Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #121  
Bobbi

S/C/G: 130/123/120

Height: 5’ 2”

Now you have me intrigued, Miracle noodles? Where do you get them? I'll have to google them and see what pops up.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #122  
Bobbi

Good Morning Girls!
Emily, nice to see a new face.
I googled the 'Miracle Noodles', found many sites that had them. They are kind of spendy but I'll wait for you Lynn to see what you think of them. I tried the tofu noodles this summer, they were o.k., is that what these miracle noodles are made of? The tofu came all ready, just heat them up. Do the miracle noodles come dry? When we have spaghetti, I use the whole wheat pasta and one serving fills me up. (2oz. dry = 210 calories)Those that use them, please go to your package and let me know how much fiber in a serving and what they're made of.
It's raining here, Thank the Lord! We set a new record of no rain in our area for 28 or 29 days. Yesterday when grocery shopping I found the last of the summers perennial at Hy-Vee. They were only .99 cents a bucket so I purchased plenty. What a deal
We purchase a new stainless steel oven yesterday that has 5 burners and a convection oven. I'm going to make DH a one bowl chocolate cake this afternoon to try it out. I found the recipe on allrecipe.com and all the reviews were fantstic.
Rosie...DH ears perked up when I told him about your moose, he's a big game hunter too. We're still eating the last elk he bagged.
Hi Zoe and Lynard, nice to hear from you again.
Isabella...so you drink a molasses latte in the mornings? I'l have to try that. I actually like the taste of it in my first cup of coffee. I only use a teaspoon so the calories aren't very much. (about 20)
I need to get busy and package up a new food mill I sold on ebay. I got it on sale for 19.99 and decided it was too small for the zillions of tomatoes we go through. I knew I'd never get my 20 bucks back on a rummage sale so I posted it on ebay. High bidder was $22.00 plus they pay the postage so I made a couple of bucks on that deal. I've had items on ebay all summer and really cleaned out the house. It's been mostly hunting and fishing items, all vintage and great shape. Enough gabbing, off to domestic stuff. Have a great day everyone.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #123  

Height: 5'1"

are the Miracle Noodles the shiritaki (not spelled right at all) that are advertised? I think they are tofu. I've seen mixed reviews. I love pasta, and Like bbobbi, i've relied on the whole wheat ones, but even they are a little high calorie. I'd love to find a good substitute.

Eagerly awaiting
Old 09-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Hi Everyone,

I heard about the Miracle Noodles from Zoe - [Zoe, WONDERFUL to see you posting again.] - I will make my report when I receive/prepare/eat them. [I feel like some kind of "food critic."] When I went online I found lots of tofu/****aki versions, but I ordered the ones that are actually named "Miracle Noodle" - found a couple of reviews that indicated these are the best.

OK --- off to the doctor's - searching for a diagnosis for a rash & a recommendation for a gyn - I have an ovarian cyst that is growing & may need to have some surgery to get a biopsy on it. My DD insists on accompanying me - bc I have not always kept her up to date on things (until I find out exactly what's wrong) she doesn't trust me to give her the "real scoop."

Have a good day, Everyone,

Lynn
Old 09-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #125  

the censors do not like the word "****aki"
Old 09-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #126  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Happy Friday! I buy the tofu sherataki noodles (somewhat similar to the miracle noodles) at my local grocery store. They are my pasta substitute, at only 40 calories per 2-serving bag. They become the basis for my substitute spagetti, chili, pad thai, tuna noodle casserole, and pretty much anything else that uses pasta noodles.

They come packed in water and the smell can be a little off-putting. But if you rinse them very well and dry them off (or allow to drain for a while), it goes away. They are definitely a little slipperier and chewier than regular pasta, but makes a more-than-acceptable substitute in my book.

I have read about the zero calorie miracle noodles, but I'd have to mail order them and it's easier to just use what I can buy locally. I've also read mixed reviews about the texture and taste, but maybe you can post how you find them? I'm always a fan of good no calorie stuff, when I can find it!

Side note: I was able to post "sherataki", my goodness, how were you spelling it?

Last edited by MBN; 09-25-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #127  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBN View Post
Happy Friday! I buy the tofu sherataki noodles (somewhat similar to the miracle noodles) at my local grocery store. They are my pasta substitute, at only 40 calories per 2-serving bag. They become the basis for my substitute spagetti, chili, pad thai, tuna noodle casserole, and pretty much anything else that uses pasta noodles.

