Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 209/157.5/135

Height: 5'1"

Hope everyone had a great weekend. I was very busy with decorating and cleaning. Had an impromtu candlelight dinner yesterday as our power went out for 2 hrs. Thankfully we have a gas stove so were able to cook dinner and started watching a movie on the laptop as I had just finished charging it. It was amusing to be doing everything by candlelight. I had just finished pulling out my Christmas candles, so knew exactly where the emergency candles were so it made it easy when the power went out. That is the first time it has gone out other than just a quick flash. We live right on the edge of a small city and half of the town was out. Glad they got it fixed quickly.

Hope everyone has a great week coming up.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM   #92  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Just a quick post this morning.. haven't even gone and read any of the posts. I was up almost all night long with this "BUG" coughing all night. Tomorrow it will be a week since i started this. Got out Tims nebulizer this morning and started breathing treatments to break up the congestion. Will give that a try for a couple days and see how that goes.

Sissy is still not using her leg... she goes to see her DR. at 3:20 this afternoon. I wonder if I could get a "family plan" there!!!! LOL!! I will let you know what the Dr. says about her.

It is only 27 degrees here today so if it wasn't for taking her to the vet we would be under the blanket on the couch all day!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:19 PM   #93  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

It's Monday again. To all you retired chickies, I'm envious. The weekend was busy and productive. Yesterday I watched/listened to two football games. Happy to report the nail biting Packer's game ended victoriously. That was good. It wasn't on local TV here os I listened on Sirius radio and worked on more Christmas stained glass. Two presents we were going to get gift cards for got switched to stained glass as it is literally free for me. After Blizzie's vet bill with the probability of more bills to come, I need to slash my gift budget. Anyway, I got lots done. All the pieces are cut out and ground (to exact shape) and now it is on to copper foiling each piece. I did a few pieces before work this morning. I'm hoping to have one done so I can stick in the computer box when I ship my mom's computer back to her. BTW, her computer is fixed and rebuilt. I'm waiting for the memory and battery we bought. Both should be here on Wednesday and off it will go. Hopefully with a Christmas gift stuck inside. Cheap Marie.

Red, you made me go back and read what I wrote that was tough words. And without a doubt, if cigs and food are your only naughties, you are definitely not doing so bad.

Mary, yes, Saturday was fun with DGD and The Boss Bruce. Sadly DGD went home and I turned off Bruce. DH doesn't like Bruce (perhaps because I drool). I totally agree it is scary when our DHs tell us they're getting old. I joke about it but it's scary when they mean it.

Gayle, I'm glad the scrub top is done. You'll look festive! And way to go on losing a pound. That's nearly unheard of during the holidays.

OK, I'm getting the idea Isabella goes to her son's and doesn't visit here. Can someone fill me in on her trips??? I understand she was gone a while and scared the daylights out of you all. Regardless, safe travels Isabella!

Carol Sue, I hope this week flies by with as little stress as possible. Get yourself in a Zenlike place and be ready for the surgery that will set you free from the bag. When I was having surgery (referred to below) a couple years ago, the morning right before, I sat watching the traffic and was happy with my life. I told DH that if the worst happens, I've had a great life. And to take damn good care of my dogs! On your surgery, since you'll be in the hospital 10 days, can you let someone know to let us know how the surgery went and how you are? BTW, I'd be royally pissed off if my DH made a snarky comment about eating an egg and clogged arteries. It isn't like you didn't think about your choice.

Donna, Blizzie and Kai send howls back to SamCat, but quietly since they wouldn't want to scare him. Kai is being her usually impish self and is adorable. I love Sasha and Kody with all my heart, but when my souldog Blizzie leaves for the rainbow bridge, I'm pretty sure my Kai is the one that will get me through it. At this point, the bloodwork on Blizzie showed concern but it could be due to nearly a decade long use of Rimadyl. It could also be cancer. I'll hear about the biopsy late this week. I will be posting the news as soon as I hear. Of course unless I can't see through tears. Then it might take a while. I did fix my mom's computer and it's waiting for upgrades. Viruses can kill the 0 (zero) sector on a hard drive but you'd know instantly if that happened. It's dead and buried. Never to work again. If it's still working, it should be able to be formatted and the OS re-installed. However, there could be bad sectors on the hard drive and a new HD bought. They truly are cheap these days. So did you actually read all that or go blah, blah, blah like you said you do when tech talk starts?

