3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~July Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/236973-%7E%7Ejuly-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

glynne 07-23-2011 09:10 AM

Good morning GG's,

Boy a day off sure can fly by. Back to work this morning.

Busy busy busy yesterday. It was one of those days that required flexibility ~ things kept getting added on or changing. I was pooped by the end of it.

It was a good day just the same. Got to go see Maddie and play and rock. Got to visit Sara a little and see their pictures from their trip and hear of their adventures. In the evening Jason and Corbin came over here and it was fun to get to see them.

My next day off is Tuesday, and I was thinking that I could just do nothing ~ no appointments ~ just stay here and chill and relax. Then I remembered that I have a staff meeting that day. Oh well ~ maybe I can relax part of the day.

It is sunny here :D

Hope you all have a nice weekend.

Take care

lynard21 07-23-2011 12:16 PM

Hi all,

I have been reading and catching up. Sounds like all are doing well. It has been too hot and humid to write much. I know, I'm a wuss! We don't have AC. It was 87 degrees in our house last night.

I just phoned a collage friend of mine to ask about her DH who is struggling with cancer and now pneumonia. Doesn't sound too promising as this is his second bout with pneumonia - due to his compromised immune system. She's hanging in there - lots of prayers. Anyway she told me another college friend of mine just lost her oldest son to a motorcycle accident. he was 29. I'm devastated as my kids used to play with her sons long ago when they were pre-schoolers. So, not a good morning for news.

I'm sorry it's too hot to do any personals. Know that I love reading all of your posts.

I have managed to keep off those extra pounds I lost a couple of weeks ago. Still at my ticker weight as I never moved it up before the last wt gain.

Stay cool.

jess1 07-23-2011 12:33 PM

Good Morning!

MustangSally – did you have a fun visit with your sister? Does she live in the area?

Bobbi – glad that you’re feeling well enough to do all your planting and gardening! I think you’d be great as a teacher in Adult Ed or someplace, teaching about horticulture! You certainly know what you’re doing… imagine worrying about getting acidic levels right… I’m pretty impressed!

Rosey – I’m not surprised that your nurse tracked you down and came to visit. I think you must be someone that people like to be around! And have you tried putting crinkled newspaper on your furniture to deter Sadie from using it as her own? They don’t seem to like the noise.

Mary – I can see your dilemma. Moving to a condo would be easier, but it seems your DH really enjoys the physical activity of yard work! You’re right that movement is probably what keeps him going!

Lynn – again, I hope you’re feeling better!

Laffalot – hi!

Marie – I agree with you telling KoalaLou to NOT edit her comments! I’m so much enjoying her posts and her “Australianisms”! When do you heigh off on your b'day vacation?

Rie – you’re leaving on your vacation…. when? I’m glad you’ll have WiFi so that you aren’t totally cut off from the important things in life… us! Oh, I see that you later said you’re leaving Sunday….

Gayle – I hope you CAN take Tuesday for yourself! Turn off the phone and gork (be lazy!).

Lyn – sorry about the bad news you’ve had lately. You sound kind of down, understandably; of course, the heat is contributing to that, I know!

Nothing much on the agenda today. I’ve taken a shower and am squeaky clean and shiny. Maybe I’ll do some laundry; maybe not. I’ve been on a carbo BINGE the last couple of days (pizza, rotini w/spaghetti sauce… and that’s about IT for two days!), and my dreaded damn scale is in hysterics of happiness! Today I’ll start behaving again!

I hope everyone has a good weekend! Later, Lovelies!! :hug:

maryea 07-23-2011 12:34 PM

Don't have much time this morning as I'm going to meet my friend for "coffee" soon. Since I haven't seen her for at least a year I'm sure we'll have lots to chat about. I'm not a coffee drinker but will have tea.

Yeah, Marie, no worry about me eating too little. I haven't done nearly as well on my eating plan this week...I sure hope I can get back on track soon. That's the way I tend to go...doing well all day then wrecking everything in the evening. No excuses, I just have to get control of myself..I know it's not real hunger and if I stayed away from the TV I'd probably do a lot better. It's a beautiful day here...suppose to get much warmer today than it's been. My dh is already outside working.

