Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #346  

Karen 31 Congrats on the new juicier. We have used ours twice so far.

I think everyone of them must be different, ours you are suppose to put whole leaf greens in, like kale and get this we even put a whole raw sweet potato in it, shredded it right up. that amazed me.

And I love the ideas for the pulp I will have to start saving it. So, far it tastes wonderful and the only fruit we are using is grapes and granny smith apples. I am going to look into the book you mentioned.

The juice will never replace my veggies, but it is something different and the plus side, my DH is drinking it, and he eats very little veggies.

Let me know how it goes for you. Excuse me, but I find this exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Hello everyone! It has been kind of a strange day... Our sewer backed up downstairs, not bad because we caught it before it was everywhere... but Tim rented a snake and got it taken care of this afternoon. Took about 4 hours to break through the "clog of roots" but all better now! $45 for renting the snake was a lot better than paying a plumber to come out!

Since I couldn't run any water until he was done with that I started cleaning and vacuuming in the living room. Moved the couches and my goodness I think there must have been at least one more pomeranian under the one couch!! LOL!

I got an email that my juicer was in at Walmart so went and got it. Chickadee, I just picked it up a couple hours ago and it is still in the box! I had to get supper done and get the dishes going in the dishwasher before I would even let myself open the box!! NowI have looked at it and been looking at some of the books that came with it. It is the Jack LaLane one and I already have a question..... Can you juice frozen strawberries in it? Or would it be better to do them separate. I have heard some say that you don't want to do strawberries in it... I'm so confused! So I will be looking for some recipes too. I may get the book "The Juice Lady" I plan to see what the juicing thread has to say here too.

Well, think I will do a little more research on this juicer and maybe at least get it set up and washed and ready to use.

Take care everyone.

Last edited by chickadeee55; 01-18-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #347  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

I just finished the first week of my 3-week course. One whiner, the rest are fine.

Take care,

Lynn
Old 01-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #348  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

You know Karen 31, the juxtaposition of the new juicer and the sewer backing up is enough to quell my appetite. So uh...thanks!
We have not had any snow here in the Newyork Metropolitan region since Halloween. When we had quite a storm, no school no power the works.
Is quell the word I wanted to use? maybe quench or squash? anybody know if I am searching for a meaning that doesn't exist?
Old 01-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #349  

S/C/G: 0/37/35-50 lbs lost

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. Did make it to gym again - day 5. I was not very busy the past week - it's not always like going to be like this. But I'm trying to make it a priority.

Rie - You had a very bad day. Sounds like you have a demanding, important job. I was in social services a while ago. The actual work can be rewarding and draining. The most annoying part for me was the administrators and other types that can be shortsighted, petty and not supportive of the important work you're trying to do. Not your fault about the computer. Ignore him - at least in your mind. BTW - I was feeling a bit blue this morning, wasn't sure why - read your post and realized I woke up from a bad dream this morning too and I think that affected me. I'm counting my blessings that I didn't fall out of bed...I hope you had a much better day today
Karen 31 (I'm sure I'm going to get the Karens mixed up for a while) - Sewer back up - very bad thing. So great you caught it early and your DH could fix it. Ever see the Tom Hanks movie "The Money Pit?" The plumber pulled up in a Jaguar and asked HIM for references! Great movie.
Jess - LOVE the Gibson quote.
Karen 3 - I remember when the Colts moved. Since ds now lives in Maryland and the Ravens won I'm thinking of adopting them for the remainder of the season.
Gayle - I get the blues too. Bio HRT helped a lot but not a total cure. Good to have nice kids. I wouldn't trade my boys but I sure wish I had a daughter.
Oh Rosey and Carol Sue - you sure made me lol about the thong.
Rosey - you're DH very lucky to have you. Dealing with a cranky person - and still wanting to get sexy underwear - you sure are a nice person. Hope your DH gets better soon.
Well, I actually have to go play bridge - no snacks at this one thank goodness. Playing tomorrow and will be lots of food. And people will harass me about not eating any of the junk. Does anyone say to an alcoholic, "You're not going to have any of that fabulous wine? You're sober enough. Just a little won't hurt you." Hope everyone had a great day.

Last edited by deelee10; 01-18-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:43 PM   #350  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

Evening quicky....misquoting a famous Baltimoron...Never the Ravens never more.
Not misspelled that what people on the Eastern Shore called them.

Rie...lania is a screened in back porch. Read your morning and wanted to crawl under your bed.

Played rotten bridge today. Nothing I did worked. My new shower control came apart and had to get the boys back in to stop the leak.

Read Karen's day and between the pipe snaking yucks decided to crawl back under Rie's bed. All in all was a day I should have stayed in bed.