Chickadee, if I send you my address, will you send me a Christmas card. I love the snowflakes. They are so beautiful! And I never lived in WI but I graduated from the University of Wisconsin system. I lived in Duluth and went to UWS. So...I just learned that Oregon is playing the Badgers in the Rose Bowl. Who to cheer for??? The Badgers of course! Glad to hear your a cheesehead. I did spend a lot of time at my parents cabin in Hayward. My favorite jewelry store in the world is High Ho Jewelers. I'm wearing one of their earrings today. They handcraft the coolest stuff.

Zoe, isn't it amazing what has become of the teen/twenty year olds. Their "evolution" is not pretty. I pretty much support the Occupiers but... many are "protesting" just to be cool. And the escalated violence is nasty. Having been in one nasty traffic mess that was holding up traffic near a hospital, I think it was unsafe and wanted the police to make them go away. If an ambulance needed to get through, it won't have been possible. Protesting with care given to your fellow human being gets my support every time. There's a lot of these groups that don't care about the ripple effect their actions can cause. Off my soapbox now.

Rie, I know I mentioned I had plastic surgery after losing the weighta couple times on this thread but just in passing. This time I'll go into more detail. I had a tummy tuck when I reached goal and the arms surgery (brachioplasty). The arm scars are yucky and noticeable (less two years later though). Regardless, I wouldn't trade the surgery for anything. My arms had no fat in them but the skin was like crepe paper draping to my elbows. Looking at them while I was on the elliptical was nauseating. I couldn't buy my size clothing because my arm skin wouldn't fit comfortably. Same with the tummy tuck. Crepey skin at my belly button. And getting pants that fit the rest of me and the stomach wasn't possible. I did the surgeries through medical tourism and had it done in Cancun. I also had a mini lower face lift to tighten the turkey waddle under my chin because I wouldn't look in a mirrow. Now, I have very dry, sensative skin and that added to the reason my skin didn't shrink in the least when I lost weight. I spent $8500 on the surgeries and then the airfare and pre-surgery vacation. Best money I spent. With the exception of Lasik surgery a decade ago. In a nutshell, there are scars. Both my stomach and arms give clue to the surgery but I look at them as my battle scars. I've mentioned to Red winning the battle. That is how I look at it. I firmly don't believe it was vanity since I don't give a damn about my wrinkes or gray hairs. They can come with welcoming arms. The sight of the crepey skin was nauseating. ONe other thing, I'd never do the surgeries before reaching where I wanted to be. And, even though I've had a regain, the skin is tight and should be fine when I finish getting rid of the stupidity weight gain.

Freda, I'm like you in decorating our tree with a variety of things. I have a wooden snowman I made when I was in 3rd grade. I have a dyed green wheaties wreath my son made in 1st grade, etc. Then I have the fancy-schmantzy ornaments that are so pretty. Every year when I hang them on the tree, it brings back those memories. Rarely am I nostalgic but I am when I put up the tree, then carefully wrap the ornaments when taking it down.

Bobbi, I so agree on the special ornaments our kids made as they grew up. Also, I'm thinking Vista will be good for my mom. She'll tinker with XP and break it. It's harder to tinker with Vista so it could save her money in the long run. We moved 3 times while living in Virginia, 3 times living in Minnesota and twice here. Eight total and I won't move again. Ever. At least I hope that is the case.

BTW, I forgot to mention what I found on her computer. Pirated software. She has a genuine Office XP license. The "geek" she pays to help her, install Office Pro 2007. Her XP disk was a pirate disk. I asked her about if she'd bought Office 2007 (wasn't worried about XP since she did have a valid license for it). She said no. To say she is upset he installed pirated software on her computer is an understatement. I did tell her I have an unused license of Office 2007 (since I don't use Windows anymore) and would be willing to give it to her. She said, no what she owned was just fine. I did give her some of my old Windows programs and will send her the licenses and original CDs. But can you imagine the audacity to install pirated software on an elderly woman's computer???? I'm not a happy camper about that. I believe Dex will be getting an earful.

Connie, laughing at the candlelight reference. About two weeks our electricity went out for a couple hours in the morning. I fed my doggies by candlelight. I bet your dinner was much more romantic.

KarenMO, I hope Sissy will be fine without too much stress. Kai, Kody, Sasha and Queen Blizzie Bee send her hugs and kisses. BTW, Blizzie said vets are mean and to avoid them at all costs. However, us humans know when we have to bring them to the dr.

