Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #106  

Height: 5'3"

Hello GGs! It is a beautiful day and we are hoping to accomplish a lot around the house. Dh is going to mow the lawn for one, and I have to rearrange the office as yesterday I moved stuff for the window guys. Good time to declutter a bit too.

Started my day with my chocolate chip pancakes again! I've been thinking that I really don't only want discipline but I want food to not be so important in my life. This diet is helping me with the discipline and it's because I'm never hungry and have no cravings, but I still really look forward to eating. I wonder if it is possible for me to ever be like my dds who never seem to think about food that much....they truly seem to eat to live not live to eat...and I want to be that way. Even now that I don't really crave anything, I'll see food on TV and think that looks good, can't wait until I can eat that again etc. I'm not sure whether this is normal or still obsessive. I think I've always been somewhat obsessive about food even when I was young and skinny...in those days I would eat a tiny bit of regular food but then would go to my room and eat three candy bars and a pack of sunflower seeds! I got by with that (weight-wise) until I gradually started eating more at my meals as well as the junk ..and that's when I started to gain weight. I also have always been obsessive in that if I really like ANY food...whether its potatoes (it's usually carbs), meat or junk food I eat too much. Of course I am not behaving this way right now but I'm thinking ahead to when I transition back to regular food...I really want to overcome these behaviors as I feel only then will I truly succeed at this diet thing. I think the reason MF keeps me feeling so full is because every meal is high protein and high-fiber plus packed with vitamins/minerals yet is low cal/carb. So I'm assuming I will have to learn to do that with regular food somehow. They are suppose to teach me. I am doing it now with my mochas, veg beef soup and diet shakes but other foods are trickier. I've always thought I was good with nutrition but I obviously wasn't getting enough of these things at EVERY meal before and I think that's the key for me.

slmn1 - I agree to not liking to drive in the snow/ice. We get the black ice here more than snow and it's scary! Another reason, I love retirement!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #107  

I just found this on the MF forum and it seemed to kind of relate to what I've been thinking about and commented on in my previous post. I apparently came from the MF newsletter originally.

Negative Thought: I hate being on a weight-loss program.
Nourishing Thought: Changing my eating habits is not easy, but it will help me reach my goals. Food is a great resource to meet our need when we are hungry and to satisfy our need for good nutrition. It can also help heighten positive emotions or buffer the pain of negative ones. But, hopefully it won't be your first and only option. The less you rely on food to meet your emotional needs, the more successful you will be with health, weight and many other aspects of life.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 PM   #108  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

PT!!!!!! "Rarely had Jamie seen lime green and purple (okay) used together with such abandon. Harem pants (okay) billowed around her hips and tucked in at her ankle; a hip-length vest (okay), sprinkled heavily with crystal bead (ummmm...not so much. nuh-uh.), sparkled like a fireworks display (Oh, Lordie, NO!). She wore gold tennis shoes (never!), and her fingernails were a deep scarlet (never ever - French manicures, thanks!) that matched her lipstick (Nope, none of that)."

Whoa...okay. Wow! Is THAT how I seem????? Yikes! I am SO not into bright colors - mostly wear black, grays, browns, olive greens, khakis. I will occasionally - very occasionally wear a bright color, but then feel uncomfortable in it. Never, ever wear actual sneakers...even bike riding, I wear those kind of ballerina flats with the sneaker soles. And as for the bright red lipstick & nail polish, oh, lordie, no. I can't remember ever wearing lipstick except maybe that pale pinky lipstick in high school! Sooooo strange to think that people associate me with bright and flashy when in reality, I'm very monochromatic. Now, I DO like odd and assymetric shapes, wide legged pants, flowy tops and layers, and I like chunky jewelry - a big, bold necklace, and definitely big chunky rings - I have one that I wear all the time that looks like a brain (LOL) and my wedding band & engagement ring are big and bold, but I honestly NEVER wear actual clothes with beads or glitter on them! Oh, I am so afraid that when we do meet up, y'all are going to be so disappointed!

OH, BTW, PT....yes and yes to Lily Tomlin for you!

Rosey, I absolutely agree that six months from now, things could change radically on your end. You get stronger all the time, the weight is just melting off, and you're likely to be coming to the gathering looking - and romping around - like Twiggy!

Rie/Val....what's "Chopped"?

Oh Freda, I sure hope you're feeling better, Chickie!

Lynn, there was never any doubt in my mind about Shirley MacLaine playing you! I think she would be perfect! (And I always knew you were a wylde chylde, because so many of our views are the same, and I sure was in my heyday!) OH, and I have always been intrigued by Isadora...especially her untimely death by scarf. Yikes!

