2012 09:52 AM

Happy Birthday Carol Sue and Rie!! I just realized there was a birthday thread.

Lucinda, ROFL, at your description of a birthday.

Zoe, love your new avatar.

Rosey, I just love your moose quilt.

Bobbi, I'm (was) a quilter like you. Never considered myself a quilter but made several quilts. Your denim quilt top is beautiful.

Don't think I'm not thinking of the rest of you as I read everything. These are just a few things that stuck in my mind from last reading.

My oven is fixed. DH bought a new element only to find it was too large for my self-cleaning oven. But while he was disconnecting the old element he noticed one of the connecting wires was burned off. He was able to fix that and now everything is working. He took back the new element and I sent a request to Sears for the nearest location for buying/ordering the correct part. We only have a mail order pick up store here.

I forgot to post my eats and exercise yesterday, so here goes.

Quote:

Breakfast: Cream of Wheat with wheat germ and bran, Stevia (trying it out), teaspoon raisins, 2 walnut halves, skim milk, 1/2 smoothie with a big spoonful of ff yogurt

Dinner: Carrot and Onion Quiche, Romaine lettuce with 1 teaspoon dressing, about 8 pieces fried potato

Supper: 1/2 smoothie with large spoonful ff yogurt, 1 cup vegetable soup

Exercise: 11.69 km on exercise bike, 41 minutes

Karen3 01-25-2012 10:01 AM

Morning all....just got back from my echo....gee it would be so nice to know what she saw. Just a hint would help instead have to wait for the office to call. It is a messy test with the jelly but when she pushes hard against my seam it aches. So that's better cause last time it hurt. Best test is I walked the long halls faster today. 6 months ago I barely crawled and had to stop and rest.

You all have asked about the neighborhood dog pack/nasty neighbor....what neighbor?? The people and dogs are missing. Seen the black mostly lab in the front yard twice in a week.....no sight of anything else living there. They must have really blasted the animal control officer for her to call for 2 back up cars.

Happy Birthday belated Carol Sue and Happy Birthday Rie....have urge to sing the Age of Aquarius.....how's that for an earworm of a day! dawning of the day of Aquarius.......

I got a bottle of cocoa butter yesterday. Between winter and these meds my skin is super dry. Haven't used cocoa butter since being preggie. It's wonderful. Even used it on my face and over night skin is better. And no smell!

Thanks Bobbie for the new site...your quilts are really nice, but think a few paint slatters would have added character.

off to bridge....k3

Bobbolink 01-25-2012 11:28 AM

Marie...you'll never guess what just went by our house, a dog sled on wheels pulled by 8 huskies. DH said they looked just like wolves! Hope he turns around and come back. Oh so exciting to see.:carrot:

Karen31 01-25-2012 04:14 PM

I think we could all have a good time in one of these!!!

http://www.ktuu.com/videobeta/724982...-on-the-street

retiredone 01-25-2012 04:43 PM

Karen, I can't see the first video with your cousin's daughter. It says: The URL contained a malformed video ID.

Marie 01-25-2012 05:14 PM

Jenye, I hope you got answers yesterday. I will read further in the posts and hope you let us know.

Rosey, your DH is having a heck of a time. I am glad he brought you flowers.

Carol Sue, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!

And Miss Rie, HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you as well!

Rie, ROFLMAO on your finger salute to my scale. It was a little more behaved this morning but it's still a meanie.

Zoe, hope your drive past quickly and without any winter weather to bog you down.

Bobbi, I seriously thought of printing that HG turtle cheesecake recipe out. It sounded quite tasty. Did you like it? Isn't the dogs and cart cool? If I had more than 2 running huskies I would have bought a cart. Instead I bought a scooter that has the two dogs attached to it. Did I not post those last year? It's a blast and quite a feeling of being out of control.

KarenFL, I hope the nasty neighbors are gone for good. And they take their out of control pups with them.

Not much happening in my world. The sun is currently shining through my window so not having snow/rain is a nice surprise. And it's warm. I love warm.
Marie

Karen31 01-25-2012 05:42 PM

Yes, I'm not sure why it did that-- but it is on the "Prayer Warriors" thread here too and it works fine from there.

glynne 01-25-2012 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Marie ~ LOL ~ at first I didn't get Rie's finger salute (thought she was pointing her finger like a gun at the scale ~ wrong finger ~ DUH) Made me think of a picture then

Karen3 01-25-2012 06:44 PM

marie...not gone just missing or hiding....they will be back....k3

Ashenpond 01-25-2012 06:48 PM

Morning girls ( or evening over there).

