Losing weight can help my arthritis

You're on Page 4 of 4
Go to
  • from me too.
  • I am new here but I know what you mean about the weight making your arthritis worse. I have lupus and I am 52 and a waitress. Right now my feet hurt after work so bad I need to ice them when I get home. I really need to stick to something and lose the weight. I am going to start today. I know how to eat right but I am a fast food aholic.
  • In addition to the glucosamine/chondriton, there is a product by New Chapter called Zyflamend. It is a "natural" anti-inflammatory but it is also endorsed by Dr. Weill. It is a bit pricey but I am going to give it two months. I take other supplements for assisting with inflammation and fibro, so will have to evaluate whether it is the Zyflamend or the other combination.
  • Although losing weight has definitely helped my arthritic knees and ankles, I don't imagine I'll ever give up my glucosamine/chondroitin regimen.

BTW . . . here's a good article about those magnetic devices (bracelets for example) and their effect on pain . . . http://www.everydayhealth.com/altern...iving_20080824

I bought one and wore if for a few weeks, but found that it was making my wrist sore to wear it at night so took it off and never got back to it -- for me, it didn't seem to make any difference.

Anybody else tried them?
  • Well . . . another day of rain . . . another day of lots and lots of aches and pains. Oh well, eventually this will pass.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I've started the new SEPTEMBER ACCOUNTABILITY thread up in the Sticky area . . . would love to see you all over there if you feel inclined. Some of us find it really helps us stay focused to post in there regularly. Although it looks like I'll be calling August a 'maintenance month', I have great hopes for September.
  • Hi all, The rain really sends my arthritis into over drive. Since we're discussing immflamation therapy, I just thought that I'd add that I have to be careful some of the over the counter medicines; they can actually make things worse.
  • Am happy with Mediterrean Diet - and the fish oil seems to help with inflamation. (lots of veggies and beans with olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Down 13.5 lbs 53.5 to go!
    Weight loss slow for me - very limited with exercise because of advanced hip arthritis (and the knees not so great either!!!). Do 20 min. arthritis exercises 3x week - Walk dog 1 mile total per day (slowly) and have added chair dancing - which is only way I can get an aerobic activity in.
    Kind of fun!!! I do it to Disco - and move my arms any way I feel and it does get heart rate up. Doing 11 minutes at a time and hope to increase time.
    1st hip replacement scheduled for February - hope to be down total of 40 lbs by then - and then will have to maintain awhile and then slowly lose before 2nd hip replacement.
    Oh yes - I climb 10-12 fights stairs each day - because I have to - living in a 3 story house and working in a building 2 flights up - no elevator!
  • Quote: Am happy with Mediterrean Diet - and the fish oil seems to help with inflamation. (lots of veggies and beans with olive oil and balsamic vinegar). Down 13.5 lbs 53.5 to go!
    Weight loss slow for me - very limited with exercise because of advanced hip arthritis (and the knees not so great either!!!). Do 20 min. arthritis exercises 3x week - Walk dog 1 mile total per day (slowly) and have added chair dancing - which is only way I can get an aerobic activity in.
    Kind of fun!!! I do it to Disco - and move my arms any way I feel and it does get heart rate up. Doing 11 minutes at a time and hope to increase time.
    1st hip replacement scheduled for February - hope to be down total of 40 lbs by then - and then will have to maintain awhile and then slowly lose before 2nd hip replacement.
    Oh yes - I climb 10-12 fights stairs each day - because I have to - living in a 3 story house and working in a building 2 flights up - no elevator!

You have inspired me to take the stairs to get to my classroom! Also, to get off my buns and get some exercise!
  • Hi I've been using my elliptical machine and its really easy on the knees. I think it helps my arthritis pain too!
  • I have lost 50lbs. But for the last 8 months I have not lost a thing, and bounce back and forth 1-4lbs.
    My "A" in my knees and ankles still hurt a lot and it is so hard to walk. I hate taking pain meds but sometimes I have no other choice.
    I would like to lose another 45 lbs. I'm thankful that I have'nt gained but I'm stuck and can't seem to get started back on my weight loss plan.
    I'm hoping with the support here I can get back on track to lose the rest of this weight, and hopefully feel better.
  • Hi I haven't checked this site in awhile. The cold weather certainly doesn't help the arthritis. Every pound I take off helps though. The exercies is helping, but losing more weight should help even more.
  • Hi all...I am new to this site and looking for motivation, I hadn't even considered the thought that losing weight would help with my arthritis. Thanks for your input, I'm looking forward to getting started.

• The reason I went on this diet was because of my knees. They were getting so bad that I did not know what I was going to do and a friend of mine said, "just loose 10 pounds." I have now lost 15 which is really something for me. And my knee problem has almost cleared completely up. My goal is about 40 more pounds but I am amazed at how much better my knees have gotten. I was scared spitless that I was going to be on a walker or in a wheel chair as I got older. glad to be here just for today.
  • I find the glucosamine and chondroitin don't really help the pain, but they really help ease the morning stiffness!

• So, overate today but oh well.