3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~March Golden Girls~ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/165651-%7Emarch-golden-girls%7E.html)

Karen3 03-29-2009 09:51 AM

Morning all in a quick flyby....The darnest thing happened. I looked again for a sofa and struck out. Around 3pm we called friends to see if they wanted to go out to dinner. They were going furniture hunting in Ocala. Needless to say we went along. I found my sofa, they found their set and we had dinner at Red Lobster and I didn't have time to get my lips sewn shut and ate a hot just out of the oven biscuit....I heard Lynn and stopped at one....Thanks I would have doved into the entire basket without her voice!

Last year 2 rich chocolate colored chairs followed me home and the new sofa is sage green....like a smokey grey/green. Delivery is Wed! page 6 in sofas on website of Rooms to Go.

Isabella....Welcome to Grandma land! It is the bestest. Your entire responsibilty is just love them. And spoil them rotten and then give back to the parents.....recommend skip parenthood go directly to grandparenting. Besides when they are bad you can laugh and know it's payback time for when your kids were rotten. So sorry about your FIL and glad you are able to help with all the paper workwork that will be coming in.

Susan....Used to make zucchine bread all the time and it freezes well. Try adding a cup of bakers chocoa to the batter. It comes out the moistest chocolate cake taste in the world and baker chocoa is diet friendly. We would have so many squash from are garden I would use my crabpot as a mixing bowl....started with 15 cups of flour (which by the way is 5 lbs of flour minus 2 cups). Always used eggbeaters cause it would have been endless breaking eggs....Nice thing now is DD send me a couple in the mail.

Good thing this was a quick fly by or I'd have written pages.....when mouth isn't running fingers are.......bye...Karen3

meowee 03-29-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by susannp (Post 2674830)
I don't know how to copy in the recipe thread, but know how to do it here. Can someone tell me what to do to add in the recipe thread?

Exactly the same as entering things into this thread. :D

ladyinweighting 03-29-2009 10:34 AM

Hello Everyone,

Bobbi, thank you for the muffin recipe. I will make & let you know how they taste.

Last night I engaged in a "shark-like feeding frenzy." Today, will be a high exercise/low calorie day. I'd like to end the month in the 151's or 150's.

I begin my course on Tuesday. May be a little scarce for the next 4 weeks.

Lynn

susannp 03-29-2009 07:16 PM

Hey Karen, I know what you mean about all the zucchini in the garden. I like to put mine in my food processor and shred them, then put in individual freezer bags, the amount my recipes call for. I agree, zucchini breads freeze well. I make the muffins for Mother and freeze them, just take one out and pop it in the microwave and serve it with fruits and juice for a healthy breakfast for her. She loves them.

Have a great evening, hope everyone had a good weekend!

Susann

Bobbolink 03-30-2009 11:34 AM

Good Morning!
Lynn...that recipe for zucchini was from Susann, the one I mentioned was the 'crispy cornmeal scones'. I haven't had time to post it yet but I will. It's a keeper.
Susann....I freeze my zucchini in 2 cups portions and use for bread during the winter. I also make many batches of low calorie zucchini soup in individual servings and freeze. I love zucchini!
Karen3...I have a recipe for marble zucchini bread, not only is it delicious but pretty. I got it off the allrecipes.com site. Chocolate really adds great flavor to bread.
Isabella...nice to see you back! Sorry to hear of the loss of FIL.
You all have a great day, we're splurging and going to a Firemens Ebelskiver feed tonight at the church, good thing it's not April 1st yet. (That's when I go back to counting calories)

Bobbolink 03-30-2009 11:49 AM

These were some tips taken out of a vinegar book.

COOKING TRICKS

Condiments When getting to the bottom of a catsup bottle, add a little vinegar and swish it
around to make catsup stretch further. Th
is
technique will work for other condiments
as well

Dairy products

You can still hard-boil a cracked egg by adding 1 tablespoon vinegar to the boiling
water
. The vinegar will prevent egg white
from running out
Fish and seafood
Add a tablespoon or more of vinegar when
frying or boiling fish to reduce fishy tastes
and smells and to keep meat so
ft.

Give canned shrimp and fish a freshly
caught ta
ste by covering it in sherry and
adding 2 tablespoons vinegar
. Soak for
15 m
inutes, then prepare as desired.
To keep fish white, soak for 20 minutes in a
mixture of 1 quart water and 2 tablespoons

vinegar.

Fruits and vegetables
When cooking fruit on the stovetop, add a
spoonful of vinegar to improve flavor.

When making mashed potatoes, add 1 tablespoon vinegar
once you've used enough

milk
. This will help keep potatoes white.
Whip them to desired consistency

In a tomato sauce or a tomato-base soup,

add 1 or 2 tablespoons vinegar just before
completing the cooking process. Flavors
will be enhanced

Meat
Add zip to a pound of hamburger by adding

garl

ic wine vinegar and teaspoon mustard.
Work these ingredients into meat

before making into patties.

• Improve the flavo
r of boiled ham by adding

1 tablespoon vinegar to cooking water

The acid content and tangy flavor of vinegar

makes it an excellent ingredient in a
mar
inade for meat, poultry, fish, or vegetables.

Vinegar can also tenderize tough cuts
of meat

susannp 03-30-2009 11:54 AM

Bobbi, I've made that marble zucchini bread, wasn't it the bomb? It was really good and looked so pretty, looks like we slaved all day in the kitchen...lol.