Well yesterday was a very interesting experience, the doctor wants me to see a neuro-opthamoligist to find out why I can;t keep my eyes open - I said I would first talk it over with my son who is a doctor and then let him know. Personally, the answer will be yes but I just need a bit more information. Because I was a Registered Nurse I have to know all the in's and outs first. (typical me)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CAROL SUE and RIE.

:bday2you: even if it is belated.

ROSY - you must be doing very well to be able to use a walker now - I use mine in the house but not when I go outside.

CAROL SUE- are english cucumbers like the ones we have here in Australia? I just love cucumber but it makes my husband " burp" so I only buy it occassionally - then it is the Lenanese cucumber.

I love the quilts that everyone is talking about - I went to quilting classes s few years ago and started making them - I just love it.

I know that there are others I should have answered but the eyes keep closing, I will be back again later.

Jenye. :hug:

Bobbolink 01-25-2012 06:52 PM

KarenMo...I couldn't watch the video either, what's up?
KarenFla...a great improvement, slow but sure. As to the paint flecks, I will use them on the small lap quilt for DH.
[QUOTEBest test is I walked the long halls faster today. 6 months ago I barely crawled and had to stop and rest. ][/QUOTE]
Marie...DH loved the turtle cheesecake but then he had the butterscotch syrup and nuts on top. I picked out the chocolate chips, no syrup or nuts and what was left wasn't worth the calories. I won't make again.
Yes, you did post a picture of the two dogs hooked up to the scooter, that's why I thought of you when DH pointed out the 8 dog sled team to Charlie.
Quote:

Bobbi, I seriously thought of printing that HG turtle cheesecake recipe out. It sounded quite tasty. Did you like it? Isn't the dogs and cart cool? If I had more than 2 running huskies I would have bought a cart. Instead I bought a scooter that has the two dogs attached to it. Did I not post those last year?

Karen31 01-25-2012 06:56 PM

I have the video on my facebook too. My cousins daughter is being bullied at school and these girls even hacked into her facebook and gmail account and said a lot of nasty things. They reported it to the school but the school hasn't really done anything. It really is pretty sad. I don't know why it won't post the right link here on this thread. The video is My Story-- Words Hurt.

retiredone 01-25-2012 07:23 PM

Karen31, I did eventually see the video on my facebook page. Kids can be so mean.

Carol Sue, how old is your grandson? He sounds so sweet. Glad you had an enjoyable family birthday.

Karen3, how long will you have to wait for your echo test results? My friend has to have one next month.

Marie, it's warm here, too, today. The bay is even breaking up near the shore. Tomorrow promises to freeze it up again.

Jeyne, a good friend of mine suffers with MS. She has alot of pain in the nerve endings. I hope the doctor can help with your eyes.

Gayle, very funny Charlene cartoon. I think we can all identify with that.

Hi Bobbi, we were posting the same time.

Here are my eats and exercise today.

Quote:

Breakfast: 1 slice Carrot and Onion quiche, 1 small slice ww bread, 1 teaspoon almond butter, 1 tablespoon applesauce, 1/2 smoothie

Dinner: 1 small quesadilla on homemade ww tortilla (cheddar cheese, veggie chicken, black beans, onion, green pepper, salsa), 1 tablespoon low fat sour cream, 1 corn-on-the-cob, shredded lettuce

Supper: 1 slice Carrot and Onion quiche, 1 bite granola bar, 2 handfuls potato chips, 1 bite date square

Exercise: 11:45 km on exercise bike, 42 minutes

deelee10 01-25-2012 07:31 PM

happy birthday to Rie and Carol Sue!
Carol Sue, your story about your sweet grandson made me smile. I still have my 26 year old dear son's blanky.
Hi to everyone else. I am craving the bad stuff like crazy...I've been having some too...Not today yet. WHAT the heck is WRONG with me? - I was doing so well...I'm kind of soothing myself with it. I know I need to find another way to comfort my self. Bubble baths, scented candles, yada, yada, yada. It just doesn't do it for me. The worst time is right before I go to sleep. What do you ladies do? Well, have to go play bridge. I have to make sure to not stop at the drugstore that I drive right past on the way home and pick up any contraband. Maybe I'll try a glass of wine. Less damaging than my preferred contraband. Hope everyone is well.

glynne 01-25-2012 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good evening GG’s,

Well, done with working on the room for today. I got a late start, so haven’t gotten as much done yet as I had hoped, but it is a start.

