3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Age 50+ (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50-217/)
-   -   ~golden Girls~ July (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/age-50/116584-%7Egolden-girls%7E-july.html)

ladyinweighting 07-17-2007 06:17 AM

Welcome Piano!

:welcome2:

I'm so glad you found us. This is a REALLY wonderful group of ladies. Glad you've decided to be one of our group!

Lynn

floridarusty 07-17-2007 08:30 AM

Hi Moxie, good going on the 2 bike rides in one day....hope the rest of your week gets better.....I know it will....

Welcome, Piano51.....hey can we have a first name to call you by? You'll like it here, a GREAT group of women.

Lynn, Congrats on making the 20 lbs.!!!!!!!!!!!!! WooooooooooooHooooooooooo
I'm so proud of you but remember I'm sneaking up behind you! lol Good going.

Heading for Orlando this a.m. so I need to get moving here.

Y'all have a great day.....Phyllis

lynard21 07-17-2007 08:40 AM

Checking in on Tuesday

Hi GGs

Well, I actually lost a pound (horray!)...must have been those good vibes you girls sent. Still not back to mt "ticker weight", but almost.

Wecome Piano 51:welcome2: Please join us and write when you can. We all support each other here.

You know, after my weigh-in last night I felt renewed and inspired. I went home and had fruit instaed of ice cream. Hooray for me!

Lynn, We'll keep those positive vibes coming your way. Good luck with all the tests.

Lyn

ladyinweighting 07-17-2007 08:48 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I found a neat new website - you enter the distance you walked, the time it took, and your weight & it calculates the calories you burned http://walking.about.com/library/cal/uccalc2.htm Zoe & Margaret, try this one for bicycling - http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html

OK - I did my walk on the canal - this time with a pedometer. Walked 3 miles in 1 hour - a LOT better than last time - a LOT cooler this morning.

Today I have to revise my syllabus for the course I teach - begin next week. The University of Phoenix is VERY good about listening to the students and faculty. They revised the generic syllabus based on our comments - now I need to revise my personal syllabus - we must keep the same objectives, but we can change the activities & assessments & scoring points.

This afternoon is my ultrasound & this evening, my df is coming to my house for dinner & then we are going to my new gym for a swim.

Hi Cat, you are beautiful in both photos. OMG forgot you for 2 hours! What a nightmare.

Hi Phyllis, I'm so glad you like the Karma checks. You won your bet - I hit 165 (actually, 165.8, but I'm in the 165's) this morning. I don't understand why the deep breathing and brisk walk would make you more hungry - maybe add some protein to keep up with the calories you're burning?

Hi Zoe, I love your story about travelling with your kids. When my dd was little, she and I took a trip to New England - she was the navigator (I thought it was a good way for her to learn how to read a map). I turned wherever she told me to. She took us to a town named "Pleasantville." When we got there, she was VERY disappointed bc the people were no different from anywhere else.

Hi Piano, Great to have you posting with us. I used to do a LOT of work in Columbus OH with the Dept. of Education. Your state was using a test for beginning teachers that I administered when I worked at ETS.

Hi Karen, sorry those folks are being so rude. I have a df who has a "foster home" for dogs. She cares for them until the shelter finds permanent homes.

Hi Margaret, sorry you're having a dumpy month - me too. When I went to the Hearst Castle, I got a video. I'll have to pull it out and re-look. It was many years ago. Fantastic place, isn't it?

Hi Phyllis, have a nice day in Mickey land.

Hi Lyn, Congratulations on the lb lost & on the fruit instead of ice cream!

Hope we all have a Happy and Healthy day,

Lynn

femmecreole 07-17-2007 09:17 AM

Good Morning Ladies!
Another soggy day in Southern LA (surprise!)

Welcome, Piano, you'll love this group...they just swoop you up with a great big HUG!!

Lyn, congrats on the weight loss..it is so motivating isn't it??

Lynn, good luck with the sylabus and thanks for that link..gonna bookmark that baby!

