Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 185/145/145

Height: 5'1"

Default Motivation & Exercise

Desire, Confidence Are Keys to Fitness
Study Shows Psychological Factors Can Be Significant Barriers to Physical Activity
By Bill Hendrick
WebMD Health NewsReviewed by Louise Chang, MDJan. 16, 2009 -- People who have a desire to exercise and who are confident that they can are more likely to engage in physical fitness activities than those who lack motivation or have poor self-perception, a new Canadian study shows.

The study, published in the journal BMC Public Health, shows that psychological factors are the most important barriers to an active lifestyle.

"Our findings highlight the need for health promotion programs to enhance people's confidence and motivation, as well as providing education on the health benefits of physical activity," says Sai Yi Pan, leader of a team of researchers from the Public Health Agency of Canada.

The researchers gathered information in telephone interviews from 5,167 Canadians ages 15-79; the participants were asked about their physical activity, their intention to be physically active in the future, perceived health benefits of physical activity, barriers to physical activity, social support, and availability of programs or facilities to be physically active.

The participants were asked how confident they were that they could regularly do a total of 30 minutes of moderate physical activity three or four times a week, and a total of an hour of light exercise daily.

The researchers found that confidence and intention had the most effect on physical activity. They also found self-rated health, perceived health benefits and barriers, facility availability, education level, and family income were related to physical activity.

"Confidence in one's personal ability to carry out exercise plays a central role in the direction, intensity and persistence of health behavior change," the researchers write. People who have higher confidence "will perceive fewer barriers to [physical activity], or be less influenced by them, and will be more likely to enjoy" exercising.

"The effects of the perceived health benefits, education and family income were more salient to older people, whereas the influence of education was more important to women and the influence of perceived barriers was more salient to women and younger people," the researchers write.

"This study suggests that [physical activity] promotion strategies should be tailored to enhance people's confidence" that they are able and fit enough to engage in physical activity, the researchers conclude. If confidence can be enhanced, then people will be more motivated to be active.
ladyinweighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Motivate me!
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #3  
~~~~~~~~~~

S/C/G: 210/207/140

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

That's a nice article, Ladyinweighting. Well, I feel confident that physically I can exercise. The problem for me is, I constantly discourage myself with self-doubt about stick-to-it-iveness. Well I'm not wording this very well but do you know what I mean? I would really like to change the emotional or psychological, whatever it is. I guess it's a negative view of my ability to really stick to anything or make permanent healthy changes. Physically I know I can do it, because I do get some exercise several times a week usually, and I enjoy it, but it's only after I've basically "argued" myself into doing it. What is the magic key to changing my emotional or attitude into a positive, optimistic view?
Sissy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 AM   #4  

Reply to Sissy2009,

I have always hated exercise and have had an ongoing battle with myself for years to get to the gym and walk on the treadmill. I finally have solved my lack of enthusiasm for exercise: I love music so I got myself an MP3 player. I chose a cute little bright red Sony that is smaller than a credit card. I then joined Napster and learned how to download my favorite songs to my Sony.
I now look forward to my workouts because it gives me time to hear my favorite tunes. I manually choose songs according to how fast I want to walk on the treadmill (Nelly Furtado's "Maneater" is my favorite get-me-going choice). I really enjoy my 40 minutes on the treadmill and can say that I am now thinking about expanding my exercise repertoire to include strength training. I now have a very positive attitude about exercise.
It works for me ... hope it will help someone else!
Carol
CarolMarlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:32 AM   #5  
~~~~~~~~~~

S/C/G: 210/207/140

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Great idea Carol thank you!!!!!
Sissy2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:59 AM   #6  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Height: 5'3"

I am a list/chart person. I like to use the 3FC weight chart, but I get more motivation from something I can see better. So... I decided to use highlighters each time I weigh in. Everything gets highlighted blue (soothing and my favorite) when I have a weight loss. A gain would get yellow. I can see it across the room as I move toward the refridgerator, encouraging good choices.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #7  
Sea

I just reread some old posts from 3 years ago, when my weight was much lower. It was motivating for me. I think I will start journalling my successes. I tend to dwell on my failures, but I need those old successes to spur new successes. I'm off line to get on the treadmill !
Old 01-29-2009, 12:39 PM   #8  
Sea

Not only does the exercise help calorically, but it improves our cholesterol, raising the good and lowering the bad. Also very important for some of us is that it helps our bones. : )