3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   Active Folks Over 50 -- #21 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/163346-active-folks-over-50-21-a.html)

JayEll 02-01-2009 10:28 PM

Active Folks Over 50 -- #21

:welcome2:

-------------
Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

Happy February! I figured post-Super Bowl was a good time to begin a new thread.

How did everyone do with the game parties? I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but I did still show a calorie deficit... though not much of one. :o

But, another day has come!

Jay

meowee 02-02-2009 08:56 AM

Good Morning . . . :grouphug:

Since I live in a football-less bubble, I don't even know who won. :lol: Hope it was a great game for all you watchers, though.

:wave:

JayEll 02-02-2009 12:32 PM

meowee, it was a cliffhanger, and it came down to the last minute of the game, and a fantastic, incredible catch. :faint:

I went to step class this morning, and I'm glad I went early because it's going to rain all day here. I think later I'll do my crunchless abs tape.

I'm really liking the way my body feels after that class, even if I don't stay for the whole thing. I use a lot more and different muscles. :D

See ya!

Jay

CountingDown 02-02-2009 06:17 PM

Hi all!
Jay - the ending of the game was spectacular! Those feet stayed inbounds - amazing!

Congrats on finding the step class, it sounds like a good workout!

I gave blood today, so I am altering the workout routine a bit for today. And my virtual trainer warned me that my next session is my "body and fitness test". Hmm - sounds ominous. I will report back on Wed.

Otherwise, it was a typical Monday at work, and we hope to get in some Wii sports and maybe some pinball tonight.

Hope everyone had a great start to the week!

flowingair 02-02-2009 09:18 PM

Hi,
It sure was a great game. I don't usually watch a lot of football, but it was a great game. The finish was incredible. I ate healthy snacks during the game. It really helped to plan ahead.

We have our second day in a row with temperatures in the 30's. It's a heat wave.

Jay I'll have to try that dish next time I'm in Naples.

Have a super Tuesday.

meowee 02-03-2009 10:45 AM

We've got a snow wave. In other words, nothing is new. :lol3:

the slim me 02-03-2009 01:41 PM

Hi all,

I got home at 8 on Sunday and just caught the last half of the Super Bowl. Awsome playing on both sides. I really wasn't routing for either side so I could enjoy the plays made. My grandson was for the Cardinals and said that after the game he went into his room and cried. He's 9. i guess some of the older guy probably did the same thing! Did anyone watch Ellen talk about the game? FUNNY. "the one guy threw the ball. this other guy caught it".

more snow for us tonight. Darn that groundhog!

Freda

CountingDown 02-03-2009 07:37 PM

Lori - I think that heat wave is over up here -7 windchill right now. And more snow :(

Freda - seems like the groundhog ALWAYS sees his shadow in MI.

A busy but good day here. Work is getting busy again - deadlines looming for several major projects.

But, I am still keeping balance among body, mind, spirit - which is a key for me. Today's workout was yoga, and aerobics - feels good to break a sweat :)

Well, time for some Wii sports - DH has it set up and is looking expectantly at me.

Have a GREAT Wed. all!

JayEll 02-04-2009 08:05 AM

Really cold for us here... all things being relative... brrrrr! Down in the low 30s, freeze warnings, etc.

Yeah, Freda, I was sorry that the Cardinals lost because I like Kurt Warner and I like Larry Fitzgerald, and the team really was a surprise this season. But hey, you gotta love those Steelers, although it's a mixed bag sometimes! I'll never get over Ben and his motorcycle accident. DUH!!!

CountingDown, sounds like nothing about winter is stopping you from getting in your exercise! :cheer2:

Session with trainer yesterday--good! Went over what we'd done last week and added more things. I am finding sore places today! He gave me the standard regimen for cardio training. It alternates low-intensity/recovery days, where you keep the heart rate at a certain level for 30 to 60 minutes, with medium-intensity days or high-intensity days where one does intervals for about 20 minutes. It's about 4 days a week, then 3 days or up to 6 days when you go to intervals.

By week 3 one is doing high-intensity on one or two days. All of this is judged by heart rate, and I may need to get a heart rate meter for myself. The machines have heart rate sensor handles, but I know from experience that these can be pretty flaky.

It's kind of nice to have a plan like this. I think I was getting too random in my workouts.

Hope you're all staying warm!

Jay

JLoubug 02-04-2009 05:21 PM

"Leaving on a jet plane, don't know when I'll be back again..." Well, I will be back in a few weeks. I hope it will be warmer.