Gayle, reading your post, I realized that I haven't made soup all summer long! I'm going to make a nice big vat of it this weekend! Thanks for reminding me!

Marie, oh ye of the tarnished halo....join the club! Maybe instead of "Golden" Girls, we ought to be calling ourselves the former delinquents or something...

K3, I must concur that there's nothing like a good bra to lighten the load - and the spirits!

Mary, you'll soon be a poster girl for MF!!!! Ummm. That sounds a little provocative, you know....

Have a nice night, y'all...TTFN

Z
Old 10-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #109  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Hello Friends!

I sure didn't sleep well last night - up before the sun again. I had my usual breakfast and got in an hour of walkitout. Last night I saw "moneyball" with freinds. It wasn't what I expected but I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the popcorn at the movies, too. Don't worry, I saved calories and carbs all day so I could have it. I don't understand my attraction for that nasty movie butter stuff but I must have it.....

I made my (almost no carb) veggie soup yesterday and ate it for supper and then as my salad replacement at lunch. Good call, very filling.

I almost forgot that this is a holiday weekend! It feels very luxurious that I have a long weekend - and no plans My ex MIL was here earlier to drop dgs off. Just my luck - her car broke down and we had to wait for a tow truck. She was mad at me because I told her that it was the starter. I brought out a little hammer and wanted to tap the starter and she freaked out! Guess what? The guy tapped her starter and it fired right up. Two things: 20 years later the woman is still pissed at me and she absolutely does not accept that women know anything about cars.... She just doesn't appreciate my winning personality.

Mary, I am glad that the diet works for you. I have sure struggled with some of the same issues of using food for other reasons than nutrition. I think we all do. I think that my diabetes diagnosis made me see food in a whole new way. It was almost like a switch went off in my head.....IDK.

Donna, I think Marie looks like Peggy Lipton, too.... I still like her as Goldie, though. Peggy was sure cool though! I remember what diet that you are using and I say - More power to you! I know a couple people who have been really successful with that and I don't understand the prohibition....

Carol, I LOVE winter and the cold weather. I am finding that I am less enthusiastic about winter travel, though. IDK, getting older?

Marie, I hope you are enjoying dgs time today... Is that the little guy that went on the bike rides with you?

Karenfl. I am excited that someone actually knows what "old german" is. I have also heard it called "low german". It is a dialect that the huterites in our area still speak. Yay, on the happy girls. And yup, I would look them straight in the eye and tell them the truth about why you feel better! Their reaction would be worth it and I KNOW that you can pull it off.

Freda, I hope your back is progressing and that you get to enjoy a little fall this weekend.

CaddyKaren hopefully, your bad luck didn't follow you home and you are safely ensconsed with Tim and the little divas.

Lynn, I hope that you are having a good weekend. I have been doing some reading online and I am looking for tips to improve my walking speed. I am going out tomorrow to map out some new routes. I am thinking about trying my dad's treadmill again just to get the "enforced" speed. I also read that walking shoes might be better for me than the cross trainers that I wear. I plan to take part in some races again next spring - at least a 10k and I am toying with the idea of a half marathon...... (what has happened to me?)

Gayle, I hope that your workday is going smoothly.

Well, sorry for anyone that I missed. I promised that I would watch "Dumbo" with a certain someone and he is up from his nap. Have a great Saturday!

Rie
Old 10-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #110  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone! Just thought that I would pop in here for a bit. I have to say I did go down into my "woman cave" this evening and set up Walk It Out.. I did it as a guest for a little bit and then set up my profile and thought that at least I would have that much ahead and get started with it tomorrow afternoon. Well, after doing all that-- I couldn't figure out how to pause, exit or anything! The only thing it would let me do was start a new game! I going crazy and finally just ejected the disc and brought the book and controls upstairs to sit and read it.. Frustration had set in! Now if I'm not mistaken, there is a small square something in the bottom right hand corner that lets you pause or exit, right? It kept saying something about clicking on the poratable player and I couldn't find anything that said that.... A little help here for the exercise challenged??? Am I trying to make it harder than it is? Oh well, I will go down again tomorrow afternoon and try it again.. I was ready to shoot the TV!! HAHA!! But I will tackle this game on the wii and will not let it get the best of me!

Still getting caught up with things around here and plan on church tomorrow. It looks like Colorado got some snow today! Glad that it waited for us to leave 'cause that wouldn't have been any fun at all!

