Old 09-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #1  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Default More about FRUCTOSE and HFCS

This article is specifically from a diabetes-related site, but the information it contains is of interest to all . . . http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/ShowCo...nd_or_foe.html
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #2  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Hi Meowee,
Thanks for putting up this article. It is an incredibly important health issue and a nutritional scandal! Recently, ads have begun to air here in the U.S. that are ads just for HFCS. They are pointedly trying to get people to believe that HFCS is safe in moderation. But, it is in almost all packaged foods, even those that you would not think needed it, like Wheat Thins. Why does a savory cracker need a sweetener? A great documentary about HFCS is "King Corn". The production of HFCS is big ari-business run amok. In a country like the U.S., where food insecurity is mounting, the production of a food additive that mostly promotes poor health and obesity is a moral and ethical issue and a social injustice. People who make plenty of money can afford to buy fresh, organic, wholesome foods. Those who are less fortunate get more than their fair share of this ubiquitous, cheap sweetener.

Read labels, protest against HFCS by letting your purchases do your talking. Don't buy products that contain HFCS. Iowa will go back to being a dairy state, not a state that mostly grows GMO corn used in the production of HFCS!

Sheri
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Thank you for the info, Meowee, Yesterday, I wanted to buy yogert. Every label I read hat at least 12 grams of fructose. I am trying my best to curb my sugar intake. Do you know of a brand that does not add sugar?
carolcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcolleen View Post
Thank you for the info, Meowee, Yesterday, I wanted to buy yogert. Every label I read hat at least 12 grams of fructose. I am trying my best to curb my sugar intake. Do you know of a brand that does not add sugar?
I buy Trader Joe's Greek yogurt, 2%, and add my own fruit, no sugar. It's nice and thick, and I thought it was less sour than regular plain yogurt.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/177/150

Height: 5'5"

Oh well, I live in a rural area, no Trader Joe's near. All fat free yogurt seems to be full of sugar. I'll look for Greek Yogurt at Walmart.

Thanks
carolcolleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 PM   #6  
Sherianne

S/C/G: 207/198/140

Height: 5'3"

Just buy plain yogurt without fruit and sugar and add what you want to it. All stores have plain yogurt, usually in a larger container. I buy plain yogurt and make fruit smoothies out of it. Here in the West, Mountain High is a good grocery store brand.

Last edited by Quixotica; 09-09-2008 at 08:44 PM.
Quixotica is offline   Reply With Quote