3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~~July Golden Girls~~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/205929-%7E%7Ejuly-golden-girls%7E%7E.html)

Bobbolink 07-05-2010 01:56 PM

Welcome......love to have a new face, words of wisdom, new ideas and what you like to eat, what works for you, etc. Most people over 55 have been there, done that. So we are a knowledgable bunch and all very nice if I do say so myself. Again...:welcome:
Quote:

I am 57, Texan, live on a ranch, been with the faith group and intend to stay with them but would like to join The Golden Girls, is it alright?

ladyinweighting 07-05-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootsie (Post 3371466)
I am 57, Texan, live on a ranch, been with the faith group and intend to stay with them but would like to join The Golden Girls, is it alright?

Hi Bootsie,

Nice to meet you. Glad you decided to join us.

Lynn

akrosey49 07-05-2010 04:52 PM

Hi everyone..its quiet here my dh took the girls to his cabin,,id like to be with but impossible for me to get there..its 14 miles down the beach at low tide,up a steep hill and 3 miles in thru swamps and mud..hes as far out in the sticks as he can get.. we have 83 acres and my dh calls it his own little shangrila he wanted to retire me out there but i like flush toilets,showers adn electricity lol..id like to be a fly on the wall as my girls are city girls and scream when they see a bug lol should be interesting..the 4th was so much fun.. we picked up my mil and brought her too shes 89..i took pics and none of them turned out i was so bummed..it was windy and somewhat cloudy..seems impossible to get a sun burn but i look as red as a tomatoe,face arms and chest..its blistered and sore..i think one of my meds is sun sensitive ouch!!..the garage sale will be this coming weekend..wanted to get it all set up before family went to the cabin..they will be home wed and sale will be thurs,fri and sat..i had a great NSV as i was getting things ready for gsale i came across some clothes that i bought and they didnt fit but now they do :D hope you all have a great day and welcome bootsie. rosey :wave:

ladyinweighting 07-05-2010 07:26 PM

Strategies -

I was thinking it might be useful/fun if we each posted a strategy that we use to help us lose (or maintain) weight. What do you think?

Here is one that I use all the time - make a few low-cal meals that I can keep in the refrig & have ready for the week when I need a "quick-fix." Last week I made my Irish brown bread & carrot/sweet potato/dill soup.

Lynn

akrosey49 07-05-2010 11:34 PM

Great idea lynn..mine is dont bring it into the house ! Rosey :wave:

Bootsie 07-06-2010 12:12 AM

I been reading Awaken the Giant within by Anthony Robbins and in it he tells to use a leverage. So I made a commitment with my best friend not to go over 1400 calories and I have to write everything down I eat ,except for Sunday, that is my free day. In fact I have started to write it down above the threads. I been doing this for 14 weeks and I have lost 16 pounds. I want to loose 35 more and stop and learn how to maintain my weight.

Thank You for the welcome!

ellabella 07-06-2010 09:45 AM

Checking in - didn't realize that I hadn't since what? Friday? Oh, wow. Well, it's been a busy few days, to say the least, what with the beach on Saturday with DH, a relatively lazy, aimless day on Sunday while the young ones were at assorted and sundry cook-outs (We just weren't feeling the "cook-out" thing; told you I'm becoming more and more anti-social!) but we sat out in the back yard for a while in the sun, and then did something...went somewhere....good grief, I can't remember! Yesterday we went with all the kids except for son & his S/O who went to a wedding on Long Island (in NY, for those unfamiliar with the east coast Sunday night, got home at 5:30 in the AM, and slept most of the day) to a water/picnic kind of park about 40 minutes from where we live. The kids had fun swimming and cavorting about, but for the adults, I've got to say, transporting an outdoor barbecue in addition to all the other equipment and paraphernalia, setting it all up at the park for the day and then taking it all down, packing it all back up, and getting it - and the children - back into the cars and home again is not my idea of great fun anymore. In fact, it's SO darned labor intensive, that DH and I are contemplating having a pool installed for my daughter - if she wants one, of course. They are an awful lot of work - especially for us here in New England, where they only get used a couple or three months out of the year. We'll see. Anyway, we're now in the midst of that dreaded heat wave - accompanied by humidity, of course, and being outside is distinctly uncomfortable, to say the least. I have to do a little grocery shopping this morning sometime, just to replenish our fruit supply and pick up a few other things. Then, I don't know what we'll be doing for my last mini-vacation day at home. Not much, I don't think.
Turtle-boy is getting big, by the way, and is into everything. Auuurgh. Like having a little kid again! Picture below if it isn't too big. My eating? Um. Reasonable....if I wasn't trying to lose, that is. Reasonable for maintaining the status quo, which isn't exactly what I'm wanting to do. I've got to re-motivate myself, here! Yikes!
So Jamie improves with age, does he, Karen3? See? That's how you know it's fiction and not real life! Oh, well, I love their story, so I guess I'll just keep plodding along with them.
Mary, I used hypnosis to quit smoking 4 years ago (or was it 5? I can't remember!). When I was working on my graduate degree, I interned with a hypnotherapist working in a pain clinic. It's amazing what our minds can accomplish when we want them to. Anyway, I made my own hypnosis tape, listened to it, and never smoked again, never experienced any withdrawal symptoms at all, either. I tried it for controlling my eating, but haven't done as well with the eating part. I guess it's because with smoking, you can just stop, but you have to keep eating - just less - and I'm not so hot with "less" :shrug:.
Isabella, did you decide on a car yet? Omigosh, just reading about your exercise plans has made me exhausted. That, and running about behind Boo, eh? You'll end up a stick, lady! (Which is one thing I need never worry about becoming!)
Rosey, time for a new avatar pic! You don't look anything like your old one anymore! You're looking fab...and getting better every day! Way to GO, Rosey!
Congrats, Lynn...I knew you could do it! I've never met a more determined person, I swear! 150 by Labor Day? Piece of cake for you! (Ooops. Maybe not cake. Piece of celery?)
Freda, I hope you're feeling loads better! Fireworks, eh? Yup, they've been setting the danged things off all over the place, haven't they? <grumble, grumble...I didn't have to work, but sleeping is always a pleasant option...)
Bobbi, I think I'm going to give that cilantro/lime dressing a try. I'm in the "like cilantro" group.
PT, oh, yeah. You need to read that book! (Of course, be warned....it leads to buying more, and more...reading Diana Gabaldon is a lot like eating popcorn.) As for a GG gathering, it sounds like something we really ought to work on planning for ourselves. I DO think we deserve it. We should do it somewhere warm in the winter to get me out of the snow for a weekend!
Hi Bootsie - we're always glad to welcome a new GG! Jump right in!
And wishing all the rest of the GG's a happy first week in July!
:grouphug:
Z

Bobbolink 07-06-2010 09:48 AM

Good Morning!
You that know me won't be surprised by my tip, FIBER! Keep your fiber up and the weight drops off. You need to drink lots of water with added fiber or it can back fire on you, right Karen (Fl)! I also like to make up vegetable soup and put in individual containers for quick lunches, faithfully write down every morsel that enters my mouth on Fitday.
This recipe was on Hungry Girl this AM, sounds good. I'll replace the legs with breast, I don't like legs. Guess what the breading is? Fiber One, my fav!

Quote:

Fee-Fi-Faux-Fry...
Ingredients:
6 raw chicken drumsticks, skin removed
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1/2 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
1 1/4 tsp. black pepper
3/4 tsp. garlic powder
3/4 tsp. onion powder
3/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
Optional: additional seasonings, to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside. Season chicken with 1/4 tsp. salt and set aside.
Using a blender or food processor, grind Fiber One cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Transfer crumbs to a large sealable plastic bag. Add remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and all other seasonings. Seal bag and shake to mix. Open bag and, if you like, season crumbs to taste with additional seasonings. Set aside.
Place egg substitute in a wide bowl. Two at a time, coat drumsticks in egg substitute, gently shake to remove excess liquid and place in the bag with the crumbs. Seal and shake to coat. Transfer crumb-coated drumsticks to the baking sheet and repeat with remaining drumsticks.
Bake in the oven for 20 minutes and then carefully flip. Bake for another 15 - 20 minutes, until crispy and cooked through. Enjoy!
MAKES 3 SERVINGS

Serving Size: 2 drumsticks
Calories: 184
Fat: 4.5g
Sodium: 567mg
Carbs: 10.5g
Fiber: 5g
Sugars: <0.5g
Protein: 28g
POINTSŪ value 3*

jess1 07-06-2010 10:09 AM

Good Morning, All....
My tip is Rosey's tip: keep it out of the house! Someone mentioned (Isabella, I think) that they portion out things like chips into little baggies... I snorted through my nose at that one! I'd be sitting there with a pile of used baggies all around me and chip crumbs all over the front of my shirt! No, out of sight is NOT out of mind, but it's at least out of mouth.

Except for the neighbors and the fireworks, it was a quiet weekend. My GOOD neighbors brought me bbq chicken last night (so good!); otherwise, I stuck close to the home front.

PT/Zoe, Rosey sent me some pictures of Alaska... gorgeous! I thought (fleetingly) that that would be a good place for a GGGathering. Then I though about the price and the temperature and decided it might not be a good idea, after all. Let's think about this! Yes, some place midway that's just perfect, not too hot and not too cold... It would be so much fun!

I've dug Outlander out of the pile and will get into it. I've heard good things about it, but I didn't realize there are 7 in the series. I'm looking forward!

Nothing else. My AZ family will be here on Wednesday or Thursday (a deer committed suicide via their truck grille, so repairs have to be made), but I don't think it'll affect the timing of the visit too much. I'm so ready to get back on my own program. I don't feel well being bloaty and bulgy and blah. It's bad enough that it's SUMMER, without all this other stuff going on!

Everyone, hope your day is a good one....... be safe!

retiredone 07-06-2010 10:51 AM

No, it wasn't me who mentioned bagging up treats. I'd have them all eaten before they went in the snack bags. It was Freda, I believe.

Gotta run but I'll be back.

Karen31 07-06-2010 11:34 AM

Good Morning! It sounds like everyone survived the weekend. I am so glad the fireworks SHOULD be over now! It is fun but I get tired after a week of them!!

I finally took the plunge! I bought a iphone last week! And as soon as I can convince it that I AM the BOSS I think I will like it! Anybody have one? Any tips? I've put yahoo messenger on it and I plan to get my facebook on it sometime soon. Anybody here have facebook?

Well, I need to get busy and get in the shower--meeting my Aunt, cousins and my sister and her daughter for lunch at a place called Humble Pie! I haven't been there before but I guess they serve soup, sandwiches and wonderful homemade pies.

Have a great day and I will get back to you later.

akrosey49 07-06-2010 11:35 AM

Hi everyone..i changed my avatar like you all suggested ill use this pic until i have a better one..thanks for the compliments i didnt realize it was noticeable..my dh and dd and grdd called from the cabin last nite..my girls saw a mama brown bear and cubs that crossed in the cabin yard they where so excited..lol..i have been lazy..my face and chest are still red and blistered..ouch and itch :( i luv the outlander series..when your sad the book ends thats a good read..thankfully she's writing another..i like to here everyones stratagies for helping us stay on track..if i had bad food options in the house last nite id be hanging my head in digust at myself today..as i had the munchies bad.. i had sf jello a good choice but didnt satisfy like a yummy gooey deseart :D ok today will be better ttfn and (((hugs))) rosey :wave:

Karen3 07-06-2010 06:49 PM

Hi all....just had to tell you I bought my Nancy car. Got a Ocean Gray Nissan Altima 4 door sedan with gray cloth seats. So pretty and so easy to drive. So excited.Talked to Nancy all the way home from Ocala and could hear her laughing at me. Darn I miss her so much. Told you I'd be the crazy ole lady talking to herself....it was wonderful.

Still dreary here with hugh storms every afternoon. Just had one that dropped about 2" of rain in minutes. Pool is full. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow, but after rain temp drop to like 78 I won't mind more clouds and weather.

My secret for staying Op is the vegie pot. When I crave ooze gooey chewy sweet treat I heat a bowl of vegies. The hot vegies fill me and the beans change my thoughts to something else...like gas pains. For the big treat i'll sneak a bowl of cereal. Guess been around Bobbie too long and gotten hooked on fiber. Guess why felt "puffy" last week.

Hey can I sleep in the garage and look at the new car, Nancy???? Can i Can i can i hugs karen3

Stitches 07-06-2010 10:40 PM

Just found this site today and so pleased to find this 50+ group. I'm 53, a woman of faith, married for almost 28 years to the love of my life. Have two sons that are happily married to wonderful young women and blessed with a 19-month grandboy. I've been blessed with good health but my weight is definately slowing me down. I must gain control of my weight so I can chase my grandson like I chased his dad.

I've struggled with my weight for years; had great success with WW, but over the last 5 years regained 45 of of the 60lbs I had previously lost. I really don't want to spend the $40+ a month to rejoin WW.

I know how to lose weight...lots of experience with that. Keeping it off is as many of you may know is a major challenge. I've never really participated in online forums and I'm hoping you Golden Girls can help me be accountable during my journey and support me once my goal is reached.

In return I will do my best to be supportive of all of you and share my experiences, and low point recipes.

Bootsie 07-06-2010 11:24 PM

:welcome:Stiches!

I just joined here too. Gotta love em! The sight is quite helpful , there is a place above where we can keep our menu and keep me from going over my calories. I am on 1400 right now but after reading calorie counters , wow those girls have really lost the weight. one gave some really good advice on calories and exercise. She made me sit up and take notice! WOW!
I love 3 Fat Chicks, you can just go all over and make friends every where! It is great you are here hope to see more post from you.