Doing pretty good here. Finally packing tonight!

I hope everyone is doing well in this journey. It may take me a while to catch up when I get back, but I will talk to you all later.

Aloha! Jen

JayEll 02-04-2009 06:42 PM

Aloha, Jen!!!! :cheer2:

Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Jay

CountingDown 02-04-2009 09:29 PM

Jen - TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!! It is -9F right now - not counting the windchill. Seriously, have a WONDERFUL trip!

Jay - I like the heart rate monitor watch. Less cumbersome than the strap models (and less expensive). I found that the watch is pretty accurate, and easy to use. Polar makes several models in lots of price ranges.

Glad your session with the trainer was good. Sounds like you are gonna be seriously "in shape" soon! That sounds like an aggressive workout schedule!

Busy day today, church meeting right after my workout, and I just got home.
Tomorrow is a double shift, so I probably won't pop in. 3FC is blocked at work, so I can't sneak in a post.

I'm glad I don't have to do these night-time computer shifts very often!

Hope you all have a WARM Thursday!

meowee 02-05-2009 08:58 AM

Lot's of really pretty white snow for sale if anybody is interested. :lol: Real bargain prices. :yes:

JayEll 02-05-2009 01:58 PM

Gosh, meowee, there seems to be a market glut--and we don't want it down here, either!

It's barely going to get into the 50s today, but it is still very sunny and bright.

CD, I don't have to do the cardio workouts on the days I go to step class, thank goodness! And I think he has it for four days a week max anyway for me. I can deal with that. From all of this, I've realized that I had slowly been slacking off again on my workouts. I'm glad I'm doing something new.

Flowingair, I take it you have family in Naples? It's really nice down there--warmer than it is here.

I'm still slogging away here... Eating has been good, too...

Where are our other folks? Yooooo hoooooo!!! C'mon, some of you must have something interesting to report! I hope...

Jay

CountingDown 02-05-2009 07:26 PM

Linda - haha - I will GIVE my snow away if someone will take it. I'm very tired of shoveling. But, that being said, they are predicting freezing rain for the weekend - I'd really rather have snow.

Jay - I need to mix up the workouts too. My body seems to get in a rut if I don't.
Well, a quick post from me. That extra shift ended up being cut in half. For once, the software processes ran error-free, and my phone stayed quiet - so I got done VERY early.

I am gonna take advantage of the extra time at home and get in some exercise :)

Stay warm all!

flowingair 02-05-2009 09:46 PM

Hi everyone,
Jen-Have a great time for all of us.

Jay -yes, I have two sisters and my Dad in Naples. I also have a brother in Ft. Lauderdale. My Dad was telling me how cold it was in Florida. I just laughed.

CD- Your exercise routine is amazing. I've been really working on my elliptical and at lunch time- I'm doing a work out video. It's less intense than most video, but it keeps me out of the lunchroom.

Have a great day everyone.

meowee 02-06-2009 08:29 AM

Good Morning . . . :wave:

When I first got up, it ddefinitely felt like it was Saturday -- when you are an ORF, one day is more or less the same as every other. Maybe I'm trying to rush the rest of this winter along. :dizzy: Do you think?

CountingDown 02-06-2009 07:37 PM

Lori - thanks! I admire anyone that can do an elliptical, treadmill, bike, etc. I have a really hard time doing repetitive things. I can handle the multi-station weight machine since you change exercises frequently. Kudos to you!!!

I have come to believe that - while intensity is good, there is far too much emphasis put on it. At our age, consistency is more important - just do something! Intensity will come along eventually. And even if it doesn't, at least you are getting some exercise.

Linda - I hear ya! The sun was out today and it ALMOST felt - just a little bit - like spring!

Have a great weekend all!

JayEll 02-06-2009 09:14 PM

Hey folks,

meowee, you've been in the snow too long if you're thinking of yourself as an ORF. :lol:

Well, my trainer did me in today. :faint: It wasn't all that bad, but a lot of it was "core work," and it gets you really deep! The exercises are interesting in that while you're busy concentrating on the part that is moving, you're not noticing that those core muscles are doing things... then later, you find out! :eek: I'm not too sore... yet... but I definitely knew I got a workout.

I think tomorrow has to be my day off from the gym... I'll see how I feel...