Jason was here last evening and we visited and watched some TV. He then was using my computer to make an e-mail (says his is slow). So, I was up later than usual visiting him, then tired this morning. The dreary weather didn’t help make me get very productive. I do much better when the sun is shining.

Since I was already late getting going on the room, I caught up with some friends via phone. That is important too.

I think DH is avoiding me. I do acutally want to growl and chew him out. 6:55 pm and he just got home from watching Maddie. He is usually here earlier than that. Jason was here last night ~ DH and DS don’t get along, or should I say ~ DH is the one who can’t get along. He causes such sadness and hurt to Jason and me because of it. Jason was working on a letter on the computer ~ he knew it would take him a while and that I would probably go off to bed before he was done, so he asked if it was ok for him to hang out even after I had gone to bed. I said it was ok with me. He asked me if I would talk to his dad to tell him. So, when I went to bed I told DH that Jason was still here, working on a letter and planned to go home when he was done and to please just leave him alone. DH said ok. I woke up at 5 and had to go to the bathroom. Jason was still working on this letter. I went back to bed. Jason woke me at 6 and said it had taken him longer than he had thought and would it be ok if he slept on the couch. Ok with me. Well, DH woke up before me and found Jason still here and threw a fit ~ made him get up and leave. Jason said it made him feel really bad. The Jerk. I don’t understand what the problem is. I have asked before and I can’t remember what the answer was, except that it makes sense to him, but makes absolutely no sense to me. You would think I had let some scummy awful person in or something. Jason is a nice person, hard working, has held the job he has, going on 10 years. That is not a bad person. He doesn’t spend his money like his dad thinks he should, but he is an adult. Sara doesn’t spend her money like DH thinks she should either, but he doesn’t treat her like that. He has always played favorites with the kids and I guess he is never going to change. Sad ~ all the hurt he causes.
My supper adventure ~ I made a sandwich ~ ham and cheese on wheat bread with a little smear of horse radish sauce. When I visited my daughter Jennifer ~ she had made something to eat and used some horse radish sauce and it was delicious. My dad used to eat it when we were kids, and I didn’t like it, but thought that since Jen had made such a tasty dish with it, that it might taste good on a sandwich and be a nice change. I was telling my mom about it and she warned me that she thought I would find it too strong. I assured her that it was different than the stuff that dad used to use (his was some kind of shredded up stuff) and would be ok. I should have listened to Mom ~ LOL. Now I have a bottle (small) of the stuff that I will probably never use again unless my son-in-law (who likes hot stuff) wants it. If I lived near Dad, I’d give it to him.

In the closet in my sewing room, I used boxes and made kind of like cubby holes to put my various projects and supplies in. There were all these bags with stuff, and every time I wanted something I had to look in several bags before I would find what I was looking for, so today, I went through the bags and tagged them with what was inside, so when searching for a thing it will hopefully be a little easier to find. See picture below ~ it probably looks kind of messy right then, but you get the idea.

Hopefully I will get to bed earlier tonight and get an earlier start on that room tomorrow. Thank you for listening.

Hope you all have a nice evening.

Take care

ladyinweighting 01-25-2012 09:04 PM

RIE

http://caccioppoli.com/Animated%20gi...appy)/0129.gif http://caccioppoli.com/Animated%20gi...appy)/0119.gif

I WISH YOU A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

Lynn

ladyinweighting 01-25-2012 09:09 PM

CAROL SUE

http://caccioppoli.com/Animated%20gi...appy)/0115.gif http://caccioppoli.com/Animated%20gi...appy)/0125.gif

HAVE A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

lYNN

glynne 01-25-2012 09:57 PM

Wow Lynn ~ those are awesome :)

maryea 01-25-2012 11:15 PM

Happy Birthday, Rie!!! ;)

Today seemed like a really good but fast day as I got up late again...I took some pain meds last night which helped me sleep. Dh got up really early to go to his men's breakfast then came back and slept in his recliner in the family room so the house was very quiet and still dark so I slept until almost ten. Then I got a couple phone calls and a text so that got me wide away finally. :D I did some laundry and got a hair cut today...not much else. That was my first haircut in about four months I think..something like that..and I didn't get it cut really short as I usually do. It's about bottom of ear length in front and an inch or so longer in back. It had gotten pretty long and wild looking, LOL so feels much better now. As it grows it gets real wavy and I miss that when it's short but short is easier to care for.