Amazing how hot it is for most of you! And here, we haven't even had to turn on our AC yet! I keep the patio door open if it is warm enough and dh isn't blowing too much dust and wood chips around, and it is just nice inside. It has been below normal temp for us even though. At least every now and then we get a warmer sunny day and only a little rain recently. We need a chance to completely dry out before it hits again.

Lynard - That is a lot of bad news for one morning! Sorry to hear about your friend and to lose one's child like that would be SO hard! My oldest son drives a big motorcycle and I worry about him sometimes. He's been in one accident, was wearing a helmet and he was spared although his (previous) bike was wrecked. I am so thankful.

Rosey - Thanks for explaining dipnetting. I had a little idea because my dh is a salmon fisherman. He hasn't had much luck the last few years though and hasn't even gone this year for salmon. He has fished for shad. We use it for bait for the crabs when we go to the coast in the fall. I like both salmon and halibut although it depends on the fish sometimes, like maybe where it's caught.:?: I don't like fish to smell too strongly.

Rie - You have a nice mom!

Lynn - I hope you don't have gallstones. I had them too and after suffering many episodes finally had them removed. So glad I did.

Whoa, I've been here too long...gotta rush and get ready to meet my friend. Have a great day everyone!

Karen3 07-23-2011 01:51 PM

Hi all....DH shopped Craig's list and bought me a treadmill....It is too hot and humid to walk outside and will be for months. The guy who sold it has had open heart surgery....we had matching scars. I stupidly asked him how long his breast bone hurt post op.....6 months! eeeeeeeeeeeerh.

I'll try a walk later today and report back.....k3

Bobbolink 07-23-2011 01:54 PM

Howdy...I'm doing absolutely nothing today. I sat outside in the lounge chair and read for two hours early this morning. I started on a new Jonathan Kellerman book, "Rage". I like his books, anyone read this one?
Tonight we're going to DH's 50th Class reunion, should be fun. Our first peach ripened and fell off the tree yesterday so I had that in my Fiber One and almond yogurt awhile ago. That's all I'm eating at home today, cocktails start at 6 and we eat at 7pm. I want to be able to eat anything I want and keeping my calories low today is a no brainer for me. I don't drink anymore so I won't blow any calories on booze. We both used to drink lots of Cabernet wine but it started getting out of hand so we both quit about 3 years ago. I was amazed at how easy it was to drop the fat % on my body after I quit the wine. I realize a glass of red wine a day is good for you but we could never stop at one glass so it's not good for us. :soap: Gee, I always wanted to use that little soap box smilie.
Rosey...we couldn't get any farther from the ocean living in Minnesota, on all 4 sides of us. I'm soooo jealous of your fresh salmon, even if you don't care for it. I have to really watch the fresh salmon we purchase in the grocery stores, much of it is farmed salmon, YUK! Once in awhile they have fresh caught wild salmon on sale that I snap up, otherwise it's very expensive.
Quote:

u are allowed 6 aday per person.my sil and grson where here for 3 days and took home 36 fish. we can them, smoke them and freeze them. we get a couple every year but honestly im not crazy about salmon. i'd rather have halibutt :D rosey :wave:
Donna... Actually I can rid myself of the morning headaches with a couple of Excedrin Migraine pills. It's only once in awhile I get one that's bad enough to eat one of my gold $10.00 a pill prescription pain reliever. Yes, 9 pills are $104.00 or something like that. My Blue Cross/Blue Shield covers most of that. I learn from experience about the blueberry bushes. We put one plant in a few years ago and it died. At that time I had no idea about the type of soil I planted it in nor read the plant instructions. DH raised an eyebrow when I purchased these 6 plants but told him they were on clearance for $4 bucks each. If they croaked, no big deal. I read the instructions this time and prepared the soil, they should do fine. We'll see, I might have to mulch them this fall so they'll survive our 30 below weather.
Quote:

Bobbi – glad that you’re feeling well enough to do all your planting and gardening! I think you’d be great as a teacher in Adult Ed or someplace, teaching about horticulture! You certainly know what you’re doing… imagine worrying about getting acidic levels right… I’m pretty impressed!