And that brings me to intensity. I think intensity is a good thing, but each person has to set their own level based on what's happening in their body. Obviously I am not going to be able to do step class like the 20-somethings for awhile yet! :lol: On the other hand, I was thinking about a woman I used to work with long ago. This was in the 80s when group classes for aerobics were just beginning to be popular. She would go to aerobics class, but every time she started to break a sweat, she would stop exercising! Well... it's one thing if you're out of breath, but she said it was just that she "didn't like to sweat." :dunno:

What do you folks think about that? I always thought that if you weren't exerting enough to begin sweating, you probably weren't getting much out of the activity.

I think things may warm up here this weekend. It's been sunny, though!

Jay

CountingDown 02-07-2009 12:43 PM

I think that sweat is a good thing! I used to be one of those folk that hated to sweat. Now, I love it. It makes me feel like I am really doing some good.

That being said, I had to work up to my current level of intensity. For way too many years, I felt I couldn't do things at a high level, so I did nothing at all. I owe my current success, AND being able to really re-shape my body, to starting with very moderate exercise - walking mostly. I slowly added in weights, then yoga, then aerobic dance, then pilates, and then the Wii.

I continue to challenge myself, by adding in heavier weights, or more reps. I can only do 18 regular pushups, but that is 18 more than when I started. :)

I think that exercising to meet your goals is the key. Different goals require different levels of intensity

Do you want to maintain or increase your fitness level?
Do you want to reshape/sculpt certain areas of your body?
Is exercise part of a weight loss plan? (are you counting on burning xxx calories per day?)

I've seen way too many folk start an aggressive plan and give up quickly. It burns them out, they suffer an injury from going to far to fast, or they just get bored or hate every minute of it.

I think (like with everything else) it is a balancing act for most of us. We learn what works for us through trial and error. Jay is really successful going to a gym and working out. That doesn't work for me at all. But both of us are successful because we have found what DOES work and what we can continue doing for the long haul.

My, I'm preachy today, aren't I? ;)
off :soap:

On a lighter note and long story short - I'm looking for a used tuba/euphonium. If anyone hears of one becoming available ...

Gotta fly - way too much to do today. I spent the morning doing our taxes and the FAFSA for DS2. Very happy that is DONE, but it has put me way behind schedule!

Hope you all have a productive/fun weekend!

Laurie

Jada1 02-08-2009 01:47 AM

This forum sounds great. I just joined tonight. I'm committed to walking 45 minutes daily, and watching my calories. I read where joining an on-line message board will help my goal of healthy eating. I want to give my support also. As for the super bowl, I did fine.
237/237/150

JayEll 02-08-2009 08:07 AM

Hi, Jada1! :welcome2: Glad to have you! I try to walk every day also--it's a great way to get started.

Counting Down, I can only do 10 women's-style pushups, so you've got me beat for all of my gym time. :lol:

I think many people make the mistake of thinking that "exercise" has to be this drastic level of effort that they remember from high school gym class. So they jump right into something too hard, they don't make sure they have the right shoes, they don't get any training or orientation... and like you say, they get injured or they burn out. We see a lot of such people here on 3FC.

It's just not necessary to go that far to increase fitness and fat-burning.

And it also depends on age and lifestyle! If a person is sedentary and has been that way for 5, 10, 20 years or more, then it's really a mistake to jump into high-level exercise.

We're going to a movie today--Slumdog Millionaire. I hear it's quite good. I hope I like it. Has anyone else seen it? No spoilers, now...

After that we're going to lunch. My friend wants to go to Cracker Barrel. :eek: This is kind of a danger zone... and they don't have any nutrition information on line, but I can pretty much figure out just how bad it is... I'll let you know how it turns out.

Jay

meowee 02-08-2009 08:09 AM

And a rousing Good Morning to all . . . :grouphug:

CountingDown 02-08-2009 12:42 PM

Jada :welcome: Glad you found us! I like to walk too. I'm a fair weather walker, and do DVDs and my Wii in the winter.

Jay - give is a movie review when you get back. I haven't been to a movie in years - I used to mystery shop a DVD rental chain, but I haven't even done that in about 3 years.
As far a Cracker Barrel goes - I either order from the sides menu, the kids menu or get the egg sandwich - no mayo. Scrambled egg on sourdough with tomato isn't too bad - but just say NO to the hashbrown casserole. That stuff is dangerous!