Ashenpond - This year my dh has had a problem with keeping one eye open. The doctor says he had a stroke in the eye (not in brain) and that it should heal in time. Wonder if you could have something like that although having it in both eyes makes me think it's likely something different. We had hoped it would be totally healed by now (started in Aug with double vision then by about Sept it had progressed to the lid closing on him), but while we are very thankful it is much better it is not quite back to normal and causes him to become very tired at times as it can become a strain trying to keep it open esp when doing closeup work. I'm repeating myself here as most people here know about all this but you are new. Hopefully your problem is something that will correct itself quickly.

CarolAnne - it's your birthday too I see...Happy Birthday!! to you too! :D

akrosey49 01-26-2012 12:18 AM

Hi Happy Birthday to Rei and Carol sue :cheer2::bday2you::cheer2: hope your day was as speacial as you both are. i spent the day in 3 diff stores reading labels and shopping for things that my dh can eat. i miss using our game meat. boy have prices gone up for meats in our stores. he had his 1st physical therapy apt today and now hes sore. we had anice talk about how he was feeling last nite. ive been there so can relate but sometimes you just have to get on with it right. glynne im so sry for the conflict with your dh and son that stinks :hug: rosey :wave:

breakfast
coffee

lunch
kasci cereal,few almonds
1/2 c grapes

snack
coffee mocha

dinner
2 slices trukey bacon
1 egg
1/2 of a lite ww sandwhich thin with spray butter and sf jam

Riemontana 01-26-2012 02:15 AM

Hello Goldens!

I jsut want to say thank you for all the birthday wishes. I am thankful to be a part of this wonderful group. I had a really lovely day filled with work, family and friends.

Gayle, I am sorry about your dh. Some folks just get locked into a place and they can be so stubborn. Your dh and son are responsible for their own feelings and actions, but I am sorry that it hurts you.

Well, I just don't have energy for posting more tonight. Another busy day tomorrow. Hugs to all

Rie

lucindaarrowspark 01-26-2012 06:20 AM

Ashenpond.. do you mean you can't physically keep your eyes open, like they weigh a ton or that you are inexplicably tired? Which ever it is I hope the doctors can help you.
My computer decided to creep out on me and I had the darnedest time trying to start her this morning. I think I allowed malware into her.... so if my credit cards start zeroing out on me, I'll know why.
Marie.. I went to check out you blog posts but there were no recent updates!
I'll be busy cooking up a storm today of food I can not eat. Will not eat. But if I don't cook for my family members they will "vote me off the island"
It's a quote from a reality tv show.
I wish all my fellow golden girls health and strength and I will keep your wishes for recovery in my prayers.

ladyinweighting 01-26-2012 09:11 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

Welcome, Lucinda.

To all my GG DF's,

I am in trouble and need some of your wonderful motivational comments.

I have not been planning/shopping/cooking as I need to do to stay on track.

I have been bringing trigger foods (sweets) into the house that I know I will binge on.

I have not been doing my regular gym workouts.

I am gaining weight -duh!

There are only 2 things I can think of - 1 is the UTI symptoms that just will not go away - the other is not checking in here on a regular basis.

I see the Urologist tomorrow - maybe he can help.

Will check back later,

Lynn

glynne 01-26-2012 09:15 AM

Hang in there Lynn ~ sending hugs and positive thoughts your way ~ feel better.

the slim me 01-26-2012 09:20 AM

:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you::bday2you: Hope you had the best Birthday ever Rie!!!

the slim me 01-26-2012 09:21 AM

:bday2you::bday2you::bday2you::bday2you: Happy Birthday Carol Sue. Hope it was filled with fun!

the slim me 01-26-2012 09:42 AM

Good Morning GG's

Worked yesterday and missed the Birthdays. Sorry, Ladies, hope they were great days. Came home last night and DGS was here. We played cards for awhile. He's learning, and really loves it. Had an early Dr. appointment this morning, it was Pap time. Got a script for a mamo while I was there. Got to get everything out of the way for a new year.