Lucinda...you quell your appetite quench your thirst and squash a bug, i think.

Ole jelly belly here needs a quick cry or a good argument or go pound nails to relieve some stress.....grumbling from the south....k3
Old 01-18-2012, 10:30 PM   #351  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello-- just quick post here tonight. I tried the juicer tonight and didn't like it at all!! I went to the store and bought $18 of fresh produce to use in it. I really tried to make a nice, good tasting veggie juice and it was just plain YUCKY!! We each drank our glass though. But I couldn't get it washed up, dried and re-boxed and back to the store fast enough!!! Not what I'm looking for for sure! Anyway, after we got that done we stopped at Subway and enjoyed a oven grilled chicken sub! SO MUCH BETTER!! That was my experience with the juicer that I had been wanting for over a year... I think I need to find some nice smoothie recipes that I can use in my blender for when I want something like that. In the meantime, me and slimfast will get along just fine.

CarolSue, I think you have got me mixed up with Karen3--- But sorry to hear that you have had those medical problems too.

Karen I hope you are feeling much better. We just don't heal as quickly as we used to.... darn it!

Well, I still have some laundry to get finished and it is already 9:30-- gosh I didn't think it was that late!! Good grief this day went fast!!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #352  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Not much time tonight to post. Got out of work late again tonight ~ only by an hour, but the evening is short on a regular night ~ being late eats up what little there is of it.

Sorry for all the bad days going around. Rie wow ~ hope it gets better. K3 ~ now you are the one needing a hug instead of me. My boss said she didn't have such a good day ~ maybe there are some funky vibes in the universe that are affecting everyone all at once.

One more day of work then a day off.

I was feeling kind of irritated with my dad, and like a bad kid because he was kind of irritated too and I was happy about it. Mom likes to watch American Idol, but now with her Alzheimers, she doesn't remember when it is on. Dad takes advantage of that (because he doesn't like it) and doesn't turn it on because she doesn't remember and ask for it. (He controls the remote and watches news just about 24/7). Last year, I would call her every night it was on and remind her, and he half joking and half not ~ growled at me bacause I did that. He was hoping to slip by without having to be tortured with that. Tonight when I called, he had turned it on for her already and I thanked him for letting mom watch it. He had to go and make one of his "oscar the grouch" comments and said that he had to turn his hearing aid down because he "can't stand that stuff".

Did my little walk am and pm. Have eaten right day 3. Hope on my day off I can behave myself with the food. I fall apart a little bit when I don't have my usual routine.

Ok, hope you all rest well.

Night night
Old 01-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #353  

Hi everyone.. a better day for me. dh wasnt as cranky after i told him to "grow up" and suck it up . sheesh its -25 below tonight i.m all bundeled up. hope your day was great too rosey

breakfast
coffee

lunch
greek yogurt
1/2 banana

dinner
shrimp and cocktail sauce
green salad

snack
1/4 c almonds
mocha smoothie
Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #354  
kosherveganchick

S/C/G: 178/112/108

glynne-- great big hugs to you. It is so stressful to be worried about your parents. Don't you wish you could get a nanny-cam and monitor what goes on in there?
karen 31- I am sorry the juicer was a dissapointment. Oh well. your smart for returning it. No use having an unloved appliance take up counter space.
karen 3- thank you for helping me with my vocabulary. I am impressed that you play bridge. I am still waiting for a friend to teach me how to play.
akrosey49 are you calorie counting? it looks like you might be like me, trying to keep the intake around 900.
i am not sure who asked me but passover this year is april 6th.
it is always a challenge to keep slim and keep on track for that holiday because it is so food centric.
anyway I have been merticulous about eating healthy, abstaining from sugar and avoiding gluten.
thank you ladies for keeping me honest with myself.

Last edited by lucindaarrowspark; 01-19-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #355  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Yesterday I went to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram. The tech said everything looked good, no change from last time, but I won't really know until the doctor has a chance to look at it.

Today I go to the surgeon. I sure hope I get to see him today. I am going to ask about the antibiotic being the most agressive form of treatment. I don't know if it's my imagination, but I seem to feel a little better. The nurse said there is no improvement in the color and amount of secretions, but it has only been 3 days on the Cipro. I would think by the time I get to day 5 there should be some visible improvement. I have to take it for 10 days. My pain level is down considerably.

Karen31 - Yes, I probably mixed you up with Karen 3. I do not wear my glasses like I should and I think I see the 3 and miss the 1.

I was sitting here quietly reading everyone's comments about the juicer and didn't want to speak up until you said you returned yours! LOL DH bought a juicer a couple years ago. He was really into it for a while, but I didn't like it. I just couldn't see putting all those fruits and veggies in there and getting this little glass of juice. I would rather have been eating the fruits and veggies. It's in the attic now and he talks about getting it back out, but so far he hasn't. It just wasn't for me, either.