Mary...I can't remember where you live? Our daughter didn't have air in her home, DH felt sorry for her and purchased a big window air for her. I'm sitting here at the computer with a short sleeved sweat shirt on and a long sleeved wool sweater over that. I hate air, I'd rather open the windows and be warm.
Quote:

Amazing how hot it is for most of you! And here, we haven't even had to turn on our AC yet!

Marie...we have plenty of room in the vegetable garden, it's quite large. This year I told DH not to plant radishes and so many kinds of lettuce. One variety is enough... Geezzz, we're only two people.
I planted the blueberry bushes on the side where we only have rhubarb plants, lots of room. I think we could cut the garden in half and still have plenty of space, it takes forever to weed.
Rie...I got warm fuzzy feeling reading this, God Bless her. That's real love she has for you all.
Quote:

Mom decided to share with us and gave me, my boys and dil each $200. She was so tickled with herself. She is so sweet!

Gosh Lyn...one thing after another and nothing keeps you down. You're just like the Energizer bunny that stops for nothing. Don't they do altra sounds to break them up or something not too painful? Hope so, good luck on that.
Quote:

She thinks I might have a gallbladder stones problem. I need to go for an ultrasound.

KarenMo...I'm sure you're getting plenty of pool time with all the hot weather. Do the dogs get very hot with all that long hair? Our Charlie runs around like a nut outside in this hot weather, doesn't seem to bother him much and he has longish hair.
I'll have to go re-read what someone posted on the book thread. I just glanced quick but I think someone said if you like dogs to read this book?
Speaking of other threads, someone posted a recipe called weight watchers dump cake. Angel food and a can of crushed pineapple, no instructions other than dumping the two together. I'll have to check that out later, I love angel food and I love pineapple.
Guess I'll do that now, if I find it I'll come back and post the instructions. Normally you beat the heck out of the mix so it gets airy and high.
KarenFla...glad to see you posting a little more and letting us know how you are, We all care very much. I personally miss the 'Dash' stories and the marvelous luncheons you put on with the card club.
Hi Nancy...I 3rd or 4th the vote on arranging your house/computer anyway you want. I have my cp in the corner of two very large picture windows. I'll take a picture and show you, it's so nice being able to look outside. About 15 minutes ago I saw a large doe running in the sweet corn field across the road from us, she was a beautiful rusty color. I have a trellis with a hanging planter and a bird bath under it where I can watch the birds take a bath from where I sit at my cp.
I'm sure I missed someone but I can't go back any farther than the last page without losing my post.
Hi Freda, Lynard, glynn, laffalot, tea granny, Aussie girl, Zoe......sorry but my mind is on tonights blast from the past.
Later gator.

Bobbolink 07-23-2011 02:05 PM

I just googled this.

Quote:

How to make Weight Watchers Pineapple Angel Food Cake

By braniac, eHow User http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/9v/o5/w...ke-800x800.jpg 1/12 of cake with fat free Cool Whip = 4 WW points
1/12 of cake with fat free Cool Whip = 4 WW points. This quick recipe helps you with the your craving for sweets while dieting. ENJOY!
Difficulty:EasyInstructions

Things You'll Need
  • 1 angel food cake mix, Duncan Hines Fat Free
  • 1 can - 20 ounces - Dole crushed pineapple
  • 9" X 13" cake pan
  • large bowl
  • rubber spatula
  • Cool Whip - Fat Free
Suggest Edits
Item Add Why is it necessary?
Done
    • 1 cake mix Preheat oven to 375°.
      Open cake mix and dump into large bowl.

• 2 Add entire can of crushed pineapple. Mix well. When the two items are mixed they will foam up.

• 3 Pour batter into ungreased cake pan.

• 4 Bake for 30 minutes. Cake will be golden brown.

• 5 Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.