Lynn, It's easy to get distracted and revert back to comfort food, especially when you're sick. I know I do that too. I try to heal myself with food. Maybe posting your food every day with make you realize how much, and what you're eating. In the mean time, clean the junk out. If it's there it will get eaten. Anyone you can give it to? I know you can do this Lynn, you are one of the strongest women ever.

Gayle, Not much you can do about DH and DS not getting along, except try to buffer. It's sad to watch though. Wish I was there to give you a big hug!!

Lucinda, What's the occasion with all the cooking? One thing about trying to diet. Food is always around. Getting used to the fact that we can't eat EVERYTHING is annoying. Try to remember the reason you're doing this. And you will be able to eat those things, in moderation, just not right now.

Ashenpond, Are you on any new medication? You need to get those symptoms checked out. I'm assuming you mean you're so tired you can't keep your eyes opened? I was like that when the Dr. put me on Cymbalta for nerve pain in my legs, but lots of anti-depressants, and lots of other meds, can do that. Another nurse in the mix here, welcome.

Rosie, It's like learning how to cook all over again, isn't it? When I was on the bland diet for GERD i realized that everything I liked was what I couldn't eat.

Mary, you just made me realize how over due I was for a hair cut.

Deelee, I have a hard time in the evenings too. I save some of my calories for then. I know I'm going to have something, so I plan for it. Usually it's popcorn or tea and a cookie (found these great cookies for 30 calories each) .

Isabella, Your lunch is going to be my dinner today. I get some good ideas here.

Karen31, There is a no-bullying rule in schools. The school is liable, so make them accountable! I hate bullying. What I really hate is parents that know their kids are doing it and do nothing to stop it. It follows you the rest of your life. It also hurts to feel helpless to protect our kids.

Freda

Daylily 01-26-2012 09:46 AM

Hi everyone! Just jumping in here. Read all your posts and trying to get aquainted. Lynn, I noticed how much you have lost and the little distance you have left. Wow! Keep it up you are an inspiration.
Chris

Riemontana 01-26-2012 10:27 AM

Good Morning Goldens!

Thanks again for all the nice wishes. I had a great day. I have my annual board retreat tonight at a local bistro. I plan to conserve calories all day and then just enjoy myself. A taste of this and that is the plan.....

Lynn, feeling ill is a hard time to keep up your motivation. And, sometimes for no clear reason, one can lose the path of healthy and mindful living. I would never presume to try to give you advice. I feel that I must reassure you of my faith in your strength, your determination, and your sheer ability to care for yourself. Look at all your triumphs and your accomplishments! I hope that the urologist can help you. In the end, I believe that YOU can help you.:hug:

Freda, how old is your card playing dgs? My 5 year old dgs has recently learned this really clever card game. It is so fun to play with them and watch their minds work.

DeeLee, I also plan calories for the evening snack. I enjoy yogurt and/or small portions of cereal with almond milk. Hang in there.

Gayle, hoping things are better.

Rosey, Wishing you good luck on figuring out the food for you and dh. I have faith in you. If anyone can figure out a way to change the menu to meet dietary needs - it is you! I know that it is frustrating and time consuming..... not to mention expensive. How about fish? We save money/calories with frozen fish portions that we buy at sams or costco.

Isabella, I love your menus. Such lovely and creative fair. I am still chuckling over your oven adventures!

Lucinda, good luck with the cooking. Hopefully you can find a way to meet your family's needs and still provide the food you need.

Mary, I need a haircut/highlight too! Of course, it is darned expensive for me so I will wait til next month.

Ashenpond, I hope the dr can help you.

Karen31, bullying is so terrible and speaks to the darkness in all of us. Adults tend to see it as a "right of passage" when it is really a severe problem. That is a really powerful video. I agree, hold the school accountable.

CarolSue, I hope you had a great birthday! And yes, celebrations are often for children. They learn life lessons and things about our culture.

Well, I will check back later today to see how everyone else is doing.... Later.

Rie

Bobbolink 01-26-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Keep me Accountable menu 854 calories + 33 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Orange yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds,
3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Carrot and Squash Curry soup

Supper -Venison Pizza with homemade crust.