The sun is shinging here, and we lost a lot of our snow yesterday. YIPEEE! Today is DS1's bday, so we will spend a chunk of today on the phone with him. :)

As far as the pushups go - 6 months ago, I couldn't hardly do one regular pushup. DH has vowed to add one every time he has a birthday - thus, he does 51 in a set. I decided that I did need to work on my upper body strength, so it has been a focus for the last 6 months. It is paying off - though I'm afraid my "bat wings" are here to stay. Too old, too much fat for too many years. But, at least I know that there are some serious tricep muscles underneath :lol:

Enjoy this fine Sunday! I'm off to get some cooking done for the week ahead :)

flowingair 02-08-2009 07:19 PM

Hi to all--Welcom Jada,

This has been an interesting discussion on exercise. I agree with Jay and Laurie that if you don't work up a sweat your intensity is not where it should be. You do need to work up to it, though. I defintely work to high intensity on my elliptical. I watch some old comedies to keep my mind busy while I work out. I used to watch the news, but that's just too stressful given our current economic situation.

At work I can't get all sweaty, but I want to get in some activity so I work on a low intensity video for 20-25 mins. I try to combine both worlds. I still need to work on weights. I used to belong to a gym, but just can't find the money right now.

Yeah, it's starting to warm up, spring is still a ways away, but you know it's coming.

Laurie- a few months back you referred to a calorie counting web site. I thought it was something different than Fit day. Do you still use it?

have a great day!

JayEll 02-08-2009 07:38 PM

Hey again! Well, my friend and I skipped Cracker Barrel and went to Chili's instead, where I do know a couple of things on the menu that I can have without fear. :D :cheer:

I predict Slumdog Millionaire will be Best Picture of the Year. It's certainly worth that. Many things that happen in the movie are intense and difficult, but it is so well made, and the story is so compelling!

See you all tomorrow!

Jay

Jada1 02-09-2009 01:10 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome. I was active all day with walking at the park or watching the ducks and running errands. In an earlier post, Jay mentioned how important it is to wear the right shoes, and I can attest to that. I just recently finally bought the right shoes after feeling the deterioration of my left knee. It was getting to the point where the next step was to ask my doctor for rehab to stop my limping (which is not normal for me). Today, all day, I was able to get out of my car multiple times without being in pain. Sorry to be boring. It was ecstactic for me to find out my problem was that I was just wearing the wrong shoes.

JayEll 02-09-2009 07:21 AM

Hey Jada1, I had the same thing happen to me years ago--it was both knees. I thought something terrible must be happening, and I was only in my 20s. But it was only worn-out shoes without the right support.

Jay

the slim me 02-09-2009 08:01 AM

Good Morning all,

Haven't been around for awhile. Family health problems. It was almost nice here this weekend. The sun was shining and the wind was blowing. Melted most of the snow and dried things up a bit.

I agree with all that has been said about exercise. It's a must to get the weight off and keep it off. an for health too. Start slow and build up. Don't try to do too much at first, you could cause some injury and use that as an excuse to quit.

Laurie, You do 18 full body push up's? You must have some serious muscle thre! I do sissy push up's and not that many of them!

Jay, The Cracker Barrel has some good vegetable platters. That is what I usually get when I go there. I've actually never looked at their calorie counts. probably don't want to know. At least with the vegetables I tell my self that it's half way healthy.

Flo, have you looked at SparksPeople for calorie counts an diet guide? they have a pretty good one too.

Jada, Welcome. it does help to have someone to talk to and get advice from and share the victories and sometimes get you back on tract! I'm sure you will like it here.

Freda

Jada1 02-09-2009 06:30 PM

It was cold and windy today, so I went window shopping to get my walking in. For the past couple of months I have been consciously trying to be aware of the foods I'm addicted to and just not buying it. For instance, instead of buying regular bread, I just buy sour dough, because I can control myself with it, and yet still enjoy it. I don't know if it's healthy or not, but I figure it's healthier than eating a whole loaf of regular bread within two days.
A clap of hands to everyone for doing so well in committing themselves to their goals. I, for one, don't think it's an easy thing to do. But I believe it can be done and your all excellent role models to help me see, for sure, that it can be done. I will do it, I will do it, I will do it. And I will enjoy myself doing it.

CountingDown 02-09-2009 06:55 PM

Lori - The Daily Plate is the other calorie counting website chickies around here use. I ended up getting the software from Calorie King (who also has an online counter) for my PDA. I do still use it, but not daily. I have eased up on my daily journaling. Though, I get right back at it if my weight starts creeping up. I have gotten really good a counting in my head.

Jada - I've had similar issues with shoes too. I swear, it takes me longer to find the proper shoes for my feet than it does to pick out anything else!

It was a busy day today - my computer stopped working in my second office sometime over the weekend. Not a good start to the week. I am so thankful that I have two work spaces!