They come packed in water and the smell can be a little off-putting. But if you rinse them very well and dry them off (or allow to drain for a while), it goes away. They are definitely a little slipperier and chewier than regular pasta, but makes a more-than-acceptable substitute in my book.

I have read about the zero calorie miracle noodles, but I'd have to mail order them and it's easier to just use what I can buy locally. I've also read mixed reviews about the texture and taste, but maybe you can post how you find them? I'm always a fan of good no calorie stuff, when I can find it!

Side note: I was able to post "sherataki", my goodness, how were you spelling it?
I was spelling it like the mushrooms.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #128  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyinweighting View Post
I was spelling it like the mushrooms.
Well, that explains it!
Old 09-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #129  
Ellabella

S/C/G: 194/162/145

Height: 5'6

Hello - it's SO nice to see/hear from all of you again, and also meet a few new Golden Girls, as well! The miracle noodles that we use are the ones right from the miracle noodle website (which is where I think you went, Lynn) and they are made from the konnyaku imo (also called shiritaki in some places) plant that DH says is related to the taro, which is a little bit like a sweet potato (but not exactly). MBN is right - the smell, when you open the package, isn't the greatest, but if you rinse them well under warm running water (I do it in a strainer) the smell goes away. I also squeeze them with paper towel to get the excess water out, and then just give them a quick little stir fry in a frying pan coated with PAM spray to dry them out. They have the texture, basically, of a rice noodle. Not everybody's cup of tea (or pasta substitute) I'm sure, but they work for us, and we're sticking with 'em. DH has actually lost 20 pounds over the past four months, and hasn't felt the slightest bit deprived.
So, summer's gone....what we had of a summer here in New England, anyway, and while I'm still feeling cheated, I find that I'm looking forward to switching to my fall wardrobe, and the new stuff I've bought over the past few months. I'm obviously not yet at my weight loss goal, but I'm feeling a lot better nonetheless, and feel better in my clothes now. I'm sure I'll be even happier once I'm down to, say, 140-ish, but for now, I'll take what I've got so far, and stick to my Christmas goal of 150. I think one good thing about getting....um....more mature is that I'm a little less frantic about getting things accomplished yesterday, and more comfortable just meandering slowly towards where I hope to be.
Well, back to work, and then I get two whole days to myself. Whoopee, huh? (I can't WAIT to retire!)

Z
Old 09-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #130  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Hello, everyone. This was my last day at the Goodwill Center until our church's turn rolls around again. Picked up 2 pair of almost brand new jeans today. One denim and one corduroy. Also found the cutest little work suit for baby. It looks just like a mechanic would wear. It's way too big for him yet but in a couple of years he'll be able to help his grandpa fix the car. So cute. Anyway, I'm beat out--dead on my feet. One of the ladies there that I was helping must about 20 years older than me and she had me worked to death. What a slave driver. But to her credit she did as much or more than I did. She's a real sweetie and I'd never say anything to her. It must have been as good as a workout.

It's amazing the stuff that people give to the Goodwill Center. I opened a big bag of clothing today and there must have been over 100 socks and hardly a matching pair! All kids socks for the most part, too. What did they think we were going to do with a bag of odd socks? Most used socks aren't fit to give away, let alone sell in a Goodwill store.

I made the most delicious bean soup yesterday. I cooked a cup of dry navy beans in the slow cooker. Then I added a couple of bouillon cubes, onions, carrots, turnips, cabbage and potato all diced. I let that cook until it was tender and then added half a large can of tomatoes with herbs, and a bay leaf or two. We had it for lunch today with toasted tomato sandwiches. We had gone to town this morning as DH didn't have a lunch bus run with the kids today. I was so hungry when we got home and it was great to have the soup ready when we stepped in the door. I'm going to have more for supper tonight-a total repeat of lunch. And I have a big casserole of baked beans in the oven and the odor is making me more than hungry.

Bobbi, I never thought of the hot drink as a molasses latte. Here in Newfoundland, molasses is often referred to as 'lassie so I guess I have a 'lassie latte. hahaha.

Weigh in day tomorrow. See you all then.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:58 PM   #131  

Hi Isabella,

Have you noticed that you and I are exactly the same weight?