Mock coconut pudding w/sf cool whip
Good Morning, I couldn't get on this site thru foxfire this morning, went the internet explorer way. I, who never gets a cold have the start of one.:mad:DH was sick with a cold a few days ago. Yesterday I didn't feel good all day and I wasn't hungry so didn't eat much.
Carol Sue, I'm wondering about the statement from your doctor that said you don't have diverticulitis anymore. How can that happen? I thought once you have those pockets in your colon, you can't get rid of them. I saw some on the screen when I had my last colon checked but they don't bother me yet.
Isabella...how many calories in your carrot and onion quiche?
KarenFla...did your hear about your echo yet?
KarenMo...sorry about the bullies, where is the prayer warrior thread?
Jenye...about 20 years ago I had one eye that was closing on its own, couldn't stop it. Turned out I had Bells Palsy, doc gave me a eye patch and said the side of my face that was paralyzed was from an ear infection from years ago? It healed itself, what did your son think?
Dee...I plan a treat at night like a couple of the other GG's. I'm not sure what kind of plan you're on but working a night time treat into your daily menu works. With me it's a mind game, if I know I can have a treat...I don't always have it. But knowing I can makes a big difference. I was going to have popcorn last night but didn't feel like getting up to make it. But knowing I could have it satiated me.
Gayle...sorry to hear of the friction with DH and DS. Ask your hubby if he wants to be remembered by his son by his unwelcoming attitude toward him. That might make him think. What's all the stuff you have in the bags? I'm a shoe nut, I purchased plastic shoe boxes, took pictures of all my high heeled shoes and pasted the picture on the front of each box so I knew which heels were in there. Sure saved ruffling through all the cardboard boxes they came in. If you purchased clear plastic boxes, you could see what's in them.
Mary...I think we must have gotten our hair cuts at the same time. Dummy me discovered a beauty shop about 2 miles from me, been there 6 years. I've been driving to the outskirts of town for all my appointments, maybe 25-30 miles round trip. This new gal gave me a really good cut too. (Plus 2.00 cheaper!)
Rosey...you said Steve was allergic to moose meat. The last I read of your post, you said all game meat. TRUE? Can taking an allergy tablet work for him and he'll be able to eat it again? I'm sad thinking of all that healthy meat being unused.
Rie...we're thankful that you're a part of this wonderful group of Golden Girls!:grouphug:
Lucinda...someone else asked the question I was going to ask about making special foods for yourself and different for your family. So many recipes can be made calorie friendly by cutting out some of the fats, sugars, etc. Try Hungry Girl for some recipes everyone can eat. My DH eats what I eat except for some dessert. He's a potato kind of guy and I usually make for him and skip it myself, I hate wasting calories on something I'm not real fond of unless it's mashed potatoes. I love mashed potatoes. I used to make the cooked califlower and potatoes together and mashed, those are really good. Have you tried that? Just google the recipe, lots of variations out there.
Freda...I know you were one of the GG's that saved some calories for night time snack. One of my favorites is popcorn, if I'm thinking sweet...I just top the popcorn with kettlecorn seasoning. Have you tried that"
Chris aka daylily...Yes, please jump in. As you can see, we're very gabby. Some of us take notes to keep up and you don't have to address everyone, we don't take offense.
Lynn...I saved you for last because I can feel your pain and bewilderment over all you've gone through medically, losing lots of weight, training for a marathon and then having it all back tracked. I've never met anyone more determined than you and so many obstacles trying to keep you down. Like one of the gals said, you need to keep posting your exercises and accomplishments/ food here. GET THE JUNK FOOD OUT, want the GG's posse to come over armed with garbage bags? You've done it before, you will do it again. That's all I'm going to say on the subject and we'll see you here today or tomorrow with your "you can't keep me down" spirit. Dig your heels in girlfriend!

Bobbolink 01-26-2012 11:58 AM

Isabella, this was on my Hungry Girl email today and I thought of you. I'd never get away with making a meatless burger but you might enjoy this.
Quote:

Bean 'n Veggie PattyCakes
PER SERVING (1/6th of recipe, 1 patty): 161 calories,
3.5g fat, 493mg sodium, 25.5g carbs, 5.5g fiber,
4.5g sugars, 9g protein -- PoinWVPlXVŠ value 4*
Some of the BEST-TASTING meatless patties around. And
no gluten either!

