Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:22 AM   #1  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Default Active Folks Over 50 -- #20

Happy New Year!
-------------
Active Folks Over 50 is a place to talk about fitness and healthy eating information as it relates to weight loss and/or maintenance--and also about any work, fun, hobby, or volunteer activites you're engaged in. In other words, the active part of your life!

Just a few guidelines for this thread:

- Raves about grandkids or ranting about your kids is out of bounds.

- Lengthy discussion of your illnesses, conditions, treatments, and medical procedures in general is also out of bounds on this thread. So is whining about old age!

- Positive stories of vacations taken, volunteer work, or achievements at work or elsewhere are highly encouraged! As are recommendations for books, movies, discussions of weight related issues, etc.

Join in!
----------------------

OK, did you all find your way over here? I hope so!

Laurie, thanks for your comment about what I said in that other thread. For those of you who missed it, some 3FC members were starting to go down the trail of how HARD it all is to lose weight, maintain weight, etc., and how we have to be constantly vigilant, and it's a lifelong struggle,

I once read something about how too often, people become caught up in "joyless striving." It's as though all of life is a battle, and we have to keep our noses to the grindstone to get ahead, and there are schedules to meet and goals to accomplish, and it's all very, very serious. Sounds so puritanical!

My belief is that the path has to be joyful. Yes, it takes effort, we all realize that. But life is full of precious moments that are passing all too quickly while we work on our checklists. I don't mean that we toss out our checklists (although in some cases...). I mean that it's too easy to get into the habit of putting off happiness until everything is "done." I am very guilty of this.

And that's me climbing down from the now!

I'm still thinking about what resolutions I might have... what have the rest of you folks come up with?

Jay
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

No resolutions here - I have found over the years that I never keep them anyway

I DO try to work on areas of my life that need improvement every year, but I find that the timing never coincides with Jan 1.

:Welcome: to Jen and Nature Girl. It is wonderful to have some new folk here

The kitchen de-clutter is going well - about 3/4 done. So far 8 bags of stuff removed. (how on earth did I accumulate 5 cheese slicers?)

I'm hoping to get in some cooking today once the kitchen is done. Cleaning the kitchen always inspires me to actually USE the stuff in there
I like to make main dishes ahead and freeze them in serving size containers. It makes my morning go so much better if I don't have to prepare lunch and snacks to take with.

Spent an hour on the wii fit and another 2 hours playing games on the wii. Thus, yesterday was a good balance of activity, work, and fun

Jay, I think that too many folk do miss that important aspect to losing weight and maintaining. If you don't enjoy the journey, how can you ever expect to really maintain the loss? This time around was the first time that I slowed down, enjoyed the process and really looked at it from a permanent change perspective. And, consequently, I learned a lot about myself, ENJOYED the process and didn't give a hoot how long it took to actually reach my "goal". In fact the goal weight itself became less and less important. It was the journey to better health and fitness that really became the goal. Which is of course an ongoing thing.

Having folk like Jay and Freda here on our Active Folks thread - people that have been successful maintainers - has helped me so much.

So, while I have no resolutions for the new year, my "word" for the year is "balance". I am striving for more balance in my life. Mind, Body, & Spirit - balance among those three - and also balance within each area as well. Balancing my eating, my fitness goals, my work, my play, my spiritual growth ...

Enough waxing philosophical - Anyone doing anything fun this weekend?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning all, And Happy New Year!

I had to work yesterday, so wasn't here to wish you one!

Jen and nature girl. I hope you come in and post often.

Resolutions? Always the same. Maintain a healthy life style and be the best person I can be. I'm a work in progress!

Laurie, Jay, I totally agree with you about the struggle for weight loss and health. I never look at it as a struggle, but as an oportunity to make better choices for myself and for my family. I love experementing with new recipes and finding new, tasty, L/F foods. I don't look at the things i can't have (or at least not much) but the things I can have. A positive attitue is everything! I don't look at exercise as a choir (or at least not much) but as an opportunity to get strong and healthy. I actually look forward to it (or at least most of the time). Find something you actually like to do. I can't say I actually ALWAYS want to lift weights, but I love the fact that I am increasing my upper body strength, and seeing a little defination in my arms isn't bad either! Being able to wear sleevless tops is a definate plus! Once you see some improvement it makes you want to see more. I could go on and on....

Laurie, I'm still decluttering too. Like you, I have a hard time getting rid of some things, but with other I wonder why I ever bought them in the first place. As far as the ginger bread thing goes, keep it! You will have fun with it with the Grands!

WE're off to a good start in the new year, let continue to improve

Freda
Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Thanks for welcoming me--I'm hoping that support from positive, interesting people will help me stick with my plan and meet my goals.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #5  
EACH DAY A NEW BEGINNING!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/140

Good Morning everyone!!!

Well am starting off the new year really good..joined a challenge on here, hope I can keep up with all the youngsters. Well actually we all do the challenge at our own level so it will be OK..

Had a great day with exercise and eating and water yesterday and I really feel great today...Started a New exercise routine, Body Boogy Yoga, very interesting tape. Haven't been able to get through the whole thing yet,,,but it will come with time.