Marie - I think DH just doesn't realize what the thongs are when he sees them in the laundry. I think I will wait until I get rid of a little more of my belly hang to try wearing them. He is very modest. Once when we first started dating we were going to a Christmas party and I was wearing a white jumpsuit. (Don't laugh...it was the 70's!!) You know how white pants are. He said to me "I can see your underwear through that." Very seriously I said "Do you think I should take them off?" That was the end of the conversation. LOL I never worry about panty lines. I figure if people can see panty lines they know I'm wearing them. There was a girl at work who never wore them. One day her pants ripped in the back and you could see her cheek sticking out! She put a piece of duct tape over the hole. LOL
Old 01-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #356  

Good Morning GG's

That old weather man is predicting a snow storm today and this time he may just hit it. Keep predicting snow in Jan. and sooner or later it will snow. But this time it's already snowing, big beautiful flakes. DGS saw the Dr. yesterday and it was his septum. The ENT did decide not to do anything at this time because he said it could totally distort his face/nose if he did anything before his growth spurt. And what was that deleating the word out I said yesterday? It was only (******) stunt the growth.

Carol Sue, Wishing you good luck at the surgeons today.

Lucinda, you sound determined and are doing well. We'll be seeing less of you really soon.

Rosie, ha! Sounds like you handled your DH's bad mood really well. Men get really cranky when they are sick. We women are just supposed to go on and do what we always do and stay bright and cheerful.

Gayle, Glad you called mom to remind her to watch her progran. I'm sure she gets a little sick of watching your dad's shows all the time too.

Karen31, I like the concept of a juicer, but I had much rather eat my food. It takes so many fruits/vegetables to make a glass of juice and you don't get the pulp, which is usually the most neutritious part. Are you going to buy another juicer when you take that one back?

Dee. you and Karenfl are our bridge players. A very dedicated lot. And Karen used to make all that yummy food at the bridge clubs.

Lynn, One out of an entire class isn't too bad, is it? Said from the whinners viewpoint.

Hi Chickey, I must have missed the uses for the pulp. I'll have to go back and check the posts. I do like the idea of using it though. Lot of good stuff in there.

Last edited by the slim me; 01-19-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #357  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Quote:
Wednesday’s Keep me Accountable menu 811 calories + 46 grams fiber

Breakfast - Fiber One, Caramel yogurt , Flax & Chia seeds, 3oz. Chunky Cinnamon applesauce

Lunch- Butternut Apple soup

Supper- beef hamburger, light bun, 57 sauce, whole can of green beans. Walmart’s produce gal was busy marking down 93% ground beef, saving $1.37 per package. I purchased 4 one pound packages, froze 3 of them. We’re so spoiled with our lean game meat, I was a happy camper to find such a great price on the ground beef.

1/2 serving Cinnamon Crunch Cereal, dry (my carob pudding was waiting for me but the need to eat something crunchy for my after supper snack was just too great.)
Bedtime: Fiber One + 1/4 cup skim milk I wasn't hungry but need to get my fiber up for the day. The scale thanked me this morning, under 130 today.
Good Morning!
Freda...I agree about varying my calories to get off my plateau. The scale finally moved after a 11 day plateau hovering at 130. It didn't move much (129.8) I'll wait a few days before moving my ticker. BTW, that was me congratulating you about making your goal and being back to 115.
Rosey...it was 25 below zero in our area last night too, that's more like are usual winters, not the 50 degree weather we had a couple weeks ago.
I'll be back later to read all the post, just wanted to get my menu in for now.

Last edited by Bobbolink; 01-19-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #358  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen31 View Post
Hello-- just quick post here tonight. I tried the juicer tonight and didn't like it at all!! I went to the store and bought $18 of fresh produce to use in it. I really tried to make a nice, good tasting veggie juice and it was just plain YUCKY!! We each drank our glass though. But I couldn't get it washed up, dried and re-boxed and back to the store fast enough!!! Not what I'm looking for for sure! Anyway, after we got that done we stopped at Subway and enjoyed a oven grilled chicken sub! SO MUCH BETTER!! That was my experience with the juicer that I had been wanting for over a year... I think I need to find some nice smoothie recipes that I can use in my blender for when I want something like that. In the meantime, me and slimfast will get along just fine.
Hi Karen,

I have 2 juicers in my garage. One keeps in the pulp, the other gets rid of it. Too much trouble, too much clean-up. I buy V-8 when I want juice.