Enough of this novella. It's hard to miss one day of not posting. Takes forever to catch up.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 12-05-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #94  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Sorry, all. I've been TOO busy and now, just 6 a.m. I have to get out. Tomorrow I leave for Hong Kong and I will have only a couple hours to get ready tonight.

Just wanted to say that, thanks to you all, I have NOT smoked. I know have EIGHT days without smoking. I think I feel better. Yes, I would have to say I do. My breathing is better when I'm walking up hills.

Bobbo, average temperature what season? In Tokyo? Today it will be about 10 degrees Celsius but it's been about as high as 16 recently. This is Celsius, remember. You'll have to convert.

Marie, if I said "tough" I meant GOOD!

Ok, sorry, gotta run!!
Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #95  

Height: 5'3"

Today's a busy day...we decided not to go to the gym as we had people look at the pickup and RV yesterday and they said they'd be back today. Turned out we were glad we stayed home as the husband did come back and they are buying both!! They are bringing us a cashier check by Friday. I have to finish unloading some things as we didn't bring everything in. Won't get to that today though. Our neighbors who are moving are coming back today to finish things up and are stopping for a mini-meal with us. I'm serving chicken salad (actually I call it chicken spread), snack crackers, a veggie tray and I made Frosty Strawberry Squares for dessert. It's a favorite in our family. I hope it has time to freeze well..but in case it doesn't I bought some chocolate chip cookies from Albertsons's baker. They are usually pretty good. I'm very behind in my housework. So far today all I've done is change the sheets (actually Joe stripped it!) and mopped the kitchen floor. But I'm very comfortable with our neighbors and not worried about it. I keep my home clean enough that I don't have to fear when someone drops in. When I was younger, that wasn't so true.

We had a nice time last night...went to our over 50 group service at church and enjoyed a dessert buffet afterwards. I overate on cookies but my weight didn't change...probably the fact that I did really well the rest of the day saved me. Talked to a nice lady (caucasian) whose dd is marrying a Filipino and they are flying to PI for the wedding. It was nice to be able to share our own experiences as a mixed race couple. Of course nowadays it is not nearly the big deal it was back then and we were married in the States.

Marie - Wonder if it was a virus that killed my old laptop. It started dying on me and one day it wouldn't restart. I had virus protection and kept it upgraded but I realize that doesn't always take care of everything that comes along. I agree with you about the Occupiers. It's not the "cause" that I object to, it's the way it's being done in many cities and the as you say ripple effect. It's been pretty bad here (Portland), well, since you're in OR you already know about that but we live only 15 min from there. I know who pays the price for their actions and I don't see that as helping the 99%. I'm one of the 99% and when they behave the way they have, they do not represent me.
Speaking of Bruce wasn't he the one that recorded Dancing in the Dark? There was a stage in my previous life when that song was very special to me. Can't remember why now LOL but it was. Haven't heard it in a long time.
I've wondered about surgery once I get to goal. Not sure what I'll do but I'm sure I'll need it! I already need a chin lift...or maybe it's a whole face lift!

Well, I wanted to do more personals but time is running out. Talk more later!

Mary

Last edited by maryea; 12-05-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #96  

Popped back online for a minute and found this new (to me) website in my inbox. thought someone else might like it too. Recipes sound good.
http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/mypoints/
Old 12-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #97  

Hi everyone. finally taking a break.i wanted to get all my baking done at once and in the freezer.it smells wonderful and i had 1 cookie in between baking i balanced the check book and paid some bills. sheeesh anyone have amoney tree in their yard. sometimes im "robbing peter to pay paul" living on a fixed income can be difficult at times however im looking at my blessings instead as we have so much compared to other folks. i have not gone to see the plastic surgeon. they are suppose to call and schedule.carol sue good luck on your surg karen hope sissy ok. maryea glad your rv and truck sold,kinda bitter sweet i'll bet tho.hoping you all have a wondeful evening ((hugs)) rosey
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #98  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hi -- just got back from the vet and it was Sissy's knee. The vet. put it back in place and hopefully it will stay there. I am going to continue giving her the Rimadyl for another 5 to 7 days and also they gave me Tramadol to give her for pain. The vet. also suggested that I get some glucosamine/chondroitin for people and give her a dose for her size. So we are going to check into that too. They want her to take 500mg glucosamine and 400mg chondroitin for 6 weeks then 1/2 that dose daily. She weighs a great big 7.4 pounds now! So I feel better knowing what is wrong and that I'm doing the right thing for her. If it should keep happening (which it hasn't any in the last year) we will probably be looking at knee surgery for her. Thanks for all the prayers.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #99  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello All

I can't believe that it has taken me all day to get back here. I am typing this as I eat my supper. I need to leave soon for pool league.