OK, guess I am tired (frustrated) so think I'll go and try to relax a bit-- maybe take a nice warm shower. Gosh I hate it when I get like that!

Have a good night
Old 10-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #111  

S/C/G: 250/208/150

Height: 5'4

hi....Val if I remember right High German was spoken around/near Berlin. Funny but as a kid we had Jewish friends who spoke Yiddish and the Amish could understand what they were saying. Always got the giggles when Mrs. Synder would say she had intercourse last night with Mr. Hanz! As a teen I thought that was hysterical. Went the auction in Intercourse(PA) which isn't far from Paradise(PA) which up from Bird in Hand(PA). My real comfort foods go back to that time.....OMG scrapple fried crisp with apple butter! nite k3

ps the new picture is fabulous! you look tiny.

Last edited by Karen3; 10-08-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #112  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Val, won on the church you grew up in. You sound like my older sister during confirmation. She debated everything and questioned the follow blindly concept. Me? I don't remember a single class so I'm guessing I didn't pay any attention. BTW, doesn't ex MIL know that you raced cars??? Even I know a BFH will do wonders. I hope she enjoys paying the tow truck driver. Sexist piglets. They come in both genders. And yes, DGS is the one that biked with us this summer. He's biking tomorrow while DH and I rollerblade (dependent on how DH feels).

Karen, I love it. Better Boob Holder!!!!! I'd say the 4 people's observations puts a ditto on choosing the right bra.

Mary, I hope the travel insurance pays off. I get a pre-existing condition but it got worse and the symptoms changed. Seems right to me that they pay. Tell them if nothing else they can pay you with an iPad instead of money. Then you'll get your toy.

Carol Sue, I will love retirement. The idea of staying home until the sun has baked the roads. BTW, you and I are rivals in football. I just love my Packers. I thought of changing my avatar for football season.

Donna, God no on the move helping! This is my daughter's ex. They parted nastily but the two years has started to ease the tension and they're doing better. But her ex and I always got along. We had a blast together. We've been cordial for over a year and became friendlier over the last 6 months. We had a great time together. My daughter was happy we helped her. My grandson is so much happier than he's been in two years because his parents are talking and being friendly. I do remember Peggy Lipton. That would work for me. Goldie Hawn is much more chipper than me so I can see Peggy Lipton. BTW my grandson just looked at my screen and loved the dancing carrot on your post.

Zoe, LOL at former delinquents. I've never pictured you in bright clothes. Mostly because I never have seen a picture where you were in bright stuff. That said, you have a majorly bright, non conformist attitude that alludes to bright and flashy.

Karen, I had to laugh at your resolution for the walk it out. We bought a PS3 for streaming TV shows and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off with the bizarre "remote" aka controller. So I found the power button on the console. Voila, it shut up.

Quick Marie update - it's dear grandson's and my bedtime. We are having a blast. As mentioned above, he is so much happier now that his parents aren't shooting nasty tension between them. He's five and help move so much stuff. Kai had a seizure in the middle of the night. I'm outside (barefoot and in a flimsy robe - 37 degrees) with her and I did what KarenFL said this summer. I closed her eyes. The seizure immediately lessened in intensity and lasted about half as long. The post disorientation was still about as long but the seizure itself wasn't nearly as bad. So THANK YOU Karen. Kai thanks you as well. DH is sick again (stomach/intestine spasms) like he had on my b-day trip. I told him he will need to see a dr. Cool thing about him is he still worked hard helping DD's ex move. He is such a good guy. Time for bed. Love you all!
Marie

Last edited by Marie; 10-09-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:05 AM   #113  
Donna

Height: 5' 7"

PT/Zoe.... it was the flamboyance, not necessarily the clothing choices! You're alive and vibrant and, yes, dare I say it?..., a CHARACTER. In no way was I trying to offend you. It was a compliment!!
Old 10-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #114  

S/C/G: 155/136/125ish

Height: 5.6

Hey all
New here to 3fc's thought I would jump in here and say Hello
I started IP diet 9 1/2 week ago i'm down 17ish pounds so far

(Just a warning) I'm going to be lurking in the back round.
hoping to get know you all and becoming fast friends.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #115  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Oh lordie, PT, I wasn't offended!!!!! Sorry if I came off that way! I just thought, "OH, GAWD...wait until they see drab ole' me!!!!!" Love you dearly..... am off to the zoo with the twinnies & fam today; visited Occupy Boston yesterday. http://www.bostonherald.com/news/reg...71366&srvc=rss and tomorrow, plan to morph into a couch potato and watch movies on Netflix all day long.

Have a fun holiday weekend, everybody!