Looks like I have a couple of hours of work ahead of me that I need to get busy with, then maybe I can have the afternoon off. hope so, but I never know what the next email will bring. I thought I would have yesterday afternoon off, then got slammed around 10 and didn't stop till 7...then the "shrimp man" knocked on the door selling absolutely gorgeous shrimp, so I ended up buying 20lbs from him and spent the next several hours peeling shrimp, freezing them and making a huge pot of shrimp stock to save to use later for etouffee. My oldest Son came to visit for a couple of hours last night. My husband had to work till midnight, so I was happy for the company.

Bobbolink 07-17-2007 09:39 AM

Good Morning everyone!
Sorry, I haven't been lurking or responding to this thread. Yesterday and today we're packing up MIL and will move her into new digs on thursday. Sorry Karen, I forgot to respond to your personal message. Theresa and Zoe can get thru on my email address so I'm guessing you don't have it typed in correctly. Try again?!
Bobbi

Jayjay55 07-17-2007 11:49 AM

Morning all you GOLDEN GIRLS and thanks for all the compliments about my darling son -- I am quite proud of him and his accomplishments. Makes me sad his father never knew him as an adult. I haven't watched him race since he was about 17 (yikes 10 years ago). Funny story he was racing in the BC Summer Games (mini Olympics). He was on the biking team and they needed one more rider for the road race -- he had never really ridden or trained for a road race -- but his coach said we just need you to finish. Someone loaned him a bike and he entered the race -- it was three or four times up and down a mountain (paved) road. My DH and I were at the top to cheer him on -- whenever he passed us my husband would call out to him to put the bike in a higher gear. Darryl just huffed and puffed and pedalled past us -- I think the total ride was about 20km. When Darryl finished the race he came over to us -- he was just steaming as his father yet again asked him why he didn't put the bike in a higher gear. This was the second time in my son's life I heard him use the "F" word -- he calmly told him father he only had 10 F***ing gears and he couldn't get any higher. Main lesson I learned about my young son at that time is that he is willing to finish what he starts no matter how hard it is and I was so proud and had a good laugh at my husband's face LOL

Yesterday was a high calorie day for me -- and I am pleased that I think that 1900 calories is a high day. There was no offset of exercise so I need to take care of that today.

Zoe - I am a great believer "now" of enjoying what I own and then moving on when I am tired. I buy everything with the thought that in a few years it will be passed on somehow. And that pic of my DS was actually a tame part of the course -- some pictures I have seen -- YIKES!!! I love the story about your adventure -- my goodness you are awesome - I would be scared to do stuff like that.

Theresa -- thanks again for the kind words.

Lyn -- that is so cool about finding your relatives -- talk about Karma. How proud you must be to go watch your DD in a play.

Lynn -- I am sure by the time you read this your ultrasound will be finished. Don't envy you -- I hate that test and having to hold the liquids. Your new gym sounds absolutely great!!!

Cat -- LOL ok I won't ask for GOLDEN GIRL id but you still look extremely beautiful and certainly not as heavy as you have described. My goodness we are our own worst critics.

Piano - WELCOME to the GOLDEN GIRLS, looks like we have much the same stats so I look forward to travelling this journey with you.

Karen -- sorry all those people let you down -- that just sucks I could never treat anyone like that. I am always accused of caring more about other people over myself but I can't help it.

Moxie -- sorry you are feeling dumpy -- is this bad weather that is passing you over -- hope so.

Phyllis -- enjoy Orlando!!!! Have a great time!!

Bobbi -- Good luck with the move - sounds like you have been beyond busy

Well on to another day -- actually it's nice here we have cooled down to about 70ish and its raining so that will clean up all the dust and make the plants happy.

