Old 07-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 348/271/155

Height: 5ft. 8in.

Default Help Please, I am lost

I am new to this sight and I seem to be having a difficult time getting around. I could use some sage advice to help me figure out this site. I started here because I am 50+.
sookiegirl
sookiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey sookiegirl!

It's hard at first to see all the different forums and not know where to go. So, this is a good place to post threads and replies if you're over 50, but of course anyone can post in any forum if the topic interests you.

Do you follow a specific weight loss plan? How much weight do you want to lose? Do you have questions? Ask away, and feel free to hop around and read.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:55 PM   #3  

WOW, an actual person. Thanks for the feedback. I haven't actually followed any particular food plan for some time. I am just to the point of feeling totally fed up and not exactly knowing where to begin.........Have you really lost 50 lbs? If so, how did you do it?........I guess I'll try to follow your advice and see what I can come up with. Oh, I have lost weight. My initial weightloss over a four year period was 108 lbs. Unfortunately after I quite smoking last year I put on 26 lbs. My current job keeps me sitting all day. At least my weight has stabilized.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Wow! You are a winner! over 100 pounds!

You've gained some back, but you haven't gone all the way. That's the good news!

I did lose 50 pounds, and I did it by counting calories. I used an online website called FitDay, downloaded their program for a fee (or you can use it online for free). I used the program to estimate my daily calorie burn, and how much I would have to eat in order to lose--I aimed for between 1 and 2 pounds a week (but it wasn't quite so linear...).

I also started exercising. I have a sedentary job, too--so I had to get moving. I take a walk every morning while it's cool, and I belong to a gym. I go to the gym five or six days a week when I'm working on losing--I do the aerobic machines (treadmill, bicycle) and also some light weight lifting to keep my muscles working and strong.

It took me about seven or eight months to lose 40 of those pounds--and that was a year ago!

Cheers!
Jay
Old 07-21-2008, 07:30 PM   #5  

Good for you Jay. I feel happy for you and I am going to try to use you as an inspiration. I have decided to start a walking program, but because of arthritis of the knee I need to begin slowly......... I did think about what type of program I would like to start for weight loss and I have decide to try to re-establish a type of eating plan that worked well for me many years ago. I had decided to eat whateverI wanted, but with a catch; I could only eat one serving of any food and I had to wait until my designated eating time. For some reason, just knowing that I could eat anything I wanted gave me the willpower to wait. I actually lost 42 lbs. and kept it off for 16 years. Anyway, please wish me luck. I hope it works.
sookiegirl
Old 07-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

I do wish you good luck, sookiegirl! Make sure you get yourself some nice new shoes to walk in--athletic type--so you have proper support.

Maybe you'd like to check out the Intuitive Eating thread that's going in General Diet Plans forum. Here's a link:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145212

Hang in there!

Jay
Old 07-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #7  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi there SOOKIEGIRL . . . . . . very glad to have you joining us and best of luck on your journey to better health and fitness. Sounds like you are definitely headed in the right (downward) direction again.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #8  

Thanks for the support. I meant to walk today after work, but unfortunately I wasn't able because of time constraints and bad weather. I do have a treadmill, I suppose I need to bring it out of mothballs. Tomorrow I am going to start setting up a workout area. I also need to take Jay's advice and buy a new pair of shoes. This may sound like a copout, but it looks as if I won't be able to start this until the weekend because my old shoes are worn out and I don't get paid until Friday. My eating went pretty well, except I ate a bit too much for dinner. I'll touch base with that another time. Wish me luck.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck! I am a calorie counter, too. I plan all my meals ahead of time. Calorie Counters is another good forum.
You can post wherever you like.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 309/257/170

Height: 5 ft 5.5 inches

I am new also. I went on the Metabolic Research Center diet 4/3/08and have lost 40 lbs. My goal is to lose 100 by Christmas. I am concerned about loose skin, developing as I am 55. Any suggestions? The MRC told me to start taking MSM suppliments to help with skin elasticity but I am leary about that. Has anyone tried it? I am using my exercise bike that does arms and legs 3 x per week for 30 minutes and about 21 total miles.
Delta Dawn 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM   #11  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

DeltaDawn . . . . . . glad to hve you with us, Chickie . . . and good luck on your journey to better health and fitness -- you've definitely gotten off to a great start.

There is really not too much that can prevent or eliminate the loose skin problems, although most experts would suggest a relatively slow but steady progress gives your skin a better chance to adapt. There is a really good thread on skin issues over in the Maintainers Area . . . have a read . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36040
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:20 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Dawn 01 View Post
I am new also. I went on the Metabolic Research Center diet 4/3/08and have lost 40 lbs. My goal is to lose 100 by Christmas. I am concerned about loose skin, developing as I am 55. Any suggestions? The MRC told me to start taking MSM suppliments to help with skin elasticity but I am leary about that. Has anyone tried it? I am using my exercise bike that does arms and legs 3 x per week for 30 minutes and about 21 total miles.
Have you ever tried essential oils to help tighten up the skin? Some good oils are clary sage, fennel, vetiver, ylang ylang, neroli, rose, sandalwood, lemon, and jasmine. There are some other very good oils, most of these can be found at a health and nutrition center or online. If you try any of these, you might want to buy some carrier oil such as almond to dilute the oil because of it's potency.......I can also recommend trying to loose the weight very slowly. That is what I did when I lost the 100 lbs. I was in my late 40's and my skin does not sag to my knees. As a matter of fact, most people think I look younger than my years.......Keep hydrated and develop a good skin care regimine. Good luck!