• 6 Cut cake into 12 pieces. Serve each piece of cake with 2 tablespoons of fat free Cool Whip.
      4 WW points per piece.

document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + (document.location.protocol == "https:" ? "https://sb" : "http://b") + ".scorecardresearch.com/beacon.js' %3E%3C/script%3E")); COMSCORE.beacon({"c1":2,"c2":6036385,"c3":"","c4": "","c5":"","c6":"","c7":"","c15":"","options":{"ur l_append":"comscorekw=eHow_eHow Food and Drink"}});DM_tag();http://c.betrad.com/icon/box_77_top-right.pnghttp://c.betrad.com/icon/c_30.png
[ X ]

Bobbolink 07-23-2011 02:16 PM

I should be more organized when I post, I just went back to see who posted about the dog book and thinking it was our Montana gal Rie. Yup!
Yes, I read Montana Sky, liked it. Haven't read the Quinn trillogy but just finished a Nora Roberts book called "Public Secrets". I would have liked the ending different.
I like Dean Koontz, will get that next time I go to the library. I better put a reserve on it from my computer. I asked DH the other day if he thought libraries would be obsolete some day. I don't own a kindle nor do I want one. I love the smell and feel of a real book. How about you all?

Quote:

One book by Nora Roberts: MontanaSky. A book about 3 very different sisters who are forced to live on a ranch in Montana to get their inheritanc. Lovely, whitty, intelligent book about the relationships amoung women.

Nora Roberts: the Quinn trillogy. Three formerly delinquent brothers make a deathbed promise to raise the newest adoptive boy. They are beautiful, volatile and endearing. The trillogy follows individual roamances of the brothers and the raising of the boy. Great story. They end up feeling like old friends.

Finally, Deen Koontz, watchers. If you have every believed that a dog understood every word, you will love this book. It explores our humanity and our relationships with other species. Haunting, endearing, and scary.

Riemontana 07-23-2011 03:00 PM

Hello all!

Well, it is not even 1pm here and I am virtually packed. The only thing that I have to add in the morning is the stuff like makeup that I will use then. Seriously, something is WRONG with this picture:?: Mom was here a little while ago and she was thrilled that she caught me packing already. (she thinks maybe she has converted me to an organized lifestyle) lol

I have lots of healthy food ready to go. My dil eats the way that I do so I plan to be good when possible - like breakfasts, and then enjoy the rest of the time. I feel a little more comfortable with some of my favorite protein bars along. I just got a new shipment from diet direct. They have great bars that are low carb enough for me. Yummy too. BTW, I also tried fiber on brownies. Oh, they are so yummy. However, (tmi) what do they put in those things? gas bombs!

Anyway, I have cleaned everything and I am going to spend the afternoon pampering my skin and hair. I picked up the new Kristofferson (speaking of YUM) movie at redbox and plan to enjoy the evening.

I am eating healthy today. I added a little vanilla whey protein shake mix to my mocha frappe and it was so good that I think I will have another. Haven't had many calories today....

Bobbi, I am glad that you are going to look for Koontz's Watchers. There was a really bad movie made from the story but the book is still one of my favorites. He is a dog lover and it shows...

Karen, good thinking on the treadmill. You can take it slow and steady withouth the heat and humidity.

Mary, it must be really cool and pleasant where you are? How is the humidity?

Lyn, I am so sorry about the sad news. It is hard to hear about the tragedy of someone that we have fond memories... I agree, the heat can't be good for your mood. :hug:

Donna, I sure wish I could join you for pasta.:^: I don't think that will ever be on my menu in a major way again. I think I fear it - the portion sizes are so small that I am afraid to go near it. Grrr. "hysterics of happiness." LOL

Gayle, it is so nice that your family is close because you see each other so much. I think that is wonderful. I hope your day is fairly easy.

Rosey, yup, dipfishing sounds just like I thought. I like wild salmon ok but I love walleye even better.

Well, Zoe, Marie, Karen31, Koala, Nancy, Lynn, Tea and anyone I might have missed. Have a great day. I will try to get back today, but if not, hopefully I will post from South Dakota tomorrow evening. Hugs

Rie

Bobbolink 07-23-2011 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is where I've set up my computer, desk, printer. Behind me I have a wood seat and under the seat is storage where I store all my bills, files, etc.