Lynn

Last edited by ladyinweighting; 09-25-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 185/see tracker/125

Height: 4'11"

Hello everyone! Welcome back Lyn & Zoe!! I was writing a nice long post last night and POOF it was all gone!! Yes, I was very happy to get moved back to MO. We got here on May 15th, My son and his wife came on May 17th and spent about 3 months with us. My Dad wasn't doing good (good days and bad) and my son didn't want to take off and go on to Florida knowing that the Dr.s had all said it wasn't going to be long. My Dad passed away on July 4th. It was pretty hard on all of us but especially my younger brother, his birthday is July 4th and we had all planned a cookout and fireworks at his house for the kids. My brother went back and forth on if he would go through with the cookout or not. Well, my Dad would have wanted us to go ahead and that is what we did. Then a couple weeks later we took his ashes down to the lake (these were his wishes) and put them in the lake where he and all of as a family spent so much time growing up.

The first part of August my older brother brought a check to me from my Dad's estate and I just said "Dad is going to help me get my pool up and running" So that is what I have done with part of the inheritance. It is still a work in progress but I know my Dad is smiling down on me. He always had a pool and loved to have the grandkids and everybody over all summer. When we bought this house and it had an inground pool (in sad shape) we talked about it a lot with him. He said he was looking forward to coming over for dinners and a swim! I've been taking pictures as it progresses along so I'll see if I can get some to post on here. It has been kind of an exciting thing to do. I picked out the liner last week and it should be in next week. They will get it all set up and closed up for the Winter---- but come May it will be ready to go!!!

My son worked on re-roofing my brothers house while he was here (a little extra cash to go to Florida with) and while they did that I went over just about everyday for a week straight and used my brothers pool and lost 4 pounds.. So I am looking forward to having one all my own!! I know it's good exercise. Plus fun!!!

We still have our house in Colorado for sale!! I can't believe we have had it on the market for almost 2 years now. We did have a couple offers but we really didn't want to give it away. Our realtor sent an email last night and had a showing today--- haven't heard anything yet. If it doesn't sell soon we will have to go out and Winterize it. Not looking forward to that--- they have already had snow and 20 degree days!!!

I need to go and finish getting my kitchen cleaned up but will try to get back here later this evening. Welcome to the new faces!! I look forward to getting to know everyone.

Here are a few pictures--- the other dog with Ginger and Sissy on the Swing is my sons long hair Chihuahua. The one picture with the blue bottom, is the liner I chose for the pool---what do you think? The others are just a couple pictures of the house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2478.jpg (46.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg natstone_full1.jpg (40.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 051.jpg (29.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 057.jpg (32.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 044.jpg (36.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-26-2009, 07:06 AM   #133  
Linda

S/C/G: 282/218/150

Height: 5'7"

Hi ladies, hope you don't mind if I chime in. I'm going to be checking out the noodles.

Isabella, some of the bargains at the Goodwill are pretty amazing. I donate the clothes I've either out-grown or out-shrunk (on the way up and now on the way down) to them, and some of the stuff has been first-rate and even never-used. Ralph Lauren and St. Johns come to mind. So I never hesitate to go look-see, because you never know what you'll find!

Karen, your house is lovely. I can just see you curled on that sofa in front of those big windows with the fire crackling. We're currently looking at houses here in PA and a fireplace is one thing I really want (must have--a big kitchen!). I wouldn't mind a pool either, but alas, would also need a pool boy to take care of it. I love your liner for the bottom, I must say. Beautiful.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #134  
Bobbi

Good Saturday Morning Girls!
Linda, always good to have new faces and words of wisdom. All us 50+ girls know how to lose weight, we just have a problem keeping it off. Feel free to join Lynn's Halloween challenge on the sticky area too.
I purchased a new printer 3 days ago and it's given me nothing but grief so I took it back last night and plugged my old one back in. It's a HP and runs good except for envelopes,
It won't print out envelopes I was on the phone with some dude from India for a couple of hours and he couldn't figure out what was wrong either. I make all my own greeting cards and like to make matching envelops.
I'm working on more tomatoes today, what's everyone else doing?
The challenge is going good for me, I haven't gone backwards.
Karen, I was hoping you'd post pictures of your new home, thanks. Linda was right about the cracklin fire, I'll add a good murder mystery novel and a hot cup of apple cider,cocoa, or Isabella's lassie latte. Sugar free of course.
Keep in touch everyone.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:24 AM   #135  
Bobbi

I just checked into the challenge and see Lynn and Isabella are the same weight and both have lost 4 pounds so far.........Way to go!
Lynn... you can still get a point for exercising, just use hand weights or bands. Or sit on a chair and do legs lifts, etc.
Closed Thread