Well, I didn't go down on the scales this morning, but I know that I've been doing alot of strength training, and muscle weighs more than fat. I also think I was retaining some fluid, so maybe tomorrow they will read something different, let's just hope it's less....

Yesterday I did my Walk Strong workout, that's cardio and weight training, today I did my Walk and Kick, that's cardio and kickboxing. Each was 30 minutes long, and then I walked 35 minutes with g/f when I got home from work this morning........I CAN HARDLY MOVE....lol.

Everyone have a great Monday. The sun is shining here, and it's going to be a beautiful day!

Susann

ladyinweighting 03-30-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinweighting (Post 2674959)
Hello Everyone,

Bobbi, thank you for the muffin recipe. I will make & let you know how they taste.

Last night I engaged in a "shark-like feeding frenzy." Today, will be a high exercise/low calorie day. I'd like to end the month in the 151's or 150's.

I begin my course on Tuesday. May be a little scarce for the next 4 weeks.

Lynn

Ooops - Sorry, Susan. Thank you for the recipe.

Lynn

ladyinweighting 03-30-2009 01:50 PM

Hi Everyone,

My DD found some great frozen veggie souffle's. They were in the kosher section of Wegman's. I will find out name and post.

Windy, cloudy, VERY cold today. Making final adjustments to my course materials.

Have a good day, everyone,

Lynn

meowee 03-30-2009 03:08 PM

BooHoo . . . everything outside has turned all white again . . . ;cry:

susannp 03-31-2009 05:43 AM

Good Morning all,

Hey Lynn, you are welcome, let me know how it turns out.

Karen3, glad you found your sofa, I looked for months, finally settled for something, wish I hadn't...lol.

Meow, Meow, Meow, I'm sending wishes for sunshine and warm weather your way, it's not great here, but at least we don't have any of the white stuff.

I have a really good sounding recipe for turkey sausage and mushroom quiche, but haven't found the turkey sausage yet. Will look some more tho, cause I want to try them.

Ok, off to do my workout, my legs are so sore....lol. But, not as bad as yesterday. Oh, down 1 lb, not as much as I had hoped for, but I have to remember that I went down 10 lbs in one month, so, I'm happy for that.

Everyone have a great day!!

Susann

meowee 03-31-2009 06:46 AM

Still wildly wet and windy and oh so WHITE around northeastern Nova Scotia . . . guess Mother Nature neglected to adhere to the old saying about "in like a Lion; out like a Lamb".

:high: on that 1 lb loss, Chickie . . . that's how it's done . . . one pound at a time.

I'm still stuck on that 'smidge' under 210 number -- the fact that I got into a very large (at least half a pound) serving of not too lean ground beef yesterday has not helped -- and since this place does not recognize 'smidges', guess 210 will be my new number for the end of March. I am going to wait until tomorrow morning to actually change my ticker, though, just in case a miracle occurs today. :lol:

Oh well, I'm obviously not planning any outdoor things today since it is going to continue snowing all day. :mad: I do have some more housework kind of stuff I can do and hopefully I'll do some knitting. :shrug:

Hope the rest of you have a glorious Spring day . . . :grouphug:

meowee 03-31-2009 06:50 AM

Hey . . . BOBBI . . . I just noticed your great tips about vinegar . . . for those who care, or need to care (i.e., we diabetics). Vinegar does a marvellous job of reducing the glycemic load of any meal so that the body digests the carbs in that meal more slowly resulting in overall better blood sugar levels. A good reason to include salad with your meals.

ladyinweighting 03-31-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowee (Post 2677983)
Hey . . . BOBBI . . . I just noticed your great tips about vinegar . . . for those who care, or need to care (i.e., we diabetics). Vinegar does a marvellous job of reducing the glycemic load of any meal so that the body digests the carbs in that meal more slowly resulting in overall better blood sugar levels. A good reason to include salad with your meals.

Any type of vinegar?

Bobbolink 03-31-2009 09:20 AM

Good Morning Girls!
It's raining cats and dogs here, I have to make ANOTHER trip into town on MIL business. They told us yesterday to purchase at least 3 pairs of black pants with elastic for her because of medical problems and bleeding. I'm going to buy her 7 pairs, one for each day.
At least my car will get a good washing in all this rain. Unfortunately we live on a gravel road and it'll get re-splattered.
Lynn...the book I have with all the great tips uses Distilled White Vinegar for everything.
Hi everyone, no time to chat. I'll post a couple other vinegar tips from this great book.
Baking Tips
Baking soda...Use vinegar to determine if old baking soda is still good enough for baking. Pour 2 Tablespoons vinegar in a small dish, add 1 teaspoon baking soda. Good baking soda should make the vinegar froth significantly.
Bread...Make the crust of homemade bread a nice, golden brown by removing it from the oven shortly before baking time is complete and brushing it with vinegar. Return to oven to finish baking.
You can help homemade bread rise by adding 1 Tablespoon vinegar for every 2- 1/2 cups flour in the recipe. Reduce other liquids in recipe proportionately.
Meringue...Make a fluffier meringue that is also more stable by adding vinegar to egg whtes before beating. For every 3 egg whites in recipe, add 1/2 teaspoon vinegar.
Pies...Reduce the overly sweet flavor in fruit pies or other desserts by adding a teaspoon of vinegar.