Bobbolink 07-23-2011 05:55 PM

Can you tell I've got lots of time on my hands today with all my goofing around? Right now the cooking channel is on and they were using Meyer lemons. I've never had one, you can't get them in the grocery stores around here. I thought of you KarenFla who has some Meyer lemon trees in your yard. I googled the lemons to see if I could have some shipped to me. Instead Amazon has real dwarf Patio meyer lemon trees for sale, only $12.99 and the shipping is $9-10.00. I usually get free shipping from amazon but the trees come from a nursery and they don't offer free shipping. So I have a lemon tree on the way. I'll have to keep it potted and bring in doors when it drops to freezing.

Quote:

wanted to explain dipnetting. the salmon run on high tide up the kenai river.
Rosey...I was telling DH about your Kenai salmon river and we were wondering if you lived on the Kenai Peninsula? He dug out the map, I googled the river. Knowing where everyone lives makes it easier to visualize your lives, I love seeing pictures of all the homes, decor, etc. Now I really have to go get ready for the class reunion. I changed what I was going to wear to something classier than I first decided on. I have a classic black dress, Jones of New York that fits nice. The dress has little cap sleeves and my saggy upper arms will not see the light of day while wearing it so I'm wearing a short cropped fitted Coral blazer/jacket over it. I attach a floral brooch the same color as the blazer on the lapel. Black hose and 3" black heels, makes me look real tall.:rofl: I WISH!
:wave:

maryea 07-23-2011 05:56 PM

I'm back from my meeting with my friend. It was wonderful...she said it's actually been TWO years since we last saw each other! We communicate a lot by email though. She is very busy as this is NOT a vacay for her and she has a round of meetings and others to meet, but I think we could have talked for hours. She is a very special person..one of those who every time I'm with her I feel I am learning and growing yet she is down-to-earth and we share so many personal tendencies. I really cherish her friendship. We shared a doughnut at Starbucks and had Chai Tea so I'm sure I went over on my "mini-meal" but it was a special time, I don't regret it.

Bobbi - I like how you have arranged your office. My big old desk is beginning to fall apart. When I get another I plan to not get one with shelving on top. I want it to be easier to move. Most of the things in the shelves could go elsewhere nearby. I still have a twin bed in my office too...would like to get rid of it but it is where the little gks sleep when they are here. I really like Kellerman too...both him and her. I added Rage to my shopping cart LOL...I have way too many books already, but can't resist them!
I also added the Nora Roberts book and the Dean Koontz book...I like his writing usually. I let them set in my cart and sometimes the prices drop...and I buy a few at a time that are really cheap. They are used but just like new usually.
Bobbi I'm in WA state...the sw part. We are about 2 hours from the coast and the mountains, 15 min from one city and 2-3 hours from a larger one. What more could I ask for?!!

About Kindles..I'm like you I like the look, feel and smell of real books but I have thought that an e-reader would be great for traveling. I wouldn't have to take books with me. Less weight and space in the RV or car and my dh would love that! Of course I'd have to stop buying them on the road or I'd defeat my purpose. LOL The "e-reader" I'd prefer to buy is an iPad! That way I could use it as a computer too. I have a net book but I don't enjoy using it at all!

Rie - You are organized! Your mother is I'm sure very proud! :D I have one dd who is very organized and the other is a chaotic mess most of the time even though she thinks she is organized.:?: I try to be organized but never quite make it to the level I'd like. Nice that your dil eats the same way. Sounds like you have a good plan (Bobbi too!). I'm going to check out that diet food site...I'm kinda scared of having too many yummy bars on hand though! :o I thought I was getting better but then the cake the other night showed me different. It is probably the fiber that causes the gas. That happens to me when I eat anything high fiber. Don't know what to say about the humidity here...since we get a lot of rain I suppose it is a high humidity area but our rain is cold, and our temperatures are very mild. What causes the really cold feeling here is in the winter is the cold rain. It can really chill you. Of course the temps do get down in the winter but not like a lot of places....like the MW or NE. We rarely get snow...just a lot of rain. So it's not humidity like you think of in a hot area like FL. Right now it is sunny and just comfortable.

Karen3 - Good luck with the treadmill, but take it easy and build up slowly so you don't overdo!