Hope everyone is doing well and is ready to continue on the journey, and yes we have to enjoy the ride, otherwise it won't be very effective in the long run. I am really excited about the journey..I can feel myself getting healthier, and of course that makes me happier...

I'm starting to get my garden thoughts together, can't wait for the spring to burst...planing a few new places for this year. I'm going to increase my herb garden this year, really love all the fresh herbs to cook with, and dry some for winter too...And want to put some different kinds of squash and things in the vegetable garden this year..

Dh is going to fix me a growing light in the back of the basement so I can start everything inside...I love to grow things...and can,etc. So looking forward to a busy spring..

Anyway guess I've rambled on long enough, need to get my cardio out of the way before everyone else gets up...Try to get back later,,,Pat
Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #6  

Hi all - happy Saturday

Pat - garden time already Seems like I just cleaned up the fall gardens not that long ago. Seriously, good for you growing your own starter plants. I can't keep a house plant alive, let alone tender seedlings

Nature Girl - love your avatar! Looks like a place I would love to visit!

Freda - I laughed at your post. I am shameless about flexing my muscles at home. Even made DH admire them. He has ALWAYS had fit and muscular arms. Seems like watching Jack LaLane as a kid rubbed off on him. He adds more reps for every year. 51 pushups in a set would probably KILL me, but he has no trouble at all.
I'm relatively new to the muscle building camp, but I DO love the results.

While I wear sleeveless tops now, and my shoulders and biceps are toned, I still have chicken wings. There are some nice triceps under there, but way too much loose skin to be able to see them

Oh, well - they still look way better than when they were filled with fat

Well, I did finish the kitchen yesterday - and I was so thrilled with the results, I dug into the walk-in pantry (a wonderful catch-all space that is 6x8 with shelves floor to ceiling on two walls). That took another 5 hours to complete - but all the staples (I'm amazed that I have 9 different kinds of dried beans) are neatly arranged in glass jars, and everything else is arranged by category and date.

Well, gotta fly - church PowerPoint to create and I gotta spend some time on the wii fit (missed my formal exercise yesterday).

Have a great day all!

Last edited by CountingDown; 01-03-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:31 PM   #7  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey! A quick fly-by before I start my floor cleaning--I wanted to say, I have gone to two "rock concerts" in my life. One was the Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1966, and the other was Janice Joplin at the Filmore West in... hm. 1969?

I also saw Huey Lewis and the News, but that was at the annual holiday party at Apple way back in the day...

What "rock concerts" have other folks been to? Or any other concerts, for that matter--SpinyMouse, I know you've been to folk concerts, I just know it!

Jay
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hey everyone!

I stayed up late last night watching the football playoff game between Indianapolis and San Diego. It went into overtime. San Diego won, but Indianapolis helped them do it...

My eating and exercise has been OK--until yesterday. It seems like I can go a week just fine, but then I get really hungry. I'm trying tracking a little differently than I have in the past, and we'll see how that goes.

I guess everyone is off doing stuff this weekend! Hope you're all doing well...

Jay
Old 01-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Saved money

Hadn't done much walking yesterday, so declared it to be an emergency that DW was out of vitamin B-12 and went for an after dinner walk to save the day. Felt like a hero since CVS had a sale that ended last night - second bottle half price. So bought two bottles. I'm da man!!!!

This morning's paper has a CVS ad. That sale is over; the sale today is - second bottle free. Oh Well. The walk does not decrease in value.
Old 01-04-2009, 04:17 PM   #10  

Bill - check with CVS - usually they will honor the sale if it is within a week of purchase.

Jay - I often have those "hungry" days too. I usually get through them will lots of fresh, crunchy veggies and lots of herbal tea.

I love this time of year at the grocery store. Since everyone is making new year's resolutions to lose weight and get healthy, our stores had lots of healthy things on sale - lots of fresh fruits and veggies, healthy staples, etc.

We went this morning and found almost everything on my list was on sale - and organic mushrooms and spinach are almost NEVER on sale. Even clementines were 50% off their usual price

Well, I 'm off to spend some time with the wii - we had an ice storm last night, and I'm not gonna try a walk outside today.

Hope you all have/had a great Sunday!
Old 01-04-2009, 04:43 PM   #11  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Happy New Year Everyone!
Again, I have a lot to catch up on. I have not been deliberately avoiding you all, honest! I have fallen into a major slump and funk. It's not good, and I am not just talking about weight, diet and exercise. I have some other "demons" that are even more important to conquer. (Although I hate that cliche. "Demons." Arrgh. I can't believe I said that.)
But as much as the scientist in me says that the New Year is just a human-made arbitrary designation of time I'll take it and its alleged tradition of a time to start some corrective action!
The good news is that I go back to work tomorrow after over a week off, and thankfully so. I think if I lost my job I'd probably only live about a month max. (pardon-the-expression "demons.")
I have not been exercising at all and that is taking its toll also. I know, I know, you all never said this was the confessional thread! (Can you tell I was indoctrinated Catholic?)
Ok, I'll say some hail Marys and move on...
Jay - you have enticingly asked me about folk/rock concerts I've seen?!
There are so many! I started to make a list but you know what? I don't want someone doing a google search on _________________ some artist, and then come up with a link to my stupid post here! So let's just say -- A LOT.
Ask me about movies though and I can probably count them all on my 10 fingers.... Last one was 6 years ago...