I did another session with "My Fitness Coach" today - I am really liking the workouts. A tad repetitive with a couple exercises, but otherwise, it is great! My heart rate is in my target zone every time I check it :D

DH made roasted veggies while I was working out tonight - they are almost done. The smell is incredible! I think I need to go make a pot of tea to go with them :)

Hope you all had a great day, and have some fun planned for tomorrow!

the slim me 02-10-2009 01:01 PM

Good Morning all,

I walked to the drug store this morning. Outside! Without my hat and gloves on! I know this weather won't last but it sure is nice right now. Kind of a gentle reminder that yes, spring really will come.

Jada, we all have trigger foods that we can't bring into the house. Mine is corn chips. I can't just eat a few. i will eat them untill I make myself sick. That's and easy fix, I just don't buy them. It's not like i'm depriving anyone of anything, no one needs those empty calories any way. butter pecan ice cream! Love it. Don't buy it!!! I'm the only one that eats it and I can't even lie and say it's for someone else. And it is hard work! but it does get easier, really. so, hang in there girl!

Eveyone, I hope you are enjoying this lovely weather too,

Freda

Jada1 02-10-2009 05:12 PM

Countingdown, I love roasted veggies too.
Slim me, It sounded wonderful to be walking in warmer weather. That first day of warmth is always the best.
I did my walk this morning. It was a great day. I enjoyed admiring the beauty of the snow up on the mountains and was glad it was on the mountains only.
My focus for the day is to keep a positive attitude about the changes I have to make to eat healthier. I figure if I set a goal for myself, I need to enjoy working towards the goal, or don't set it in the first place, otherwise I'm just being masochistic, which isn't healthy. I have a right to be enthusiastic about my life.
A good thing that happened yesterday was that I took my son out to a mexican food restaurant for his birthday, and I totally forgot to order my favorite fried ice cream. I didn't think about it until I left the restaurant.

JayEll 02-10-2009 06:02 PM

Hey folks!

Well, my trainer kicked my butt again... Dear me... It's sure good stuff, though. I read somewhere that older people really need to keep their legs strong. One of the best simple exercises for that is just not to use your hands when you stand up out of a chair. Move to the edge of the chair, though, so you can get your legs under you.

My trainer has me trying that with one leg! :eek: I can't do that without using my other leg a bit for support. Yet!

Jada, you're doing so well! I love the thought of looking at snow on the mountains. I grew up in Salt Lake. Here in Fla. there are no mountains at all, and obviously no snow. But, we do have some nice things to look at.

Also, Jada, you'll find ways, as you stick with what your doing, that you can plan ahead and enjoy the foods you like--you just have to rediscover moderation and know what you're getting into. :yes: I love Mexican food, too, but one of my tricks in to skip the rice and beans and only order a la carte. There are other tricks as well, like choosing better entrees.

Slim me, butter pecan... :drool: I can't have ice cream in the house... usually... except that, you may remember, I was able to forget about the Ben & Jerry's for my partner's birthday until she finished it off! :cheer: That was a great accomplishment for me! But in general, if I decide I have to have ice cream, I go out and buy some to eat right then and there.

Lori, I'm a FitDay fan myself. And by now, I'm so used to it, I might as well stay with it. I bought the download version.

CD, I hope your computer stuff is straightened out...

Well, time for me to find an ice pack...

Jay

CountingDown 02-10-2009 11:08 PM

Freda - corn chips are one of those foods for DH. We stopped buying them here too. I much prefer broccoli slaw nuts, baby carrots for that "crunch" appeal. Ive been known to season them in strange ways, though :)

Jay - hope the ice pack did the trick. I'm so proud of you for taking this next step. What an awesome thing! Your consistency and dedication and "up" attitude just inspires me! What a blessing to have you here to be an example for all of us :D

Jada - :congrat: on the fried ice cream. I've never had it, but it just SOUNDS like empty calories. Really, if I can pass on one thing to anyone, it is this: successful weight loss is made "one decision at a time". It isn't about the BIG picture. It is about each and every choice. String together enough good choices, and you WILL change your lifestyle. And - a few less than perfect choices - really don't matter, in the scheme of things.

Way too busy today. No boring details, but work is crazy, church obligations are crazy - but my eating is totally normal (meaning healthy). WOW!!! I can't tell you how awesome that is. The "old" me would have used foood as a comfort, reward, pacifier. The new me had to grab a protein bar for dinner since she forgot to eat.