ellabella 07-17-2007 01:50 PM

Hello, all!!! ANOTHER day in dietland, eh? Okay, okay. Another day in my new (healthier) life is what I meant. Drum roll. Tah Dah!!!!!!! I have an announcement to make :soap:. Today I wore a sleeveless top to work. Now to some, that may seem ho-hum dull and what’s-the-big-deal-ish, but for ME, this is a milestone! I haven’t worn a sleeveless top in public for at LEAST two years, and that’s the truth! :yes: Now I KNOW that plenty of women wear them, and simply don’t CARE if their arms are flapping in the breeze, and I’ve actually always envied anybody who could just go ahead and do it, because I am just too danged vain (and insecure) to expose my arm flaps. But I actually put on a tank top when we went to Newport this past weekend after much posturing in the mirror and checking from every angle to ensure minimal flapping, and it wasn’t too bad. Now, I WILL wear those little cap sleeves – they seem, somehow, to actually have a slimming effect, but I NEVER wear tank tops because, frankly, that’s what I look like: a tank. :sumo: But, it’s improving. Twenty-three pounds down, and there’s less flapperooni goin’ on. The biking must be helping the arms, some, too, I guess. Anyway, YAY. Now I don’t have to suffer as much on swelteringly humid days trying to keep all my bulges under wraps. I’ve still got more (bulges) than I want/need, but I’m beginning to feel like I can see a little light at the end of the tunnel, here. :)

Welcome, Piano! We’re so kewl, you’re absolutely bound to love us. Drop in often. Join the party! :dancer:

Karen, if I didn’t have to work every day, I would just LOVE to take in animals who need fostering. I’m like you, though. I couldn’t take them from shelters and then have to give them back. I grow attached far too easily.

Moxie! Sorry about your dumpy month. Come & visit us more often – we’ll cheer you up! Glad to hear about the bike riding. It’s fun, isn’t it? :bike2:

Congrats on the pound, Lyn…me, too. I’ve finally managed to start feeling good about a pound, and not be looking for ten to drop off overnight, yanno? :D
And THANK YOU for that link, Lynn! I discovered that I’m actually burning more calories than I thought with my bike rides! That gave me a boost today! :carrot::carrot::carrot:
Jeeze, Cat…send your “shrimp man” up this way, will you? I’d sure love having someone come to my door with fresh shrimp! I could eat shrimp every day of the week!
Jo-annie, your son just sounds so awesome. What a great job you did with him!!! Is it too late for me to send you MY kids????
Hey, Theresa! Where are you?
Phyllis & Paula..:grouphug:
Well, another meeting looms ominously on the horizon, so I must shove off…

Have a lovely day, my dear Golden Girlies,

TTFN,

Z :twirly:

Bobbolink 07-17-2007 03:09 PM

Why God Made Moms...

Answers given by 2nd grade school children to the following questions:

Why did God make mothers?

1. She's the only one who knows where the scotch tape is.

2. Mostly to clean the house.

3. To help us out of there when we were getting born.

How did God make mothers?

1. He used dirt, just like for the rest of us.

2. Magic plus super powers and a lot of stirring.

3. God made my Mom just the same like he made me. He just used bigger parts.

What ingredients are mothers made of?

1. God makes mothers out of clouds and angel hair and everything nice in the world and one dab of mean.

2. They had to get their start from men's bones. Then they mostly use string, I think.

Why did God give you your mother and not some other mom?

1. We're related.

2. God knew she likes me a lot more than other people's moms like me.

What kind of little girl was your mom?

1. My Mom has always been my Mom and none of that other stuff.

2. I don't know because I wasn't there, but my guess would be pretty bossy.

3. They say she used to be nice.

What did Mom need to know about dad before she married him?

1. His last name.

2. She had to know his background. Like is he a crook? Does he get drunk on beer?

3. Does he make at least $800 a year? Did he say NO to drugs and YES to chores?

Why did your Mom marry your dad?

1 My dad makes the best spaghetti in the world. And my Mom eats a lot.

2 She got too old to do anything else with him.

3 My grandma says that Mom didn't have her thinking cap on.

Who's the boss at your house?

1. Mom doesn't want to be boss, but she has to because dad's such a goof ball.

2. Mom. You can tell by room inspection. She sees the stuff under the bed.

3. I guess Mom is, but only because she has a lot more to do than dad.

What's the difference between Moms & dads?

1. Moms work at work and work at home & dads just go to work at work.

2. Moms know how to talk to teachers without scaring them.

3. Dads are taller & stronger, but Moms have all the real power 'cause that's who you got to ask if you want to sleep over at your friend's.

4. Moms have magic, they make you feel better without medicine.

What does your Mom do in her spare time?

1. Mothers don't do spare time.

2. To hear her tell it, she pays bills all day long.

What would it take to make your Mom perfect?