5 cups chopped portabella mushrooms
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp. chopped garlic
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
One 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1/4 cup chopped basil
1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour (like the kind by King Arthur)
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained, patted dry, finely chopped
2 tbsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping (like the kind by Kraft)

Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Add mushrooms,
onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until softened, about 10 minutes. Transfer to
a bowl lined with paper towels.
Place beans, egg substitute, and basil in a blender, and puree until mostly smooth.
Remove paper towels from veggie bowl, and blot away excess moisture. Thoroughly mix
in bean mixture and flour. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes and Parm-style topping. Cover and
refrigerate until cool and set, at least 1 hour.
Evenly divide and form mixture into 6 patties, about 1/2 cup each. If needed, clean skillet.
Re-spray and bring to medium heat. Cook patties for 3 - 4 minutes per side, until firm and
lightly browned, working in batches as needed. (Flip gently so patties keep their shape.)
Enjoy!
MAKES 6 SERVINGS
*The PointsPlusŠ values for these products and/or recipes were calcul

retiredone 01-26-2012 12:17 PM

Deelee, keep the bad stuff out of the house!!! I know because if I have chips in the house I'll eat every last one, including licking the bag. I've been known to search through cupboards and closets looking for a bag of chips and thankfully if they aren't there I can't eat them. Fortunately, I won't get in the car just to buy a bag of chips. The craving usually subsides after a short while. Have you tried a small bowl of cereal before bedtime. I believe some of the GG find this quite effective.

Gayle, loved your little cubbyholes. I like to do things like that too. I'm a bit messy but organized. Horseradish :( . Don't like that either. So sorry about the conflict between your DS and DH. I understand how hurt you can be. I'll keep them and you in my prayers. They really need to sit down together with a counselor, but that's not likely to happen, is it?

Mary, I need a haircut myself. I've resorted to wearing a hairband around the house to keep the hair out of my eyes (drives me crazy). I'm of the mind I'd like to grow my bangs but I suspect as soon as the hair is long enough I'll get it trimmed and styled and like it for a month and then get it cut short again. I have ADHD hair, lol. My hair gets a bit wavy long, too.

Rosey, I don't eat meat but every once and a while I'll pick up a package of chicken for my MIL and I'm always blown away with the prices. No wonder some people eat so poorly. Will you continue to eat the game meat? You're a good wife, Rosey.

Lucinda, are the other members of your family vegan, like you? Everyone seems to be interested in what you are cooking differently for your family, lol. We are such an inquisitive group. BTW, we won't "vote you off the island." :D

Hi Lynn. I've sensed you have not been yourself lately. Just something about your posts. You're worried about your health and that can throw a body out of kilter. Don't worry about the weight right now. Just make sure you get better and then you can tackle that again. You were one of the first persons I met on 3FC and you have been a great inspiration and help to me over the past few years (even if you didn't know it). You really know what you have to do but I think a little encouragement to do it is what you're looking for today. You know we're all here for you, Chickie. Just keep checking in and we'll help all we can. :hug::hug:

Freda, glad I can be of some help in planning your menus. :)

Welcome Chris/Daylily. Glad you decided to join us. Can't wait to hear from you again.

Rie, hope you'll have a great night at the board retreat. Sounds like you've got everything under control. BTW, everything's a "Go" with the oven, lol.

Bobbi, I put the ingredients for the Carrot Quiche into Fitday and with the modifications it came out to approximately 250 calories for 1/8 of a 9-inch pie. I made my own crust with a scant cup of flour and about 1/4 cup soft margarine. I try to keep the crust thin. It's not the flakiest crust because of the small amount of fat but it does the trick when on a diet. Just noticed the mushroom burger you posted. Mushroom burgers are da bomb!

Well, I'm off to trim MIL's hair. She got a perm yesterday and doesn't like her hair. She says it's dry on the tips but it probably isn't but I'll placate her and make a few snips with the scissors. She's a hard woman to please, lol. I never disagree with her and humor her unless it's a matter of life and death. That way she's happy with me and she listens to me better than her sons and daughters. (At least that's what they all say.) Whenever they want her to do something they get me to ask her. I think the problem is they tell her she has to do whatever needs to be done and she digs in her heels and says NO. She doesn't want anyone telling her what to do. I'll just bring up the subject casually and suggest what I'd do but tell her that's up to her if she wants to do it. Works almost every time--"innocent as a dove, wise as a serpent."

I'll be back with my menu later on.

Be good.

Marie 01-26-2012 12:21 PM

Gayle, too funny on the cartoon. About 4 years ago a poster on another thread posted the cartoon. I loved it so much that I printed it out on card stock and have it tacked to my bathroom wall by the scale. I recently added Rie's "You're just a little husky" picture too. Hard to say too mad at the scale with to fun pictures.

KarenFL, bummer. I hoped maybe the flew the coop permanently.

Jenye, I think it makes sense to talk with your son about the problem but seeing a specialist makes much sense as well.

KarenMO, cyber bullying is illegal and if the school doesn't do anything, have your cousin make an appointment with the superintendent. I've worked with many supts over the years and they do not like (in any way, shape or form) bad publicity. Then the next step is to take it to a school board meeting during public comments with the comment being your cousin will be going to the police next. Please, please make sure that your cousin follows through.

OK Gayle, I believe the GG squad needs to come and whack your husband. I agree with your statement The Jerk. I have other descriptions as well. Arrogant, know it all pig comes to mind.

Lynn, wowza on Rie's b-day greetings. Very cool. And Carol Sue's as well.

Rosey, after years of reading ingredient list, I have found that what they add to food is mind-boggling. Also you will get very quick to pick out the soy in the list. Nearly jumps out of the itsy-bitsy teeny weeny print.

Rie, glad you have a nice, wonderful b-day.

Lucinda, I'm lazy.
:) I plan to update my blog again. Best plans just keep going awry. Our group here has gotten so big that it takes way longer to read and respond.

Lynn, one thing after knowing you coming up on a year is that you seem very goal oriented. You were doing the
:angel: track while training for your half marathon. You are a very focused woman and perhaps you need to find a focus (5K for a charity - I'd sponsor you again in a heartbeat because I have the utmost faith you'd do a great job). ALSO, I asked my friend with the UTI symptoms that aren't a UTI what the syndrome was called and she told me it is Interstitial Cystitis. Google it and see what you think. After the diagnosis, she started eating based on the food lists that don't acerbate it and she said she's had a lot of relief. Also, her dr. gave her a prescription that helped calm the bladder/urethra nerves. I can asked her the name of the med if you'd like.

Freda, I love "Food is always around. Getting used to the fact that we can't eat EVERYTHING is annoying." So perfectly said.

Hi Chris. It takes a while to get to know us all but we're glad to have you.

Bobbi, I'll answer the question you asked Rosey about using an allergy med and eat the foods her DH is allergic to. No way, no how. You never know when a mild allergic reaction will change to life threatening. She'd need to make sure he has an Epi-pen and the phone handy to call 911. Way too risky. And the Epi-pen could cause a heart attack with the rush it gives to the heart. Too risky. At least that's my learned opinion.

OK, I must get back to work as it is knee deep again. Love you all! And :wave: to all that I missed.

Marie

deelee10 01-26-2012 12:36 PM

Hi Golden Girls. I think every single one of you is wonderful. Thanks for the late night suggestions. Plan a snack - that's exactly what I need to do. I haven't had time the past few days to come on site for very long. I want to read more thoroughly. I also have to get my hair done. Long process, I get highlights and a base then a cut.
I'm not on Facebook so I didn't see the bullying incident but I think it's disgraceful.
I'll be back later - Welcome newbies!

Just saw what Marie wrote - she is exactly right. go to superintendent and insist the offenders parents are brought in - not the babysitter, not the nanny, etc. Sometimes the parents are actually horrified that their child would do such a thing. But even if they don't think it's a big deal - they don't like having to take a day off work. Hugs to you and grandson.

Karen31 01-26-2012 02:01 PM

Hello-- just got back from the dentist so I haven't taken time to read the posts here. But I did notice that Freda wanted to see if I could repost that video here. Let me try this link and see if it works.
http://youtu.be/wmKN4WSnQ4I

Also Bobbi you can go to the Prayer Warriors thread here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/fait...-2012-a-3.html

beesparkle 01-26-2012 02:11 PM

Hello
I am new here. Looks like a nice group of ladies.