Lynn
Old 01-19-2012, 10:05 AM   #359  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good morning GG's,

One more day to go. Struggling with myself here ~ know I should do my walk, but tired, it is dreary outside ~ not making me want to do it much. We'll see what happens.

Hope you all have a good day ~ off to work.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #360  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I've filled in the cracks on my face, had breakfast and back to the Golden Girls to post some more. I'm hungry for fried chicken, not real fried chicken. I haven't had that in years, last time we had KFC on a picnic, I tried to nibble on the crunchy outside but the actual skin nauseated me. YUK! We had bad luck with our vegetable garden last summer, lots of butternut and acorn squash, very few tomatoes. I think we had too many hot days and not enough rainfall. Anyway, we have a large upright freezer for all the garden vegetables and a chest freezer for game meat, other meats, chicken and freezer foods. I cleaned out our vegetable freezer yesterday since it was only 1/2 full and put it all in the chest freezer. One less expense on the electricity bill. While I was digging around in there, I found a package of panko crumbs. Anybody use those? That's what made me hungry for fried chicken aka baked chicken.
Donna...what are you talking about? The digital thingie to locate the proper placement of the prescription on the glasses?
Isabella...I thought of you yesterday at the grocery store. I purchased a bag of lentils and will try some soup after my butternut apple soup is gone. Do you have any low calories soup recipes you'd like to share?
Rosey...I'm curious too about your calories, do you keep track?
Lucinda...I was thinking the same thing, as you can see I just asked rosey.
Quote:
rosey49 are you calorie counting? it looks like you might be like me, trying to keep the intake around 900.
KarenMo...Oh my dear, how I wanted to tell you not to buy a juicer. But for once I kept my opinion to myself. No offense to those that like a juicer but I can't imagine drinking my calories. We suppose to savor every bite, roll the food around in our mouths and feel the texture, before swallowing it. Make your meal last at least 20 minutes instead of 3 gulps of juice down the hatch and it's gone.
Lynn...one whiner is great, how many in your classes? How's the battle with food coming along. If I had a juicer, they'd be in storage also. Next rummage sale, right?
KarenFla.... Crying ruins your eye make-up and leaves puffy red eyes, go for the nail and hammer. Grumbling is good, when we hear others are having a bad day, our day doesn't look so bad.
Quote:
Ole jelly belly here needs a quick cry or a good argument or go pound nails to relieve some stress.....grumbling from the south....k3

Marie.....so why do you need reading glasses?
Quote:
Lasik surgery and swear I shouldn't need to now wear glasses for reading. Phooey
Freda...I was thinking of you when I posted my menu and wondering about Chan's nose. It was bad enough we worried about our kids but now grand kids too. My youngest gs turned 14 today and he's the hockey goalie...ask me if I worry about him? No brainer, I don't know what's worse, getting crashed into on the playing field or waiting for a zillion mile an hour hockey puck coming at you throughout the whole game. I hate it.! I agree about the pulp being the most nutritious plus it keeps you full.
Quote:
both got swollen noses and black eyes, but Chan's didn't go down.It takes so many fruits/vegetables to make a glass of juice and you don't get the pulp, which is usually the most neutritious part

Carol Sue...Let us know, you always stay so positive!
Quote:
Yesterday I went to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram. The tech said everything looked good,
Rie...funny you fell out of bed the same night my DH did. He was dreaming about when he was a kid and he punched his friend in the nose, fell out of bed while dreaming. Great answer to the officer, you go girl!
Quote:
Excuse me while I whine about my day…I woke with a bad dream, turned over, fell out of bed and landed face down.He threatened to arrest me for “obstructing justice”. I gave him my address and told him I could use the rest

Dee...We eat at 4:00 every afternoon, then have a treat around 8. I hadn't thought about being labeled the old crowd. Now that I think about it, very funny. I'm thinking Jerry Seinfelt episodes about his parents getting to the restaurant for the early bird specials. I also found a jar of Psyllium husk flakes in the freezer which I hated. Maybe I can gradually dump a few into soups to get rid of them. Well said on people forcing food on you when you're on a diet program.
Quote:
I don't care if I've turned into the old crowd - it's healthier to eat at 4:30! have you ever tried psyllium husk caps Does anyone say to an alcoholic, "You're not going to have any of that fabulous wine? You're sober enough. Just a little won't hurt you." Hope everyone had a great day.
Gayle...get on out there for your walk, you'll feel better afterwards. I was just going to comment on your dedication and hoping you'll see the scale singing to you.
Quote:
Did my little walk am and pm. Have eaten right day 3. Hope on my day off I can behave myself with the food.
I think my hot milk has cooled down enough to make my homemade yogurt...have a great day.
Closed Thread