We are having tilapia again tonight. I planned fish meals 3x this week...2 with tilapia and 1 with salmon. I always buy my Tilapia at Costco...they have the filets frozen individually and I have loved them for a long time. But the last time I bought the bag I immediately noticed it was different. The filets are also a different size/shape and they taste more wild. I do not like them!! I don't like the tilapia filets they sell in the regular grocery stores and now Costco is selling the same kind or at least they taste the same! I wanted the protein so I choked mine down last time. I'm cooking it differently this time so I hope it will be better but I am not looking forward to it. My dh still likes them and doesn't notice the difference except for the size/shape.

Well it would probably be a good idea for me to do a little work today as my poor dh has been working so hard outside all day. Take care GGs and have a good evening!

maryea 07-23-2011 06:19 PM

Still haven't gotten to work. Had a mini lunch of chicken noodle soup then came back and someone on another forum posted these and thought someone might be interested. I haven't read them all yet (lot to read!) but they really makes you think.
http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/bl...ons/index.html
http://unclutterer.com/2009/04/28/di...-looking-back/

the slim me 07-23-2011 09:17 PM

HI GG's,

It was another scorcher here, hit into the 100's. We're breaking records. Yeah! --not! I try to stay inside, but it's just not possible. Worked Friday and it had just started raining when I got off. Came home looking like a drowned rat. It would have been worth it if it had cooled off some, but of course that didn't happen. This morning we went to DGD's baseball game and this afternoon we went to DGS's baseball game. I usually enjoy them, but it was just too hot. DGS had football camp for 2 weeks in this heat. I guess if he can go throught that I can at least sit through a game.

Rosie, You don't like fresh caught Alaskan salmon? Send it to me please. Love it, just can't afford it all the time. I try to have fish at least a couple of times a week, and salmon is my pick. Grilled with a sauce....along with some grilled vegetables.

Rie, you are probably off on your vacation now, so have a wonderful time.

Marie, I was the dummy that went bike riding in sandles, and have the scar on my leg to prove it.

Sherri, Hi, glad you're enjoying your company.

Bobbi, I've made that pineapple cake many times. But, really, I like to just make the angel food cake and make an icing of pineapples, cool whip and pudding mix. Not many more calories, and so good. I bet you looked killer in your LBD

Lynn, It's too hot to run 8 miles. Good choice! It will cool off and you can do it again later, when the weather is cooler. I hope you get some relief from the gall stones. If you do have to have surgery, it's so much easier than it once was. 3 little band aids now

Mary, I know it's hard not to worry about your husband when he does so much work, but sometimes that is a good thing. It keeps you strong. When people quit and just sit, they go downhill fast. Your throat symptoms sound a lot like mine. I have GERD. Silent GERD. I never had heart burn or any of the obvious things. I just had burning in my throat and was hoarse a lot. I was talking to one of the docs at work one day and he asked me if I always sounded like that and I said, yes, most of the time. He told me I needed to see and ENT. I took his advice and it's good that I finally listened. My throat was a mess and it took me months to get it under control. If you haven't seen an ENT you might want to.

Jess, my grandma had that surgery when she was in her 80's. She was amazed at how much better she felt, and said that she could even see better afterwards. But there is always a risk. She will decide what she is ready to do, when she is ready to do it. And i know you will be there to support what ever decision she makes.

Nancy, computers... like men, we can't live with them, can't live wthout them. I hope you can find a perfect place for yours (both of them).

Karen, That treadmill with help you get your strength back. Just start at slow and don't rush it.

Z, How are you doing with the diet? No matter how much you lose, you will still look elegant. Couldn't look any other way if you tried.

GAyle, I hope you are having a good weekend at work. It should be better, no full moon.