1. On the inside she's already perfect. Outside, I think some kind of plastic surgery.

2. Diet. You know, her hair. I'd diet, maybe blue.

If you could change one thing about your Mom, what would it be?

1. She has this weird thing about me keeping my room clean. I'd get rid of that.

2. I'd make my Mom smarter. Then she would know it was my sister who did it and not me.

3. I would like for her to get rid of those invisible eyes on the back of her head.

grammpaula 07-17-2007 05:01 PM

I've been busy sewing all day. I got the rush order done and I'm almost finished with the other order. I hope to finish it tomorrow and also the new order I got yesterday for 2 bonnets.
We are getting a little rain today. It's almost a sprinkle. My plants aren't going to get much watering this way.

Lynn- Good luck with the ultrasound. I hate those.
:goodscale: Hey, I see you made the 20 pounds. Good for you!!!

Cat- You look young in the picture you posted from the jazz fest too. We just might have to check your birth certificate to make sure. lol

piano- :welcome2: Yippee! Another Ohio girl!

Lyn- :goodscale: WOOHOO! Another pound gone.

Bobbi- I enjoyed reading the Mom facts.

OK, I have to get ready to go see my dad. My daughter will be here in about a half hour. I forgot to tell you that the social worker came in to see him yesterday. He said he is very depressed and wanted him left on the antidepressants.

meowee 07-17-2007 05:17 PM

Sorry that I've been missing all day everybody . . . things just keep happening . . . including computer troubles -- problems at the cable company.

Soooooo . . . I'm just flying by for a quick little :wave:. Hopefully things will be closer to normal again tomorrow.

Stay cool, gang . . . :carrot:

littlered 07-17-2007 07:33 PM

Hi Girls
Just finished dinner, and am relaxing with all of you. right here.
Just like being at home. ;)
I had a class on drug abuse at work. So I had to go in 3 hrs. early.

Not much going on. My hubby did go back to work yesterday. After 2 weeks off, he was worn out. Now the only company I have at home in the evenings is my dd.

Just gives me a reason to go to bed early tonight.

Hi Piano. :hug:
You have found a really nice bunch here. Just gotta love them all.

Lynn.
Dr. ??? Are you a Dr… and did not tell us? Oh you sneaky girl.;)
congrats on that first 20 pounds. :carrot:Girl you WILL catch up with me yet.
Warm thoughts for your day.

Lyn,
Oh I need you here, I did not have the fruit. That cake is staring at me again.

I had a 1 x 2 in. pc. Oh Lord, I am going to put some in my hubby’s lunch tomorrow, and a nice big one too.

I am so tired for some reason,
and have a Dr. appointment early in the a.m. So I am just sending warm thoughts to every one else.

and lots of hugs. :hug::hug::hug::hug:
good night.

Piano51 07-17-2007 08:15 PM

Hi, everyone!!

I'm reading of all the new from everyone. Thanks for welcoming me.

I was recently promoted. I had the first meeting with the team. What did I do? I brought granny rolls for the team!!! Worse yet, I ate two of them. I did have points left this week--so they were counted. (I'm on Weight Watchers the flex plan)...Lunch of course was a nice healthy salad. <smile>

I weigh in on Thursday. If I don't write back tomorrow, send good thoughts my way.

ladyinweighting 07-17-2007 08:51 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick note - ultrasound was not horrible. They got me through pretty quickly. All your good wishes must have worked!

I'll check back tomorrow morning.

Lynn

meowee 07-18-2007 08:02 AM

Good Morning to everybody . . . :wave: . . . Looks like I'm in the computer world again. Also looks like another nice day here in Atlantic Canada. :cool: Unfortunately, rain is in the forecast for tomorrow. Oh well, I guess this isn't Camelot.

Another FFFF for your enjoyment . . .

Some people actually polish their leatheer shoes with banana peels. Apparently the slippery skin conditions and shines shoes very nicely. What if shoes were actually made from banana peels. Would we call them slippers? ;)

Anyway . . . got to get about my rounds. Other than that, nothing too exciting in my plans for the day. Trying to keep up with the "kitten kapers" will probably be challenging enough. :dizzy: Have a great day eveybody and I'll see you all later . . . :carrot: