Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #16  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

retiredone - I allow extra calories on Sundays, but include specifics when I write out my food the night before. The extra treat keeps my morale up. Does the cake freeze well when frosted?

ThighsBeGone - you are one smart lady to lock up the temptations. I agree with you - whatever it takes!!

Trish - how are you doing today?

Lynn - seems there are many of us calorie counters here!

Gayle - as you see by my join date, I should've made goal by now, too, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I came close before, but regained. I suspect many of us can say that, too. I, too, feel different on some days about what works, and make changes, if I need to, within the calorie limits.

Bobbi - thanks for the tip about Kernel Seasonings not make popcorn soggy. I'll look for it. You have lots of good ideas to help us stay OP!

I made it through a family birthday party last night with no problem. I think planning ahead, and taking calorie-friendly foods with me helped immensely. The dinner was at a cabin my son rented, and it's easier for me to stay OP somewhere else, than when I'm at home, preparing everything, and dealing with leftovers. Plus, I just tend to make too many types of foods, wanting to be sure I have everyone's favorites, you know?

Well, I'm headed out to stock up on more fresh produce. Who knew I could get so excited about spaghetti squash, lol? I'll look for Kernel Seasonings, too.

Hugs,
Old 10-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #17  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Another calorie counter here.
In addition I:
  • Eat 6 small meals
  • Eat a mostly whole foods vegetarian diet
  • Balance my eating (40/30/30 every eating occasion) as much as possible
  • Exercise moderately
Calorie counting works best for me because it is flexible. There is never an excuse to go off-plan. Traveling, social occasions, work conferences, etc. present challenges, but with planning - I can adjust and still stay OP.

It took me a while to find my correct calorie level for maintenance. My body didn't want to settle into one weight until I hit about 120. Now - It has stayed within a 3 lb. range for the last 12-13 months.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Hi Everyone,

A quick fly by a busy day. I usually watch my carbs, but you girls make me want to count calories. I know that I can do both as I've done that in the past. It is really cold here in SC and I love soups, stews, beans etc. when it is cold weather. Trouble DH doesn't. But with just the 2 of us now, that is easy to handle.

Bobbolink I loved your suggestions and tips. Thanks for sharing.

Gayle By my join date, I should have made it to goal too. I got close a few years ago, but didn't got off my plan and never was able to get back to it for very long. always feel if I keep trying that I will eventually make it.

CountingDown Actually it is your statement of "Calorie counting works best for me because it is flexible" is what made me rethink calorie counting. It fits anywhere.

Jane Saving extra calories for Sunday. If I remember right when we did the old WW plan years ago, weren't we allowed to save calories for special occasions? Actually, the old original plan was so much easier to lose weight on for me. Wish I still had a copy of it.

Well, girls I've got to get ready for Bible study.

Everybody else: Y'all have a great Sunday evening;
Old 10-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #19  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Hi everyone, I just turned 50 a few months ago, so I guess I belong here.

I have had success with Weight Watchers in the past, but like many of you I now count calories. Actually, I have been really bad about writing them down lately, but I am still losing so I am kind of experimenting with how long that will last. I guess I am kind of in a rhythm, and will just go with it for now.

My biggest challenge is getting back into exercise. Each week I say I am going to do it, but it never happens. I used to go to the gym faithfully every morning before work, but then a couple of years ago I had a foot/ankle problem and I got out of the habit. Plus I now start work at 8:00 instead of 9:00, which is no excuse, I could still do it. I still pay for my gym membership every month, but just don't make use of it. Kind of stupid.

As far as eating I find that protein and fiber keep me feeling full. And staying away from sugar and junky carbs greatly reduces my cravings. I still get the cravings during that time of the month (yes, I still have the joy of that!) but it is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Well, nice getting to know you ladies. Continued success to us all.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM   #20  

Well, I made up my mind today to count calories for 2 reasons. 1 to get portion control and 2 so I can be sure I'm not eating more calories than I should. It is so easy to do that with low carb. I like the idea of getting plenty of protein and fiber so plan to work on that one as well. Just want to make sure I am getting more quality, healthy carbs. Got my plan started for tomorrow and ready to go. Going to start my exercise again as well. I got away from exercise when I was going to the chiropractor last year and he told my I couldn't exercise for a while. I've done it from time to time but not regular. I will start that back tomorrow. I am 66 and have to go kind of slow because of back etc, but I am going to do the 1 mile Walk Away the Pounds by Sansone and then I have some exercises the chiro gave me for my back, shoulders and neck. Maybe if I start all that at once, I can get into a routine.

Catch y'all tomorrow.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:17 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 330/282/250

Height: 5'7"

I am doing WW Works good for me so far, no meetings just books that have been passed down 21 pounds so far in a month YAY ME! and to add quit drinking pop, (MT DEW) *LOL* so the weight has just fell of now I feel like I hit a flat spot..not loosing so fast..Got to switch the game up a little..anyone have any ideas if you have been on ww please let me know..
Old 10-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #22  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I'm 53 and was having trouble maintaining my weight after years on WW. Finally tried South Beach last year and promptly lost 27# in about 3 months. I limit my grains to whole ones and only eat 2-3 servings a day, but I eat much more vegetables (4 1/2 cups a day). I also use more fats (2Tbs. olive oil and a nut serving daily). I find it really freeing to not count points or calories anymore and am maintaining well as long as I follow this plan. I eat no sugar or white flour in anything, eat fruits and veggies more than I have in my life. I kind of feel like I'm a whole foods person now. I really read labels which has been a real eye opener for me.

My challenges are eating at family/friend get togethers when most if not all the food is not SB compliant. I sometimes try to sneak some of my own food in somewhere, or just try to eat very little of what is served. I have been able to maintain my weight with occasional off plan splurges, but I always feel so much better, less bloating, etc. when sticking with SB. I have been able to drop my cholesterol (which all of a sudden shot up with menopause) down 30 points since eating this way.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 AM   #23  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

When I was in weight-loss mode, I didn't follow any specific plan. I cut out junk food, watched portion sizes, and limited carbs and fats (emphasing lean protein, nonfat dairy, lots and lots of veggies). I also exercised regularly. When I hit plateaus, I made adjustments and eventually over a year, lost the weight.

It wasn't until I had been in maintenance for several months, that I started keeping a food diary and counting calories. I had LOST weight successfully many times before, it was keeping it off that I struggled with. Over time, I have learned what my daily calorie "budget" is and I have continued with the food diary as a way of staying conscious about my eating. I also exercise daily.

If I ate whatever my tummy wanted, I would absolutely regain everything. I still really like carbs and junk and sweets and the rest. I have to watch, and measure, and weigh, and will probably have to do that forever. Sometimes I get tired of it, but most of the time I do think it's all worth it.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #24  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Welcome to 3FC, Stylist83. Sounds like you have a plan in place. But don't expect to keep losing large amounts after that initial loss. We'd all like that to happen but it doesn't. A slow loss of 1 or 2 pounds a week is actually really good. So don't feel discouraged if you don't see big losses like you first did. Just keep on plan and you'll soon know if it's working.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #25  
GmaTo8

Hi all,

Stylist - to 3FC, especially this forum! Retiredone is so right when she said losing slows down after being OP for awhile. It also slows down with age. Not fair, lol. But if you've hit a plateau, you might want to shake your WW points up a bit, eating an average of the same, but a few less one day, and a few more the next. Add in (or beef up) some exercise and I think you'll see better results. Please keep posting here, and tell us more about yourself.

Counting down - congratulations on your success!!

Trish - I think you'll like counting calories with your lifestyle. Seems you have a great plan in place for food and exercise, both. YAY!

Judy - to you, too!! Sorry about your ankle/foot problems. I have plantar's fasciitis, and a knee with arthritis, so I have to be careful what I do for exercise, too. A recumbent bike, stretch bands, and weights are what I use. (Not often enough, though.)

Anne - congrats for your success with SB. I often eat the protein bars for my afternoon snack. I like the taste of the fiber bars better, the the protein ones give me energy.

MBN - boy, you said a mouthful! Maintaining is much harder than losing. I'm embarrassed to admit it, but my success story (along with many, many others') was written up in the the 3FCs book, "3 Fat Chicks on a Diet", and then I gained the weight back. Btw, I'm thinking that's you in the avatar, and you look Great!!

I've got a family issue going on: one of my DGDs has been diagnosed with H1N1, and it's possible her siblings have it, too. If those of you that believe in prayer will pray for Makenzie and siblings, I'd appreciate it. On a lighter note, I haven't used this stressfulness to overeat. I know that if I do, then I'll have 2 problems, instead of just one.

It is very nice to come here daily and check in with you ladies, and read about your weight loss, and everyday lives.

Hugs,

Last edited by Jane; 10-19-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #26  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Jane - prayers ascending!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #27  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Jane, prayers for your grandchildren.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #28  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Jane ~ prayers for your grandchildren from here too
Old 10-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #29  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

I just sent prayers your grandkids way and one for you, it's hard to see your kids sick.

Quote:
one of my DGDs has been diagnosed with H1N1, and it's possible her siblings have it, too. If those of you that believe in prayer will pray for Makenzie and siblings,
Old 10-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #30  

Well today was not a good calorie counting day. Ate out today and did fine at restaurant, but didn't do well when I got home. I tried eating carbs I don't usually eat and it got away from me. I know I can't do that so it was a learning experience. Joined fitday and like some things, but I think it is easier for me to count calories with pencil & paper myself. Will just make today an off day and get back OP of low carb/calorie counting tomorrow.

Jane Prayers going up for the grands and family.
Closed Thread