WOW! I really LIKE the new me :D

Jada1 02-11-2009 04:09 PM

Thanks for your support Jay. It was good to read that I was doing well. Sometimes I wonder. Believe it or not, I never thought to order a la carte. Thanks for the suggestion. It really added to my awareness of where I'm going wrong. I really think it's great you have a trainer. I would like to do that eventually. It seems like it would help me to keep in good shape. I used to go to 24 hour fitness and enjoyed the comraderie. Have to get back to it.
Counting Down: I read your Pictorial Journey and your Goal Story. Great writing. I have an obese family too. I have an aunt who had to use two chairs to sit down. Nobody had problems with their knees though. They were always able to walk without a cane. I can relate to your story about what made you decide to do something about your weight. I wasn't able to get into a man's truck. He had to help me. I was so humiliated. It pushed me into taking my weight seriously.
I did my walk today. My weight is going down. Down two pounds from Feb.1 and one pound from when I started this board. This is where I mess up. When I start to improve, I slack off. Being on this board will help me keep accountable. Hugs to everybody.

CountingDown 02-11-2009 06:30 PM

Jada, thank you for your kind words. It is hard to find the right mix to keep us moving on this journey. But, you are so right. Coming daily to 3FC was a HUGE help for me. There is an accountability thread in the 50+ forum where you can post your daily/weekly progress. I did that during my weight loss and it was helpful to publicly post. It sometimes kept me from straying when I was tempted. Walking is great exercise. It is the staple of my plan when the weather cooperates. I don't like walking outside in the snow and ice, so I move indoors for winter.

Hope everyone is doing well. It has been an intense few days, with lots going on at work, church, and community. I'm hoping for a bit of a slow-down this weekend. I'm researching mp3 players - does anyone have a favorite? Mine bit the dust this week. Ipods are the staple, but the rebel in me wants something else ;)

JayEll 02-11-2009 07:14 PM

Hey everybody,

Sorry to be so late today--I'm kinda bummed out. :( My weight has gone up 3 pounds in the last 5 days. Now I know that's not all fat, because I would have had to eat over 10,000 calories beyond my daily burn! And although I did go over my calories, I didn't go THAT far.

But, it's also not all water weight. My scale tells me that.

I like to think that some of it is lean body mass--muscles, bone--but still. 3 pounds???? Must be all that aerobics, step class, and training. :lol:

So, I'm pretty grumpy about it, but the thing to do is to get myself in hand here and make sure I stay on track with the food. As long as I do that, I can just watch what the scale does and not freak out. :fr:

Jada, stick with what you're doing! It's not enough just to iimprove, although it's good to do that. You want to sustain that effort and drop some more. Yeah, I'm unhappy about that recent gain--although it's probably a fluke--but I'm still down a long ways from my high weight, and I can only be happy about that! :cheer2:

I hope things lighten up for you soon, CD!

Where are all our other active folks? Out there being active, I hope...

Jay

P.S. I like 24 Hour Fitness, too! But we don't have them down here--at least not in my area. My center is like that, but isn't open 24 hours.

Jada1 02-11-2009 11:50 PM

Jay, I'm really sorry about seeing the 3 pound increase on your scale. I know I should stay positive, but it is such a terrible feeling to see your hard work not show up on the scale. I hope it decreases again soon.
CountingDown: I posted to the "Accountability Thread." Thanks for telling me about it. Looks good.
Whoever mentioned the broccoli salad, it sounded real good, so I've been trying to find recipes for one. I'll have to see if the board has any.

the slim me 02-12-2009 09:13 AM

Hi all,

I worked yesterday, and by the time I got off at 8 it was pouring rain . I got drenched just walkin to the car. It's finally stopped raining, but it rained most of the night and the wind was just howling. I had to sleep on the couch with my little dog. he is so afraid of storms, and we baby him.

Jada, Like Laurie said, it's one decision at a time. and you will get used to it and learn how to eat out without doing a lot of damage. And don't think of not losing weight as a loss. If you are eating right and exercising, you are getting healthier and stronger every day. I hae a great, simple recipe for broccoli salad. I'll send it to you. I have some in the fridge right now. YUM!

Jay, You know if you're doing everything right the 3 pounds will go away. Probably all those new muscles you making! How hot are you going to look this summer!!

Laurie, part of the weight loss/maintenace is taking one day at a time, part of it is planning ahead. If I didn't make a menu for the week I don't know if I would do as well. I like knowing what I'm going to eat every day and not having to make last min. decisions. I kind of make a game of it too.

Hope eveyone is having a great day,

Freda