I also like to go to some of the outdoor music festivals that last a few days or a weekend which often have some less popular but amazingly good performers - that's where I tend to buy a lot of my clothes too.

Hey has anyone seen that show about Adult Picky Eaters? I'm cat-sitting right now so am in a place with TV and I happened to catch it, it was on the Food Network. I found it fascinating. It featured the stories of people who will only eat breadsticks, or grilled American cheese sandwiches, for example, and are trying to change to a more "normal" routine. Very interesting. I can be very picky too, but mild in comparison to those on this show, who consider themselves to have a major disorder. I find nothing that I will eat on a traditional American breakfast menu, but apart from that, I find I like a wide variety of foods, most of them very healthful.

I'll be back soon, honest. Have a great beginning of Jan everyone!
jo
Old 01-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #12  

SPINY!
I've been thinking about you (and some praying going on too).

Sure missed you girl!
Confess away - who better to confess to? We have all been there (with the food and exercise issues at least).

I WISH I was more of a picky eater. I honestly can't count more than 3 or 4 foods that I don't like

I hope you will use this as an accountability thread - come post often and let us know how you are doing. And - how about a walk today to get the exercise juices flowing?

Sure have missed your wit and humor - I look forward to your posts this week
Old 01-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #13  

Back to work tomorrow. I have missed it a little. I've done enough work at home with the cleaning out of stuff, I'm ready for a change. I miss those kids too.

Reading the paper this morning, of course there are things in it regarding resolutions, and losing weight is number 1. They had a few good tips; most of them are sensible. I am going to start making sure there are always good snacks like raw vegies and fruits to eat.

Unfortunately I still have stuff left over from the holidays hanging around, and then yesterday was my sister's birthday, so I have cake, but at least the ice cream is at her house. My DH says he will take the cookies and candy to work. I hope so, or tomorrow they will find the trash can. I used to feel guilty throwning out food, you know all those starving people wherever they are, but they can't get to it or I would gladly give it to them, and it sure isn't going to do me any good.

I have been to a lot of concerts too, but they are getting ridiculously more expensive! I now volunteer at a theatre here, and if I'm selected, I'm lucky enough get to see the show for free. You just have to check the patrons tickets and usher people to their seats. I probably would shell out the money for a favorite though.

So I've been drinking more water and have walked 3 out of the 4 days this year. I hope everyone is staying on track and doing well!
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 218/210/183

Height: 6'0"

Progress report: I'm sticking to the first part of my plan - no sugar - but as usual having trouble with the activity part. Can I blame it on the 4 degree weather? Or all the time spent taking down the Christmas tree, etc.?
Our stores were also full of people stocking up. Saw lots of people I know geting ready to go back to school/work after a long break and getting all the good foods into their carts so they can eat well this week.

Counting down - I love that photo too. It's just some clip art I found, but it certainly reminds me of places where I've hiked, and places I want to spend more time.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Good morning! We are now firmly into January.

Spinymouse! I hoped that you'd post after I called you out! Sorry to hear about your demons... anything we can do to help?

I was a picky eater as a child--there were just many things I didn't like. My parents didn't know what to do (I was their first) and so they fed me a lot of ice cream, which I did like (only "plain"--no flavors). It's no wonder I have to avoid ice cream now.

Oh, speaking of which--the ice cream that came into the house last week is long gone now. My SO ate it all.

Bill, sounds like another walk to CVS is on your schedule! If I walked to CVS it would be about a mile and half each way. Hmmmm. That might be worth a try!

CD, I got through that hungry day with the brakes on--barely--but the next day was a day where I didn't feel as hungry. I took advantage of that to stay well within my target. One of the foods I just love is celery, thank heavens! And baby carrots.

Nature Girl, good for you with the progress on no-sugar. As for the activity, that was always a challenge when I lived in cold climates. Having workout videos can help... or some indoor equipment... of course, one has to USE them. I also used to go to the YMCA--lots of equipment, family oriented, and relatively cheap to join. These days cold weather is not a problem for me, but I still belong to a gym. Not the YMCA, though-- but this one is closer to my house and open 24 hours.

JLoubug, I have seen those volunteers at the symphony, etc., and I always thought it would be a good thing to do. Season tickets are mucho expensive these days--or perhaps I just haven't caught up with the times!

Well, one of my resolutions for the New Year is to work smarter. When I closed the books for 2008, I saw that I didn't earn as much as in prior years, even though I was working all the time! That has to stop. The reason is that I took on jobs here and there that didn't pay very well but consumed time anyway. If I'm going to have to work, I need to work at my top hourly rate.

Hey, where's Jude? I hope she comes back now that the holidays are over.

See ya!
Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 01-05-2009 at 08:41 AM.
Closed Thread