Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/Ticker/165

Height: 5' 8"

Default Need your help to banish this belly fat...

Hi all, my name is Jan and I am 52 years old, and I am just at my wits end on trying to get this tummy to flatten down. I have been at this for over a year now and exercise 6 days a week. I quit smoking in Nov of 2009 and started out with WII Fit Plus, graduated to Tae Bo and now do Chalean Extreme weight workout plus extra cardio but just can't seem to get anywhere as of late. I have lost approx 25 pounds and about 23 inches since starting my quest but have been at the same place for about 6 mths now. I know my diet is not perfect but I don't eat junk food and try to eat healthy at all my meals and snacks. Nothing seems to get me going again and it is so frustrating..............So I am looking for some help to get a fool proof grip on this belly fat......if there is such an animal. Look forward to hearing from you all out there.
thenewjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

you have to HAVE TO HAVE TO get your diet in check...... start tracking your calories....thats where the problem is. You arent in a caloric deficit.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3

Walk it off? even tho you're exercising a lot, it is in bursts of high energy. Walking takes longer but keeps you moving more then a exercise routine.
Plus it keeps you out of the kitchen that much longer.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 294.5/276/190

Height: 5'2"

using a personal trainer? what does s/he say? what does your physician say? food journaling is a good suggestion. try recording everything that you eat and drink for 2 weeks, then look at amounts (portions). good luck and keep posting!
chicpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/Ticker/165

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for all the advice so far. I will definitely try writing everything down for 2 weeks and see where I am at. I am back to my interval training on the elliptical in the morning, so we shall see. Will let you all know how its going in a couple of days anyway but keep the advice coming..............
thenewjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Are you making sure you include MUFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids--in moderation, of course) at every meal? Prevention's Flat Belly Diet advocates that to target belly fat. It really isn't just how many calories but what you're getting with your calories. I'm still struggling to get the last couple of inches off my belly, but I've lost almost ten around my waist so far. I'm active, but mostly I make sure I eat right.
lillyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/200/120

Height: 5'

Sorry to be chiming in so late -- I'm a new member. But I've had a very similar issue so I thought I would share my experiences, for what it's worth....
First, I flattened my big belly considerably after several (5 or 6) months of doing toe-touches. I started with 10 and built up to 30. I didn't start doing them to work on my tummy but because I'd read about studies that showed that the ability to touch your toes (while you're sitting down) is an indicator of heart health. Anyway, it was a great side-effect. I've seen Patricia Walden beginner yoga videos that walk you through the paces of good form.
Over time, I've done other bends that help too: if you've ever seen pictures of Muslim men and women at prayer at a mosque, the forward bend is a great tummy-cruncher. Finally, there are some yoga moves that are designed to reduce abdominal fat. I like doing those, though my toe-touches are still my favorites.
Good luck!
auntiroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:15 PM   #8  
wife2abadge

Height: 5'4"

I hate to even type this (because I LOVE bread), but whenever I cut out most bread/pasta/rice from my diet, my tummy flattens almost instantly. If I stick to oats at breakfast and 0-1 additional servings of grains, it stays flat.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #9  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiroh View Post
Sorry to be chiming in so late -- I'm a new member. But I've had a very similar issue so I thought I would share my experiences, for what it's worth....
First, I flattened my big belly considerably after several (5 or 6) months of doing toe-touches. I started with 10 and built up to 30. I didn't start doing them to work on my tummy but because I'd read about studies that showed that the ability to touch your toes (while you're sitting down) is an indicator of heart health. Anyway, it was a great side-effect. I've seen Patricia Walden beginner yoga videos that walk you through the paces of good form.
Over time, I've done other bends that help too: if you've ever seen pictures of Muslim men and women at prayer at a mosque, the forward bend is a great tummy-cruncher. Finally, there are some yoga moves that are designed to reduce abdominal fat. I like doing those, though my toe-touches are still my favorites.
Good luck!
I'm going to try this! Thank you!
maryea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #10  
Chick Losing

S/C/G: S/C/G 219.6/199.2/172

Height: 5.5"

Ok, I know you are going to think that this is just another "BOOK"
Try "The Belly Fat Cure" by Jorge Cruise. IT WORKS!!!! You eat real food, you don't get hungry and you feel great! I started it and loved it. I lost 20lbs.
in about 2 1/2 months. I would have done better if I had stayed focused.
Long story short, it really does work. But, you have to read the book...don't just skim through it. I have lost my focus and I am going back to the program. Please get the book, read it and let me know and we can start a
(BFC) Challenge. Good luck.
BCL216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:39 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCL216 View Post
.....we can start a (BFC) Challenge...
If you find other Age 50+ members who would like to follow this program, feel free to start the challenge here in this forum.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 320/260/140

Height: 5'6

Default Zumba WILL whittle the waist!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewjan View Post
Hi all, my name is Jan and I am 52 years old, and I am just at my wits end on trying to get this tummy to flatten down. I have been at this for over a year now and exercise 6 days a week. I quit smoking in Nov of 2009 and started out with WII Fit Plus, graduated to Tae Bo and now do Chalean Extreme weight workout plus extra cardio but just can't seem to get anywhere as of late. I have lost approx 25 pounds and about 23 inches since starting my quest but have been at the same place for about 6 mths now. I know my diet is not perfect but I don't eat junk food and try to eat healthy at all my meals and snacks. Nothing seems to get me going again and it is so frustrating..............So I am looking for some help to get a fool proof grip on this belly fat......if there is such an animal. Look forward to hearing from you all out there.
Try Zumba! I love it and it really focuses on the core, abdominals, and hips....give it a try...whaddaya got to lose....except belly fat???

sidanne42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:04 AM   #13  
Chick Losing

Hi everyone and thanks Jane for the invite to post a BFC challenge. I will certainly love to do just that. I am still leaarning how to navagate this form.
and I will let you know. If anyone is interested in the program, please purchase the book and let me know. We all can get started and see amazing results.

Thanks
Omie
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 PM   #14  
Chick Losing

Good News Ladies,
I have posted a BFC challenge on mini-goals. Please take the challenge you will be amazed how much being a part of a challenge will help keep you on track.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:10 PM   #15  
Chick Losing

Oh, Jane the reason I posted it on the mini challenge, I had a hard time finding
this thread and there was one I thought was this one until I realized it wasn't Oooops! Sorry! I am not to good at this yet. Please join me.