Freda

ellabella 07-23-2011 09:40 PM

2 HAUTE!!!!!! Busy day. Need to relax and rest right about now. Spent the morning with dd2 & dd3 looking for carpeting for the baby's room, also for grandson's room, as they will be trading, more or less. They've repainted both rooms, and now, once the carpeting is down, they'll be able to move the furniture in. So, after that - and just moving back and forth from the stores to the car was like wading through warm pea soup - dh & I went and did our grocery shopping, went to get fresh veggies at the farm stand, and THEN we went over to Elm Park and walked a bit, although not quite as far as we normally would because of the heat. I had the camera in the car, and decided to snap some pictures because the images of Worcester that are on the internet - the ones that come up with a Google search, I mean - just aren't all that great. Then, after snapping pics there, we decided to drive around a bit and get some other pictures to post, because I was telling dh about how pretty all of your hometowns are, and the pictures of Worcester were so nondescript.
Well, day six almost under my belt, and so far, no falling off the wagon. I really don't plan to, either. My biggest problem at this point will be eating enough to keep my metabolism moving, because, as some of you have noted, once I make up my mind to something, there don't seem to be any half-measures. I have about convinced myself that food is vastly overrated. Here it is 9:00 - well, after 9, actually - and no supper yet. Just my Fiber One with skim milk and strawberries and blueberries for late breakfast. I have the water on for corn from the farm stand, though, and have already stir-fried some garlic spinach. We'll have some nice fresh sliced tomatoes and call it a meal. Yum! On a less happy note, I lost the additional 1.8 pounds that I had gained back, for a total of four pounds lost this week. I had really hoped to do better for the first week, knowing that it's likely to slow down. Ah, well, that tells me that it really IS time to get some exercising in - and probably to think about adapting Mary's trick of lots of small meals as opposed to a few larger ones. Oh - the kindle? My son got me one for Christmas a few years back, and I tried it but didn't like it at all. I, too, like an actual book in my hand, plus if I'm reading myself to sleep, it's no problem if I doze off and drop the book, but I don't know how well the Kindle would take to being repeatedly dropped. Oh, Mary, can you share with us how to make your sauteed cabbage dish? It sounds like something I would really like.
Bobbi! Three inch heels????? Good grief. I haven't worn a three inch heel for at least ten years - maybe more. In fact, I'm getting so I don't like any kind of heel. You GO, girl! (Hope you have a ball at the reunion!)
Rie/Val - I tried those Fiber One brownies last week. Dee-licious, but yeah. What you said. Gas bombs for sure. Maybe we could enjoy them more if we took Beano when we began to eat one? Enjoy your vacation, okay? Recharge your batteries, and check in when you can. I'll be thinking of you.
So how did your first trek on the treadmill go, KarenFl? Sounds like a great solution to being unable to exercise outside. Maybe I should get one...
Sorry about the bad news, Lyn. What a miserable way to start the day! So sorry about your friend's hubby and your other friend's son. My son has been talking about getting himself a motorcycle since he was 16. I wouldn't let him get one then, and told him I wouldn't speak to him ever again if he got one later on, when he was old enough to make those decisions for himself. I know that a lot of folks ride, and love it, but frankly, they just scare me to death. Just not enough between you and the road, helmet or no helmet, as far as I'm concerned.
Hi Gayle - I hope you have a nice weekend, too!
Rosey, my dad used to catch herring that way with a net. Once a year (I think) they had a herring "run", and there's would be scads of people out on the causeway, catching them as they swam upriver. I guess to mate? I'm not sure, but I know my mother would fry them in cornmeal, and everybody loved them. I did, too, until I got a bone in my mouth. Then I was all through!
Koala, I have to agree that your "Australianisms" are delightful. I, too, would like to know what you mean by "a big girl's blouse". Love the phrase...just wondering how a cat would be one?
Nancy, I am really trying hard to ignore the stupid scale. Gawd, how I despise those things! Love your idea, PT, about the scale burning ritual. Let's just put those sadists who make the stinking things right out of business once and for all!
Freda, you are so complimentary! I wish I were as confident as you about my appearance at the wedding. I'm just going to do the best I can, and hope for the best!
I hope you're feeling better Lynn? When do you have the MRI?
MustangK, I really love your new avatar picture! (Liked the swimming pool video, too...I felt cool a
cucumber watching you paddle around!)
Marie, Thanks for reminding me about retaining water in the heat! I didn't even think about that! Maybe I'll get lucky and drop a few pounds once the weather gets a little dryer.
Okay, time for me to crash - hope you're all having a good evening!
Z