Ck, I hope that Sissy will be on the mend soon, now that her knee is back in place.

Hi Rosey, I mostly am a choclatier so it does not freeze well. I make it all on one day the week before Christmas and then give it away quickly. I am going to make cookies with the kids at work on Thurs - an annual tradition for me. Lots of them have never made cookies with anyone. I have a dear friend who is a CPA. It always drives her crazy that I don't balance my checkbook. She keeps threatening to break into my house and do it for me

Mary, I am glad that the RV sale went through because I know that you need the money right now.

Red, Safe travels. My aunt went to Hong Kong a couple years ago and loved it.

Marie, LOL on Bruce. Love him! I will have to see about surgery. I actually have really good skin, despite my age. I might be delusional, but I really think that my arms are tightening up a little already. We will see what happens. My "apron" has actually mostly disappeared on one side..... My biggest vanity will be my poor deflated girls....

Connie, I keep my camping lanterns handy so I can read when the power goes out. In the country, here, it can be a while before it comes back on...

Freda, my tree has a very few precious handmade and old kids ornaments. About 11 years ago, I had a house fire that mostly consumed my basement. The biggest tragedy was the loss of most of my christmas stuff. I have a couple pieces that still have a little visible smoke damage but I still hang them.

Safe travels Isabella. Come back!

Bobbi, I have moved 4 times since I married, including going to colorado for grad school.

Donna, where is my snow?? It is colder than a witches tllllt here! I am considering buying warm boots this year.

Carol, thinking good thoughts about you all week

Gayle, I love the scrub top and you have such cute grandbabies!

Chickadee and Marie, your football lives are good. Mine "BAD".

Zoe, sometimes I think that I see the worst of the teens and twenties. I also see the best. In rural culture, there are still so many of the values that we knew. I stay involved with the 4h and FFA programs for ag youth. I always say that I have never booked an active 4her into jail. It's one of the reasons that I dont think I could ever leave Montana - although we have our own problems. I long for the days of ACTUAL and PRINCIPLED protests and social action. That's why I have a soft spot for the occupiers, even though they have issues. I clearly remember the old timers talking about the "dirty hippies" when I was young, and for the most part they were wrong.

I am so sorry that I can't finish this.... I am literally late for pool. (No being late for fishing or pool for this girl).

Have a great evening and I promise to be better tomorrow.

Rie

Old 12-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #100  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Mary, yay, yay, yay! On selling the RV and pickup. I hope that helps ease your financial stress for a bit. And yes, Dancing in the Dark is a Bruce song. Apparently Lady Gaga does a version. As she’s currently singing on my iPod, I thought of that.

Rosey, are you sure you’d want to get a tummy tuck before you reach your goal? From my understanding, insurance will pay for a tummy tuck after lap band (or other weight reduction surgery) if the tummy skin folds over and causes skin infections. Also, it is not a surgery I’d want to do twice. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask. PM or facebook message if you’d like.

KarenMO, glad Sissy is on the road to recovery. My vet told me not to use human glucosamine because it metabolizes differently for doggies. I buy Blizzie’s and Sasha’s through Costco online (in the store when they have it). Here’s the link. I just checked the stats and it is 500mg glucosamine and 200mg chondroitin.

Rie, my deflated girls are ugly. No disputing that but I don’t care. No crepey skin. Stuff them into a sturdy girl holder and I’m good to go. Have a great time at pool tonight.

I’ve a had a nice evening. I ellipticalled, ate spaghetti (my marinara and DH’s fresh pasta and my homemade sourdough bread). My calories are below my limit so I’m pleased. I trimmed my bangs so I didn’t rip them out and I’m re-installing Windows virtual partition on DH’s iMac. I need it for work and I got a new OS. I can’t fix servers from home if I don’t have a Windows computer. Anyway, it’s a nice evening in a toasty warm house. I LOVE my wood stove. Burn baby burn. Keep me warm.
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 12-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #101  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Good evening GG's,

Just stopping in quick before heading to bed. I did go for that bike ride after work ~ 20 minutes. Note to self ~ next time ~ wear gloves. It was kind of chilly ~ I dressed warmly enough, but it didn't occur to me to wear any gloves. It was kind of misting out, but I was still able to go. Enjoyed seeing the Christmas lights. I will never be in the same league exercise wise as Marie, Rie or Lynn, but every litte bit is more than if I was to just stay in my chair. I hope I can be consistent as much as possible with this.

Have to pick DH up at the airport tomorrow evening. I think DS Jason is gonna ride along with me (it is his day off) I will enjoy his company and be glad to not have to go alone.

My evening ended up even shorter because I remembered that since DH isn't here, the mail hadn't been gotten in a few days. So, went and got that. Kind of a treat ~ I never get the mail. And there was a package ~ Maddie's Christmas present ~ play dough stuff ~ cutters and rollers. She has such fun with playdough.

Ok, better head off to bed. Have a Dr's appointment tomorrow with the sleep clinic ~ they want a follow up visit every 6 months to check how you are doing and if any adjustments need to be made to the settings on the C-pap or meds. I usually try to get my appointments on my day off, but was not able to this time. So tomorrow will be kind of a weird day. Work from 10am to 2pm, leave for Dr's appointment, then after the appointment ~ head back to work for another 4 hours. So, gotta get up a little earlier tomorrow to pack up the C-pap (have to cart that along to the appointment.)

Hope you all rest well.

Take care
Old 12-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #102  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Running very late tonight and must get myself to bed, but had to say thanks to you, Val, for running my question about small gifts for boys by your group. SO helpful...and I am so appreciative that you thought of me! Oh, yes...well, as a former "dirty hippie" myself (who bathed daily, actually, and even washed my clothes!) I am inclined to look kindly upon social protest. I believe one of the representatives of the occupiers recently noted that it took YEARS of protests and demonstrations - and even quite a few arrests - for us women to get the vote, and ditto the civil rights movement, which took people dying in order to end segregation in this country. This young woman, speaking for the occupiers, said that "we are just getting started" when it comes to tax equity, election reform (no more bought-and-paid for-by-big-business politicians), and an end to the One Percenters getting richer and richer while the 99 percenters get poorer and poorer. Sure it may take years, and sure everybody whose occupying and demonstrating isn't doing it for "pure" reasons, but enough are, and in time, I think this country will be forced to change the way it does things. We need a HUGE overhaul. Right now, there are so many bank-owned houses left vacant because of the foreclosure scams...left vacant and falling in on themselves, their copper pipes stripped by vandals (maybe unemployed folks trying to scrape together some money to feed their families?) and left to deteriorate and rot from disuse....all this when we have a huge (and growing) homeless population...omg. I'm soapboxing aren't I???? Okay. I'm done.

Hah. 1260 calories today. A little over my mark, so I'm not very pleased with myself, but I'll try to adjust tomorrow's to compensate.

I shall return in the AM and say hello to all. For right now, however, it'll have to be goodnight.

Z
Old 12-06-2011, 12:38 AM   #103  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hello everyone. Just reading through a lot of your posts. Not sure where to begin here but just wanted to say hi and I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 AM   #104  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello friends!

It is late here and I am just checking in after pool league. I got a nice surprise when I stopped in at my home bar. They had prepared a gift basket for me with a bottle of liquor, some chocolate, little party favors and a very sweet note thanking me for running pool tourneys and helping them out with pool stuff. I thought it was very sweet and it touched me.

Zoe, you and I have social workers' hearts and understand that revolution is messy! Interestingly, Wyoming and Montana women were very involved in the sufferage movement and had some of the first rights as property owners and office holders on the national scene. We have very few forclosed homes here but lots of people here lost money in the crash and the enron crisis - money we couldn't afford to lose.

Forgive the politics, all. Sometimes I can't help myself.

Misti, This group is just like a kitchen table where we all gather to chat. Pull up a chair, a cupa, and join in. Tell us a little about you.

See you all tomorrow. I need to be up a mere 7 hours from now.

Rie
Old 12-06-2011, 07:41 AM   #105  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Hi Everyone,

One of my classes ends today. So, after I get finished grading papers, I should actually be able to get to some personals.

Have a great day,

Lynn
Closed Thread