BBL,

Z
Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #116  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Rie - I guess it's a good thing that you love winter, living in Montana. It's the same with me in PA. We get enough snow to enjoy it, but not so much that we never see the ground for weeks at a time.

Marie - I'm not sure how the Steelers are going to do this year. They aren't off to a very good start. They are plagued with injuries, and Ben has had a lot of other things on his mind with his recent legal issues and marriage.

Zoe - I think most overweight people stick with dark, neutral colors, trying to "blend in". They tend to be slenderizing. I love bright colors but have to keep it low-key, such as a bright shirt with dark pants and jacket, or a brightly colored scarf with a dark outfit.

Maryea - Good for you for giving thought to how you will handle food after you have reached your goal. Adding foods back into your diet can definately be a downfall if you don't do it gradually and carefully, until you know what your body can handle without losing control.

All - I think when I was growing up, my mother remembered what she did as a teen and it scared the crap out of her. I remember her telling me the things she did and how she had to sneak around because she wasn't allowed to do anything. That should have told her that that is not the best way to raise a teen, but instead she just clamped down on me and forced me to lie and sneak around the way she did. Once I moved out of the house I became an alcoholic sex fiend! LOL Raising my step-children, I tried to keep in mind the things I did and I turned out ok and I overlooked a lot. They didn't know a lot of things I knew about, like smoking and drinking, but since I continued to tell them they were not allowed, they did it less often. I explained to them that they couldn't do these things because it was against the law and I would not condone them breaking the law. From what I know that they did, I was way worse than them, but I would never tell them that.
Oh, and by the way, I am no longer an alcoholic.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 10-09-2011 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:29 AM   #117  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning, Everyone.

I am having a LOT of problems sleeping. I guess it will take me a while to get over several years of sleeping pills. Last night, I woke up almost every hour.

I have started to add foods and so far, so good. I have not had any spasms since I cut back on the celebrex and stopped the sleeping pills.

Zoe, I never did think that the quote fit you. I don't think you would be so color-uncoordinated.

About my DF's DD - I have not heard from her since Thursday. At that point, they were hoping the DD would be released from the hospital on Friday. When I do, I will let you know.

Rosie, you are doing GREAT! Wonderful news on your weight loss and your increased mobility.

Donna, yes, she is my love child - born when I was 17. Her father and I got married before she was born and we all lived in my parents' house until he finished high school and college. We were afraid that if the Catholic HS found out, they would throw him out and he would lose his scholarship to college. So, my DD and I pretty much "hid out" in my parents' house from when she was born in February until he graduated in June.

Mary, I have been on so many diets that I don't remember them all. I think I learned something from each of them. Right now, my "diet" is - eat less, exercise more, eat fewer simple carbs, and eat more veggies.

Rie, my DS and I saw Moneyball - we liked it also. This week, I am planning to see Ides of March with my DF.
About your walking speed. I trained on the treadmill. I started at 2.5 speed. Every day I would try to do whatever distance goal I had (set by our coach) at a little bit higher speed. For example, on day 1 it was 30 minutes at 2.5. On day 2 it was 45 minutes - some at 2.5 and some at 2.6. Between April and September, I upped my speed from 2.5 to 3.8.
If you are not training on a treadmill, you can do the same thing with one of those watches that tell you your rate of speed. My DD has a Garmin.

Karen, my DF and I spent yesterday roaming around Lancaster. We went to the Turkey Hill ice cream factory and to a chocolate factory in Lititz. Stopped by the pretzel "factory" in Lititz but it is now just a store.

Marie, can you get any medication for the seizures? When my DH had them, I had a suppository I could give him. Do they have anything for dogs?

Carol Sue, about being a "former alcoholic and sex fiend," I always tell folks that I have given up more things than most people ever heard of.

Have a great rest of your weekend,

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 10-09-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #118  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning GG's

What a beautiful day! It's warm and the sun is shining. I guess this is our Indian summer? I can't get outside and do much, but I do intend to get outside and sit on the patio and enjoy some of the sun.

Tetahatme, Welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know you. YEAH for the weight loss. And, please, don't just lurk around. Come join in.

Mary, I never had a weight problem untill after I got married. But I know the feeling of eating and then planning what I could eat next. I have gained weight since I can't do anything. I'm not really watching what i'm eating or planning my meals, so I'm sure i'll be right back where I started. Well, maybe not the entire weight, but I'm definateally gaining. I hate it, but I think most of us turn to food to comfort. You're doing so well, you will do fine when you get to maintenance. You just have to eat the same way, just add a few things.

Z, I could never think of you as drab! I think the colorful you is what we think of because of your zest for life and your flair. Wish I could have been there with you on went to the Occupy Boston. How was it?

Rie, Your X-MIL is sure old fashioned and not ready to admit that we women can do most everything now. Things have changed. Women work at jobs that were traditionally mens and same for men. We're seeing more and more men get into the nursing field. And that's a good thing.

Marie, have fun with that GS. I'm glad that you found a way to lessen Kia's seizures. It's terrible to just stand by and not be able to do anything at all.

Carol Sue, I saw a lot of teens rebel and do all the things their parents said not to do. I'm afraid I wasn't much of a rebel. Some times I wish I had been. I was friends with a preachers daughter that really went wild. Her father ruled with an iron hand. In the end he ran away with a memeber of his very strict church, and then the kids (all 6 of them) really went wild. I don't know what the answer is. But I think telling kids why they shouldn't do something is much better than just says don't do it.

Karen, it's hard to get back into a exercise routine, but it's one day at a time. You were doing so well. You'll get back there.

Donna, i'm all for trashy books. I read something that could be called literature occasionally, but I like murder mysteries, and even (i'm whispering this) even some zombie, vampier things. Nothing much trashier than that. I don't do romance. One thing that just bores me to death.

Lynn, we were posting at the same time. I do the same diet you do. Just makes sense. I had my son when I was 17 too. Right out of highschool. I only had one child too, so it was a blessing. Some things just happen for the best and we dont' understand them at the time.

Freda

Last edited by the slim me; 10-09-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hey Freda! Sure hope you get to feeling better real soon. I hate having back trouble..Went through that for about 2 years after a car accident and still have problems every now and then, Thanks to the drunk driver!

Tetahatme, Welcome and pull up a chair and jump in. We all had to do it before and it really is wonderful how this group just seems to feel like they are living next door!! Love it!!

Zoe, I got to thinking and was wondering if you were thinking about Bette Davis? A lot of people have said that my eyes are like hers... don't know. My cousin and I look very much alike, in fact when I was growing up they called me"Little Lois" and everyone said she has "bedroom eyes like Bette Davis"! So I could live with that one too.

Thanks to Val, I have 3 pages of instructions on how to get going on this Walk It Out and her phone number! Going to church this morning and then later this afternoon I am going to go and tackle it again! If I don't get it today I'll be giving you a call Val ---Thanks so much!!

OK, Hello to everyone else. Need to finish getting ready for church. Have a GREAT Sunday!!
Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #120  

S/C/G: 254/171/150

Good Morning Goldens!

Today is football day and I plan to give myself a pedi and mani. Oh, the struggle of it all! Tee Hee. A couple of my friends have been after me to come over today and I just want to gork in my own house!

Karen, yup, high German was spoken there and low german was considered the language of the peasants. I miss those german foods....

Tehatme, Hello! Welcome to the group. Jump in whenever you feel like it and tell us about you.

Freda, hang in there. I know that you will get back on track when you feel better. One of my friends, who has always been thin, recently told me that I "just need to give myself a break sometimes". She went on to say that there are ups and downs with diet and excercise just lke any area of life. The trick is to not let it get totally out of hand forever.

KarenC, did I really type 3 pages?? Oh my. Well, I hope it helps and I will be glad to get on my machine here and "walk you through it". I actually learned something last night, too, I had my difficulty set at "hard". Wow, gonna change that ....

Zoe, I get you on the colors thing. I also think of you as more of a colorful personality. You wear the ballet sneakers and I will wear the funky sneakers! I am fond of skater shoes.... so jealous that you got to go see Occupy Boston, tell us more when you have time. Occupy Billings, or even Occupy Montana or Occupy Wyoming wouldn't draw much of a crowd. (Can you see it?) Enjoy the family day!

Lynn, I am going to start using my dad's treadmill for speed and training on an incline when I can. I am going to go out tomorrow and mark out some landmarks around me so i can time myself and improve my times. I would like to keep up with my aunt who is much faster than me. Of course, she is an experienced walker and she has about 4" height advantage. Even for my short body, I have short stubby legs.

Carol, Good one!

Marie, I am so glad that you enjoyed the day with the little guy and sorry about Kai. I can't wait till retirement, either. Wouldn't it be so great to win the lottery????

Donna, are you enjoying the Rocky Mountains in the fall? They are absolutely the best! I just heard that my bff is joining my family for Thanksgiving again. So excited.

Well, I am off to do my nails..... Have a great Sunday!

Rie
Closed Thread